Wednesday, December 28, 2022

The Quiet Week

It's that quiet week between Christmas and New Years.

Advent is complete, and we have celebrated the birth of our Lord with joy, but since it is still the Christmas season, I thought I would follow our December theme for today's post.

My favorite recipe is very much on my mind as I just made it for Christmas dinner. If you'd asked me this question ten years ago, I undoubtedly would have shared a Christmas cookie recipe, but this dish has taken over.

My daughter found the recipe several years ago on this website - Keepin' It Kind.
I wouldn't want to steal credit for her recipe, so I'll just show you two quick photos of our batch in progress and then refer you  back to her for the glorious finished photos.

Ingredients:
 three large sweet potatoes cut into medallions, pomegranate arils, orange juice, maple syrup, sea salt, chopped pecans, coconut sugar or brown sugar, and ground cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg.

You may notice in the picture that my daughter chose an assortment of colored sweet potatoes. Who knew there were purple ones?


 

Sprinkle with pomegranate arils and chopped pecans.

Bake and enjoy!

But do go and visit the website for this recipe.

Pomegranate Orange Sweet Potato Bake.   Kristy tells a lovely story too about getting recipes from her grandma. I love family stories like this, so I was sold even before I tasted the deliciousness.
 
 
I have new favorite song this year. It's not technically a Christmas song, but the message it carries is so in keeping with the season. I heard a snippet of it in a Hallmark Christmas movie and woke up with the refrain playing in my head. It nagged at me so much that I had to do some research to find the song. 
Earlier this year, when Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy spoke at the Grammy Awards, he described the devastation to his country and the horrible silence the bombs leave - "the dead silence." He then urged people to "Fill the silence with your music!"
That message inspired this song.
I hope you enjoy.
 

Choosing a favorite Christmas movie is a lot harder. I've enjoyed so many over the years. I have fond memories of watching Muppet Family Christmas and an animated musical version of 'Twas the Night Before Christmas (featuring the mouse subplot)  with my daughters. (We watched them again this year!)


 

 

For years I played Elf at my students' request, but I never really paid attention. This year, after hearing so many adults say it was their favorite Christmas movie, I watched carefully. I get it. I actually cried at the end.




I'd love to hear your thoughts. 
What are your favorites and how do you spend this week between holidays?
 
Belated Merry Christmas and early Happy New Year wishes from me to you!
 
 


 

10 comments:

  1. I don't know anyone else who has The Muppet Family Christmas on their must-watch list! I thought we were the only ones! It's one of our very favorites. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just thinking of that movie always makes me feel happy, Glynis. So glad we share that. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you.

      Delete
  2. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Cate. Christmas movies are fun. I don't necessarily have a favorite. Our pastors referred to Christmas movies during Advent this year. Our associate polled the service by listing Christmas movies and asking the congregation to raise their hands for the ones they liked. He said he and his wife would watch the most popular one on Christmas. (Don't know if they really did.) Our senior pastor mentioned different movies in each of his sermons. The last one he mentioned Elf and said it fit a theme that all Christmas movies seem to have--someone who is lonely and searching for his place in the world. It was an interesting way to look at it. Thanks for sharing that song. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder which movie won, Sandy. That is definitely an interesting way to look at Elf. I confess, I always thought it was just a silly movie, but the message about finding family and believing was very emotional.

      Delete
  3. I love that the Christmas season continues and isn't just ONE day! Love your sweet potato recipe too. Thanks, Mary Cate! Enjoy this time of peace and joy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That recipe looks like it might take the place of the sugar-laden one we used to enjoy for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I'll have to try it!

    I have a ton of favorite Christmas movies, and the Muppet version of A Christmas Carol is one that we watch every year. :-)

    Happy Quiet Week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That recipe looks delish!! So my family still enjoys the Grinch and the old animated Christmas movies. My husband loves It's a Wonderful Life. I'm not a huge fan, but as long as I can read a book while we cuddle on the couch, he's happy to watch it together. Songs are harder. I love Christmas music. One of my newer favorites, though, is One Small Child by David Meece.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a great article about Valentine's week. You can get detailed information about Valentine's week list 2023

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."