Tuesday, April 18, 2023

How Do You Manage the Crazy?

 


Life is busy!

Right now, I'm working on a new proposal, writing under deadline, promoting an upcoming book, and daydreaming about the next. Soon I'll have edits back on one as well. And that's not even including my everyday tasks as wife, mom, friend, and speech-language pathologist. There's a LOT to do!

Thankfully, here in Seekerville, I'm among people who understand the juggling madness.

What are some things you do to manage your time?

For me, here are a few:


1. Prioritize - figuring out what NEEDs to be done first is helpful to me. If I can make some guesses about how long things will take (which is not predictable, I know, but at least a try), I will make a mental list of what needs to happen in what order and then start there.

2. Fast to Slow - Next I'll figure out what can be done rather quickly so I can mark it off my list. Sometimes, the quicker things are the things I enjoy most so then I automatically am more productive at them. I tend to me slower at things I'm not as fond of doing. How about you?




3. Cathy Marie Hake once told me to "write where the fire is". In my priorities, if writing is on the menu and I need to jumpstart my creativity (and efficiency), I'll work on a scene that I'm particularly excited to write. I usually write those faster (and they're usually a romantic scene, a suspenseful scene, a funny scene, or an argument...LOL).

4. Lather on Grace - We can FEEL frenzied when we are really busy and many times that can negatively affect our ability to complete our tasks well. Sometimes, taking a little while to pray and realized God's in control, helps me reset my brain and heart in the right direction. Going for a short walk, taking a brief car ride to see a view, watching a movie with the family...all of these things (and more) can help calm my heart so my creativity and energy is revived for getting tasks done. 

I'd love to learn what works for you?

*****************************************************************************

Pepper Basham is an award-winning author who writes romance “peppered” with grace and humor. Writing both historical and contemporary novels, she loves to incorporate her native Appalachian culture and/or her unabashed adoration of the UK into her stories. Her 20th book came out in February 2023. She currently resides in the lovely mountains of Asheville, NC where she is a wife, mom to five great kids, a speech-language pathologist, and a lover of chocolate, jazz, hats, and Jesus. Her dual timeline novel, Hope Between the Pages, was a 2022 finalist for the prestigious Christy awards. Pepper loves connecting with readers and other authors through social media outlets like Facebook & Instagram.

You can learn more about Pepper and her books on her website at www.pepperdbasham.com


9 comments:

  1. Lovely, Pepper! I enjoyed the photos of your beautiful family! Don't know how you can do so much with the fam and still find time to write! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty crazy, Debby, but I'm so grateful I get to write!!

      Delete
  2. That is quite a schedule, Pepper. I don't know how you do it all. I am like you in that I figure out what most needs to be done and start there. It is hard to juggle so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So wise. I've been thinking about this post today, how doing some things quickly and getting them crossed off can give you some momentum to tackle harder, more lengthy tasks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still learning how to navigate that because sometimes I'm not quite sure which ones will be the shortest or easiest, but I'm getting a little better at guessing.

      Delete
  4. Pepper, thanks for summing up our lives. No matter what phase of life you're in, I doubt a writer ever wakes up in the morning and thinks, "hmm, I have nothing on my plate and I'm bored. I think I'll write all day." LOL! If only!!

    Thanks for the tips on time and sanity management!

    Audra

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pepper, that sounds like a lot! This is my work life right now. I'm so behind. I have a list going with dates in the margin for when stuff has to be done, I've written things on my calendar, and then I have emails that come in and I'll print those off and put in another pile. Then I just start working through the piles, starting with most urgent. So far so good lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. [PLEASE APPROVE MY COMMENT]

    Thank goodness

    Happy to have my boyfriend back after 3 months of breakup,

    Get Your Lover Back & Avoid breakup,

    Help That Really Work Fast,

    Contact him for Relationship/marital problem,

    R.buckler11@gmail(.) com,

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."