Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Oh, How Blessed!

 


I have never needed to make a big splash with my work.

It didn't matter if I was waiting tables, selling bridal gowns, running a Tupperware business or changing diapers and teaching ABCs to preschoolers, it was never about the splash.

It was always about content.

I take that same mindset into writing. 

I'm not jealous of bestsellers.

I've read some that suck....

And I've read some great ones.

It taught me that some things are subjective. 

And that I can only control so much.

I'm not envious of big buck contracts.

I'm not broke. I can pay my bills. I even started an IRA. To me.... that's rich. As rich as I care to be.

I don't lust after fancy cars.

I drive a 2017 Chevy Traverse, a big SUV that drinks a lot of gas. Remember what Obama said in his book? "Americans like big cars and cheap gas..."

In my book, that just makes us smart. But then I'm a conservative.

I drive that 2017 Traverse for our farm.... I drive it for grandkids. I drive it on research trips now that the world has come to its senses and reopened. I drive it because I spent over a decade driving tiny cars (Neons and a Chevy Cruze) and saving my money to drive an SUV.

I always wanted an SUV... I couldn't afford it. So I waited. Because it wasn't worth being broke for, right? It's a car.... But it's a big car and I can fit over a hundred pumpkins in the back of that bad boy.

I call her "The Tank".

And I love driving it. 

But that's not the same as envying others' successes.

I love seeing people succeed. It's a good thing! Most of the time, that is.

Sometimes they fall down. Sometimes they mess up. Mess up contracts, don't write the books, don't get it done for whatever reason.

There's something to be said for waiting your turn at the watering hole. For waiting in line at the playground. For studying the textbook before the exam. Preparation. Preparation is key. It's clutch. It matters.


Ruthy's latest Love Inspired Book, her third "Kendrick Creek" story! 

AVAILABLE HERE!

If you skin your knee a few times, you hang on tighter to the bike. Or you take the curve slower. 

If you get bit up by skeeters ten ways to Sunday, you start putting "OFF" on earlier in the day.

If you've been passed over for contracts a few times you realize how important, special and amazing they are. 

I trust in God.

I trust in His timing.

But nowhere in the Good Book does it say that we should rest while waiting for good things to happen. And that whole Mary and Martha deal?

I'm a Martha and proud of it. Not because Martha was better than Mary or vice versa, but because they should both be celebrated.

So I work hard.

I laugh. I cry. I help others. I bake lots of good stuff, I write great stories and I grow a lot of pumpkins with a lot of help from others.

Yes... I am blessed. So blessed! And smart enough, old enough and wise enough to know it.

So bring on the contracts.... bring on the indies... bring on whatever opportunities God has in store for me because as long as I'm breathing, living, laughing.... I'll be writing.

Because there's nothing like having to wait to have your dreams come true to make those dreams even more special than you ever in your life thought they could be.

Oh.... How blessed! 


Multi-published, bestselling inspirational author Ruth Logan Herne is blessed... we know that because she just told us so! With around 70 books and novellas published, Ruthy splits her time between their family pumpkin farm and writing sweet books while balancing a whole slew of kids, grandkids, friends and family.... Counting those blessings! Stop by her website http://ruthloganherne.com or friend her on Facebook.... or email Ruthy at loganherne@gmail.com. She loves to hear from readers! 

22 comments:

  1. Always great encouragement from you, Ruth. Thanks for telling it like it is. You're like Seekerville's own Paul Harvey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Paul Harvey!!!!!! Nicest compliment ever! :)

      Delete
  2. Ruthy, I totally get this. I was 69 before I was published! That's a lot of waiting. In my case, it was also a lot of mistakes made. I'm so blessed to be able to do this NOW, and to do it more than once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! We don't quit... we don't give up... We put our chins in the air and keep on keepin' on.

      Delete
  3. Great encouragement, Ruthy. You always know just what to say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Sandy, you are the sweetest thing!!!!!! Thank you!

      Delete
  4. Love this, Ruthy! Congrats on your latest story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You pretty much said it all, Ruthy. Blessed. Nothing can compare with contentment. I agree with you wholeheartedly about not just sitting back and waiting for your ship to come in, but continue to work for it, work around it, work until you catch the brass ring no matter what form it takes.

    I celebrate your Chevy Traverse with you. Transportation is a necessary evil and I've always appreciated having it no matter what form it came in - and some of my vehicles have definitely been park-a-couple-of-blocks-away-so-no-one-knows-that-ride-is-yours, LOL!!!

    Congratulations on your newest release. Keep those stories coming, girlfriend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, it's a weird analogy but also true... sometimes we wait for things we want and we make do. Studying pioneers taught me that... they went with next to nothing and built a heartland second to none. That's pretty good inspiration!

      Delete
  6. So true, Ruthy. I am blessed. We all are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Amen to that.... we've gotten the chance to live not just one dream but so many!

      Delete
  7. I love this, Ruthy! How blessed we are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fist bump!!!! YES! Even through trials and tribulations and waiting.... the blessings flow.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. When I'm not being a jerk.... :) I am an equal opportunity employer, LOL!

      Delete
    2. LOL! Encouragement comes in many forms. :D

      Delete
  9. Thank you, Ruthy. Just the reminder I needed today, both in my personal life and my writing life. I am blessed by all of you here at Seekerville.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terri, thank you! We are equally blessed by you!

      Delete
  10. And this is why I love Miss Ruthy. She is like a mix between all-American blue jean pull up your bootstraps toughness and the sweet simplicity of an old Hallmark commercial.
    So I am 29 now. Self, make a note to look back on this when you are in your 50's or 60's if you can and remember that Miss Ruthy said to count your blessings and be content where you are whether you get a bestseller or not.

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."