Tuesday, April 11, 2023

Getting Past the Blank Page

 

Have you ever opened up a fresh document on a computer screen and then simply stared at it, unable to think of a single word to write? Been there, done that. Sometimes, when it’s time to begin a new proposal, I feel like it’s the first book I ever wrote. I have no clue how to start.

I’m sure many of us have felt this way. Having a deadline puts some pressure on you. One way or another, you have to get something worth reading to an editor by a certain time. If there’s one thing that makes me cringe, it’s the thought of missing a deadline. I recently went through this very process. So how can you jumpstart your brain to produce those first few chapters or an outline? I’ve made a list of some of the things that help me.

1.     Characters: I often start with my characters. I find pictures that fit my image of them and then I try to figure out some basic facts about them. Age, occupation, biggest fear or challenge, and what is their goal and motivation. Often, this is enough to get me thinking.

2.     Freewriting: Sometimes, I will sit at my computer and write whatever comes to mind until I come up with something that I can work with. It usually takes a good ten or fifteen minutes to get anything, but it helps get the creative juices flowing.

3.     Talking out loud: On beautiful days, I will go for a walk around my yard and talk out the possible plot twists or events I might use. Sometimes just hearing myself talking about the story will solidify in my mind what needs to happen.

4.     Note cards: I got this idea from a workshop I attended by James Scott Bell. He said take a stack of notecards and write down as many ideas as you can of events that might happen in the story as fast as you can. Then go through them and pick out the ones that might work.

5.     Brainstorming with peers: I have a group of writer friends I brainstorm with via Zoom or messenger. We talk about plot twists and conflicts and anything that needs to be refined or strengthened. It helps to have others to bounce ideas off of.

 

These are just some of the things I do to help myself when I find I’m stuck while writing. What do you do when you have a problem you need to figure out?

I am giving away one copy of Crime Scene Witness to a commenter.


Finding a safe haven

is the only way to stay alive

When crime scene cleaner Lissa Page discovers a clue at a murder site, she’s attacked and becomes the killer’s new target. Now Deputy US Marshal Micah Bender must protect the single mother from becoming another victim. But with threats coming from every direction, Micah needs to hide Lissa—and the Amish community he left behind might be the answer to keeping his witness safe.

 


 

Dana R. Lynn is a bestselling, award winning author of several genres including romantic suspense, Amish romance, women’s fiction, romantic mystery and Regency romance who believes in the power of God to touch people through stories. She met her husband at a wedding in Pennsylvania and told her parents she had met her future husband. Nineteen months later, they were married. Today, they live in rural Pennsylvania and are entering the world of empty nesters. She is a teacher of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing by day and writes stories of romance and danger at night. Dana is an avid reader, loves cats and thinks chocolate should be a food group. Readers can contact her or sign up to receive her monthly newsletter at  www.danarlynn.com.

 

 

 

13 comments:

  1. Dana, I love seeing other author's processes. And I love the notecard thing. I'm going to have try that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me awhile to warm up to that idea. I tend to be impatient and the thought of writing out 50 ideas seemed like a lot. But it's so worth the time.

      Delete
  2. Hi Dana, Like Mindy, I love seeing other author's processes. I learned the free write trick at a writing workshop about 35 years ago and I still use it. That was back in the days of writing in coffee shops on legal pads. The teacher said he would go into his favorite coffee shop and sit and write in huge letters across the top of the page - I have no idea what I'm going to write today. I don't have a clue where this is going. Maybe I should... and he's just go on in that vein until he found an idea to work with. It doesn't really take that long. Plus, there's something about that eye-hand coordination that starts the synapses snapping!
    I also love any running water. I got the idea for my debut while washing the dishes, but showers are even better.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. And I think there's something about actually writing out the ideas rather than typing that helps me think more creatively.

      Delete
  3. I, too, love getting a peek at the way writers write! Thanks, Dana, for sharing your process! For me, beginning is the easy part. It's the finishing that's hard. I have what I call a Sketchbook. It's a collection of worksheets I've made over the years as I've read craft book after craft book and collected the bits and pieces of tools that worked for me, for the way I like to write. It's organized by scenes and consists mostly of questions and goals for that scene that can be used as writing prompts. That way, I never really start with a blank page. I write with notebook paper and pen, answering the questions, finding the story, throwing stuff on the wall to see what sticks. I love this part of the process! It's all idea and invention and possibilities. And very little risk. It's the next part that is more difficult for me. The sorting, revising, and plain old hard work required to turn that rough draft into something cohesive that I might be willing to share with someone else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that the brainstorming process is a lot of fun. I like the idea of a Sketchbook of tools.

      Delete
  4. Ah, the tyranny of the blank page and blinking cursor! Sometimes you just have to roll up your sleeves and get to work. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. That's where the discipline comes in. That's often the hardest part.

      Delete
  5. Great post, Dana. I do find taking a walk can jumpstart my ideas. Movement seems to help somehow. I also like the notecard idea. Please put me in the drawing. The book looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will! And I agree movement seems to help. I have often taken my phone with me and dictated a scene while I write.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love seeing the different methods that all of you use. They may be different but each and everyone apparently works because all of you write books that I love to read!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love reading how other writers deal with different aspects of the writing process. Thanks for sharing your tips. There's always a new nugget to be tried and/or filed away for later use. Crime Scene Witness is the very next book in my TBR pile. Cover looks intriguing, and I'm excited to start it in a couple days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure why I'm anonymous ha. Pat Westmoreland

      Delete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."