Monday, April 24, 2023

Why Deadlines are Important, Even for Pre-Published Writers

Erica here with you today. I'd like to share a famous quote with you, a quote by a prolific writer:





While this may make us chuckle, deadlines are a serious thing in the professional writer's life. Deadlines are not mere guidelines or suggestions. Deadlines are hard and fast and need to be honored. And here are some reasons why:


1. You gave your word. When you signed your contract, the various deadlines were spelled out. What you are expected to do by which date, what the publisher is expected to do and by what date. You put your name on that document, often accepted money to seal the deal, and the publisher has a realistic expectation that you will deliver what you promised when you signed that legal document.

2. Every book has a timeline within the publishing house, and the major date on that timeline is the turning in of the manuscript. Really nothing else can happen until they have the manuscript in house. You, as the author, are the first domino in the chain. The publisher has blocked out dates for the macro/developmental edits, the line edits, the proofreading, the galleys, back cover and advertising copy, cover art, catalog placement, sales calls, online retailer listings and more. In some cases they have hired editors specifically for your project, expecting that the manuscript will be available to work on by the agreed date. If you are late, by even so much as a week, it balls up all the steps further down the pipe. Your failure to be timely in your work has now become someone else's emergency.



3. Your next contract may depend upon it. Imagine you are an acquisition editor, looking at signing an author to another contract or signing on a new author? If the veteran author looking for another contract have been consistently late with deadlines, the editor might be strongly disposed to give someone else a chance to keep their promises instead. This is a small industry, and you can bet that word gets around amongst editors as to who is a professional when it comes to deadlines, and who treats them loosey-goosey and snarls up the calendars. 


But what if you're not yet published? Deadlines don't matter to you, right? WRONG.

Now is the time to begin working toward deadlines. Set them yourself, have someone hold you accountable to them. Perhaps having a contest entry ready on time, or having a manuscript ready before you attend a conference. Prove you can finish something on time. Then start the next thing. When you are a published author, you may have several deadlines for multiple projects. And each round of editing has a deadline included. I just finished galley proofs for my publisher for my fall release, and I had a three week deadline, which is quiet generous. But I had that extra week because I returned my line edits a bit early. The domino effect can work in your favor, too! 

If you know in advance you will not be able to meet a deadline to which you have agreed, please, for the love of frogs and fish-sticks, tell your agent as soon as possible. We understand that life happens. Maybe you become seriously ill, or you have to care for a loved one. Maybe you suffer a tremendous loss...your house burns down, or a child goes off the rails. Do not ghost your agent and editor. Tell them so they can both make plans to extend the deadline as far in advance as possible, and so they can support and pray for you. Waiting and hoping you'll make it, and then springing on your editor the day the ms is due that you're not even halfway finished will not make them happy-smiley. 




Regency London's detective duo is back on a new case--and this one is going to be a killer


Caught in the explosion of the Hammersmith Mill in London, Bow Street Runner Daniel Swann rushes to help any survivors only to find the mill's owner dead of an apparent gunshot.

Even though the owner's daughter, Agatha Montgomery, mourns his death, it seems there are more than a few people with motive for murder. But Daniel can't take this investigation slow and steady. Instead, he must dig through all the suspects as quickly as he can, because the clock is ticking until his mysterious patronage--and his job as a runner--comes to an abrupt and painful end. It seems to Daniel that, like his earthly father, his heavenly Father has abandoned him to the fates.

Lady Juliette Thorndike is Agatha's bosom friend and has the inside knowledge of the wealthy London ton to be invaluable to Daniel. She should be in a perfect position to help with the case. Still, her instructor in the art of spy craft orders her to stay out of the investigation. But circumstances intervene, dropping her into the middle of the deadly pursuit.

When a dreadful accident ends in another death on the mill floor, Daniel discovers a connection to his murder case--and to his own secret past. Now he and Juliette are in a race to find the killer before his time runs out.


Best-selling, award-winning author, Erica Vetsch loves Jesus, history, romance, and sports. When she’s not writing fiction, she’s planning her next trip to a history museum. You can connect with her at her website, www.ericavetsch.com where you can learn about her books and sign up for her newsletter, and you can find her online at https://www.facebook.com/groups/inspirationalregencyreaders where she spends way too much time!


 

21 comments:

  1. Thank you for this great reminder, Erica!
    I've missed a couple deadlines - and it wasn't good. Things happen - I had several major life changes happen within a few years. My editors were gracious, but I felt terrible about letting them down.
    Now that I'm indie-publishing, those deadlines are just as important - no, I don't have a contract with a publishing company, but I've made promises to my readers. And, Lord willing, I will continue to keep those promises.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indie-publishing deadlines are super important! It takes so much self-discipline to meet those deadlines!

      Delete
  2. Thank you, Erica! Two things I took away from your post. One was the word pre-published. Love it! Sounds more positive than unpublished and so much better than wannabe. The second was a quote I wrote down and now have displayed on my desk. "Prove you can finish something on time." - Erica Vetsch

    As a pre-published author, I often struggle with working consistently and with knowing how much work I "should" be getting done. It seems like each author's process and pace is so different, it's hard to know what is considered "normal." That makes it hard sometimes to determine when I'm setting realistic goals and when I'm just setting myself up for failure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I struggle with this too. I don't really know my own process yet, so I don't neve a feel for how long each leg of the journey will take. And I agree that pre-published is a fantastic word!

      Delete
    2. Terri, each author does have a different process. Some are 'binge writers' who hole up for a week at a hotel and write an entire book. Others break their wordcount down into daily doses and when they reach that number, they stop for the day. Others sort of vibe it, and get a little panicked and stressed and write more as the deadline approaches. There's no wrong way to do it if it works for you. Set a goal of one book per year, written, edited, and submitted. Then go from there.

      Delete
    3. Glynis, yay for pre-published. I like that term, too. Figuring out your process is a big part of becoming a successful writer. Set those goals and see what you can do in the time you allot yourself.

      Delete
  3. Great post, Erica! And so true. When you say you'll do something, you should do it, or tell the ones who need to know when something comes up, as soon as it comes up. Seems like I've heard this for forever, but it always seems to fit, if you don't have your word, what else do you have? When I had gone back to school, there were papers due deadlines and test deadlines that I had to keep up. I also get migraines. So I made sure to work ahead so if one hit, I had a little bit of wiggle room.
    I, too, like the term pre-published!! We have started a writing group at work that meets two-hours/twice a month that ties into professional development. I'm going to see how that goes and I'm thinking about expanding that into an evening writing group. Thanks for the great tips in this post, Erica!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A writing group should help hold you accountable to meet those goals, especially if you're expected to turn in chapters for critique! Yay for an in-person writing group!

      Delete
  4. I really need to do better with my self-imposed deadlines. I did complete a deadline to enter the Genesis contest. But I need to do better on my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you. I don't do well if I don't have an outside deadline and someone else waiting on me. Self-imposed deadlines don't seem to work for me.

      Delete
    2. Congratulations on meeting your Genesis deadline! That's a great place to start!

      Delete
    3. Glynis, perhaps you can get an accountability partner. I know a pair of authors who set themselves writing goals, and if they didn't meet them, they had to pay each other cash! Whoa!

      Delete
    4. I'm pretty cheap, Erica, so the cash thing might just work! Lol!

      Delete
  5. Erica, deadlines ... emphasis on dead. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! True. I usually am only fit to lie down in a darkened room after turning in a ms...

      Delete
  6. Without a deadline, I procrastinate. Shame on me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great suggestions for ALL of us because deadlines exist in more than a writer's world! Loved your insights and looking forward to Millstone of Doubt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been schooled often on how many things from my writer life apply to just life in general. Truth is truth, isn't it?

      Delete
  8. "You gave your word." Oh, what a guilt trip! But true, oh so true. I hate letting people down, so as soon as I say, "that sounds great," I better start typing away.

    Thanks for spelling out dependability. It's a great trait to have.

    Audra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "You gave your word" has kept me at the keyboard more than anything else when the writing is hard.

      Delete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."