Monday, July 25, 2022

Growing your Research Library

 Erica here today, and I have a problem. 

I am a history junkie, and to feed the need, I buy history books. I claim it is for researching my novels, but in truth, I just love reading history books!


In my library!

I've learned over the years that assembling a useful research library is something that takes time and thought. It's easy to buy books willy-nilly on every topic that interests me, but that isn't necessarily the most prudent use of time and resources. I need to hone in on the books that will give me the information I need to write my stories, whether something specific to the story or a more general knowledge of the time period and setting. 



My desk in my library with my little mascot Jane Austen.

My American History Collection

Here are my tips for building a research library:

Before you buy any books:

1. Settle on a genre/era to write. If you are experimenting with medieval, Victorian, World War II, and Biblical Fiction, your research is going to be all over the map. Before you buy any books, determine your era. If you're dabbling in lots, use the internet and the library for information.

2. Plot your story, at least a rough outline, to determine the information you're going to need to gather. Get a rough idea of your research needs before you start buying books.

3. Ask someone who writes your genre what their three top 'go-to' research books are. 

4. Consider a budget. It's easy to start popping things into your online shopping cart and before you know it, your entire budget is gone, but you've still got research questions.

When buying books:

1. Be sure to get at least one book that gives a broad overview of the era you wish to research. A history of the American West will serve you better than a dissertation on qualities of blacksmithing iron on the Oregon Trail, for example.

2. Select books on a variety of topics in your era. A cookbook from the era will clue you in on a major facet of the history. A book on clothing and fashions of the time period helps with character descriptions. Architecture, politics, and major world events bear looking into for your selected era.

3. Consider books that specialize. If your hero is a doctor in the Regency, find a book that discusses medical practices of that time, or a biography of a Regency doctor. Writing about a cattle drive? The diary of Teddy Blue called "We Pointed Them North" will be invaluable. I have books as specific as South Yorkshire Mining Disasters and The London Pleasure Gardens of the Eighteenth Century. This is where plotting your story a bit in advance will help you, because often you don't know what you need until you need it.

Ways to build your library without breaking the bank:

1. Second-hand booksellers such as Thriftbooks, AbeBooks, Ebay, and others can be a great way to procure out of print history books. 

2. Ask your writer friends who write in your genre if they will let you borrow research materials. I do this with a couple of my writer buddies, and it is invaluable. Not only do we share resources, but if you have a research book you've borrowed from a friend, and you really love it, you can get your own copy knowing you will enjoy and use it beyond the book you're currently researching.

3. Keep your eyes open. I found a great book on Horses and Carriages during the Regency while visiting a used bookstore in Springfield, IL, that used to be the law offices of one Abraham Lincoln. I didn't go into the store looking for Regency history, but there it was. :) Library book sales are a fun place, too. Not only for yourself. If I come across a research book that I think one of my author friends could use, I snap a picture, message them, and see if they want it. My author friends do the same for me. 

4. Realize that sometimes, you will have to shell out for a book you really want. Budget for it. For myself, some books have to come from specialty publishers overseas...often in my case from Pen & Sword Publishers in the UK, which is a treasure trove of research books that can get quite specific as to topic. 

5. Google books online, historical blogs and magazines, and other online resources can help you fill the gaps in your research without spending a lot of money. 

6. Forums. There are lots of forums out there where historical writers gather. If you cannot find what you're looking for in research books, ask on the forums. There is always someone who will know the answer or be able to direct you to a source.

7. Your local library. If they don't have it, they can often do an inter-library loan and get it for you. You can try before you buy.

Places to find research books:

Some resources are listed above. Used book sellers, the obvious amazon.com, boutique publishers like Pen & Sword. But how can you even find the various books to consider buying?

1. Museum stores. Most museums have them, and most are online for you to browse. However, even tiny county museums have giftshops with books. You can call the gift shop, and in most cases, they would be willing to ship you the books you want to purchase.

2. Read the sources/bibliographies of online books and articles. This will often give you a springboard for searching for research books.

3. Check the suggestion banner on amazon. When you look at a research book on amazon, a banner is often present farther down the page that will make suggestions of books that are similar, or by the same author, or in the same historical period. Following that rabbit trail has led me to some really cool finds.



My Regency shelves...though they are fuller now than when this was taken. :)

As you can see, I really do have a problem with my history book collecting...but I don't really want to have the problem solved! :) 

Question for you: Do you like history? Do you like research books?





Jane Austen meets Sherlock Holmes in this new Regency mystery series

Newly returned from finishing school, Lady Juliette Thorndike is ready to debut in London society. Due to her years away, she hasn't spent much time with her parents, and sees them only as the flighty, dilettante couple the other nobles love. But when they disappear, she discovers she never really knew them at all. They've been living double lives as government spies--and they're only the latest in a long history of espionage that is the family's legacy.

Now Lady Juliette is determined to continue their work. Mentored by her uncle, she plunges into the dangerous world of spy craft. From the glittering ballrooms of London to the fox hunts, regattas, and soirees of country high society, she must chase down hidden clues, solve the mysterious code her parents left behind, and stay out of danger. All the while, she has to keep her endeavors a secret from her best friend and her suitors--not to mention nosy, irritatingly handsome Bow Street runner Daniel Swann, who suspects her of a daring theft.

Can Lady Juliette outwit her enemies and complete her parents' last mission? Or will it lead her to a terrible end?


Best-selling, award-winning author Erica Vetsch loves Jesus, history, romance, and sports. She’s a transplanted Kansan now living in Minnesota, and she is married to her total opposite and soul mate! When she’s not writing fiction, she’s planning her next trip to a history museum and cheering on her Kansas Jayhawks and New Zealand All Blacks. You can connect with her at her website, www.ericavetsch.com where you can read about her books and sign up for her newsletter, and you can find her online at https://www.facebook.com/EricaVetschAuthor/ where she spends way too much time!

11 comments:

  1. I love your library!

    I also have shelves and shelves of books in my office and many of them are books I've purchased for research. I have an entire bookcase of books about the Amish, most in English, but a few in German. My German isn't good enough to read them easily, but I do glean some great stuff from them.

    My favorites are primary sources - books written by people who lived during the times I'm researching - but some historical periods have more sources available than others. When I was researching my story set in Deadwood in the 1870's, I found an autobiography of a young woman who had grown up in the town in the late 1800's. It was perfect for my research!

    I've found some of the best books at museum bookstores. National Parks and Monuments are another group of places that have fabulous bookstore. I've also found great suggestions by browsing through state historical societies publishing lists. Most states have them, and if you're writing American historical stories you can find some gems.

    But I have to admit, one of the best sources for research materials (or writing craft books) is when an author friend shares a book or website that they enjoy. :-)

    Thanks for the great post, Erica!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Deadwood autobiography sounds amazing. And spot on for what you needed. The perfect research book can make all the difference, can't it?

      Delete
  2. Great post, Erica! I have amassed quite a few books on surviving the wild, military combat, emergency medicine and the like. They provide great fodder for my suspense stories. I also enjoy purchasing journals when I visit historical sites. I have a journal from a woman in Charleston written during the Civil War. It's a treasure.

    Love your office and bookshelves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Civil War diaries and journals. It certainly makes a difference what perspective the author writes from, doesn't it?

      Delete
  3. I love your library! Since I write romantic suspense, I have a few titles in my library that make for interesting conversation starters. I prefer to have my research in print form so I can take notes. What makes it challenging is that I need to make sure my research is current, since technology is so fluid. I also belong to several writer groups for crime scene writers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, my husband got a bit worried when I started getting books about poisons and police investigations. :)

      Delete
  4. I love this and I am so bummed that farm work has kept me sidelined, but I popped into the computer today and here you are with an amazing post! Not like that's a surprise, Vetsch. :)

    This past year I started going on a book reduction diet. It was necessary. Not just to clean out the extra promo books that I've gotten over twelve years, but the research books. I have donated books all over because the research for contemps that I did ten years ago is usually different today.... and so I'm purging!

    It was time.

    But that doesn't mean I don't order new ones. :) Depending on what I'm writing... although now with the mysteries I'm working on for indie and Guideposts I listen to podcasts about true crime, etc.... it's amazing what tidbits of great information you can pick up with a listening ear while my hands are busy doing something(s) else. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a true crime podcast! Do you have any favorites?

      Delete
  5. Erica, what an amazing post. Not to mention I'm drooling over your long overdue dream office and your packed bookshelves.

    I've been purging volumes that are no longer needed and replacing them just as quickly with new notions and info tidbits that catch my eye. Though I would love to support the publishers and authors of these wonderful research books by buying them new, my budget just doesn't allow it...now when there are so many new novels to be purchased written by authors who captivate and stimulate my imagination (many are on a blog that rhymes with "Keeperville" :) ).

    And then there's Jane. I look forward to her new location visits every newsletter!!

    Audra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a bit of a carousel, isn't it, out with the books you no longer need, and in with books that catch your fancy. :)

      Delete
  6. Thanks for these tidbits on procuring research books Erica. I've recently started writing historical fiction focusing on 1900-1920 and wowzers! What a time in history! There are tons of books on those decades, but it's a challenge to narrow them down.

    For my novel, I contacted a library in the location of my setting and the provincial archives for answers to specific questions. Honestly, I was blown away by the responses I received. Those librarians are AMAZING! The archives was able to send me a map with the exact location of a reading room that was BRIEFLY mentioned in a passage I'd read in another book. They'd uncovered an insurance file from 1890 with the name of the owner of the building and the address!

    Also, another great resource is the organization or association connected to whatever topic you're researching. They'll likely have archives they can dig into and give you firsthand accounts of whatever you need.

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."