Monday, February 27, 2023

The Dos and Don'ts of Author Events

 Erica here, and I thought it might be fun to ask some experts about what to do and not to do at an author event. My lovely friends gave some great advice! 


This picture has nothing to do with the
blog post, I just thought it was cool!
Found it on pixabay!


First, let's define an author event. By this, I mean a venue where the author interacts with the general public. Book signings, panel discussions, reader retreats, etc. This does not cover writing retreats or writing conferences, unless there is a book signing/appearance as part of the event.

Second, let's break it up into categories of things to consider:

1. Communication with the Venue

For myself, I ask for a contact person (librarian, event coordinator, bookstore employee) who will be my go-to person for communication. I tend to prefer email or text, as I will then have a written record to which I can refer back. I confirm the date, time, and location at the time of booking the event, then a week ahead, I touch base that nothing has changed. 

I ask a few questions at the time of booking, too. Am I providing books for sale? Do you have a projector/screen for power point presentations? How long should I plan to talk? Are there treats provided? How many should I expect to attend? That sort of thing.

Author Kari Trumbo said: confirm what they have there and what you'll need. Ask about residential and state sales tax and where you'll need to file those taxes.

Author Toni Shiloh: I'm an introvert so email for the win!

Gabrielle Meyer: I usually email or speak to the coordinator several times before I agree to an event. I always ask about a projector, if I'm giving a PowerPoint presentation. I ask how long they would like me to speak, if they have any particular subject they want me to talk about, and how many people they might expect (this helps, if I'm giving away swag items). I also get a telephone number for the coordinator, in case I have issues on the day of the event that might prevent me from arriving on time, or, when I get there. I always touch base with them a day or two in advance to make sure their plans haven't changed, and to let them know I'm still planning to come.

2. What to Bring

This goes back to the communication section, as many of the answers can be found by asking the venue, but there are things I bring to an event regardless of the setting.

a. I bring Jane Austen. Well, my Funko Pop of Jane. She's a bit of a mascot for me, and a fun photo op too. She appears in my newsletter each month, so taking her to events is a win-win.




b. Bookmarks, business cards, promo materials. Having something to hand out to visitors, and especially to leave behind at a bookstore or library for patrons is always nice.

c. If necessary, a tablecloth, bookstands, things to pretty up the table.

d. A way for readers to stay in touch. A QR code for signing up for your newsletter, or a clipboard with a sign up sheet, etc.

Author Crystal Caudill said: Print off a sign with your newsletter magnet and a QR code for signing up for your newsletter. Stick it in a plastic display stand and tuck it on the corner of your table for people to scan. (Image of mine attached.) Bring freebies that redirect people back to you and your books/website. (Stickers & bookmarks go over well.) Don't forget your favorite pens. I've found that I LOVE to use Pentel's Needle Tip EnerGel pens instead of a sharpie. If you're doing a bookfair type of event, have a sign with your picture, name, and genre on it so readers have a quick reference of what you write. I also included a QR code to my website on the sign. You can get them from Staples for pretty cheap.
I work with a very small local bookstore, and so I make all the images and advertising for myself and share it with them. They always use it on their social media, newsletters, and front door.


Isn't this cool?

Author Toni Shiloh: Ask the venue if they have table, chairs, signage, books already. That way you know if you need to bring your own. I've even had venue supply the signing pen and tablecloth.

The beautiful Tony at an event!
The tiara for the win!!!!


Author Kari Trumbo: I have a "book case" that I bring with my table runner, swag, change, my nice book signing pens, and my collapsible book holders. It also has 4 PVC tubes cut to 1ft each to put on each leg of the table to elevate it. Bending over to examine books on a table is uncomfortable. Books higher and easier to see = people will stick around and talk to you longer.

Kari and a friend at an author event!

Author Gabrielle Meyer: When I attend a speaking event, I always bring with my computer and charging cord (especially if I have a PowerPoint presentation), bookmarks that have a QR code that takes people to my website where they can sign up for my newsletter and see my list of books, books to sell (if the coordinator has agreed to let me sell my own books--sometimes there are rules and regulations against selling books at events), change (if I'm selling my books), a pen to sign books, extra bookplates, in case a reader has books at home that they didn't bring, but would like a signed bookplate to put in them, a bottle of water, and tissues.

3. What to Wear

I'm all about comfort, but I also want to look professional...so I wear knit black pants, a colorful top, and I have a 3/4 sleeve black, knit jacket that I bring along. Because I tend to run warm, I usually remove the jacket after the first three minutes. :) Comfy shoes are the name of the game for me, because I usually spend quite a bit of time on my feet at these events.


Gabrielle Meyer: I like to feel my best when I'm standing in front of a crowd, so I wear clothing that is comfortable, stylish, and makes me feel good. I like to wear business casual. I also make sure I am wearing comfortable shoes, so I'm not wobbly or in pain.

Gabrielle (center) on an author panel at the
Mississippi River Readers Retreat.



Kari Trumbo: What to wear - comfortable shoes. Other than that, anything goes. I've worn everything from a nice outfit to a hoop skirt with crinoline.

Kari, on the right in period dress!


Toni Shiloh:
Layers!! It can be cold in the building but you can get hot as well if you start standing up and talking to people a lot.

4. What to Charge

This depends upon the event. Signing at a bookstore? I never charge for that. A library event, most libraries have funds designated for speakers. If it's more than thirty miles away from my home, I ask for travel cost to be covered, but there is often a stipend included. Other big events may actually charge the author to attend. A table at the book signing for XX amount of dollars. I recently was at a hotel where a reader event and a writer's conference were occurring simultaneously, and authors had to pay per activity they wished to attend with readers. $ to be on a panel discussion. $ to host a dinner table. $ to eat donuts with the readers, etc. I always try to balance the ROI of these types of events. What is the Return on Investment, of time, travel, outlay, expenses, etc.

As to selling books at an event: my favorite way to do this is to partner with a bookstore. If you're doing a book singing IN a bookstore, all the better. They handle the ordering, the selling, the taxes, etc. If I have to bring my own stock to sell, I take a few dollars off the cover price, or bundle price. One for ten, Two for eighteen, Three for Twenty five...something like that.

Kari Trumbo: I charge a few dollars below Amazon pricing and I also offer deals on bundles (buy one for this price or three and save x amount).

Gabrielle Meyer: This is different for each event I speak at. If I'm speaking to a book club, I usually don't charge them, since they've all purchased my book. If they offer to pay me, I will ask for them to cover my gas expenses (if I'm driving). For an organization that is asking me to be a guest speaker or keynote speaker, I do charge. It usually depends on how much they have earmarked for their speakers. It can be anywhere between $50-$150. If they can't pay me, then I ask if I can sell my books at their event, and this usually helps defer costs.

Gabe speaking at an event.




Each event has its own caveats and unique situations, but some things are the same every time. You, as the author, really just want to meet some nice people, find out if you have things in common, and make your event a pleasure for both the venue and the attendants. A little advance planning on your part can help increase the possibilities that the event is a success.

Thank you to my friends, Toni, Kari, Crystal, and Gabrielle for their help and expertise! You can find more about them through these links:




https://crystalcaudill.com/


https://karitrumbo.com/



Best-selling, award-winning author, Erica Vetsch loves Jesus, history, romance, and sports. When she’s not writing fiction, she’s planning her next trip to a history museum. You can connect with her at her website, www.ericavetsch.com where you can learn about her books and sign up for her newsletter, and you can find her online at https://www.facebook.com/groups/inspirationalregencyreaders where she spends way too much time!




13 comments:

  1. Good morning Erica! So much good information here. I'm always a bit unsure of what to bring or how to set these up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I'm completely out of practice doing in person events! I wrote this post hoping to brush up on things I should do ahead of another event.

      Delete
  2. Fun post, Erica. Interesting information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erica, it's been so long since I've attended an author event! The Barnes and Noble close to us offered them quite often, but then, COVID hit and well, the rest is history. I really miss the Black Friday signings. Signed books made great Christmas gifts!

    I had an "Event Bag" tucked in my closet that kept all the essentials you and your guests mentioned. My most treasured prize is my guest book. People wanted to sign it, even if they didn't buy. So I contacted them after the event - making it clear where we met - and mentioned my newsletter, leading them to where they could sign up. 50-50 success rate. Worked for me.

    I LOVED Kari Trumbo's idea of bringing table leg extensions!! WooHoo. Nugget to save!

    Audra, the Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't that a great idea? Table leg extensions! Love it.

      Delete
  4. Great tips!

    I had three major author/reader events planned for 2020, but of course all of them were canceled, and it's been pretty dry since then.

    But in June I'll be at Wild Deadwood Reads, along with several of my favorite authors, and I'm looking forward to climbing back in the saddle. I'm in the middle of organizing my table and planning the best things to take to make quality contact with potential readers. So this post is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Glad it was timely for you. Hoping all your 2023 events go off flawlessly!

      Delete
  5. Oh, oodles of great info here. Thanks, Erica!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the advice from the other ladies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the generosity of friends like you, willing to share what they know with others!

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."