Monday, June 19, 2023

What is a Hero?

 



Happy Day-After-Father's-Day!

I thought I'd take a little time today to explore heroes. Every story has one, whether we're talking about romance stories, westerns, fantasy...or your own personal hero.

Like many of my friends (too many,) I lost my first hero this year when my father passed away. Like all fathers and daughters, we had a mixed relationship. I was a pistol as a child (just look at the expression on my face!!!) so I take a lot of the blame.


But even when we disagreed, he was still my hero. His work as a pastor was tireless, serving on various committees in our church denomination and in the community. He stood up for what he believed in, and he changed people's lives.

Which brings me to our question of the day: What is a hero?

Here's my definition: A hero is a man who is loving and tender. He is quick to defend others, but slow to anger. He is steadfast. He is able. He is controlled strength. He stands in the gap when all others fall away.

Let's look at a few fictional heroes to see what makes them who they are. If these guys all look like typical models, it's because they are. All photos are from Shutterstock. :-)


Jase is twenty-six years old, and tired of dating. It's hard to meet someone, and the nice girls that his best friend sets him up with are...well...to be honest...a bit boring. There's nothing wrong with settling down and raising a family. Someday. But until then, he'd love to meet someone who enjoys skiing, mountain biking, or a day on a hiking trail.

What makes Jase a hero? He's an overcomer.

Twelve years ago he and a friend were swimming in a local lake - just fooling around the way guys do. Jase challenged his friend to a race across the lake, but when Jase reached the other side, Austin was gone. Just gone.

Jase has worked hard to overcome the guilt over leading Austin to his death - for not saving him - for suggesting the race in the first place. And with the help of some good friends and faith in his loving Lord, he is in a good place now.

At the beginning of his romance story, Jase is good. On the surface, at least.

Until he falls in love with Michelle, an Olympic swimmer, and he has to face his fear of the water.



Tony (not his real name) is a careful man. Careful to stay in the shadows. Do his job. Shut up. Don't get involved. Do nothing that would make someone interested in him...in his past.

Until he notices Delilah. A new girl in his apartment building. They get home from work at the same time, so he starts making sure she gets into the building safely at night. He listens for her to shoot the bolt home on her door. Against his better judgement, he starts caring about what happens to her.

A few days after Delilah moves into the building, he witnesses her making a drug sale on the street.
Don't ask how he knew what was happening - but he knew the scene all too well.

What happens in his romance story? He saves Delilah, of course, but he puts himself at risk when he does. Because Delilah's drug dealer is the brother of the man who went to prison as a result of Tony's testimony in court.

But he'd risk everything - even his life - to get Delilah out of that mess she's in.


Does Chuck surprise you?

You might think he looks like someone's grandfather rather than a hero - but look again. Chuck is retired now, but he spent his adult life working as a contractor, building dream houses for other people. He raised his kids, loved his wife, was successful at his job. But one day, only a few months before he planned to retire, his wife was diagnosed with cancer. Treatments ate up their life savings until his wife of forty-six years finally succumbed.

Not only had Chuck lost his life partner, but all the plans they had made for "someday" were now gone like smoke.

But Arlene had left Chuck a legacy - her Bible full of notes, outlines, underlining, and one piece of instruction on the front page: "Chuck, read this. Don't wait until it's too late."

He read the Book and it changed his life.

Now Chuck wasn't only a hero, he was a hero working for Christ. He put his construction skills to work in his church's mission organization and built houses, schools, and hospitals in some of the remotest corners of the world.

Where is Chuck's romance story? After losing Arlene, Chuck never dreamed he would ever love another woman. But when a hammer-wielding retired teacher shows up on his construction site in Peru, he realizes that God has other plans.

Thomas came home from deployment with a missing leg and a missing buddy. Craig had been killed by a sniper's bullet in Afghanistan, not knowing that his wife was expecting their first child. So when Thomas stopped by to give Craig's personal effects to Anne six months later, he was met by the undeniable evidence that Craig's child was on the way. 

He couldn't turn his back on his best friend's child. Anne needed his help.

Even though he was still recovering from his own wounds, Thomas stepped in where Craig couldn't. He painted the house, hired a neighbor kid to mow the lawn, took Anne to childbirth classes, stood by while she sweated through the hot summer...and fell in love.

And that is Thomas' romance story. When Anne needed support, Thomas sacrificed his own comfort to give it to her. What started as an effort to provide a father figure for Craig's child ended in a happily-ever-after for the two people who loved Craig the most.


So, what is a hero?

Overcomer? Protector? A man who devotes his time and talents to the Lord? A man who sacrifices his own life plans for another?

Who is the hero in your life?

Tell us in the comments! 






13 comments:

  1. I love this post, Jan. Heroes come in so many different varieties. I'm married to my hero. He believed in me when I didn't believe in myself. He always encourages me and lifts me up. I am a better person because of him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Mindy! Husbands are the best. If I had mentioned mine in the post I wouldn't have written about anything else. <3

      Delete
  2. I would also have to define my hero as my husband. He is the one who helped me believe in a Jesus who loved me unconditionally by showing me what it looked like to love someone even when she was unlovely. His constant, unwavering support and reliability have changed the course of my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am constantly thankful that God puts couples together this way!

      Delete
  3. Each of your heroes needs their story written, Jan. Are you planning to bring their stories to life? Great heroes all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Debby, if I only had enough time to write all these stories! They are definitely in my ideas folder, though!

      Delete
  4. What is a hero. Thats such a tricky question because a lot of my heroes aren't exactly typical. They're too quiet, clueless about women and romance, but they are who you turn to in a crisis. I think your comment, 'stand in the gap' is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the kicker for me - if a man can stand in the gap, he's my favorite hero. If he can't...well, there's always the bad guy role!

      BTW - I finished "Forged in Love" last night. Clint is such a great hero!

      Delete
  5. Love your examples. Heroes are all different to different people and are often formed just in the moments where they are needed most. I agree that each of these heroes makes a great story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with those who mentioned their husband as their hero. My husband is loyal, God-fearing, and willing to help others! Sounds like a hero to me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."