Wednesday, June 7, 2023

Building Your Readership


 by Mindy Obenhaus

You’ve worked for years, honing your craft and, finally, you’ve received that seemingly elusive book contract. You get a publication date. You tell everyone you know about your upcoming release. You blast the cover across your social media accounts. You do some guests posts for blogging friends. Maybe a podcast. But will it be enough?

Let me pause here to say that I’m coming at this from a traditionally published viewpoint. I’m not tech savvy, nor am I familiar with all that’s out there. These are just some things I’ve learned along the way. But the one thing I do know is that the number one way to build your readership is to get your book into the hands of readers.  

Building a readership is like building a friendship. It doesn’t happen overnight. It takes time, nurturing and patience. Trust has to be built. If a reader likes your first book, they’re more apt to pick up the next one. More importantly, they might tell someone else about your book and word of mouth is a powerful thing. Anyone remember the shampoo commercial back in the 70s that showed the power of telling two friends? Then they told two friends, and so on. But in order for them to do that, the first one has to read your book. Which leads me back to my previous point... 

The number one way to build your readership is to get your book into the hands of readers. As many as possible. 

How do you do that?

Launch Teams – I’ll admit that I’m new to the world of launch teams. But when life went wonky right before my most recent book released, my relatively small team stood in the gap for me. They stepped in and flooded social media in my stead. For me, the purpose of a launch team is to make people aware of my books by creating buzz and leaving reviews. The burden is always lighter when we have others to help us carry it.

Giveaways – Giveaway a book to one lucky newsletter subscriber. Do a Flash Giveaway on one of your social media outlets. You specify a cutoff time and have them leave a comment to be entered. Yes, people like to receive free books, but you might end up with some new fans as a result.

Promotions and Virtual Book Tours – Things like Booksweeps list builder promos are a good way to get the ball rolling. They’re relatively inexpensive and you’re usually giving away digital copies of your book. 

If you can afford it, I recommend some sort of tour through a company like JustRead Publicity Tours. And I’m not just saying that because Carrie and Beth are a part of this blog, but because I know from personal experience. Many reviews have said, “This was a new-to-me author, but I look forward to her next book.” Would they have picked up my book otherwise? Who knows? But I’ve gained many new readers as a result of their campaigns. 

No matter what you choose to do to build readership, the goal is to--say it with me--get your book into the hands of readers. That’s why you’ll often see digital books priced under $2 on Amazon. Publishers know it works and so do indy authors. Folks will buy 99 cent books all day long. And they sometimes find a new favorite author.

When was the last time you found a new-to-you author who quickly became a favorite? Authors, if you have some tips for building readership, please chime in. In keeping with my advice, I’m giving away a copy of my new release, Loving the Rancher’s Children, to one lucky commentor. Simply leave a comment to be entered. If you comment as Anonymous, please leave your name in the comment. (US mailing addresses, choice of print or ebook. International, ebook only)



Best-selling author Mindy Obenhaus is passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. She lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, two sassy pups, countless cattle, deer and the occasional coyote, mountain lion or snake. When shes not writing, she enjoys spending time with her grandchildren, cooking and watching copious amounts of the Hallmark Channel. Learn more at www.MindyObenhaus.com




14 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new book, Mindy! It looks like another wonderful story. Word of mouth and personal recommendations are always my favorite ways of finding new authors because it adds another personal point of connection with the friend who recommended it. I love to try $0.99 e-books as well, because it's an easy and clutter-free way to try someone out. Thanks for the informative post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Glynis. Thank you, and thanks for sharing your thoughts on what draws you to new authors. That's just the kind of feedback I was hoping for.

      Delete
  2. Hi Mindy, I'm hopping on here to say, "Congratulations and you made it through "those couple of weeks," whew! Recently, I found a new author who writes Christian suspense Gothic-style, and I enjoyed the book. I found her through a group I follow on social media. I love her author voice, so I'm checking out her other books. It always helps when authors have those $0.99 cent books. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, I forgot to mention social media groups, so I'm glad you brought that up. And thank you for being one of those who helped me make it through those challenging weeks. I couldn't have done it without you.

      Delete
  3. Mindy, no need to put me in the drawing. I am reading this book now. I am enjoying it! I enjoy all of your series. I do often find new authors from free or $.99 books. Like you said, it is easy to spend under a buck to try an author I might not have otherwise. I probably pick up a lot of new authors from posts here in Seekerville as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sandy. I'm so glad you're enjoying the story. Yes, blog posts play a role in that whole word of mouth scenario. :D

      Delete
  4. Sounds great and I love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  5. No matter how large or small an author's reader community is, we can always use new readers! Thanks for this great post, Mindy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I started working at the library, word of mouth and library journals were the best way to learn about new books and authors but social media has certainly been a boon to both authors and readers. Reader's groups, launch teams, and pages like Seekerville are also a great help! I found Seekerville shortly after I retired and I've discovered some great authors in these pages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the boon, Connie. It makes us feel less alone when we're able to connect with like minded people.

      Delete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."