Wednesday, July 6, 2022

Finessing a Story


by Mindy Obenhaus

Today's post come from the vault but has some great tips for polishing that manuscript before we send it off. 

I have a book due in less than three weeks. The story is out of my head and on the page, the metamorphosis from idea to book almost complete. But before I can submit this story, it must be finessed.

Finessing involves skillful maneuvering. As writers, we need to skillfully, purposefully, write our stories in a way that takes readers on a journey and leaves them basking in the glow of a satisfying ending.

When finessing a manuscript, there are certain things I look for.

Have I adequately described each setting? 

Each and every scene needs a sense of place to ground it, otherwise you just have talking heads. However, too much description can bore a reader. Too little leaves them wanting and maybe even feeling a little lost. Determine what aspects of your setting are important, then sprinkle those details throughout the scene. Also, ask yourself if you’re showing the reader the scene, allowing them to see it through the POV character’s eyes, or if you’re telling them. 

Showing is always better because it allows the reader to experience the story.

Strong word choices.  

Is your character running, hurrying, scurrying or speeding? Each of these words means, essentially, the same thing, but which is best for the context of your scene? If it’s a lighthearted scene, your heroine might be scurrying to gather things for a party. On the other hand, your police office hero would likely race or speed to the scene of an accident. 

What words best fit the emotion and feel of your scene?

Are my characters actions/reactions believable and appropriate?  

When I receive my line edits, they sometimes contain notes from my editor saying things like, “This seems out of character for her.” Or “His reaction is too strong,” or even, “Not strong enough.”

Whether it’s in word, thought or action, a character’s response to an event or comment, needs to fit not only who the character is becoming, but who they are at their core. Yes, your meek heroine might need to show a little backbone, but does her response show growth and change, that she’s finally standing up for herself, or does she simply come off as rude?

Even as they change, your characters will remain true to their essence.

Characters’ journey. 

Reading is about watching someone embark on a journey. Hopefully, your main characters have grown during the course of your story. But will the reader be able to see that growth?

When a baby is born, he or she is completely helpless. Newborns can’t feed themselves. They can’t hold up their little heads. They can't sit up and they’re only mobile when someone carries them from one place to another. Yet week by week, month by month, they change and grow. So by the time baby’s first birthday rolls around, he or she can do all of these things and more. 

No matter how long or short the timeframe of your story, the characters need to grow and change. But don’t just ask yourself what they can do at the end of the story that they couldn’t do at the beginning. Make sure your reader knows how they got there. Show those baby steps of growth along the way. How did the heroine who was deathly afraid of horses end up being comfortable in the saddle? 

And if you’re writing for the Christian market, don’t forget about their spiritual journey.

Writing a book is a process. All of the elements have come together for a story to be successful. Taking the time to finesse will help ensure the finished product is the best it can possibly be.

Now it's your turn. Readers, in your opinion, what makes a good book great? Writers, how do you know when your manuscripts are ready to submit?

Award-winning author Mindy Obenhaus is passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. She lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, two sassy pups, countless cattle, deer and the occasional coyote, mountain lion or snake. When she's not writing, she enjoys spending time with her grandchildren, cooking and watching copious amounts of the Hallmark Channel. Learn more at www.MindyObenhaus.com

16 comments:

  1. Mindy, a lot to mull here. There's so much we can still miss, even after draft after draft after draft. And we of course want it to be perfect. But to be perfect, the "bones" don't show. I'm working on that now, shoring up my WIP and making every word and action count.
    It's nice to catch stuff before the editor does, isn't it?
    Right now I'm working on my hero's motivation and spiritual journey, which is less clear than the heroine's. Nice guy, but a little fuzzy yet...
    Worked really hard yesterday and will work really hard tomorrow, so going to beach with younger daughter today. The sun came out just in time. But doesn't it always?
    Kathy Bailey
    Your Kaybee
    Putting the finishing touches in New Hampshire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, a beach day sounds delightful. Good for clearing out the cobwebs in one's mind. And I hear you on fuzzy characters. I'm dealing with one of them right now. She's a tough nut to crack.

      Delete
  2. Such a great list of tips and tricks. Making sure a character doesn't grow too fast or doesn't start out too perfect has always been hard for me. I know where I want the person to end up and I'd like to just go from A to B without the difgicult journey but the journey makes the story! Maybe this says something about my own journey through life as well LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glynis, you are so right. The journey does make the story, especially in the inspirational field.

      Delete
    2. Glynis, it would be so nice if we could journey through this life without issue. But we all know difficulties will find us, no matter how hard we try to avoid them. It's just a part of life. Which means our characters have to face them, too. And honestly, it can be kind of fun sometimes. Knowing they're going to be so much better in the end because of the trials they're facing along the way makes it a little easier to torture them. ;-)

      Delete
  3. Good morning Mindy. I came over here early because it was my day. And oops. My day was yesterday. I apologize for being a no show but I enjoyed your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Mary. Those Monday holidays always mess things up.

      Delete
  4. Your timing for this post is perfect, Mindy! I'm steamrolling toward the end of my WIP. :-)

    One thing I do at this stage in the writing process is to make notes for revisions I need to make after the story is done. Things like "give secondary character B more time with heroine to flesh out her side plot." When I start my revising process, I already have a list of things to work on!

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, I couldn't help wondering if your desk looked like mine with sticky notes everywhere with those little revision notes.

      Delete
    2. Sticky notes, scraps of paper, writing in the margins of my notebook...I do it all. *eyeroll*

      Delete
  5. I'm at this point right now with my WIP.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post, Mindy. Working on the character growth from beginning to end is something I constantly work on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, it's not always easy. Matter of fact, I'm struggling with that right now with one of my characters. ;-)

      Delete
  7. I am re-drafting a story again and am still figuring out my process. I used to try and write to the end without editing, but it doesn't seem to work. So now I am editing as I go and intend to come back to this post again as I do it. Taking character and plot notes as I go so this makes sense.
    Oh, this is Kayla by the way. For some reason I cannot log in here so I guess I will have to tell you all who I am in my comments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kayla, sometimes we have to go back because things change throughout the course of the story and they, often times, force us to adjust things a few chapters prior. Which then makes finessing even more important so we can be certain the changes are consistent throughout the story. You may find that your process changes slightly with each book you write. But you'll find your groove. :-)

      Delete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."