Monday, June 13, 2022

Finding Your Peeps

 

Well over ten years ago, when I was an aspiring author (and I’d been aspiring for quite some time at that point), my agent at the time encouraged me to read a book called Petticoat Ranch by Mary Connealy. I’d never heard of Mary, at that time, but my agent thought that her style might appeal to me because I enjoyed writing snappy dialogue, humor, and adventure in my books.

I'd been trying to get published for about five years at that time and was pretty alone on the journey. As a mom who worked outside the home and had five young children, writing groups (if there had even been some nearby) weren't an option.

Sure, writing a book only involved me and my characters, but continuing on the writing JOURNEY required more than that. We needed community.

So...I read Petticoat Ranch and loved it, then proceeded to do what any passionate reader who has just been blown away by a book does. I emailed Mary Conneally and proceeded to fangirl for a good three paragraphs. 

Being the gracious lady Mary is, she emailed me back. We had a few exchanges, at which time she found out about all my aspiring and encouraged me to check out Seekerville.


That single connection led me on an amazing journey to find “my peeps”, my community.


Not only did I learn great information about the pre-published world, but I gained encouragement and understanding. In fact, I felt so connected that I even celebrated getting bossed around by Ruthy, on occasion. (I also might add that I was highly encouraged to read Julie Lessman's KISSING books and know swoon-inducing kisses could even show up in CHRISTIAN books).


These ladies and their guests UNDERSTOOD!


They knew the struggles and baby steps of trying to find where you belonged in the writing world. They understood the contest rotation and the pile of rejection letters. They "got" the loooong wait and the unanswered requests.



And through the world of Seekerville, I met other people in the comment section: Other strugglers, learners, readers, writers, and dreamers to build my community. 


To be honest, I don’t think I’d be in the same place in my writing life right now if it hadn’t been for co-travelers on this writing journey. They've been SUCH blessings to me.

So as you're looking for YOUR community, keep in mind there are different ways to build community.


Here are three different types of people that make up my writing journey.


  1. People who are at the same place as you are or a little ahead. - The Seekers were ladies who’d been on the writing journey longer than me, so what they provided was a little bit of a road map for me. They offered helpful tips, but also truths I needed to hear to give me a more well-rounded perspective on this journey. Cinderella stories happen in the writing world, but they’re rare, so The Seekers helped me “train” for the marathon but HOPE for the sprint on the writing journey :)


  1. People who are a little behind you in the journey - As Christians, it’s important for us to not only have people who mentor us, but to also take what we learn and mentor others. The writing journey is similar. There’s sometimes beautiful about taking the encouragement others have given me along the way and then passing that encouragement and knowledge to newer writers. It’s a mutual encouragement. AND it continues to build that community that we all need. 


  1. People who cheer you on in the journey - Not everyone on our writing journeys will be writers. In fact, our writing group may include a WHOLE lot more readers than writers. I can’t tell you how very humbled I am for my Street Team. Some of these readers have been with me since I first became published in 2015. Having them cheer on my stories and listen to me share my struggles and victories, means so much to me.


So let me encourage you to find your people. Hang out on blogs, engage in reader/writer groups on social media, encourage and celebrate other writers (lots of times this will put you in the way of other people who love those writers too), and spend some time with those amazing readers. These things do not have to take a lot of time, but they can really make the journey much more amazing and sweet. 

And, even better, they build a community where we not only receive, but we have opportunities to give back.


Which...is kind of how Seekerville got started in the first place and I'm incredibly thankful for it.


How have you built your writing community? If you're a reader, what do you enjoy about the bookish communities in which you are involved?

*******************************************


GIVEAWAY: Leave a comment below and have your name put in the drawing for a paper copy of my upcoming book, The Heart of the Mountains, which is releasing on July 1. (USA only)


To learn more about me and my books, check out my website at www.pepperdbasham.com 



30 comments:

  1. Pepper!!!! WELCOME TO SEEKERVILLE! I'm so excited to have you here, girlfriend! And huge congratulations on your growing success... I am so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Ruthy. I'm so grateful for you.

      Delete
  2. Peppy, how fun! Mary is also the reason I came to Seekerville. She was a contest judge and reached out to me from behind her judge mask.
    I have learned so much here, from technical tricks in the tutorials to the "soft" skills of how to comport myself as a published writer (i.e., do not defend yourself if a review is less than stellar. Just don't.) I've had supportive writer friends before, but I love that this all takes place in a spiritual context. When one of us succeeds, that's one more voice for Christ. A rising tide etc. etc.
    Pepper, I am looking forward to getting to know you in a different context.
    Captain America would be proud!
    Around here I am known as Kaybee. It's a long story...
    Kathy Bailey
    Also happy to be here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy! I remember "Kaybee" from when I used to frequent Seekerville years ago and it's great to get to "see" you again in this context :)

      Delete
    2. Kaybee, I still think about your wagon train books! In fact, I can't find mine now...it had to be on Kindle, right? It should be there in my library. I've wanted to write a wagon train book for a while and keep ducking it. If I do it, I'll start my research by rereading your Oregon Trail books. If I cant' find it, I'll buy the books again and start over.

      Delete
    3. Mary, don't let Oregon Trail intimidate you. It's actually very forgiving for the writer. You don't have to memorize dates and battles (CIVIL WAR), you don't have to know a complicated set of manners (REGENCY). You need to have a basic idea of what's going on Back East, but the real drama is between your characters. I can just see one of your high-spirited heroines stomping around the wagon train and butting heads with a strong-minded hero. Go for it Mare.
      All my stuff is available on the Pelican Book Group Web site, so go nuts.

      Delete
    4. I might just do it. I know once I started it'd get done but starting, hitching up those teams, the wagon wheels creaking as they start to roll. A whiplash cracking. Lots of stuff to remember and get right!!!

      Delete
  3. Welcome, Pepper. I look forward to seeing your blog posts. I love Seekerville. I am still trying to move forward with my writing, but Seekerville offers so much encouragement and writing tips. I feel like I have made so many friends here, even if I haven't met most of them yet. It is such a great community. Please put me in the drawing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, it truly is a great community. I learned so much here but more than that, I just found such encouragement! And when you're on the long-road to publication, you take all the encouragement you can get :)

      Delete
  4. AHHHH! Welcome, Pepper! Your journey is not dissimilar to mine! Mary was one of my first writing friends, and Ruthy destroyed (in a good way) my very first contest entry! I was a SeekerVillager for YEARS, and now here we are all together as SeekerSisters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erica! yes! I met you here as a villager. And I can only imagine what that contest entry looked like! LOL. I think Tina judged one of my contest entries once.

      Delete
    2. HEY!!! Ruthy destroyed one of my contest entries, too. What a sisterhood!!! LOL

      Delete
  5. I'm still in the beginning stages of building a writing community. I started a little five-person writing group that meets online, but we haven't read or critiqued any of each others' work yet. I really want to build a nice big writing community! It's hard to know where to start.
    Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, it's not been the size of the community as much as the consistency. I know "size" seems to matter a lot in the publishing world, but for my heart, it's been more about the depth of relationships and the faithfulness of those who were a part of the group. I think starting small and strong makes a HUGE difference in the long run.

      Delete
  6. Pepper, I can relate to everything you said. The journey is long and oft difficult, but the people we meet and the friends we make along that journey are priceless. Those communities encourage us and give us the strength to keep going. I'm so glad you're a part of our, Pepper. Welcome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Mindy. The people make the journey! Thanks so much!!

      Delete
  7. Pepper, we're all so glad you're part of the Seekerville sisterhood! Congrats on your success. Yes, writers need the support of peers, mentors and faithful readers, but they also have to work hard to achieve their dreams--and that's what you've done! So proud of you and all you've accomplished! Sending lots of hugs and high fives!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby! Thank you so much! I feel as though it takes a lot more than a village but a few herds! LOL

      Delete
  8. Pepper, I love this post! I remember the day I "stumbled upon" Seekerville so well. I was welcomed in immediately!
    There is no group more precious than a bunch of Christian sisters moving toward the same goal, is there? Seekerville is that for me, along with our local ACFW chapter.
    Even introverts need their peeps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan! That Christian sisterhood is so dear - and add Christian writerly sisterhood and it's even sweeter! (and haha to the introvert-comment)

      Delete
    2. Beautifully said, Jan! Seekerville and ACFW have been godsends for encouragement and growth in my writing journey. Thanks for your friendship, Jan. At Seekerville and beyond!

      Delete
  9. Pepper, I loved this post. I have been so blessed by people who have come alongside me on this writing journey as well. The Seeker ladies and the commenters have definitely been encouraging on my writing journey. I've also been blessed to be mentored by some amazing authors. And, I'm always looking for people who I can come alongside and encourage/mentor. And, I'm thankful for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This may say I am anonymous, but this is Kayla.
    I have emailed Miss Ruthy, Colleen Reece, and a bunch of other Christian authors as well as come here and also find Facebook groups. I love coming here because it makes me see that there are people who are using fiction for God and, at the risk of sounding vulgar, are actually making money doing it. I love being bossed around by Miss Ruthy. I don't consider it bossing; just common sense practicality in my opinion.
    Finally, I have managed to navigate around this weird commenting system and managed to write a comment.
    Um, I am blind, so I can't have a paperback copy. I am just happy I can comment and finally express an opinion.
    Oh, and the prayers and advice from writers really came into play this week when I stressed about finishing a draft and trying to figure out my process. Along with being told that I can get through this and if I have the desire to write, God has given me that gift; I have also been told that God has a purpose for me. He loves me and I matter so much to Him. That helped even more paired with the writing advice.
    Forgive me for rambling. I am just glad you guys can hear me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Because I stumbled onto Seekerville one day and loved it, I kept coming back. Not just for the wonderful posts and information but for the lovely community. Then I found out that Jan and I love in the same town, so she invited me to the ACFW chapter and now I have online and real life writer friends! All because of Seekerville!

    ReplyDelete
  12. As an avid reader, I enjoy being part of bookish groups on social media. These are people who get as excited as I do about a new book coming out by a favorite author. Of course my favorite authors list keeps getting longer because all these new bookish friends tell about other authors unknown to me. I'm sure I learned about your books, Pepper, because of some post on someone's blog or on Facebook. Now I'm a big fan of your books.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this! I stumbled upon Seekerville one day when a friend asked me if I was doing Speedbo. (I'd never heard of it before.) I was still unpublished at the time. When I found Seekerville, I was amazed to see it was populated with authors whose books I devoured.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is SpeedBo again? Will that be coming back?

      Delete
  14. I LOVE Seekerville. I've learned so much from these wonderful authors and their guests. Simply one of the best resources around. :) So glad you're joining them! (PS Don't enter me in the giveaway)

    ReplyDelete
  15. So glad you joined the Seekers! Fangirling here....love your books and on a mission to read them all!!! Would love to be entered for The Heart of the Mountains.....am still fond of the previous book! THANKS

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm late to the party but love a good Basham book! Keep them coming! :)

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."