Thursday, August 25, 2022

Job #1: They Got Books



by Pam Hillman

I participated in a book fair this past weekend, and a good time was had by all. I hope to share more next month about my experience at A Page Away Book Fair, hopefully with thoughts from some of the other vendors who participated.

But there is one small snippet that fits today’s topic. Wifi and phone service in the venue was practically non-existent. So it was either cash, check, or accept credit/debit card payments offline and hope the payments went through later.

I chose to accept payments offline and took a few like that and they went through later when I was able to get reception. I took a chance, but I went in with my eyes wide open. If the cards were declined, I was prepared to just pray the books blessed the recipients.

It was a situation of THEY GOT BOOKS. I GOT MONEY. (I hoped.)

But where am I going with this? Let me back up for a minute.

The idea for this blog post came from setting up the software for the ACFW Bookstore to be held onsite at the ACFW Conference in St. Louis like IMMEDIATELY! (Seriously, it’s September 8-11th).

As most of you are aware, I’m the ACFW Treasurer. This year when the bookstore ACFW partners with couldn’t make it due to other commitments, ACFW decided to go ahead with the bookstore anyway. I was slightly familiar with some software that caters exclusively to consignment sales, so started the learning curve for that software months ago.

My training for the bookstore staff has been intensive and one step at a time. The main thing in my view is to get to the point of scanning and selling books during the online book sale which spans a three-day weekend. It is imperative that the bookstore get that part RIGHT, making it seamless and a perfect experience for our customers.

In other words, THEY GET BOOKS. WE GET MONEY. (We hope.)

Everything that happens after that… reconciling remaining inventory, paying consignors, paying sales tax, etc. will come all in good time.

Going even farther BACK in time... Where did this “They Got Books…” mantra come from?

A LONG time ago, I was a fresh-faced kid out of college and working my new job at a furnace/heater manufacturer, a company I worked at for 28 years. It was small family run business that was just getting started and they were still preparing invoices by hand. Computer generated inventory, invoices, and bookkeeping was in the infant stages, but with a computer science degree under my belt, my dream was to take the company into the computer-driven age. (Which did happen eventually, btw.)

But when I started, everything was done by hand. Remember I said SMALL company, as in ONE other lady in the office. Her name was Yvette, and she became my mentor for many years. Not long after I started work, during the busiest season of the company, Yvette’s husband suddenly became very ill and had to be hospitalized. There was nothing for it but for her to go be by his side. I can’t remember how long she was out of the office, a few days, a week or so. Not more than that. Thankfully, her husband recovered and all was well on that front.

When she returned to the office and anxiously asked how things went, I plopped two stacks in front of her.

A stack of handwritten invoices.

A stack of deposit slips.

Then I said, “They got heaters and I got money. That’s all I know.”

(Anybody who knows me knows I got the money! lol)

But the thing is, I was pretty much telling the truth! I hadn’t been there long enough to be 100% sure that I had charged the customers for the right widget, gadget, or gidget. And since this was before the time of computers and you-can’t-mess-this-up item numbers where the customer could turn in a list (with the aforementioned you-can’t-mess-this-up item numbers) of what he wanted or the parts guy (there was no department… there was a guy named Jim) could give me a specific item number, sometimes I was left guessing.

But I knew our customers got what they wanted (always Job #1), and they gave me checks, which I promptly deposited in the bank (always Job #2). The rest would fall into place, and if it didn’t, we could figure it out and fix it later. Most of the sales I made were to distributors and dealers for the company so I was confident that any minor errors I made in invoicing could be corrected later. But some of them had driven hundreds of miles to pick up full truck loads of heaters and parts to take back to IL, TN, KY, ME (wherever) as winter approached. Job #1 (give the customer what he wants) had to be done, no matter what.

With the ACFW Bookstore, the Storyfest readers will get the books they love, and that’s Job #1. A happy customer is a repeat customer. The consignors will receive payment for their books they brought on consignment. (That’s Job #2). Everything else will fall into place, with good planning and a healthy dose of prayer.


So what does this have to do with Seekerville? With writing? With reading? With life?

Sometimes you have a hill to climb. You know where the peak is. You have to know what JOB #1 is. In writing, that might be your deadline. Or it might be writing THE END (as the deadline goes swooshing by). With marketing, it might be getting your next newsletter out or writing you Seekerville blog on time. (Ahem.) There are multiple answers to this question, depending on how big or small your project is.

In my “other” life as a grandmother, Job #1 might be to be at my son and DIL’s house no later than 7:30 am on my days to keep their kids so that they can be out the door on time for work and to get the oldest to school on time. Nothing short of the stomach bug or the flu will interfere with THAT Job #1. Trust me!

There are millions of Job #1’s in our lives. Some are as simple as Be There at Seven! Some are much more complicated and involve many moving parts … as I’m finding with learning new software and training others … remotely, even!

So, for whatever project or life event you’re working on, whether it be short-term or long-term, find the Job #1 for that and work toward it with a vengeance, and everything else will fall into place.

What’s your Job #1 for today? Or even for a bigger project that’s looming?

22 comments:

  1. Good morning, Ms. Pam, I admire your knowledge of software and your work in the office keeping books and such. I was a preschool teacher when my husband bought a HVAC business from his boss; they wanted me to learn to run the office, but I wanted to teach. So, our daughter, newly-out of school, took over the job and she was successful! My Job #1 today is making a list for "things to take to the ACFW conf." Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, at that heater mfg co. I worked for, the owner's wife was a pre-school teacher and that's why my friend and mentor Yvette (who happened to be the owner's cousin) ended up working for him. His wife and teenage daughters had had enough of burning the midnight oil and he lured his cousin Yvette away from another secretarial job with the promise of part-time. Poor Yvette (nor any of the rest of us) ever got to go part-time. It was gang-busters all the way! lol

      And, squeeee on the ACFW Conference. I'll be there working in the office and possibly in the bookstore some. And packing???? Ack!!! I'm so far behind on that. And a flood in MS, plus now my internet is OUT and the tech won't be here until late Friday. Sigh. But PTL for a hotspot.

      Delete
    2. Ohhh, I'll get to meet you! So excited!!

      Delete
  2. Job #1. I guess, for a long time, my Job #1 is to get my 1000 words a day written. I hadn't thought of it as Job #1 but now I will and I like it Pam. SEE YOU AT CONFERENCE!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoo-hoo! See you soon, Mary. Yes, Job #1 is definitely get those words down. I love your dedication to that. And Ruthy has that same do-it-or-die dedication. Me, not so much. BUT I did ride a tractor through a flood plain to get to my grandkids yesterday... so I do have my moments. :)

      Delete
  3. Job #1? Every day, that's writing. I've learned that if I want to be a writer, that has to come first (okay, right after the dogs' early morning outside time and brewing the first cup of tea.) If I get up late, that's still Job #1. I just have to work harder to insert that time later in the day.

    And the steep learning curves? That's what keeps us young, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Job #1 today and every weekday hereafter, exercise. I started an exercise program today. I'd planned to go to ACFW conference this year. We farm cotton and out of 3600 acres, we have a tad less than 200 acres of actual cotton due to drought and extreme heat. Maybe I'll get to go next year:))) Hope everyone has a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Pat, I'm so sorry for the dismal year of farming. :( We had severe flooding here in MS yesterday. Highways cut in two, cars washed away. I haven't heard of any deaths, so hope everyone remained safe. My husband didn't have hay on the ground, but he did have several big, round bales still in the field, and some of those were submerged in 2-3 feet of water.

      And... he said a friend of his had bales to FLOAT away. I never dreamed that a big round bale of hay would float! So that must have been some DEEP water!

      Delete
    2. This has definately been an unusal year weather wise for most of the country. Highways cut in two, cars being washed away, that's some scary stuff!

      Delete
  5. And speaking of Job #1... with all the flooding we had yesterday, our driveway was under water. This happens fairly often, but is usually no more than 6" deep and we drive across it anyway. But it was so bad yesterday that my husband wouldn't even drive across it with a tractor. So, he and I got in the tractor and drove through the back hayfield to another road to get to my son & DIL's house to babysit the little ones.

    Neither rain, sleet, or flood will keep Pammy from her babies. lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Job #1? The day of the week is often the determining factor but I always have a book that needs to be read! No, I'm equating that with grunt work because I enjoy reading but I've made it a mission to help spread the need for literacy and to help authors get their books in public awareness. So, reading books to review really is often Job #1!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know the bookstore will be amazing at ACFW! Have a wonderful conference. I'll be at home searching for pics on social media! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been working hard to get as many authors and books there as we can. This year is going to be so exciting with the conference, Storyfest, and the bookstore. :)

      Delete
    2. Awww, I will miss seeing you there, Debby!

      Delete
  8. I really got a new perspective from reading this! My job #1 today was to get to work early (I'm a pharmacist) to make sure the pharmacy was ready to go for the day and to serve people well. I am going to Storyfest and am really looking forward to visiting the bookstore - and I'm sure that I'll be a repeat customer - so thank you for making that happen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! All of the ACFW staff can't wait to share Storyfest and the ACFW Bookstore with you and all the attendees. Can't believe it's happening so soon!

      Delete
  9. To quit worrying about situations where I have done everything I can to remedy the situation and let God handle the rest. Everything is in his Hands anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Job #1 changes. Sometimes it has to do with family, sometimes writing and sometimes schoolwork. Today, Job #1 was editing/brainstorming.

    I'm really excited that ACFW will host a bookstore at the conference. I am so looking forward to seeing you, and the other authors and readers present. Sometimes it amazes me, everything that goes into making a conference work. Including the trust that the technology and systems will behave as they ought to!

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."