Wednesday, May 24, 2023

Lessons from a Classroom: The Power of Yet

 I love it when worlds collide, like when earlier this week my librarian daughter messaged me to ask if I knew a particular Love Inspired author because she had just catalogued two of her books. Why yes. I'm even friends with Connie Queen. 😀

The happy collision I'm thinking of today is how lessons taught in a classroom of preteens can apply equally to writers. A few weeks ago, we had a group come to do an assembly with students on mindsets. In preparation for the program, I was reviewing some cute videos with my class, because cartoons can be ageless.

Here are links to them. If you have a few minutes, you might enjoy MOJO! (He's really cute.)

In Episode 1, 'A Secret about the Brain,' Mojo learns a secret from his friend, Katie, that changes how he thinks about learning!*

 


 

 In Episode 2, "The Magic of Mistakes," Mojo learns that building a robot is much harder then he expects. Mojo keeps trying but eventually gives up. Thankfully Katie stops by to remind Mojo that mistakes are no big deal and they can even make you smarter! It all depends on how you react to them. If you give up, your brain gets lazy and doesn't get the exercise needed to grow. The trick is to learn from mistakes, which helps your mind get stronger.*

 

My favorite is Episode #3 The Power of Yet!

 


 

In Episode 3, "The Incredible Power of Yet," it's Katie's turn to learn about the growth mindset. Katie loves being the smartest monster in the class, but one day in science class, she realizes that she doesn't understand the lesson being taught. Instead of asking for help, Katie freezes, because she's worried that everyone will think she's not so smart after all. Fortunately, Mojo stops by to remind Katie that he's realized that if he gets stuck, instead of saying "I can't do this," Mojo says "I can't do this, yet!" and then ask for help. Either friends or elders may be able to help advise how to solve the problem. Don't be embarrassed to ask for help! You are missing an opportunity to learn something new.*



There are more episodes, but I wanted to just focus on these three and how they apply to us.

#1  In Episode 1, Mojo is quitting school and running away because he thinks he's not smart enough. He says, "You're either born smart or you're not, and I'm not."

His friend Katie quickly shows him the error of his thinking and teaches him how he needs to use his brain, to exercise it.

That made me think. How many times have we thought, even if maybe not consciously, that you're either born a writer or you're not. Hopefully, you've never said  And I'm not! But there are certainly times we doubt ourselves, doubt whether we are really cut out for this, or if we can ever be successful.

#2 In Episode 2, Mojo has to learn that failure is not the end. That just because something doesn't work the first time doesn't mean you scrap it and give up. 

How many times are we tempted to give up when a rejection comes or a revision letter seems insurmountable? If we want to succeed, we need to follow Katie's advice and try harder, learn from our mistakes and do better.

#3 Have you ever wanted to give up on a manuscript and just toss paper airplanes? Maybe not, but cleaning the kitchen, doing the laundry, climbing Mt. Everest - when things are going tough in the writing world any of these can seem like a better option. In Episode 3 the tables are turned and it's Katie who is struggling because she suddenly can't do everything perfectly. She's afraid to ask for help, afraid others will laugh at her because she needs it. But the lesson is we all need help for different things, and together we can be stronger.  We might not know it/be it/do it now, but it's not never, it's just not YET!

Can't figure out that plot? Don't give up. You just haven't figured it out YET.

Haven't heard back on a proposal. Keep writing. You just haven't heard back YET.

Got a rejection or an R&R? Don't give up. You're just not there YET.

I know this all sounds somewhat simplistic and childish, but sometimes we let our adult minds saddle us with problems, and we look for complicated answers. Maybe, sometimes at least, the answer can be this simple. Maybe, sometimes we need an amusing reminder not to give up because things are hard.

What do you think?  Can Mojo and Katie help you keep going and get you to believe in the power of YET?


Some good news - that proposal I was waiting on - the one that I sent in just before my editor left? My new editor loves it and I have a new two book contract! I made it past YET for that one! And because I followed Mojo and Katie's advice and didn't give up (too often anyway), Book 1 is almost done.


I'd love to hear your thoughts.


* Source of quotes. Find more of the mindset info here:  https://ideas.classdojo.com/b/growth-mindset

8 comments:

  1. I love this, Cate. The power of "yet!" So much of writing is in process - months of working, planning, and learning, all for that elusive goal of finishing the book or landing the contract. So it seems like we're always in the "not yet, but soon" stage. :-)

    And congratulations on your new contract!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan.
      I totally agree. If we're in the "there" stage for one project, it's "not there yet" for another. I guess it's always important to focus on doing our best for whatever part is actually in our control since so much isn't.

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for this message, Cate! God is talking to me in stereo this morning. In my Bible time today, 2 Samuel 5:1-5 stood out to me. The Israelites finally asked David to be their king. How many years passed between the time Samuel first annointed David as God's chosen leader and the time he actually reigned? How many battles did he have to fight to get there? The Doctrine of Open Doors suggests that if God called us to something, we should be able to accomplish it quickly and easily. But if you read through Scripture, you find that quick and easy is not often the way God works. Just because the way is hard and the doors are shut doesn't necessarily mean that God didn't really call us. It might just mean that He's growing us, preparing us, and drawing us closer to Himself.

    Congratulations on your book contract! And thank you for your encouraging words. And the cute videos to illustrate the lesson. I am so showing those to my grandkids!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is beautiful, Terri. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I've been doing Samuel with my class, but I hadn't thought to make that connection.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the great lesson, Cate. I really needed to hear it concerning my writing. And congratulations on your contract for two books. I can't wait to read them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sandy. Sometimes we do need reminders. I'm glad this came at a good time.

      Delete
  4. Cate - I love this! My husband is a teacher and big into growth mindset - it's something we talk about a lot (passing on these videos to him...).

    I love the last point - YET. It's something someone told me a couple of years ago that stuck with me (it's not your time yet). And kind of a mantra I use when I get an R&R or a rejection: The reader that I'm writing this story for isn't ready for it yet. But s/he will be eventually.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the way you are thinking about your writing, Lee-Ann. So much of it is timing, and it's good to have a way to maintain our positivity.

      Delete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."