Monday, January 16, 2023

Writing in Baby Bits

 


Have you ever had one of those days weeks months?

Here we are on the third Monday of January. In November I had my new year planned with plenty of time for writing along with my usual volunteer activities. Throw in a doctor’s appointment or two and some expected minor surgery, and my winter plans were complete.

But NOTHING has gone the way I planned so far!

It all started with my summons for jury duty…and I was selected to serve on a jury for a criminal case that is expected to last four weeks or more. So every day I show up at the courthouse, listen to testimonies and cross-examinations, and then go home exhausted and heart-sore from the tough testimony I’ve heard. Then I try to keep the details straight until we do it all over again the next day.

I realized before the second day of the trial was over that I needed to be super focused on my writing during my available time – somewhere between 6:00 and 6:30 in the morning. And I can only squeeze out about ten minutes during that half-hour.

What is an author to do???

Since I know this situation isn’t permanent (it isn’t, right?) I only needed to come up with a solution to last for those four weeks or so. I wanted to make some progress on my WIP, but mostly I didn’t want to lose the story.

What do I mean by losing the story? It’s when you take such a long break that you’ve lost the heartbeat of your story and have to spend time reading through all your notes and what you’ve written so far to bring it back again.

Photo courtesy ShutterStock
 

Enter Baby Bits. I got this concept from homemaking. One YouTuber I listen to calls it “Tiny Tidies.” That’s where instead of dedicating hours to cleaning your house, you take care of tiny messes whenever you see them.

How long does it take to put a magazine back in the magazine rack? Less than a minute. Stick a few dirty dishes in the dishwasher? Maybe two minutes. In fifteen minutes or less your living room and kitchen can look presentable.

Do you get the idea?

How long does it take to write two hundred words? Would you believe about ten minutes?

And two hundred words are enough to breathe life into my story each morning.

Of course, these two hundred words aren’t going to show up if I go into my story cold. It takes preparation.


 
When I decided to approach my story this way, I needed to read through it again, have an idea of what was going to happen in this scene, and since I was introducing a new POV character, I needed to understand who she was and how I wanted to portray her.

By Wednesday morning when I sat down for ten minutes between my first cup of tea and my shower, I knew what I was going to write. That afternoon during a break from the court room, I jotted down some notes that covered the rest of the scene. The next morning, I was able to make more progress.

Is this a permanent solution? No. If I was working full time outside my home, I would need to come up with a different kind of writing schedule.

But the “Baby Bits” of writing each morning will help keep my story alive until I can return to my regular routine - hopefully by the middle of February!

What secrets do have of coping with unexpected breaks in your routine?


 

 

20 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like things have been unexpectedly busy for you lately. I wish I had secrets of how to get things accomplished when life throws a wrench in the plans, but I don't. Keep plugging away, I guess. And I just got my jury summons for April. Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been an interesting year so far, to say the least. The jury summons is just the tip of the iceberg!
      BUT, I love this story and want to keep it going - even if I can only give it a few minutes a day.

      Delete
    2. I am very happy, I am here to share my testimonies with the general public about what this man called Dr Adodo has just done for me , this man has just brought back my lost Ex husband to me with his great spell, i was married to this man called Steven we were together for a long time and we loved our self's but when i was unable to give he a child for 2 years he left me and told me he can't continue anymore then i was now looking for ways to get him back until a friend of mine told me about this man and gave his contact email (dradodojattotemple@yahoo.com) then you won't believe this when i contacted this man on my problems he prepared this spell cast and bring my lost husband back, and after a month i miss my month and go for a test and the result stated am pregnant am happy today am a mother of a baby girl, thank you once again the great Dr Adodo for what you have done for me, if you are out there passing through this same kind of problems you can contact he today on his mail ( dradodojattotemple@yahoo.com) on his Whatspp +18144484537 and he will also help you as well

      Delete
  3. Oh, Jan, I love this and I know what you mean. I THEORETICALLY write full-time these days, but something always nibbles around the edges of my time. Your strategy is good --- make the most of the time you have, and it will add up.
    Interesting day today. We finally got snow in NH, and I am sticking close to home all day in order to finalize the index for my next nonfiction local history book. One nice thing about fiction, you don't have to do an index. Usually.
    Home all day, may be back later.
    Kathy Bailey
    Your Kaybee
    Working in a snow day in New Hampshire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, those nibbles! I know exactly what you mean!
      Most days I can keep to my writing schedule, but this month it just hasn't happened.
      Have fun with your index!

      Delete
  4. Your powers of concentration are admirable, Jan! Is it the product of experience? I'm still wrestling with trying to make my writing an every day habit. And yes, that means I spend way too much time backtracking trying to pick up the thread of the story. But even when I'm on a roll, it takes me more than ten minutes just to disconnect from real life and find my place in my story world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found that when I write every day, I end up "living" in my story world. I also try to write early in the day, before I get involved with the things of the outside world.
      But still, it's hard work!

      Delete
  5. Jan, great post. Sounds like you have a lot going on! But great that you've found a way to write around it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jan, I like your Baby Bits technique for cleaning and for writing! Thanks! I have some big jobs around the house that need to be tackled. Some overwhelm me when I think of the time and energy involved. Using your method will help me break the work into easy segments.

    For years, I've used my kitchen timer to help with word count. I set the timer for thirty minutes and write until it dings, then I usually reset it again and again.

    I know you can't discuss the court case now, but I hope you'll be able to reveal some of what you experienced once the case has closed. Great research that could be used in any genre!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jan, while I'm cooking in the kitchen, I'll clean, put away dishes, wash dishes, sweep, etc and it's awesome at how much that helps! When I was working the day job, I used a timer like Debby suggested and that, too, was helpful! Good luck with the jury duty. Hoping it will end soon and you'll get back to your life.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great suggestion, Jan. I need to try it. Good luck with the trial.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jan, Thank you for the post Many Prayers coming!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how you're fitting this in, Jan. Based on experience, I'm guessing just having those ten minutes leaves you hungry for more, which it great inspiration to keep going. I used to find that I could fit in quite a lot typing on an iPod on the subway for 15 minutes each morning. That's the only thing I miss with not having a morning commute.

    How I find time very much depends on where I am in the writing process. If it's near the end. and I'm totally immersed, I'll grab any 5 minutes I can find and jump right in. But if it's near the beginning and I'm clueless, I need more time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy New Year "2023" to you and it brings you all success in writing.

    Here you can get "New Year 2023 Furniture Sales UP to 50% OFF" or in case you need info about discount furniture collection take a look at here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jan, taking Baby Bits is such a terrific way to approach writing for the writer who thinks they have no time to write, LOL! Replacing the magazine and loading the dishwasher are perfect examples. If you leave all your tasks, whether pleasant or not so much, until they build up out of control, that's exactly how you'll feel and then, nothing gets accomplished.

    Baby Bits. I like it. I'll put a sticky on my monitor to remind me. Thanks so much for sharing your insight.

    Audra, the Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  13. Hi Jan, I'm not an author but Baby Bits can work for other things as well. Somedays I just can't devote a full day to a tiring or difficult job so those Baby Bits can slowly whittle them away! I agree with Debby that your jury duty may give you a wonderful story to share! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You can use the 15 minute method to get through books, too. There is a book by J.P. Choquette that shows you how to do it. I sometimes use it.

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."