Friday, September 9, 2022

Writing Through the Valley - Connilyn Cossette


When I received a diagnosis of breast cancer a little over a year ago, my world was turned upside down overnight. Not only was I facing extensive chemotherapy, major surgery, and radiation but all my plans, both personal and professional, were thrown into disarray. The news came at the end of June when the first book of my new series was due in October and had recently taken on an additional (super-secret) project that was due in December. I’d started both projects but neither was anywhere near completion. Low-level panic ensued. 

In the past six years since being published, I had never missed a deadline. My perfectionism went haywire as I realized I had no choice but to ask for more time to complete both books. Of course, my publisher was more than understanding of my situation and allowed me to stretch the deadline of the first project out a few months—but due to the special nature of the extra project, they were unable to give me more than a few extra weeks. Therefore, I had no choice but to push forward while I was undergoing treatment to finish that project on time. The idea of writing a book during chemotherapy was really daunting and I honestly was not sure I would be able to complete what I had been contracted to do. But I was determined to fight, both cancer and the temptation to give up as I entered the deepest valley I’d ever faced.


However, “chemo brain” is a very real thing and it is hard, my friends. There were days when I literally could not find more than a few words inside my fuzzy brain and times when I would try to read pages from my manuscript and they made absolutely no sense to me. There were days when I was so sick I couldn’t even get my nauseated self out of bed. And days I was just too tired to even pick up a pen. But in this past year, I learned some very important lessons. The first is that I really am stronger than I ever believed I was.


If you would’ve told me two years ago that I was going to battle stage three breast cancer and write two books during treatment I absolutely would have laughed at you. I am a classic procrastinator by nature and, like every other modern American, struggle with the idolatry of comfort. And yet, I did it. I dug into reserves of perseverance that I did not know I possessed and fought fear, doubt, and bone-deep-fall-on-the-kitchen-floor weariness to finish my stories. Cancer taught me to take each day as it came, to not dwell on things I could not control, to give my body and mind rest when it called for it, and to keep moving forward even when I felt like pulling the covers over my head and giving in. It showed me that I am a warrior. 


But of course, I did none of this solely through my own strength. The second lesson I learned in vivid technicolor was the sustaining nature of my Father in heaven. Honestly, when this all began I was absolutely terrified of the suffering I was facing, but as I took each step through the valley of the shadow of death, I experienced a depth of peace I never thought possible. And on days when I had no words in my chemo-addled brain, it was my pleas to the Great Author that provided them. And when I needed help with cleaning my house or folding laundry or providing meals for my family, He sent the Body of Christ to be the hands and feet of Jesus to us. I literally felt the prayers of His people lifting me up from start to finish and keeping me motivated to write stories that would bring glory to the name of the God Who Hears and the God Who Sees. 



However, even when the first book was complete and submitted and I had a whole six months to complete the second one, new challenges surfaced that would test my hard-won perseverance and strength. My parents fell severely ill, which also revealed that both of them were suffering from much more severe dementia than we knew and that my father was in late-stage metastatic cancer. Two weeks after my deadline, I flew to Washington to help move my dad to a memory care facility since he no longer recognized anyone and relocate my mom to Texas near me so I could oversee her care. It’s been a long period of adjustment for all of us, none of it easy, but through it all, I continued to write. 


The bonus lesson in all this was what an incredible gift writing can be in seasons of hardship. Just like books invite readers to immerse themselves in a different time and place, writing allowed me to take the focus off my difficult circumstances and instead take regular vacations to my storyworld. Letting my imagination whisk me away from the realities of sickness and pain and grief, even for an hour or two a day, was a huge blessing and kept me from falling prey to depression, even when my Dad ended up passing away two weeks before my second deadline extension for the next manuscript—leading to yet another request to my incredibly patient and understanding editor for a few more weeks to finish up the book while dealing with funeral arrangements and multiple cross country trips with my Alzheimer’s stricken mom, all while I was undergoing my last two weeks of radiation…


Yeah, it’s been a tough, tough year. 


But I am happy to report that I am now cancer free (woohoo!), my mom is finally settled and stabilized, and both the super-secret project and Book One of The King’s Men Series is finished. Were they the best or cleanest manuscripts I’ve ever turned in? Nope. Not by a long shot. But thank goodness there is plenty of time to edit (which is where the true magic of writing happens anyway, in my opinion).


So here’s the thing, fellow writer. You and I are called by God to share Hope with the world through our stories. We can rely on the Father to not only give us inspiration to craft those stories but to carry us through whatever circumstances we face as we do so. Whether you are enduring health challenges, grief, a major move, struggles with children, a broken marriage, financial issues, or anything else…  He will sustain you. When we are scraping the bottom of our own strength reserves and fighting lack of motivation or inspiration, He will make up the difference. All we have to do is ask. Trust Him to provide. Listen for his Voice as He guides us through those shadowy places. And because I think someone out there really needs to hear this: give yourself grace, my writing friend. If you need rest for your body or mind or both, take it. If you need to ask for that extension, ask for it. There are times to push through with the Lord’s help and times when it’s all right to set the project aside and come back when you are refreshed and rejuvenated. Sometimes strength is saying no and simply being still. 


Whatever the case may be for your current life and writing season, I pray God gives you the discernment He’s faithful to provide. May you rest in knowing that even in the midst of suffering there can be joy, fresh inspiration, and new depths of faith. May the steadfast love of the Lord be your strength and may your stories shine the light of the One who strengthens you as He carries you through even the darkest of valleys. 

______________________________


Connilyn Cossette is a Christy Award and Carol Award winning author whose books have been found on both ECPA and CBA bestseller lists. When she is not engulfed in the happy chaos of homeschooling two teenagers, devouring books whole, or avoiding housework, she can be found digging into the rich ancient world of the Bible to discover gems of grace that point to Jesus and weaving them into an immersive fiction experience. Although she and her husband have lived all over the country in their twenty-five years of marriage, they currently call a little town south of Dallas, Texas their home. Connect with her at www.ConnilynCossette.com

17 comments:

  1. Oh.My.Fairy.Godmother what a great post, and right on the heels of yesterday's. And so needed as some of you, ahem, go to ACFW to have your hearts encouraged or, I hope, not broken. Wish I could be with you.
    This is a powerful post, especially coming on the heels of yesterday's. EVERY DAY I need to be reminded why I do this.
    This is our call. It's why we push on, in the middle of sickness or just regular daily chaos -- but it's also why we cut ourselves some slack and ask our editor to put some elasticity in those deadlines.
    God is with us in the terrible times and in the merely chaotic ones. If we follow His will, including with our writing, He will bless us. Sometimes all we have to hold on to is our call. But it's enough.
    I had two stunning experiences this month. One, a friend lent my first novel, "Westward Hope," to her sister. The theme of WH is forgiveness. The sister read WH and then called my friend, sobbing, and said, "I forgive Mom. Kathy's book helped me to forgive her." I have no idea what Mom did, but I was happy to help.
    Last night I had an Author Talk at my local library for "Redemption's Hope." Four people and two librarians showed up, and I sold one book. When I started out that would have sent me over the brink for a week or two -- but I'm fine. RH is meant to be passed from hand to hand, from daughter to mother, sister to sister, to land on whatever seeking soul needs it. If they come to me through a library talk, great; if they don't, that's okay too. I'm doing God's work, through the skills and talents He gave me.
    It's early autumn in New Hampshire, bright blue skies, fields full of pumpkins, apple trees groaning under the weight. Love you, Seekers and Villagers.
    Kathy Bailey
    Getting it right in New Hampshire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that the best, Kaybee? When we hear of the impact our stories have had, it's a greater confirmation of why we do what we do than any award or best seller list could ever provide!

      And not all of us are in St. Louis. A few Seekers are busy keeping the home fires burning!

      Delete
    2. How wonderful, Kathy, that your book impacted someone like that.

      Delete
    3. It is so wonderful how the Lord works through us, isn't it Kathy? It always blows my mind that he takes my feeble human words and touches hearts in ways I never expected! Thank you for stopping by, I'm so glad to hear this blog post connected with you!

      Delete
  2. I agree with Kathy that this is a powerful post. Thank you for sharing your story. I'm glad you are cancer free and I'm sorry about the loss of your father. We definitely all have our seasons of hardship and grief and I applaud your ability to keep writing through it. I'm also a procrastinator and I avoid difficult things so I'm still trying to get back into writing after a season of grief. Your words are so inspiring. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glynis, you always make sense. I only procrastinate on things I DON'T want to do, which is why I published seven books in three years but can't balance my checkbook or make an appointment for a colonoscopy, seriously, that last one took three years to do, good thing I'm not at risk.

      Delete
    2. I call that "selective procrastination!"

      Delete
    3. Thank you so much for your kind words Glynis! Procrastinating seems to be a common writer/artist trait doesn't it? ;)

      Delete
    4. Selective procrastination is my new favorite phrase :) And yes, Kathy, those kind of appointments are easy to put off lol!

      Delete
  3. This is a great post, Connilyn. It's never easy to go through major life changes, but when we have books due at the same time all we can do is rely on God's strength. He knew what was coming when we signed those contracts, right? He will be there through all the valleys.
    I'm so glad to hear that you're cancer free!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan! Isn't it good to know he knows the end from the beginning? Takes so much of the pressure off when we can rest in His arms!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing your journey with us, Connilyn. As you mentioned, there is much to learn through suffering...and uniting that suffering to Christ as Paul reminds us. Blessings to you and your family, and congrats on your two beautiful stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by Debby! We spend an awful lot of time avoiding suffering, don't we? And yet those desert places are when the Lord comes near <3

      Delete
  5. Connilyn, thank you for sharing your powerful post. I'm so glad you are cancer free. I am also sorry for the loss of your father. You have been through so much and have truly persevered. It is a great lesson for us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing such a powerful post, Connilyn! Idolatry of Comfort is such a perfect phrase we can all unfortunately relate. You've undergone such a huge battle and finished victorious. God is good and prayers are lifted to guide you through all your finish lines.
    -Audra Harders

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praise the Lord that you are cancer-free! God was faithful to get you through not one, but many storms of life and they were in a short period of time. Your writing is a blessing. I enjoy your novels immensely.
    I published through breast cancer as well. It wasn't easy, but the distraction of writing kept me going.
    God is great! Thank you for sharing your struggles so others may be inspired.

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."