Wednesday, June 1, 2022

Sparking Ideas

by Mindy Obenhaus 

People often ask me where I find ideas for my stories. And while I wish I could say something like, "Well, there's this secret book and it has all these great ideas," I usually just shrug my shoulders and say, "Everywhere."

The truth is, we never know what will spark a story idea. It can be an event, a personal experience, genealogy research, even a place. My very first book began forming in my mind as I roamed the mountains around the small town of Ouray, Colorado. 

An integral part of any story idea is asking, "What if?" You hear/see/read something and the next thing you know, your mind has latched onto a tiny morsel of information and is already running with it. Sometimes it hits a brick wall, other times you find yourself with the makings of a really good story.

Here are a few places you can find story ideas:

  • The News - Yes, these days watching the news can be torture, but occasionally there will be a nugget buried somewhere in a story that has you asking, "What if?" Human interest stories can really spark things. I saw something on a local news station not long ago that triggered an idea.
  • Research - Sometimes research for one story can lead to an idea for another.
  • Other books or movies - No, I'm not talking about plagiarizing, I'm saying put a spin on them. Have you ever watched a movie or read a book and thought to yourself, "What if this had happened instead?" You know, there are only so many tropes out there. The key is to flip them around and look at them from every angle and come up with a different approach and a whole new story. 
  • Divine Intervention - Ever have one of those moments where a story idea just pops into your head while you're doing something mundane like washing dishes or folding laundry. No matter how crazy the idea might be, write it down, because you just never know. While you may think it's nothing that would lead to something, it could be that God's only giving you what you need at that very moment. If He formed the universe out of nothing, He can certainly get the ball rolling on a story by giving you one tiny glimpse.
The key to finding story ideas is to never discount anything. Even if you have a nugget of something and can't figure out what to do with it, don't cast it aside. Save it, because you never know when you might come across another idea to pair it with. I know this, because the story I'm currently working on is one that first blipped on my mental radar back in 2005. It's been sitting in reserve all these years and has now taken on a totally different incarnation.

Now it's your turn. Writers, where are some odd places you've come up with story ideas? Readers, what do you think when you read a story that's put a spin on a classic trope? I've got a copy of A Soldier's Homecoming, an upcoming a 2-in-1 with my 2016 release, Falling for the Hometown Hero and Renee Ryan's 2010 release, Homecoming Hero for one lucky commenter (US only, please).

Award-winning author Mindy Obenhaus is passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. She lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, two sassy pups, countless cattle, deer and the occasional coyote, mountain lion or snake. When she's not writing, she enjoys spending time with her grandchildren, cooking and watching copious amounts of the Hallmark Channel. Learn more at www.MindyObenhaus.com

31 comments:

  1. A long car trip is the best place for me to let my mind wander, especially those boring trips across the South Dakota or Wyoming! Beautiful country but it's pretty dull after a while.I love human interest stories because my stories ideas are almost always start with a character and nothing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops! I meant to say that nothing is more interesting than a real person living an interesting life!

      Delete
    2. Glynis, yes, driving can really stoke those creative fires. I do that when I get stuck sometimes. Just staring out over the open range and allowing your mind to roam. That's also when speech to text is our best friend so we still take notes. ;-)

      Delete
  2. I love reading a book with a different spin. I just read one about a creamery and found it fascinating. Thank you for sharing. Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucy, as a reader, I totally agree. A new spin on things is always fun. As a writer, I still like the idea, though it takes many more brain cells. ;)

      Delete
  3. Mindy, so much to think about here. I didn't have to worry about ideas for a long time because it took me so long to get published. I had a backlog, so to speak. Or in the words of Mary Connealy, "Be ready." Well, I was ready. Now I'm at the point where I need to dig more aggressively for ideas. But it's fun, isn't it?
    Most of my ideas come from books I've already written, which is why I gravitate toward series. There's always some secondary character who would have a full story if I just developed it a little. My release this July grew out of a character I introduced two books before, so never say never. Shut up, you guys! (Sorry, some of my secondary characters are clamoring in the background to get THEIR books. This is getting ridiculous.) I would love to do a stand-alone, but my minor characters won't let me. Sigh. None of this is easy...
    Working at desk all day, may be back later.
    Kathy Bailey
    Your Kaybee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, that just tells me that you write some really great secondary characters! Though they can get kind of mouthy sometimes.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, and I also have to feed them.

      Delete
  4. Mindy, These are great ideas! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  5. I enjoy reading books that take classic stories and put a modern day twist to them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Mindy, Audra here. I love your suggestions. How many times does that odd idea pop into your head and refuse to leave until you jot it down? To authors, it's important! Write it down!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Audra, inevitably, the time you don't write it down is when you end up wishing you had later!

      Delete
  7. I love that for the creative mind, stories are found everywhere! If I get stuck, I often dive into my research books and ideas start mushrooming. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erica, I can see where those research books would be VERY inspiring to those who write historicals.

      Delete
    2. So true, Mindy. History is just full of odd little bits and pieces that spark ideas. Great comment, Erica!

      Delete
  8. I find ideas everywhere!
    But as I'm working on mysteries right now, I have to be little careful of where my imagination takes me. We have new neighbors. When they built their house last year, they buried the propane tank. One day, the workers dug the pit and then left. The tank was going to be delivered the next day, and as I stared down into that pit that evening (I was out walking the dog,) I could see how easy it would be to hide a body down there. No one would ever find it...unless the propane tank delivery was delayed a few days...

    Yeah. I have to be careful. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Jan! Even the most mundane things can become very intriguing in the mind of a writer.

      Delete
  9. Isn't this about the most-asked question we get? And I loved all the points you touched on, but mostly that Divine Intervention part because I will have ideas swimming in my head that I know aren't right for current projects and then BOOM! something comes along and I get a Holy Spirit moment and I can see that story in that series, but that means I sometimes have to write two or one or three books to get to the story that was in my head.... and God lays that series out for me, mentally, and it's a meant to be moment.... And then sometimes it's a simple sentence uttered and I hold it up to the light (not really, sillies) and think "What if???"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, "What if?" has to be one of the best tools a writer can possess. But those divine moments are hard to beat. It's like God is telling us to keep going.

      Delete
  10. Where do you get your ideas. Such a standard question, I decided a long time ago I'd better have an answer. Most of the time, my story ideas come from researching the current story. Some tidbit of history makes me TINGLE. I know it's good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, I don't know that I've ever heard that before. But tingling is obviously working for you, so keep on rolling with it. ;-)

      Delete
  11. The book I'm writing is about a small town hit by a tornado. I have gotten lots of ideas for it from real life tornado stories. The weatherman is a major character. In the book, he is on the air giving the tornado warnings knowing that his family is in the path of it. I got that idea from our real life weatherman years ago who was on the air during a major tornado, not knowing if his family was OK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, you need to hurry up and write that story because I want to read it NOW! My heart is pounding just reading your comment.

      Delete
  12. Blueberry Picking! I've had lots of ideas while blueberry picking.
    I also have lots of ideas inspired by movies and books! I'll say, "what if THIS character and THIS character (from a different movie/book) were thrown together...in [fill in the blank] setting?" I love to do that. Of course they always end up being their own characters by the end; they evolve :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AA, I have such fond memories of picking blueberries with my grandparents in Michigan. Though I think the only thing I was thinking about then was the blueberry pie Grandma promised to make when we got home. But, yes, that is one of those mundane things that can really get the mind to spinning. I like your other idea, too. I might have to try that sometime.

      Delete
  13. Interesting post, Mindy! I love it when an author puts a creative twist on a trope or writes a historical novel based on a little-known slice of history that is fascinating. Being a reader is much easier than having to come up with creative ideas for stories! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winnie, I'm tempted to agree with you, however one nice thing about being a writer is that we're in total control of whatever happens. In a world that often feels out of control, that's kind of nice. ;-)

      Delete
  14. Oh, I LOVE the idea of a book with a spin on a classic trope! Tropes are 100% my thing. :)

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."