Wednesday, July 27, 2022

The Importance of Goal, Motivation & Conflict.

 

The long days of summer make it hard to stay at the keyboard, but for many of us, they're also a time when we have more time to write. It's with this in mind that I'm doing a re-post.


The reason I'm reposting this particular post is because last week I attended a webinar hosted by FHLCW that featured Shana Asaro. Shana spoke for over an hour and answered tons of questions about writing for Love Inspired and Love Inspired Suspense.

During much of her presentation, she focused on the importance of GMC - the goal, motivation, and conflict needed for a successful submission.I found it particularly fascinating when she mentioned that several years ago, the Love Inspired editors read and studied this book together. That was enough motivation to get me to pull my copy off the shelf and dust off the cobwebs. I figured we could all use a refresher, so here is my original post on the topic.


 Before I begin, a caveat - I can't say GMC by Deb Dixon is one of my favorite craft books (for reasons which I will explain), but there's no doubt it's an important and beneficial one.



You see in many ways I could be that cautionary tale veteran writers use to terrify newbies. Once upon a time, a long, long time ago, when I first began to write, I had no idea that there was such a thing as structure or that stories followed any prescribed formula. 

I should amend that comment. I was not consciously aware of it. But because I was an avid reader, and had been for my entire life, I had a somewhat intuitive sense of story structure even if I didn't know that's what it was.



So, picture me happily writing away without a care in the real world, lost in my own wonderful story world. 


But then I took a break from writing for a while - children, work, grad school, there just weren't enough hours in the day to make it all work, and writing took the back seat. 

Cue the violin music.



No, seriously, the reason I'm explaining that is because I so very clearly remember coming back from my self-imposed writing exile to attend a writer's conference. And I remember being confused because of all the buzzwords I was hearing - and the buzzword that was on everyone's lips was GMC.

GMC. I had no idea what they were talking about. It was like everyone else was speaking a different language.

Finally, some kind soul clued me in to Debra Dixon's book (which had been published while I was off on writing hiatus).

I read it. I saw it's value (which it clearly had since everyone was talking about it!), and I ignored it.

I didn't want to write conflict. 

I liked happy stories.

I didn't want to make them be mad at each other.

Are you laughing at me yet?


I learned my lesson, and that got me book contracts. So here's hoping it will help you too.

I'm going to use a photo of the back cover, because I think this shows why the book is so important.



I could try to give examples, but that would sort of be plagiarism, so I'll just recommend you get yourself a copy if you don't have one to dig out of the cobwebs.

GMC is apparently also a really popular topic here on Seekerville.

If you're interested in looking more into it. check out some of these posts:

Mindy's Engaging Openings

Missy had one in the Archives - Battling Through Your Manuscript...Once Scene at a Time

(Note: Missy really gave a detailed explanation of how she uses a GMC chart.)


Then there are all these GMC posts in the Seekerville archives!


So tell me, are you a GMC chart maker? How do you handle planning the goals motivations and conflict for your characters?

17 comments:

  1. I do have a copy that is getting a little dusty. It's a good reminder that I might need to get it out to help me put this new story that is not taking shape the way I'd hoped. Thanks, Cate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so intrigued to read that the editors studied it together!

      Delete
  2. I first heard about Debra's book on Seekerville so I had to get my own copy. Honestly, it was a challenge to get through. I'm not a non-fiction reader, but I do love good craft books. The one thing that kept me reading was the fact every blog I searched for craft advice mentioned this book, and the examples Debra Dixon used to explain her point. For whatever reason, this one was H.A.R.D. BUT it helped me to understand why each character needed to have a goal, motivation and conflict.

    After reading the book I created my own GMC charts and used them for my first novel. Then I discovered The Story Equation (also mentioned on Seekerville) and ever since, I've been using that book to help me outline/work through GMC. It definitely covers GMC but in a way that is easier to understand (like what's the character's greatest desire - G -, why - M, and what's stopping him/her - C).

    All that being said, I'll have to pull out my copy of GMC now that I've been reminded of it TWICE in a week. :)

    Thanks, Cate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was reading backwards, Lee-Ann, but you and Jan have me convinced to go dig into Story Equation.

      Delete
  3. Good post, Cate, and something we all need to remember. I might have it tattooed on my forearm, if I ever get into tattoos. In my early career I didn't care much about structure, which is why it wasn't much of a career. But I had a brilliant critique partner who drilled me in this stuff, and now it's an important part of my process.
    I liken it to the kitchen, ironically, since that's a place I now spend as little time as possible. If you're making a beef stew, it's pretty forgiving. You can throw in an extra potato to stretch it, you can throw in a leftover pork chop, you can change up the spices. Baking is totally different -- you've got to stick to a recipe. Or else. I think that's analogous to structure. Nobody wants to hear about it (unless it's other writers), but they'll notice on some level if it's not there. Or if you have to eat your chocolate-chip cookies with a spoon.
    Kathy Bailey
    Your Kaybee
    Cooking up weird analogies in New Hampshire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the analogies, Kathy. You're making me think of the first time I baked a cake from scratch. It was rather flat. Same as our stories without some conflict.

      Delete
  4. Interesting post, Cate. Unfortunately, this book doesn't seem to be in print anymore. That surprises me since every author still seems to talk about it. Amazon has a kindle copy for $12.99. I prefer craft books in book format, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best place to buy GMC is from Debra Dixon's website: http://debradixon.com/books/gmc.html

      Sorry - you'll have to copy and paste. I haven't been able to figure out how to post a live link in the comments!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Jan. I updated the post so the link goes to her website instead of Amazon.

      Delete
    3. Same, Sandy. I enjoy reading novels in eBook, but for a craft book, I want print so I can annotate as I go.

      Delete
  5. Mary Cate, I used to be the same way about conflict. Now I kind of enjoy it. I think it's because we don't like conflict in our lives, so why would we want to create it? Yet when we see how much stronger it makes a story, it becomes kinda fun (in a weird sort of way).
    I have my characters' overall GMC for a story and then the GMC for each scene. It's not always easy to come up with one, but you sure can tell when it's missing because the story just kind of flounders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the same thing, Mindy. I answer those same questions before I start writing.

      Delete
    2. Good point, Mindy. I like to think of my adapting it as part of my evolution as a writer. I've learned to make those hard calls and give them problems. Jan, I always have my main GMC before I begin writing, but on a more granular, scene level, it develops as I write. There's still the part of me that is unable to figure out everything in advance.

      Delete
  6. My early (early - I get the time thing) writing attempts were a lot like yours, Cate. But once I read Debra Dixon's GMC, I began to realize how MUCH I didn't know.

    Lee Ann mentioned Susie May Warren's Story Equation, and she's right. It added depth and meat to my understanding of GMC. I can't recommend both books enough!

    Whenever I start a story idea, the first step is to spend a day or so developing my characters' GMCs. Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jan. I've never worked my way all the way through Story Equation, but after you and Lee Ann both mentioning it, I should put it on the TBR pile for future craft book posts.

      Delete
  7. Hi Cate! Oh, my, I remember when GMC first graced the hallow writing halls. Such a new and useful concept, I was amazed it hadn't be formulated before. (That's really dating me, LOL!)

    The common theme I see is "conflict." I had my own issues with conflict, much like yours and Mindy's. I hate conflict and just want a happy story.

    All it took was a discussion in one of my writer groups about changing the perception of "conflict" to "frustration." Now FRUSTRATION, I can sink my teeth into. Once I started looking at my story from that perspective, all my pieces fit into place - well, they don't fit exactly. Not yet. I need to create the right frustrations tailored made for little darlings and then have them deal with it.

    I think that's so much nicer than smacking them with conflict. LOL!

    Thanks for great reminder, Cate!

    -Audra, aka Perpetual Anonymous

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."