Tuesday, November 8, 2022

The Joy of a Series

Good morning, friends! I can't believe it's November already, can you? As a teacher, I feel the first quarter of the school year flew by. Probably because I've been so busy. November promises to be just as busy. I'll be starting a new book. It will be my 17th Amish Country Justice book, and my 4th book featuring the siblings of the Bender family. The first book featuring this family will release in January. Although writing a series takes a lot of work, especially some sort of record keeping to keep all the dates, names and important information straight, it's my favorite type of writing. I love bringing back former characters and showing how their lives have changed since the first book. Another part of writing a series I enjoy is being able to start a character's journey by showing them in their brokenness, then giving them their own story to show how God heals them. I've loved reding series since I was very young. I clearly recall the first series I ever read. It was a trilogy regarding an orphan girl with some ambitious dreams growing up amongst her dead mother's family in Canada. I read Emily of New Moon by L.M. Montgomery and wanted more. I literally devoured the books.
After I finished this series, I quickly moved on to read Anne of Green Gables and all the subsequent books.
Then the Boxcar Children, and the books by David Eddings and Raymond E. Feist. I was hooked. When I discovered that romance series existed, I was thrilled. As a reader and as a writer. I knew what I wanted to write. To this day, I still love a great series. I especially love series that are connected by family members or those that follow the a single character through multiple books. What about you? What do you enjoy reading? Series or stand alone books? One commenter will receive an early copy of Her Secret Amish Past, due in stores January 24th, 2023.
Stolen from the Amish… with no memory of her past. When her mother is shot as they flee an unknown threat, Josslyn Graham discovers her entire life is a lie. Not only is she adopted but she's the target of armed assailants—and she doesn’t know why. With an old doll the only clue to her true identity, Joss needs Sergeant Steve Beck’s help to find the truth…before a deadly criminal ring buries the remaining evidence: her.
Dana R. Lynn is an award winning author of romantic suspense and Amish romance who believes in the power of God to touch people through stories. Although she grew up in Illinois, she met her husband at a wedding in Pennsylvania and told her parents she had met her future husband. Nineteen months later, they were married. Today, they live in rural Pennsylvania and are entering the world of empty nesters. She is a teacher of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing by day and writes stories of romance and danger at night. She is represented by Tamela Hancock Murray with the Steve Laube Agency. Dana is an avid reader, loves cats and thinks chocolate should be a food group. Readers can contact her or sign up to receive her monthly newsletter at www.danarlynn.com.

19 comments:

  1. I love series like crime drama. Jack Reacher. That's Lee Child author. I read Michael Connelly, Vince Flynn, Preston and Child's Pendergast series. I read all the Sue Grafton alphabet series. Oh, just so many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many great ones out there. I just discovered Robert Dugoni.

      Delete
    2. I feel responsible for getting you hooked on some of these, Mary! :D

      Delete
  2. And as a kid I read all the series. Black Stallion was a favorite, but so many others. Trixie Belden, Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys. Of course Little House on the Prairie. Happy Hollisters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right now I'm big on Erica Vetsch's Regency series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love series. I read The Black Stallion, Little House, Boxcar Children, Glenn Balch, and L. M. Montgomery as a kid. As an adult, Preston & Child, Craig Johnson, Lee Child, Michael Connelly, Dick Francis, Elizabeth Peters, and more. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe I forgot the little house books.

      Delete
  5. I love reading series. I received a Trixie Belden book for my 9th birthday and was hooked. I loved that series. The first inspirational series I read was Janette Oke's Love Comes Softly series, which I think may have started that genre. I also love the Mitford series. My mom read the Mitford series after the original books had already been published, so she was able to go straight from one to the next. That is a great way to read a series. It is so hard to wait in between books coming out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Series are gold, aren't they? They're my favorite, too. If I like the first book, I'm thrilled that I don't have to go searching for a new author - their next book is an auto-buy. :-)

    I love too many series to name them all, but a few stand out. As a child, I loved the Laura Ingalls Wilder, L.M. Montgomery, Marguerite Henry's Misty of Chincoteague, Carolyn Haywood's Betsy books, Maud Hart Lovelace's Betsy books...

    (Looking at those last two, I'm surprised that I didn't name my daughter Betsy! Instead, we named her Caroline - partly because it's a family name on both sides of the family, but mostly because Caroline Ingalls is one of my favorite historical people.)

    And to continue - a few more - Mary O'Hara's My Friend Flicka series, Ralph Moody's Little Britches series, Zane Grey, Louis L'Amour... so many GREAT books!

    I'm so glad my favorite authors continue to write series, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that some of the series I enjoyed as a child I was able to share with my own children.

      Delete
  7. When I was a kid, one of the things I loved about the Nancy Drew novels was how many of them there were. One book is not enough for we voracious readers. My childhood list contains many of the same titles as Mary's and Erica's. We moved around a lot, so my best friends were the ones I could take with me - Alec Ramsay and Nancy Drew and Laura and Mary Ingalls. In a series, their world becomes so familiar, it feels like your world, and their family and friends are people you are eager to spend time with when you open the pages of the next book. Of course, Mary Lennox was also my friend, though there is only one Secret Garden. I love that book so much that I still read it every year when green things start poking out the ground in the spring. But, for the most part, yes, I've rather have a long, lovely series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved The Secret Garden.. It's still a favorite.

      Delete
  8. I read many of the series that have already been mentioned. Nancy Drew, Trixie Belden, but did anyone else read the Bobbsey Twins?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Who doesn't love a series?! As a child I devoured the Natnia books and Nancy Drew. I loved Cherry Ames and the Sweet Valley High series as a teenager. And thanks for the reminder of all the David Eddings books I loved too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have every David Eddings book. I might need to reread the Belgariad.

      Delete
  10. I love series! But my favorite are the ones that can be read as standalone

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."