Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Leaving Behind a Spiritual Legacy with Guest Lisa Jordan

by Lisa Jordan, @lisajordan


One of the greatest blessings in my life was having Christian grandparents who planted seeds of faith from the time I was very young. Growing up down the road from my grandparents’ dairy farm, many of my happy memories are filled with bottle feeding calves, the rope swing in the hay barn, swimming and camping by the creek (pronounced crick, by the way J ) that cut through their property, noisy family get-togethers, and the values of faith, family and hard work instilled by my grandparents, my mom, aunts and uncles.

However, my grandma’s sudden passing in February 1985 was a turning point in my life. She’d been my rock, my safety net, and she was gone when I needed her the most. I was so mad at God that I turned my back on Him for 13 years.

But, you see, my grandparents left behind one of the greatest gifts—a spiritual legacy. They were the real deal, y’all—(ok, so I’m not Southern, but the y’all just fits here.) Their Bibles were worn from daily use, their knees calloused from constant prayers, and they didn’t live to see all of the fruit yielded from the seeds they had planted during their many years teaching Sunday school and living out their faith. 

Despite walking away from my faith, those seeds began to bloom. Even though, I crowded them with weeds of poor choices, the roots remained strong.

Then, during a cold, ordinary Wednesday in February—fourteen years after my grandma’s death—I rededicated my life to Christ. My aching heart grieved over the mistakes I’d made and the loved ones I’d hurt as I poured my pain and anguish out to Jesus. Being the amazing Gardener that He is, He continued to prune (and still does), cutting away those dead branches bearing no fruit. Now, I strive to follow in my grandparents’ footsteps—teaching Sunday school and living out my faith in an authentic manner. And being obedient to the call God has placed on my heart—writing stories that promise hope and happily ever after. All because of the spiritual legacy that had been left behind after my grandparents passed.

When I finished my Lakeside series with Love Inspired and considered what to write next, I was inspired by my childhood and the legacy of faith my grandparents had left behind. I see it so vividly during our annual family reunions. That sparked the idea of the Holland brothers, beginning with Jake.   

The Holland family, comprised of Chuck Holland and his four sons—Jake, Tucker, Evan, and Micah, understand the pain of devastation and loss. However, as they walk through their own stories, they’re reminded there’s always hope in the heartache.

In Season of Hope, the first book in my Holland Brothers series, which releases in stores today (!!), Jake wants to pass down a legacy by creating a Fatigues to Farming program that will help veterans with disabilities learn farming in order to start their own small businesses. It’s his way of making amends and keeping a promise. Jake wants to offer hope to those who feel helpless. And in his mind, that legacy is tied to a place—his family farm. But his ex-wife’s sudden reappearance in his life...and his community...creates conflict for his plan.

Later in the story, Jake is talking with his dad about leaving behind a legacy. And Chuck tells him,  “Son, a legacy isn’t a place or a thing. A legacy happens through the people you love and the lives you change. It’s rooted in faith and integrity. Find your hope, then work like crazy to hold on to it. There’s always hope. Even in the heartache.”

When I created this series, I wanted to show how the Holland brothers’ realistic problems pave the way to finding their hope...and their faith. Faith is believing without seeing, and when we’re walking through the valley of darkness, it can be difficult to keep the faith and see the Light. No matter what challenges we’re facing, though, God is with us every step of the way, waiting to lead us through those difficult seasons. So I encourage you to hold onto the Hope no matter your season in life.

You can read the first chapter of Season of Hope here: Season of Hope chapter preview

I’m giving away one autographed copy of Season of Hope to one commenter. Please leave a comment to be entered in the drawing.

I’m doing a Down on the Farm giveaway for my newsletter subscribers. If you would like to subscribe to my newsletter, you can sign up here: Lisa Jordan’s Newsletter

Your Turn: How has your faith helped you to find Hope in the heartache?

His dreams can all come true…but only if his ex-wife will agree!
Jake Holland’s peaceful dairy farm is a sanctuary—one he wants to share with other worn and weary veterans. He just needs one more piece of land to start his program…and it belongs to Tori Lerner, his ex-wife. A collaboration could benefit them both, but with a past full of secrets between them, is there any hope for renewed love?

Heart, home, and faith have always been important to Lisa Jordan so writing stories with those elements come naturally. Represented by Rachelle Gardner of Books & Such Literary Management, Lisa is an award-winning author for Love Inspired, writing contemporary Christian romances that promise hope and happily ever after. Her latest book, Season of Hope, releases in March 2019. She is the Operations Manager for My Book Therapy, an online writing site that teaches writing craft, coaching, and building community. Happily married to her own real-life hero for thirty years, Lisa and her husband have two grown sons. When she isn’t writing, Lisa enjoys family time, kayaking, good books, and creating with words, stamps, fibers, and photos. Visit her at lisajordanbooks.com.

54 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa:

    Your new book theme seems to be an ideal subject for an inspirational romance. I look forward to reading it. For while you may think you can turn your back on God, God is everywhere. Any way you turn you'll still be looking right at God.

    Your story made me think of the poem "Footprints in the Sand" in which it seemed that during the good times in the author's life God was his companion but at the author's saddest moments God's footprints disappeared from view. He asked God why he was abandoned during the times he most needed God as his companion.

    The poem ends this way:

    He whispered, "My precious child, I love you and will never leave you
    Never, ever, during your trials and testings.
    When you saw only one set of footprints,
    It was then that I carried you."


    BTW: were you from Oklahoma? I came from New Jersey, where a creek was a shallow stream, to Oklahoma where a Creek was an Indian tribe and a crick was a shallow stream.

    I was confused when I first heard the Johnny Cash song with the line: "If the good Lord is willing and the creeks don't rise." I wasn't sure which way to take this!

    I too was blessed with parents who worked hard to pay for all us children to go to Christian schools as well as church. That was a true legacy.

    Thanks for you post today.

    Vince

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vince, I love that particular portion of the Footprints poem. Such a great reminder. One we're usually quick to forget.

      Delete
    2. Vince, I'm from PA, not OK, and that's how we say it in my area. :) I love that poem and the visual it creates of God carrying us in our troubles. Thanks for visiting. :)

      Delete
    3. Lisa: So you are from PA, Pennsylvania Dutch country, maybe? Do you have any plans to write an Amish or Mennonite-Lutheran romance? Because when I think of legacy, the Amish and Mennonite groups really stand out. Maybe that's why they are so popular. I think there are many who seek legacy but did not get it in their childhood.

      I've always felt sad that my mother would not let my grandmother, who lived with us for years, teach me to speak Norwegian. I wanted to learn it. Legacy can be withheld. Something to think about.

      Delete
    4. Vince, I'm on the other side of the state from the Pennsylvania Dutch, but there are many Amish families in the county where I live. Right now, I'm not called to write Amish or Mennonite romance. There are so many talented authors already who are writing great Amish stories. You're right--legacy can be withheld. That would be a great premise for a story...hmmm. :)

      Delete
  2. Lisa, welcome back! And congrats on your latest book, good for you! I love the thought of leaving a spiritual legacy and your grandma must have been a wonderful person. Enjoy your day...

    COFFEE AND TEA ARE HERE!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ruthie! My grandma was pretty amazing. I'm blessed to have had her in my life. And I'll have chai tea with a splash of almond milk. :)

      Delete
  3. This book series sounds wonderful! I think many of us writers wonder about how we can do that through our work. I also love the farming theme, as someone who has a mini farm and has worked with the revival of small farms. Thanks for your thoughtful post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, I think the revival of small farms is a wonderful thing. I love the whole farm-to-table concept.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Liz. I'm excited to share the brothers' stories with my readers and how the farm theme is drawn through the rest of the series. How many animals are on your farm?

      Delete
    3. We don't have animals, we only grow veggies, flowers, and pumpkins. Unless you count a cat!

      Delete
  4. This new book sounds wonderful and I love your definition of legacy. God blessed me with four fantastic, Jesus-following grandparents and even more amazing, one of them still prays for us all every day :) Although I never lived close to my grandparents, I always knew that their love, prayers, generosity, and faith made my parents who they are and in turn helped me become who I am.

    My kids are teens so I'm not looking to add "grandmother" to my resume just yet, but my husband and I were just talking last night about how different we will be as grandparents than we are as parents! How much fun will that be?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glynis, grandparenting is like the best parts of parenting. Yes, we still worry and pray, but with all of our parenting experience behind us, we have a different perspective. We are, indeed, wiser. And then we get to love on the grands, spoil them, have all sorts of fun with them...

      Delete
    2. Glynis, you're so blessed to have that legacy. And I'm in a new grandmother season in my life, and it's quite different than my parental role. Enjoy your current season of life because the next one will be here soon enough! :)

      Delete
  5. Lisa, your book and series sound wonderful! I love hearing about your grandparents, which sent me down memory lane. I never knew my maternal grandfather - he died when my mother was only 3 months old. But her mother, my maternal grandmother, was a godly woman, who never missed a Sunday in church unless the weather was so bad, she couldn't walk to church. She lived just around the corner from my paternal grandparents, who were also godly examples to our family. We all attended the same church, which was within a block of my grandparents' homes and our home as well. They passed on a legacy of praying for all of their children, grandchildren and great grandchildren. My parents continued that legacy and every night, called out their children, spouses, grandchildren and great grandchildren by name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such a great story, Edwina.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Edwina! That prayer legacy is such a treasured gift. And being called out by name is an incredible blessing.

      Delete
  6. I loved reading your testimony. I’m blessed to have a legacy handed down from my grandparents to my parents to me. I pray it passes on. God bless you. I have gotten through the difficult times by just saying Jesus when I couldn’t pray.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucy, sometimes we only have strength enough to call on His name.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Lucy. Jesus knows the words in our tears and just calling out his name is plenty.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing your journey with us, Lisa. Season of Hope is going on my TBR list. I understand the impact your grandparents had on your life. My writing is usually based not only on where my grandparents lived, what they did and how they spoke, but even more so on how they made me feel, which was always loved. I also know the "real way" to pronounce creek. I'd sure love to hear my grandpa say it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy, I think God gives us grandparents so we can learn those "things of old." Whether it's a spiritual legacy or the meaning of hard work, those are things that the world is lacking today and need to be passed on.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Cindy! The way we make people feel will stay with them so much more than what we do for them. Your writing sounds like it will be a great blessing to your readers. :)

      Delete
  8. Good morning, Lisa!

    What a great theme for your new series! I've also been blessed with the legacy that was passed on to me, and I love watching that legacy bloom in the next generation.

    I'm putting Season of Hope on my TBR list, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan! I'm so thrilled you get to see your legacy blooming. I feel that's quite a gift. :)

      Delete
  9. Lisa, welcome! What a wonderful story of your grandparents influence on your life! And what a wonderful way to turn it around and to now bless others with your writing.

    I love the description of this new series!! Congratulations on the new release!

    As for your question, I had a hard time after my dad died this past year. But my faith helped me cling to hope, even through the grief.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy, I often wonder how people who don't have faith get through grief or any other tough time.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Missy! In a period of 18 months, we lost my dad, my father-in-law, and a bunch of other challenges, including our youngest son being critically ill, but my faith grew stronger as I had to lean on God to get through that difficult season.

      Delete
    3. Mindy, I agree with you. And Lisa, what a hard year for you! I'm so glad you were able to lean on your faith.

      Delete
  10. Lisa, I loved hearing your story and how your grandparents played a role in planting seeds of faith in your life. Both my grandfathers were preachers and my grandmothers were godly servants who lived and loved well. True examples of faith in action.

    Your new book sounds fabulous. I don't know that I've ever read a book about exes coming together. Can't wait to read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherrinda, I love the way you describe your grandmothers. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we were all godly servants?

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Sherrinda. I hope you enjoy Jake and Tori's story. I believe God can redeem broken marriages. Your true examples of living faith are gifts. Blessed treasures.

      Delete
  11. Your testimony is inspiring, Lisa. Such a legacy for you to have in the godly exampole of your grandparents. My mother was a believer and set a godly example for me. She spoke about her mother's faith and how her example influenced the choices my own mother had made. Lovely to learn more about your writing journey and to discover the reason for your choice of a theme in your novels. All the best with your latest release.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat, the fact that your mother spoke of grandmother's faith is one of the highest compliments.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Pat. My mother is an amazing testimony of God's redeeming grace, and it comes from the seeds planted by her parents.

      Delete
    3. Yes. I agree, Mindy. And my grandmother had a very difficult situation in the home.

      Delete
    4. Lisa, so true for me as well. Wonderful to connect with another author from PA here.

      Delete
  12. Hi Lisa:

    Speaking of 'cricks', some years back my father-in-law mentioned that he helped build an underwater bridge in the WPA and it was just a few miles down an old road just off the new highway. He wanted to show me it.

    I thought, 'underwater bridge' is like watching submarine races, but I played along with him and we drove down this old dirt road until there was a running creek right across the road!

    "Just drive into the crick," he said.

    "I'm not driving into moving water!" The stream was at least 14' wide and the water moving pretty fast.

    "Stop the car," he said.

    We got out of the car at the water's edge and to the right was a concrete square post about 6" above the water and on the top it was written WPA 1937. We then looked into the water and saw the concrete road built under the water. Reluctantly I drove over the 'bridge' and we went on our way.

    "That's how we built bridges over cricks. Not fancy but fast and cheap. Of course, if the cricks rise too high, well then you have to go by horse."

    Well, it was during the depression, you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great story, Vince. What do you mean by WPA?

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. Hi Lisa:
      Here's info from the History Channel about the WPA.

      "The Works Progress Administration (WPA) was an ambitious employment and infrastructure program created by President Roosevelt in 1935, during the bleakest years of the Great Depression. Over its eight years of existence, the WPA put roughly 8.5 million Americans to work."

      Their works can be found all over America.

      Delete
  13. I love your reminder, Lisa, that true legacy involves the intangibles. I often think of the spiritual legacy my grandmother left me, an example of a dogged faith and determination to live sweetly despite life's hardships. I'm so proud of you for spotlighting that type of gift, and the choices we have to carry it on! -Arlene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Arlene. Living sweetly despite life's hardships is a major challenge, but when we keep our eyes fixed on God, He helps us get through anything.

      Delete
  14. Love that you honored your grandparents with your work. My grandparents guided me to God, and I owe them so much. My grandfather passed away a couple of years ago, but my grandmother is still with us, and she's as sharp as ever. I give her all of my Christian fiction books because she LOVES to read! As for your question, faith helped me get through my father's death. We were not close and had not spoken for over 20 years, but still -- he was my dad. God gave me closure and peace about it, as well as a husband who went above and beyond in helping me to get through it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dianna. I'm so glad your faith helped bring you peace and closure over your father's death. I know how difficult it can be.

      Delete
  15. I look forward to catching up with the series.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like a great series for us readers.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your line "hope in the heartache." That sums up what my husband and I learned during our 6 1/2 year infertility battle. We now have a four-year-old and two-year-old and a much stronger marriage. And a much, much stronger faith. I know when you go through something like that, you can let it take you away from God or draw you closer. I'd much rather be closer.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Lisa, it is nice to become acquainted with you. Your new books sounds wonderful. For 30 years my husband and I farmed, milked cows, and bottle fed those baby calves and we often let our daughter play in the crick. When I began working at the library it was very hard to say creek but I learned to because even though we were in a rural area, the town people thought that my mention of a crick was referring to my neck!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm really late to this party, but I loved what you shared here, Lisa. And I can't WAIT to read this book!

    For me, God really strengthened my faith during the years my husband and I walked through infertility. Such a painful season in our lives. But God . . . showed up. Comforted us. Purified our faith. And eventually gave us the desires of our hearts in the form of two baby boys, now teens. He's shown His faithfulness and built my faith in other ways too. I'm thankful He is always with us.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lisa, thanks for sharing the journey of faith! How often we need to be reminded that God is with us, leading the way, and providing all of our needs. Easier to tell others that sometimes than ourselves when we're in the thick of the storm.

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."