Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Branding with MockingbirdArtist

 Erica here, and it is my joy to introduce you to my niece, Rebekah Firmin, the genius behind MockingbirdArtist. 


When I started writing fiction, I had no idea that I would need a graphic artist, nor how helpful one could be. I went with a blogger template for my blog, my website...when I finally got one...was slapped together by yours truly...and I had no idea how to even post a picture on FB.

My how times have changed. For me, it all started with a business card and logo. I asked my niece if she could create a logo for me that would reflect my books, would be small enough to fit on the spine of a book (if I should ever decide to indie-publish) and look really smart and professional.

And she came through! 


Since then, she's created some book covers (still to be revealed to the world) reworked my website (a never-ending task) and designed custom pieces (to make me stand out among all the great authors out there.)

One of my favorites is for my recent release, Millstone of Doubt. Rebekah created custom paper dolls of my hero and heroine to be given to those who pre-ordered the book from Baker Book House.


This pre-order thank you gift proved to be enormously successful, and I am so grateful to Rebekah for helping me pull it off!

Need bookmarks? Totebags or T-shirts? Coffee mugs? Keychains? Book illustrations? Book design? Some other creative thing? I highly recommend MockingbirdArtist.


Now, here's Bekah to talk about what she can do for you! (And don't forget, pre-published authors need to be developing your brand so folks will recognize you!)

Rebekah Firmin: MockingbirdArtist

What a joy and an honor it is to get to be a part of this group and to share with you a bit about myself. For those of you who don’t know me, my name is Rebekah Firmin and I am the owner, artist, and author behind MockingbirdArtist. Over the years, I have had the privilege to work with many authors by creating and refining their brand through websites, logos, book covers, promotional items, as well as, pieces to help them better tell their stories, such as character maps, book lists, and fantasy world maps.


As an avid reader myself, it brings me joy to work with authors and help readers identify their works and better visualize their stories.


My continued thanks to the following authors for trusting me with their work and vision: Kimberly Burkhardt, Gabrielle Meyer, Julie Klassen, Erica Vetsch, Mollie Joy Rushmeyer, Crystal Caudill, Amanda Wen, Mary Connealy, Christina Rich, and Kristen Grafton
















Along with working with authors, I create custom artwork and designs, as well as goods and apparel that feature MockingbirdArtist art, sold online in my Etsy shop and Vakti Gallery, or locally at Scout and Tag, Pressed Books and Coffee, and Bok Tower Gardens in Florida. To stay up to date on my journey, follow me on Instagram, Tiktok, Pinterest, and Facebook (@mockingbirdartist) or sign up for my monthly newsletter here. For information on commissions and projects, visit: www.mockingbirdartiststudio.com


In celebration of your welcome, I would like to offer a giveaway for a copy of my new children’s book, ‘My Little Mockingbird’, the story of a little Mockingbird who becomes overwhelmed by the noises of the world and learns how to tune its heart to the song of its Creator who sings, "You are loved, you are never alone, and all that was lost is being restored". ….



Erica here again: You surely have questions! Ask Bekah a question about her graphic arts business, and you'll be entered to win a copy of My Little Mockingbird. 


33 comments:

  1. I love this! Erica, you have such a talented family. Rebekah, you may be hearing from me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where do you get your inspiration and ideas from. Susan Campbell steveac@bellsouth.net

      Delete
    2. Much of my personal artwork is inspired by soft color palettes, and older more timeless and childlike pieces. I love anything with a story so I try to create pieces than connect people to a story or remind them of their own!

      Delete
  2. Hi Rebekah! I love seeing you here. Your book is beautiful (I had the chance to read it at Erica’s house!), and your graphic designing is spot-on. Thanks for creating my logo, too! I’d love to know if you always wanted to be a graphic designer, or if that was something you realized when you were a bit older.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Gabrielle! It is so good to hear from you again! Thank you so much for your kind words :) I actually never wanted to be a graphic designer or an artist lol. I thought they were both just skills or resources to use as part of another job but the Lord has always brought me back to it and recently asked me to trust Him with it full time! As always, His plans have been better than mine.

      Delete
  3. Rebekah, congrats on your wonderful business! I know Erica and the other authors appreciate all you do! And how fun are those paper dolls?! What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Missy! Thank you so much! They were so much fun to work on!

      Delete
  4. Hi Rebekah! Your artwork is AMAZING! (Your paper dolls for Erica are currently on my living room bookshelf. 😍) I’d love to know how long it took you to get your book published and if you did your own illustrations. I love the concept!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jenny! Thank you so much for your kind words! Because I took the route of self-publishing, the timing was much more flexible and took about 3-6 months from story to bookstore! I tried to expedite the process to get the book out before Easter so my next book may be a little more relaxed in timing lol. I did do all of the illustrations for the book as well 🥰

      Delete
  5. Thank you for this blog post today, Erica. I love your Rebekah's work! I am so happy to have your/her Millstone of Doubt paper dolls too!
    Children's books are especially dear to my heart. I once dreamed of being an author of children's books and having my books illustrated by my sister. This book sounds charming, with a very dear and important message.
    Rebekah, my daughter (an artist and an aspiring author <3) and I would like to know:
    1.) How did you get started as an artist...was art and creating always something you wanted to do?
    2.) How long did it take from the beginning of your inspiration for this book to its release day?
    Thank you for this wonderful giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Laura! Children’s books are something that have always been on my heart too and I never thought in a million years that the Lord would allow me to tell His story through one. I was so honored to feel that call and get the chance to share truth. I have always had an artist skill and dominant right brain thinking. In elementary school, I took art classes but was determined to never become an artist because they are know for being poor, live liberal lifestyles in tiny New York apartments, always have to hustle to see their pieces, etc. Lol I craved stability, steady income, healthcare, a click in-clock out job . In 2018, the Lord brought me home from college with an auto-immune disease that left me in severe depression and anxiety. I began using artwork as a means of therapy and the Lord continued to provide ways for me to pursue my business. In 2019, I created MockingbirdArtist and in Jan. 2022, the Lord called me to it full time, asking me to trust Him with my future and my career path. Because I took the route of self-publishing, the timing was much more flexible and took about 3-6 months from story to bookstore! I tried to expedite the process to get the book out before Easter 🥰

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Rebekah! We enjoyed reading a bit of your experience and story. I’m so sorry for your auto-immune disease 😔. I have several of those and they can be very hard. I can see how God led you, even in that difficult time, to grow in Him and shine through your art and testimony. Again, thank you for your response and may God richly bless you and your work ❤️!

      Delete
    3. 🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰

      Delete
  6. Hi Bekah, how long have you been doing graphic arts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Beth! I have been working in graphic design since my senior year in high school (2014), did two years of college in it for my A.A., and between 2018-2021, I split my time between working for the Fellowship of Christian Athletes as their graphic designer and building a brand and portfolio with MockingbirdArtist. I was able to go full-time with MockingbirdArtist in January and I am LOVING IT!

      Delete
  7. Kylie Hunt (The Film Director's Wife)October 4, 2022 at 1:54 PM

    Hello, Rebekah! Your artwork is beautiful! What is something you love about being an artist?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kylie! Sorry for the late response. I tried to answer this ph my phone and it looks like the answer didn't save. There are so many things that I love about being an artist! I love the flexible schedule and work space and I love getting to bring things to life. I have always been a fan of creativity and story and this gives me the perfect outlet to do so.

      Delete
  8. I love all your work, Rebekah! And I've been wondering where Erica got those terrific paper dolls for her new release. :-)

    You'll be hearing from me, too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, your work is GORGEOUS! The ideas of paper dolls as a giveaway is genius. And I've been thinking about getting a logo - you may be hearing from me soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bekah, your book looks so appealing and inviting. I especially like the gentleness of your art. I used to read books to kids on a weekly basis when I worked at a bookstore. From the brief blurb about your story, I think your book would have been in my regular rotation. (Erica, I may have to come peek at your copy!)
    Having read all the other posts, I'm not sure what other questions to ask. Hmmm...
    When creating a logo or branding for someone, what kind of things do you take into consideration? At some point I'd like my own "mark" or logo, although I'm not an author. Now I need to check out your website.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Beverly! Thank you so much for reaching out! When working on a logo or branding I love to see pictures that inspire you and your style. For some people, they will have bright colors, lots of florals, and want something that expresses high energy and appeal. Other times, someone might want more neutral colors and simplistic designs that can adapt as their business or life changes. If I am working with an author, I like to take a look at what they already have, genres, color palettes, reoccurring themes or motifs, etc., and try to incorporate those into the design.

      Delete
  11. Wonderful graphics, Bekah! Welcome to Seekerville! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. rebekah, you did a logo for me and I am now ready for a change. I'll be emailing you. I'm so glad you were on today so I could be reminded of this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. And I have those paper dolls!!! Thats you!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is! They were so much fun to work on!

      Delete
  14. Hi Bekah, I so admire your talent! You've been given a wonderful gift and you're using it to promote great fiction for all of us who prefer clean, inspirational reads. Congratulations on your success and your new children's book. I would love to be entered in your drawing.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."