Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Our Hometown Hopes


by Laurel Blount

Mindy here, and I am so pleased to have my friend and fellow Love Inspired author, Laurel Blount with us today. I am such a fan her books, so I hope you all will give her a warm Seekerville welcome.

My own hometown! Photo by King Davis
I’m what my grandma used to call a “homebody.” I still live ten minutes away from the hospital where I was born. In this age of convenient travel, that’s a little unusual--in the past, not so much. I’ve read that not too long ago most folks rarely traveled farther than thirty miles from their birthplace. And I’ve heard the Amish don’t embrace cars because they don’t want their communities becoming too mobile. They feel easy mobility tears the fabric of family and friendships.

Okay, so most of us aren’t too eager to surrender our car keys, but I do sense a growing hunger for old-fashioned hometowns. A common remark I hear about my Pine Valley, Georgia books for Love Inspired is “I wish I could move to that place!” I’ve heard readers say similar things about the towns in other series--such as Mindy Obenhaus’s books set in Ouray, Colorado. And recently the Love Inspired editors reminded their authors that they’d like to see even more small-town settings.


I’m wrapping up final edits for my last book to be set in Pine Valley, Georgia--so I’ll be looking for a new “hometown” for future stories. With that in mind, I’ve done some informal polls to discover what hometown really means to my readers. The folks I talked to came from all sorts of places, but I discovered some interesting common factors that I’ll be keeping in mind as I craft my next series.

A hometown feels like family. I heard over and over that home is wherever family is. Maybe that’s why Love Inspired is encouraging authors to connect series books through family relationships rather than only geographical settings. Sure, they can drive us a little batty sometimes, but strong family ties make us feel at home!

A hometown feels familiar. People spoke fondly of long-standing traditions in their hometowns, of special landmarks and beauty spots, and of historical events that had occurred nearby. Memories are wound about these beloved places, giving them a unique sparkle for the folks who call them home. Every person was convinced that their own hometown was the very best place to live! 
A hometown feels friendly. Readers praised towns that rally together to help each other during difficult times. They talked not only about personal friendships, but also about a wider sense of fellowship with their neighbors.  These relationships transform a town from a place you live to a place you belong. That sense of shared community is something people really yearn for!

Thanks to amazing technology, our mobile world seems--in some ways--more connected than ever. But people still long for those old-fashioned, hometown connections --and they’d enjoy spending a few hours visiting characters in a place that feels comfortable to them. Now that I know the kind of place they’re looking for, it’ll be that much easier to use my story settings to welcome them home! 

My third Love Inspired HOMETOWN HOPE releases today! My book baby and I share a birthday--how sweet is that?! And what’s a birthday without a gift? Today I’m giving away a copy of HOMETOWN HOPE. To be entered in a random drawing, just leave a comment!


He’ll do anything for his daughter…
Even fight to regain an old classmate’s broken trust.

In the three years since her mother’s death, widower Hoyt Bradley’s daughter, Jess, hasn’t spoken—until she suddenly begs him to save her favorite bookstore from closing. Hoyt is desperate to hear his daughter’s voice again, but he and the bookstore’s pretty owner, Anna Delaney, share a less-than-friendly past. Working together is complicated enough…but can they avoid falling in love?


Laurel Blount lives on a small farm in middle Georgia with her husband, their four children, and an assortment of very spoiled animals. She divides her time between farm chores, homeschooling, and writing. She's busy, but at least she's never bored! Whenever she's not working, you can find Laurel with a cup of tea at her elbow, a cat in her lap, and a good book in her hand. Stay in touch by signing up for her monthly newsletter at www.laurelblountbooks.com


59 comments:

  1. Laurel, hey! I love writing small towns, too, because I love the feeling they bring to people... a feeling of hope and normalcy in a world run amok.

    So nice to have you here today and congrats on the new book! Hooray for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Ruthy! Hope and normalcy in a world run amok. Well said! And thanks--I'm excited!

      Delete
  2. Good morning, Laurel. Welcome to Seekerville! Thanks so much for being here today.

    I absolutely love reading about small towns in books for all the reasons you stated, but I have to admit, my own experience of a small town wasn't quite so lovely. My parents had bought a lake house in Pennsylvania, and the nearest town was postcard perfect, but we were the "summer people" so we weren't really part of the town. It wasn't anything overtly unpleasant, just that weird feeling of being a part of something but not really a part of it. But as I mentioned to Jan yesterday, I may be a "city girl" by birth, but not by nature. I'll happily join you in Pine Valley, Georgia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary Cate, I'm sorry you had that weird feeling, but I get it. Those folks obviously didn't realize that summer people were good for their economy.

      Delete
    2. A sense of belonging is a big part of that "hometown feel" for sure, Cate! Those folks didn't know what they were missing out on by not getting to know you!

      Delete
  3. Good morning, Seekerville! And welcome, Laurel! I love the charm and quirkiness of small towns. I think you nailed the feel of them perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love sweet charm and delightful quirkiness too--in equal measures! And you're one of my very favorite folks! Coincidence? I think not.
      Thanks for the warm welcome! I love Seekerville!!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations, Laurel! The book looks wonderful! I grew up as a military brat, so I don't have a childhood hometown. I think people do feel a need for home and connection and that's why places like Cedar Cove or Hope Valley or Mitford resonate with so many of us. We want close-knit communities, but I think we often don't know how to create them in real life, so sometimes book worlds have to do. Thanks for sharing today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Glynis! I agree with you about why people feel drawn to that hometown feel in our books--that human longing for deep connections is so powerful! I love Seekerville, and I'm honored to be visiting here!

      Delete
    2. Glynis, you really hit home with that! We are so harried these days, and often disconnected from each other. The home town closeness and comradre just feels good and sparks hope and joy! Laurel, you really accomplished that feeling!

      Delete
  5. Good morning and Happy Birthday Laurel!!
    I am finding myself falling in love with Pine Valley. I have only read one so far: A Baby For The Minister and it was wonderful. I think my favorite character was Rufus. I have a Rufus in my life, an escape artist goat named Elvis. Elvis is constantly leaving his pen. I can't wait to find your first story then read your new one. It will be exciting to discover your next small town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa!! This is so fun--sharing a birthday with my book! I loved writing about Rufus--and Elvis is such a PERFECT goat name. I am stealing that for our next billy!! Thanks for your kind words and wishes today!!

      Delete
    2. Lisa, I love those quirky secondary characters Laurel uses that practically steal the show sometimes. Rufus was a hoot!

      Delete
  6. What I love about a hometown story is that they tend to feel like "My hometown" if you know what I mean. Doesn't every little community have a water tower, the local cafe, school football games are social events and you can count on your neighbors to mow your lawn and feed the dog if you have to be gone? Thanks for a great post Laurel and thanks for making Pine Valley feel like home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy, that sure sounds like a hometown to me--so I think you're right!! Thank you!

      Delete
  7. Hi Laurel,
    I'm from Newnan GA, moved away when I first got married but moved back about 14 years ago and don't plan on leaving. Newnan was a small town when I grew up here, but it has grown so much, it can't be called small anymore. But it stil has some "small town" feelings. I love Pine Mountain, have stopped there many times on the way to or from Callaway Gardens. So I'll look forward to reading your books!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Newnan, Edwina! Such a beautiful place--so many lovely historical homes there! And yes, Callaway Gardens is a favorite place of mine as well. So good to hear from another Georgia girl!

      Delete
  8. Hi Laurel I am so excited about your books and anxious to reading them. I am a native GA small town lady, too. I am also an avid reader!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jackie! Yay--another Georgian! So good to meet you here--and I hope you enjoy the stories!

      Delete
  9. Love your vision of hometown! I see it the same way. No wonder so many people, even those who never had a hometown, like reading about one. The feeling of community, of belonging, of shared history, is comforting and gives meaning to our lives. I grew up in small town, then, like a prodigal son, spent years studying and working in big cities where nobody knows anybody and strangers give each other a blank stare, and finally I moved to a place I can call home again. I may never completely fit in, I may always stand out with my foreign accent, but I feel at home here, this is my hometown. And it feels so much like Pine Valley in Laurel's books! Love the Pine Valley series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I happen to know Alla myself--have had the privilege of meeting her in real life, and I can tell you, sweet lady--you would fit in anyplace! Your hometown is blessed to have you in it!!

      Delete
  10. Happy Birthday, Laurel. This was an interesting post. The small towns in book series always make me wish I lived there. Your book looks very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, you will love Laurel's books.

      Delete
    2. Hi, Sandy!! I am the same way!! I always want to visit places I read about! And thank you, Mindy! I love yours, too!!

      Delete
  11. Happy Birthday, Laurel! And welcome to Seekerville!

    One thing I love about Love Inspired books is that hometown feeling. I always think of the Andy Griffith show as the epitome of the small town/hometown atmosphere. Small towns are like family - you don't get to choose your neighbors, and you know you had better get along because neither of you are moving away!

    Now I'm looking forward to reading the whole Pine Valley series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, Jan, exactly!! Better get along with your small town neighbors because folks do tend to stay put!! I hope you enjoy the stories!!

      Delete
  12. I didn't grow up in a small town but enjoy listening to the stories of people who did. So different from a University town experience! Thanks for sharing with us today. Lee-Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, university towns. I grew up near one of those, Lee-Ann. We made it a point never to go there on a Saturday during football season.

      Delete
    2. I have never lived close to a university, Lee Ann, but I imagine it would have some challenges!

      Delete
  13. Hi Laurel:

    Pine Valley!

    My mother never missed, "All My Children," and I bet I knew more about Pine Valley than I did about my own hometown! But back then the nearest town of any size, (and very small at that), was about 10 miles away. Not all people who like small town stories live in big cities or small towns!

    I read, Winesburg, Ohio, in high schooll and didn't develop any fondness for small towns.

    It was when, Love Inspired/Steeple Hill, got started that I really began to love small town stories. The covers of some of those early LI's looked just like downtown Bentonville, Arkansas. Visiting Bentonville was like walking around inside a novel. I'm still waiting for the Bluegrass bands to play in the different corners of the town square…all welcome to join in the bands. The gazebo featured the best players. This was on Saturday nights.

    Think of Blue Grass when you think of small southern towns!

    Vince

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vince, I love bluegrass music. I think it's in my Kentucky mountain DNA. :)

      Delete
    2. Vince, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought of All My Children. ;)

      Delete
    3. Lol, never watched All My Children! But bluegrass? I LOVE bluegrass!! Definitely the theme music for small southern towns!

      Delete
  14. Laurel, welcome! I love small towns and love to write about them! Your story sounds so good. I love reunion stories, especially when hurting kids find a chance at hope and happiness. I look forward to reading your new book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Missy! I love reading your stories, too! And I am a big sucker for reunion romances!

      Delete
  15. Also meant to say happy birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Missy!! I am having such fun with this double birthday today! My family finally had to kidnap me for a birthday lunch!

      Delete
  16. Congrats on all your success, especially with the Pine Valley series! And I hope you have a very happy birthday! Thanks for spending it with us at Seekerville!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Erica!! I am thrilled to be here!! I love Seekerville—and this feels like being asked to give a talk at Harvard!

      Delete
  17. The birthday cake, in all of its floral, buttercream glory, is sliced up and ready to go, y'all. Happy birthday, Laurel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!! I want a big piece, please! With a flower!

      Delete
  18. Congratulations and happy birthday! I grew up on tiny little southern towns. Then I married a boy who grew up in Atlanta. Needless to say, I have had to adjust since he keeps moving us to suburbs of big cities. But even in the suburbs, you can still find some of that small town feel. You just don't have to drive as far to find a Walmart. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent point, Amy!! We can find that small town feel in many not-so-small places! It’s a state of mind, really! Or maybe a state of heart!

      Delete
  19. Happy Book Birthday. Congratulations 🎈

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great post, Laurel! Happy birthday to you and your wonderful book. I'm looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hope your day was special and the year ahead full of wonderful experiences. Congrats on your new book baby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Anne! Your wish for me is just what I hope for--the older I get the more I value experiences rather than stuff! Thanks!

      Delete
  22. Happy belated birthday!Nothing better than our hometowns! I look forward to reading your book.
    Connie
    cps1950(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you, Connie! I agree--hometowns are incredibly special places! I hope you enjoy the story!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congrats on your latest book Laurel, sounds wonderful and I definitely want to read it! Happy birthday to you and your book :) Great hometown picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tracey! It was crazy fun sharing a birthday with my book! So glad you’re planning to read it! King Davis is a gifted local photographer who generously allowed me to share his beautiful picture. I felt like it showed off my hometown perfectly!

      Delete
  25. Sounds like a great book and Happy Belated Birthday!

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."