Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Front Matter...Back Matter...What Matter?

By Debby Giusti 

Soon after my first book went to contract, my editor asked for the front matter and back matter to be submitted along with my completed manuscript.

“Matter? What matter?” I asked, feeling totally clueless.

I soon learned that front matter refers to information on pages included before the beginning of the story. Similarly, back matter is anything added after the end of the story.

Today, let’s take a closer look at the front matter. I’ll cover the back matter in my next post.

I write for Love Inspired Suspense. The first page in each book includes pull quotes from the story to tease the reader. The second page has the author’s bio and a list of some of the author’s previous publications. The title and copyright information follow. All of those pages are considered front matter.


The page following the copyright in Love Inspired books as well as in many other Christian stories is a Bible verse that ties in with the plot or character development.

Amish Blast Investigation releases on June 27, and for that story, I chose Luke 12:24 as my Scripture verse. “For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.” The story involves an Amish baker, Becca Klein, who helps the estranged son of a kindly older man, who was killed in an explosion at her bakery, uncover the truth about his dad. Becca has a lot to learn about life and love so the verse is applicable to the story.

In lieu of a scripture verse, secular books sometimes include an epigraph, which could be a quote or short paragraph that doesn’t refer directly to the story but may have bearing on the theme, setting or mood of the story. A foreward or type of recommendation for the book is written by someone other than the author, usually a person of prominence, and may be included as well as a preface by the author that tells how the book came to be written. Some books include an introduction that provides insight into what topics the reader can expect to find within the story. All of these are considered front matter.

Authors who interview subject matter experts for research will note their help in the acknowledgements. Often the author adds a caveat that any mistakes made are the author’s and have no bearing on the expert he or she interviewed.


An editor, agent or even the entire staff at a publishing house might be added to the acknowledgments. Before selling my first story, I often scanned this information in newly released books to learn which agents represented which authors. The information helped me determine the agents I should query when I sought representation for my own story.

The dedication is another bit of front matter found in both secular and Christian publications. I’ve dedicated books to my husband, my children, my parents, to law enforcement officers, the military and to reader friends whose support has meant so much to me.

Amish Blast Investigation is dedicated to Carol Rose. In my book, I explained that Carol is “a beautiful woman with a huge heart who not only cares for the aged and infirm but also provides support and encouragement for their families. God bless you, Carol," I wrote in the dedication, "for your compassionate ministry to those in need.”


Carol Rose & Debby

Carol cared for my dear friend’s husband who had Alzheimer’s. She has also helped a number of other seniors from my church who needed in-home care. It was an honor to dedicate the book to Carol. I named a character after her as well. 

Do you read the front matter before you buy a book? Does it have bearing on your purchase? Have you ever had a book dedicated to you? What about prefaces, forewords and introductions? Do they help “sell” the story?

Writers, share your thoughts on the front matter? Do you spend time choosing a Scripture or deciding upon your dedications and acknowledgments?

Leave a comment to be entered in two drawings with each winner receiving a copy of Amish Blast Investigation. 

Happy writing! Happy reading! 

Wishing you abundant blessings,

Debby Giusti

www.DebbyGiusti.com


Amish Blast Investigation

A deadly explosion.

A dangerous search for the truth.

After an explosion rocks Becca Klein’s bakery and kills one of her customers, she teams up with the victim’s son to find justice. Though estranged from his father, Englischer Luke Snyder is compelled to help the Amish woman uncover why his father died. But ruthless killers believe Luke’s father gave Becca something they want, and they’ll stop at nothing to get it. Can Luke keep Becca safe until they discover the truth?

Pre-Order NOW

11 comments:

  1. Good post, Debby. I read a lot of "front" and "back" matter. It helps me know an author better. It's a valuable tool and part of the whole writing process.
    It is always good to hear from you.
    Short visit today, I have to deal with an EDIT LETTER for my upcoming Christmas story. Kill me now...No, don't. Just pray that I remember why we do this.
    Kathy Bailey
    Your Kaybee
    Facing the edit letter in New Hampshire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have fun with your edits, Kaybee! I always appreciate edit letters because they help me make my story stronger. Hang in there!

      Delete
    2. I agree with Jan! Your story will be stronger after the edits. Are edits painful? They can be, but just keep the end in mind. BTW, I'm proud of what you've done! Way to go, KayBee!

      Delete
  2. I appreciate front matter and read the pages before I start the story. The Bible verse, dedication, and other information help me understand the author's intent in the story. If I just plunge right in to reading, it can take a few pages to get myself oriented.

    Congratulations on your new release!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you, Jan, I enjoy reading all the front matter first. Usually, I save the back matter until I've read the story.

      Delete
  3. I read or at least glance at the front matter. I almost never read the excerpt from the story in the front pages, though. No need to put me in the drawing. I have your book on order from the bookstore where I work. I look forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Sandy! Your support means so much to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I generally read the dedication and scriptures in the front matter. Honestly, the cover and name of the book are what “sells” me on a book. I don’t typically read anything but the front. Very rarely do I read a back cover. I prefer to have a general idea about what the book is about and be surprised. I feel if I know to much the storyline will be predictable. I enjoy your books. I was excited to see the name and cover for your new book. It is very eye catching and make the book look interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, my name didn't show under this comment. Connie cps1950ATgmailDOTcom

      Delete
    2. Connie, thanks for adding your name and email! I was worried about how to contact you if you should win a book! Thanks too for your kind words about the cover for AMISH BLAST INVESTIGATION!

      Delete
  6. Just catching up here on this sunny Saturday morning. :) I tend to skim past the front matter when I start a book, but go back after I've finished, to read it in more detail. And yes, I've been mentioned once...in one of my daughter's earliest books. (Shari Green writes mid-grade verse novels and some YA.)

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."