Monday, October 24, 2022

5 Ways to Keep the Details Straight

Erica here. Happy fall, y'all! It's COLD in Minnesota, and we've already had our first (albeit skimpy) snow. 

I'm deep in editing mode on my 2023 release, Children of the Shadows, which is book three in the Thorndike & Swann Regency Mystery series but is, in fact, book seven in the "Haverly Universe" as I call it. Seven Regency stories that all take place in the same story world with cross-over characters galore.

Over the six books and one novella, we're talking about 630,000 words! Dozens of characters and locations and hundreds, if not thousands, of details.

The question has arisen, "How do you keep it all straight?"

I have a few tips I'd love to share with you.

1. Character photographs. 

I try to find a photograph of each major character, especially my heroes and heroines, so I can fix in my mind exactly what they look like. I find it much easier to describe a person I've seen than one I've just heard about. (I would share some of these photos with you, but for copyright laws regarding pictures on blogs. However, I can give you a link to one of my Pinterest boards full of handsome heroes. ...You're welcome.)

2. A Style Sheet

I keep a style sheet for each book I write, with characters, descriptions, locations, photographs, preferred spellings (curtsy vs. curtsey, etc.) and more. I turn this in with each book to aid in the editing process. I blogged here on Seekerville some time ago about how to create a Style Sheet, and you can read that post HERE



3. A Series Master Document

My Virtual Assistant, (though since she's my daughter and I see her regularly, it's hardly virtual, is it?) Heather Drexler of Mossflower Digital Services, and I are in the process of creating a Master Document for the entire series. A spreadsheet on google docs to which we both have access that contains all the style sheet information from each book, plus anything I've forgotten along the way. Of particular import is, character descriptions and ages at the start of each story. Locations of important scenes. Where is the Haverly mansion located in London? Where did they find the first murder victim in Millstone of Doubt? How many servants work at the Whitelock estate? 

*Sometimes this document is called a series bible, but I don't like that term. As far as I am concerned, there is only one Bible, the very Word of God, hence I call mine a Master Document. 

4. Reuse locations and characters.

By having the above document, it is easy not to have to reinvent something I've already created? Do I need a shopkeeper in London? Why not use one I created in The Lost Lieutenant (book 1) as a character in The Debutante's Code (Book 5)? Rather than branch out all over London, set scenes in familiar locations like Mayfair or Bow Street. This doesn't mean you never bring in something new, but if you can reuse a setting or a character, it will keep the story world tighter and easier to manage.

5. Appreciate how much readers love "Easter Eggs" in stories.

An "Easter Egg" is a term from the video-gaming world that refers to something special and hidden that is discovered by true aficionados of the game. In reading, it's a reward for a dedicated reader. You can bring back something small, or someone that a new reader won't know comes from a previous story, but a dedicated reader will recognize right away. It is work, but it's worth it. Work to weave in those little prizes into your story. Readers LOVE feeling smart and 'in the know' while reading, and rewarding a dedicate reader just strengthens the reader's bond with the author and with the story. It makes the story world seem rounder, richer, and more complex. It also helps retain readers when the next book comes out!


Question for you: If you are an author, do you keep a Style Sheet for each book? If you are a reader, do you enjoy cross-over series stories?

__________________________________


Regency London's detective duo is back on a new case--and this one is going to be a killer

Caught in the explosion of the Hammersmith Mill in London, Bow Street Runner Daniel Swann rushes to help any survivors only to find the mill's owner dead of an apparent gunshot.

Even though the owner's daughter, Agatha Montgomery, mourns his death, it seems there are more than a few people with motive for murder. But Daniel can't take this investigation slow and steady. Instead, he must dig through all the suspects as quickly as he can, because the clock is ticking until his mysterious patronage--and his job as a runner--comes to an abrupt and painful end. It seems to Daniel that, like his earthly father, his heavenly Father has abandoned him to the fates.

Lady Juliette Thorndike is Agatha's bosom friend and has the inside knowledge of the wealthy London ton to be invaluable to Daniel. She should be in a perfect position to help with the case. Still, her instructor in the art of spy craft orders her to stay out of the investigation. But circumstances intervene, dropping her into the middle of the deadly pursuit.

When a dreadful accident ends in another death on the mill floor, Daniel discovers a connection to his murder case--and to his own secret past. Now he and Juliette are in a race to find the killer before his time runs out.


Best-selling, award-winning author, Erica Vetsch loves Jesus, history, romance, and sports. When she’s not writing fiction, she’s planning her next trip to a history museum. You can connect with her at her website, www.ericavetsch.com where you can learn about her books and sign up for her newsletter, and you can find her online at https://www.facebook.com/groups/inspirationalregencyreaders where she spends way too much time!


15 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such great info, Erica. Good tips for keeping things straight and organized. I needed this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erica, I didn't realize your two Regency series are connected. I need to move the other books to the top of my TBR pile. I love the mystery series and can't wait to read the next one. Your tips for keeping characters straight sound good. I need to keep this in mind for my writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Sandy, all my Regencies with Kregel take place in the same 'story world,' even the Christmas novella in the Joy to the World collection! :) I encourage you to keep a style sheet for each story you write, even if it isn't connected to any other story, simply to help with the editing later!

      Delete
  4. This is definitely something I need to incorporate more diligently. I have a notebook full of stuff for the two Amish Historical series I wrote, but I haven't done it yet for my cozy mysteries.
    The biggest advantage I can see is that I plan to write several mysteries in the series, but I'll also be working on other books/series at the same time. So a Series Master Document (I love that term) is absolutely necessary. All those details - like how to spell the name of a road that appears often (is it Graves' Gulch or Grave's Gulch???) Uff dah!

    And I've heard from our mutual Virtual Assistant (aka Heather) that in her opinion Children of the Shadows might be your best book yet. I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Did you know that a Virtual Assistant is also helpful in creating a Series Master Document? :D

      Delete
  5. Erica, the timing for this post is God-given. Keeping, finding, using details is my absolute undoing! I'm starting with your Pinterest page filled with eye-catching heros. Very nice selection :) So, you named the business of your terrific VA, but neglected to add the link for contacting her!! I'm in desperate need of someone to keep me organized and sane, LOL!!
    Terrific, and beyond, helpful hints. Thanks for sharing!!
    Audra, the Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't those historical heroes pretty? :D I'll Message you the contact deets for the amazing Heather! :)

      Delete
  6. I love this, Erica! You are so organized. And I like that you use a Master Document, instead of a bible. I agree. There's only one! I didn't know I have Easter Eggs in my stories, but I do...and you provided the term. It's something I add in each book. Sidney Sheldon used to refer back to a town many of his characters lived in, came from or passed through. I thought that was fun for the reader, so I include my little egg.

    It's sunny and warm in GA. Sorry you're cold and snowy. Come south and enjoy the sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for Easter Eggs in your stories! Readers love them!

      Delete
  7. Hi Erica, I love your books and I'm looking forward to reading Millstone of Doubt. I enjoy it when authors share photos that inspired their writing and I also love finding those 'Easter Eggs'! Congratulations and keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Connie! I hope you enjoy Millstone of Doubt, and I hope you find all the Easter Eggs!

      Delete
  8. Great tips Erica! I record all my details in the notes section in scrivener and upload photos and articles I need into the research section so I can draw from it while writing. I can see though having a style sheet is helpful (as a separate document).

    As a reader, I love Easter eggs IF I've read previous books. LOVE Marcus and so happy he's continuing in Juliette and Daniel's stories... :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Yay for Scrivener's Notes Section! Does Scrivener allow you to carry everything over to the next project?

      If I read a book where I suspect there's an Easter egg, it compels me to go back and read the previous books. I can't NOT know!

      Marcus was too cool to let go! :D

      Delete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."