Monday, July 18, 2022

Handling a Full Plate


A full plate is better than an empty one, right?


Today’s post is about time management (thanks to Audra for kicking this topic off!) but I’m going to stick to the food analogy for a few minutes, first.

At our church we have carry-in meals once a month. (Fellowship time is important!) When I go through the line, I’m always dazzled by the many choices! Casseroles, salads, breads, sometimes a pot of soup on a cold day, sometimes a delicious brisket (we live in ranching country.) Occasionally a main-dish salad, too. And then there are the desserts…


 
Do I hear any “Amens!?”

We all know that there is no way even a small spoonful of each one of those dishes is going to fit on our plates, but we fill them up anyway.

After all, a full plate is better than an empty one.

Except when the plate starts tipping and a bit of the jello fluff slides onto the floor…or the dinner roll perched on top takes a nosedive for someone else’s plate…or the tuna noodle casserole’s sauce insists on mingling with the oil and vinegar dressing on your lettuce….

Maybe there can be too much of a good thing!

My life is a bit like that. I know I’ve said “yes” to too many responsibilities, and when fall comes I’ll be adding another huge one back onto my plate. And then there is the possibility of a grandchild (or two) arriving in the next year or so. Each of those important things needs a spot on my plate.

How do I give all those responsibilities the attention they need? How do I keep any of them from falling off the plate? How do I make sure I accomplish what needs to be done WHEN it needs to be done?

Time management.

My favorite tool for time management is a planner. And my favorite planner is my Bullet Journal.

Why a planner?

Because our lives are full of details that need our full attention.

I used to just list the things I needed to do on my planner page in no particular order and without a lot of thought, but that could be so disheartening. My list was just too long, and what about the things I didn’t really want to do? Well, it’s easy to just move them to the next day’s list, and the next one, and the next one…

Then I discovered a new strategy: Divide and conquer!

Here’s a picture of my Bullet Journal page for last Friday. It takes me less than five minutes to put this page together in the evening and finish it up the next morning.


 
Do you see how I listed my priorities at the top? There are three of them. Keeping that list to three items is my #1 rule.

Then I divide my tasks into three areas: personal, home, and writing.

I try to list no more than three things in each of those areas, but sometimes the day is extra busy.

The colorful column on the right is where I divide my day into blocks. (I use color-coding to make everything easy to keep in order.) The numbers in that column correspond to the time of day.

If you look at the column, you can see that I’ve scheduled my writing tasks in three separate time blocks. 6:00 am to 7:30 am, 9:00 am to 11:30 am, and 12:30 pm to 3:00 pm. That’s a total of 6 ½ hours spent on writing and writing related tasks.

Now look at the items I’ve listed under “writing” on the left. I usually spend my first writing block putting words down in my WIP. My goal is 1000-1500 words during that block.

The second block is for more writing or tackling a sticky technical problem with my website or publishing.

The third block is for a variety of things. Sometimes I use that time for research. Sometimes for listening to podcasts or reading craft books. Sometimes for writing my newsletter content. Sometimes for writing a blog post.

The key? I know I’m more creative in the morning after my first cup of tea, so I use that to my advantage and do the most important thing first. I also know I tend to be a bit draggy in the afternoons – so that’s when I take care of tasks that require less concentration.

I do the same for the “personal” category and “home” category. I do those planned tasks during the times with the matching colors in my schedule.

Is this method perfect?

No, but it’s as close to perfect as I can get for me. You might find that a different kind of planner suits you better, or that a bunch of sticky notes on your computer screen’s frame is the perfect solution. The idea is to plan our time so that it doesn’t get frittered away.


 
Do I schedule every day this way?

Nope. I schedule my working days like this, but never Sunday, and I usually take another day off during the week for our “Saturday” chores and time off. This is a tool I use to make my work days go more smoothly.

Does this method work?

Yes, it does. When I have my day planned out like this, I tend to get most of the tasks accomplished, just like when I have a reasonable amount of food on my plate!



How about you? Are you a planner?

And here’s an interesting question: if you’re a planner, are you also a plotter in your writing? And if you aren’t a planner, are you a panster in your writing?

Let us know in the comments!  

And by the way, yesterday was a VERY SPECIAL DAY!!! My dear husband and I marked our 40th wedding anniversary. We're spending today enjoying some touristy things and enjoying time with each other. I'll be in and out to respond to comments, though!

Here's a picture of my mom and I on our special day:



I'm so glad the photographer took this picture, although I thought it was a little silly at the time. I had more important things on my mind, right? And I thought my mom would always be there...

28 comments:

  1. Jan, you had me at "color-coding."
    I love your schedule and the idea of doing the important writing when you are fresh. I'm best in the mornings, too, and like to guard that time. Routine tasks can be done when we feel more, well, routine.
    My writing schedule is hash right now for a number of reasons (summer! retired husband! home remodeling! two books out in two weeks!) but I'm going to settle down this fall and winter. I AM a planner and in point of fact have two different planning tools, a regular calendar notebook and some loose sheets that I carry around with the particular day's tasks. Right now the tasks are heavy with PR for book launches and research for the next book, with precious little actual writing.
    I've always had to "write around the corners" of everything else that's going on in my life. Now that I'm semi-retired, there's no excuse for not having a regular schedule.
    It's a process, isn't it? Sigh.
    Kathy Bailey
    Your Kaybee
    Working it all out in New Hampshire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Kaybee!
      I think tweaking our schedule to give writing a place is always a work in progress. There are so many pieces that have to fall into place - and where do we fit in all-important family time? Other responsibilities?
      One of the things I've had to learn is how to "turn off" other tasks to concentrate on the task at hand - the opposite of multi-tasking!
      Although when my children were young and I was chasing active toddlers all day long, multi-tasking was the ONLY way anything was going to get done!

      Delete
  2. Happy anniversary! What a lovely and special photo! Using a planner and being a plotter is something I aspire to but I'm just not sure it's in my DNA. I think I have to find some sort of a hybrid system for both my life and my writing. I need to be more intentional about goals to feel productive but too much of it is stifling. I've been working on writing a mission statement for myself and think that this will help clarify what I choose to put onto my plate in the first place. Often we have to make choices between two good things, like cake or cookies, and need a way to decide which is the best of two "goods". Thanks for another great post. Have a wonderful day celebrating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glynis, love the "cake or cookie" analogy. Sometimes we have to choose between good, better or Best ("Best" being God's highest and best for us).

      Delete
    2. I've thought about this a lot since our conversation on Saturday - we're all wired differently, so we have to find what works best for us.
      I've never written a mission statement, but I like that idea. It will help find what God's "best" is for our lives. :-)

      Delete
  3. I suspect I have undiagnosed ADD. I HAVE to make a list and/or write things down. No way my scattered brain remembers anything otherwise. I also have this weird thing that I personally think of as left brain/right brain (I just made that up) where I have in my head things I WANT to do and things I HAVE to do.
    It is completely normal for me to be planning, actively planning, two things at once for the same day. One a responsibility/appointment/some such thing, the other FUN. I can go really close to the date of something and all of a sudden, it clicks. I've got a lunch on Saturday with friends at the same time I told my husband I'd take the car to the get oil changed. Stuff like that. So yeah, I need to plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same way, Mary. Even with my planner, sometimes there's still this disconnect between two totally unrelated things. I like your "left brain/right brain." It's like two different sets of priorities are competing for my time. Just last month I had to cancel an ACFW Dakotas Zoom meeting because of a wedding happening at the same time. *eyeroll*
      So my planner doesn't completely solve that particular problem, but it's much better.
      It helps when I actually remember to write everything down on the calendar in my planner...and LOOK at what I wrote down when I schedule something else!

      Delete
  4. I also have an almost reflex need to, when someone asks me for something, do it RIGHT NOW! I think this makes me look hard-working and efficient, but in truth, I'm just scared if I don't do it right now, it's be forgotten forever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i do not however, use a planner. I fear I would spend my life looking for it. I keep a calendar that sends me alerts on both my phone and my computer. I write notes on my hand. I text myself or email myself. Buying a planner seems a little orderly for me. My mom always had a franklin planner. Every year a new stack of pages for the notebook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The phone calendar and notifications work for a lot of people. I just always forget to add things to my phone's calendar.
      And I used to drool over the Franklin planner catalog...my husband's company used to buy his for him. I couldn't justify the expense as a SAHM.
      But I've found that I don't use a pre-planned planner. I feel guilty when there's a blank page, or a blank section that I never filled in. That's one reason why I love my Bullet Journal. Lots of skipped days, but no unused pages.

      Delete
  6. Jan, I knew a bullet journal had to be your go-to after reading The Sign of the Calico Quartz. Actually, after the fourth or fifth time your character reached for hers, I had to do a search to find out what it was. I tend to be a gatherer of notebooks and journals. And don't get me started on colorful pens/markers. I mean, why write with black ink when pink or purple is so much more fun?

    I'm a list maker to a point. Some days require a list, others don't. Mostly because if I don't write things down, I'm apt to forget them. Which has made plotting as opposed to pantsing more of a necessity. I just have to many people living in my head to keep everything straight. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the markers! Back to school time is so much fun, isn't it? Every store has NEW MARKERS! And stickers! And fresh, new notebooks!
      My poor husband. He understands my addiction.
      And Emma is the bullet journal user I'd like to be. Her pages are always nice and neat. Orderly. Minimalist. My pages tend to look a bit messy, but that's okay. Every bullet journal is different. Just search for "bullet journal pages" on Pinterest!

      Delete
  7. Happy Anniversary, Jan! Ours is right around the corner!

    I keep a very simple monthly calendar next to my computer...very basic, but it keeps me on track.

    Are you sharing the new project you're adding to your schedule? Interested minds would like to know. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Anniversary to you, too!

      A simple calendar is great. I found that the squares are too small for my purposes, but I know you're Born Organized. A monthly calendar is all you need, and most of the time you don't even need that! ;-)

      And the new project isn't new as much as I'm adding it back in. During the school year I'm a School Program Leader at Bible Study Fellowship. Not only a time commitment for training day and class day each week, but also time for my own study and class prep. It's like a part time job as far as time and energy go - which makes it even more important to keep the rest of my life organized!
      But when God calls, I've learned that the best thing to do is answer. And where He calls, He equips.

      Delete
    2. Good for you! I take a weekly Bible Study class during the school year and always benefit from the lessons! Loved your wedding pic with Mama. My mother died young and those photos of us together are so precious!

      Delete
  8. Happy Anniversary Jan! I love your Bullet Journal. Did you create the journal yourself or did you buy it? I could use one to help keep myself organized and on task. Blessings, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cindy! We had a great day yesterday, just spending the day together. Our plans for today are postponed. We thought we'd rather do local touristy stuff when the temperatures are below 100°!

      My Bullet Journal starts out as a blank notebook (my favorite is the Leuchtturm 1917 with dotted pages,) then I create each page. That's where the creativity comes into play! Each person's BuJo is personal. I use the layout that works well for me, the colors and stickers I like, and include the things I need for my life.
      I also do a monthly calendar page, future calendar pages (up to two years ahead) and if something major is coming up (like a child's wedding) I create a planning page for that event. I also have pages to remind me of my routines - chores for morning, noon, and evening. There are enough pages that each journal lasts for about a year.
      There is no limit to what you can use your BuJo for!

      I also have a separate Bullet Journal for my writing planning and brainstorming. I bought a nine-inch by twelve-inch notebook for that. I needed the bigger pages for planning, and since it stays on my desk I didn't need it to be portable.

      Delete
  9. Whew! I am definitely dealing with full plate syndrome right now. My planner doesn't look like yours, but I have a monthly view and a daily view and that helps me balance writing schedules versus everything else. I also do to-do lists when the tasks get too long for a planner block.
    Also, I love your wedding dress. Happy anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I have no idea why that showed up as anonymous instead of Amy Anguish.

      Delete
    2. A planner really helps keep the schedule seem more doable, doesn't it? When I write things down I no longer have that uncomfortable feeling that I'm forgetting something. :-)

      And I'm glad you like my dress! One of my dreams when I was younger was to make my own wedding dress, and I did. (It was more common to do that 40 years ago!)

      Delete
  10. Happy Anniversary! I began using a planner this year...trying not to make it become my "Book of Broken Promises." :) It's helping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      "The Book of Broken Promises." I love that. My planner rarely has broken promises in it - mostly because (except for appointments and scheduled events) I only plan one day at a time. I usually know how the day will probably go. Sometimes an emergency or unplanned event comes up, but most days I mark off all the items as "done."

      Of course, it helps that I only plan three things per category!

      Delete
  11. Good morning Jan, I'm reading this a day late so Happy belated Anniversary to you and your husband. I admire your organizational skills! I have a yearly planner to keep up with the books I'm reviewing and the launches that I'm taking part in. My appointments are usually recorded on a calendar that hangs on the wall. Yes, in this day of Google calendars I still prefer to have an old-fashioned calendar!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy anniversary, Jan! I'm a list maker...it keeps me organized! I'm a mixture of planner/pantser. I like your planner system, so going to check into it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jan, we were traveling home from vacation yesterday so I didn't make it to Seekerville. I do make lists for everything, but it doesn't always help. I don't feel as creative with bullet journals. Yours is so colorful and very organized. It might be a good one for me, though.

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."