Monday, June 17, 2019

Writing Amish Fiction 101

by Jan Drexler

Many people ask me why I write Amish fiction. The simple answer? It’s because it gives me a chance to explore my family stories. Ancestors on both sides of my family were Amish, Mennonite, or German Baptist Brethren. A large part of my family is still Brethren, and I have distant relatives in both the Amish and Mennonite communities in Indiana, Ohio, and Pennsylvania.

 


What is it about the Amish that makes them so fascinating? (Keep reading – I share my own opinion below!)

Whatever draws readers to Amish fiction, it works. The Amish market is strong, and Amish fiction fans are as loyal as they get – holding their own with Cozy Mystery fans. 



Amish fiction has been around for a long time. The genre as we know it started with the publication of Beverly Lewis’ first book, The Shunning, in 1997, but the first Amish fiction book was Roseanna of the Amish by Joseph Yoder, published in 1940. 

If you’re wondering if the Amish fiction “bubble” is about to burst…well, I think the answer is “not quite yet.” Love Inspired is publishing twelve new Amish titles in the next six months, and independently published Amish stories are exploding.

But while traditional favorite authors like Beverly Lewis continue to sell well, what about newer authors? How do YOU break into the Amish fiction field? 



1) Write a good story and tell it well. This is the first rule in every genre. There is no difference whether your heroine wears a bonnet or a saddle blanket – A good story written well is what every reader (and publisher) is looking for.

2) Know your genre. Read as many Amish fiction books as you can get your hands on by the stand-by authors with good reputations. I mentioned Beverly Lewis above, but others are good, too. Suzanne Woods Fischer, Wanda Brunsetter, Amy Clipston…the list goes on, and includes our own Debby Giusti! Speaking of Debby, don’t forget to read the sub-genres: suspense, cozy mysteries, and historical. (Oh yes, I’d love for you to read my books, too!)

3) Know your subject. There is nothing more frustrating for me than to read an Amish fiction story that uses the “Amish” name as window dressing! Many authors think they can stick a bonnet on their romance heroine and the book will sell. 



This last point is the most important one, I think. There are a lot of myths going around about the Amish people – and most of them are spread by authors who don’t do their homework.

Why is this important? Because publishers are looking for authors who can write authentic stories. Authors who have done their research and can weave the Amish lifestyle and beliefs into their books. They will satisfy the most demanding readers, and we all love to please our readers!

How do you learn about this vast subject?

First, if you can, visit an Amish community. Believe it or not, there are Amish communities in almost every state. The Big Three (in order of size) are Holmes County, Ohio; Lancaster County, Pennsylvania; and Elkhart/Lagrange Counties in northern Indiana. The website AmishAmerica.com has a listing of Amish communities by state.

Second, do your homework. Understand that the Amish culture is more about their beliefs and faith than anything else. Learn about Amish doctrine, the Anabaptists, and a bit about Amish history. There are many myths surrounding the Amish, such as “Amish aren’t Christians,” or “Amish people are always good and kind, the perfect Christian ideal.” Actually, like everyone else, the Amish fall somewhere between these two extremes.

Here is a list of some of my favorite books for research:

The Amish Way: Patient Faith in a Perilous World

Amish in Their Own Words

A History of the Amish 

(click on the book titles above for the links to their Amazon listings)



As you do your research, I hope you will begin to understand why readers are drawn to this interesting and unique group of people.

I promised I would tell you why I think Amish stories continue to be popular, and here it is:
The Amish, historically and in general, see the world in a dualistic manner rather than the pluralistic view that our culture holds. Any issue is black and white with no gray areas. Something is either right or wrong. We may think this is a simplistic way of looking at the world…but that’s the draw. It’s what gives the Amish their simplicity, their peace, and their ability to treat the rest of the world with grace.


Now it’s your turn. Have you ever thought about writing an Amish story? Or maybe you’ve thought about writing a story from your own family’s past! Tell us about it!

One commenter will receive a copy of the first book in my "Amish of Weaver's Creek" series, The Sound of Distant Thunder.

Or you can order your own copy
HERE!
Katie Stuckey and Jonas Weaver are both romantics. Seventeen-year-old Katie is starry-eyed, in love with the idea of being in love, and does not want to wait to marry Jonas until she is eighteen, despite her parents' insistence. So much can happen in a year. Twenty-year-old Jonas is taken in by the romance of soldiering, especially in defense of anti-slavery, even though he knows war is at odds with the teachings of the church. When his married brother's name comes up in the draft list, he volunteers to take his brother's place. But can the commitment Katie and Jonas have made to each other survive the separation?

And book two in this series is available for pre-order!

Preorder HERE!

Ruby Weaver's curly red hair isn't the only thing that sets her apart from her Amish community in 1863. Twenty-eight and single, Ruby doesn't believe a woman needs to be married in order to be happy. Her ailing friend Lovinia Fischer, however, has other ideas and wants Ruby to promise to marry her husband after she dies. Never imagining she'd have to fulfill that vow, Ruby agrees. And she's not the only one. Lovinia has extracted a similar promise from her husband, Gideon.

With both Ruby and Gideon reluctant to keep their promises, a compromise must be reached. Ruby will spend her days with Gideon's family--helping to raise the children and keep the house--but her nights will be spent at her sister's neighboring house. But this arrangement raises eyebrows in their conservative Amish community, and it soon becomes clear that Ruby must make a decision--marry Gideon or turn her back on her friend, the children she's grown to love . . . and their father.





Jan Drexler brings a unique understanding of Amish traditions and beliefs to her writing. Her ancestors were among the first Amish, Mennonite, and Brethren immigrants to Pennsylvania in the 1700s, and their experiences are the inspiration for her stories. Jan lives in the Black Hills of South Dakota with her husband of more than thirty-five years, where she enjoys hiking in the Hills and spending time with their expanding family.

36 comments:

  1. Well the spammers were out in full force overnight... but I have swept their nonsense away and I BROUGHT COFFEE!!!!

    Jan... my first trip to Amish country in Lancaster PA was a couple of weeks ago when we drove down to get Miss Maggie Mae, our new puppy... It was a gorgeous Sunday there and buggies were EVERYWHERE.... And that made me double check a few things, like the bi-weekly church gatherings at farms and the buggy rides and visitings.... so in a big Amish community like that, are they all one order? Or split orders?

    And were the mid-afternoon gatherings church meetings/services or were we seeing the bi-weekly Sunday visiting? Or a combination, maybe?

    And the young ladies wore bright colored dresses... magenta and blue and green under white aprons and white capps and the girls were looking at the boys... and the boys were returning the favor. :)

    So some things cross all lines!

    It was stunningly beautiful. From the hilltop, the spread of beautifully run farms and the animals lolling in the fields was an absolutely gorgeous vision. I was in love.

    But I was also surprised that turning, twisting roads (no safe passing) filled with buggies had a speed limit of 40 or 45 mph... when it should have been 30 mph just for safety sake and knowing your populace.

    I can't imagine taking a car at that speed up or down some of those roads with horses and buggies everywhere... and walkers and bikers. That made no sense to me....

    Awaiting your wisdom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lancaster County is a beautiful place! I'm so glad you got to visit it! I've only been able to visit a couple times!

      You were probably seeing a combination of church Sunday traveling to and fro and non-Church Sunday visiting with all the buggies. A church district (or g'may) is made up of a limited number of families to keep the close-knit community small - maybe 25 to 40 families living in an area of one or two square miles. So in an area the size of Lancaster County, you can have many districts.

      Each district (or church congregation, as many of us would call them) has its own bishop, ministers, and deacons. Some districts are more liberal than others, but all follow a similar set of rules (the Ordnung,) which each district determines for themselves.

      And since each district determines their own practices, they will quite often have their church Sundays on opposite weeks from neighboring districts. Sometimes this is done on purpose so that members can visit other districts and attend church there on their own non-church Sundays.

      And I agree with you on the speed limits! In Indiana, the roads are mostly straight and wide, with extra wide shoulders on the main roads for the buggies. Still, we slow down whenever we pass a buggy. Driving in Amish country is not for folks in a hurry. :-)

      Delete
  2. Jan, I'm really looking forward to reading this carefully later. Have to dash off to work now - last full week with the students!

    But you reminded me of a conversation I had with my editor a few years back. We were having lunch at the RWA conference and discussing why Amish fiction was so popular. Within a few days, I had a really good understanding. I'm a native New Yorker, but after spending 4 days in the heart of Times Square, I understood very well that yearning for a simpler life!

    Happy Monday. I'll check in this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a good day at work, Cate!

      And I know what you mean about yearning for that simpler life! I feel that same culture shock when we travel from our sparsely populated South Dakota to Michigan and Indiana to visit family. An hour of driving in Chicago traffic is enough to make me long for the wide open spaces and slower pace of home! But while visiting, we always take a drive through Indiana's Amish Country and I can breathe in some fresh air.

      Delete
  3. Jan, this is a good post and checks a lot of the boxes as we say. I enjoy a well-done Amish tale because it shows that these are real people under all the black-and-white. Your heroes/heroines have different needs and wants than Debby's, and hers have different needs and wants from Beverly's or Wanda's. Under the capes and bonnets and beards, they are all flesh-and-blood people who want to be loved and serve God.
    I enjoy the genre but have to ration myself to one or two at a time, then read something else, then one or two more. I'm like a chameleon and if I read too many books in one genre I end up talking like them. You don't want to hear me after a couple of books of Southern fiction...
    It is of course also a good genre because our readers are looking for "clean hands and a pure heart," and the strictures of Amish life make that a given for most characters. Your teen or tween could pick up an Amish romance and you wouldn't have to worry.
    It's also interesting to see them bump up against various times in our culture, like the Depression or the Civil War. Before the tourists discovered them.
    BTW, just finished your "A Convenient Amish Proposal," nice job. I identified with the mother-in-law.
    Back later, have to pay the piper for what I DIDN'T do this weekend.
    Kathy Bailey
    "A Home For the Heart"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're exactly right about well-written Amish stories. The Amish people are just like everyone else - all individuals with dreams, goals, and a need for Jesus.

      And I had to laugh about your need to switch genres, because I'm the same way! It's one reason why I don't read Amish fiction while I'm working on a story. I don't want my book to sound like someone else's!

      Thank you for your kind words about Convenient Amish Proposal. I really enjoyed writing Bethany and Andrew's story, and the mother-in-law, Rose, was a lot of fun. Her character developed in ways I never planned when I started writing!

      Delete
  4. Amish books continue to be popular for a lot of reasons and I think you've captured exactly why. Great post. Love the cover on the new book, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Glynis!

      And yes, I love that new cover. I love both covers in this series so far, and I'm already anxious to see what Revell's art department does with the third book!

      Delete
  5. Years ago I thought the Amish theme was just a fad. Silly me. It's more popular than ever. Authors like you, Jan, that take time to research and get it right are a big part of that. Sure do enjoy your books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cindy!

      You know, I thought Amish books were just a fad, too. I remember hurrying to finish my first book (eight years ago,) hoping I wouldn't miss my opportunity to get it published. I think their continued popularity has taken everyone by surprise!

      Delete
  6. Dear Jan,
    We have Amish books in our Church Library both Fiction and Non-Fiction.
    If you were to do a keyword search, Amish, you would see that we have 450 books that are Amish.
    Our church library is 75 years young and we have books for all ages. I volunteer in the library and have for 40 years.
    We have the Beverly Lewis book, "The Shunning" and also "Roseanna of the Amish" by Joseph Yoder. We also have several of the books you mentioned that you can find on Amazon.
    Our readers love the Amish books we have. One of our newest readers came into the library and wanted to know where our Amish books were. She couldn't believe how many we have. She was estatic to say the least.
    Thank you for entering me in your giveaway.
    Janet Estridge.
    von1janet(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Janet!

      I have been a church librarian off and on for years, too. We have moved often enough that my library worked has changed with each new church.

      I'm so glad to hear that you carry both fiction and non-fiction books among your Amish titles. I've found that readers are always hungry to learn more!

      It sounds like I would be ecstatic to visit your library, too. :-)

      Delete
  7. Good post, Jan. I am not a huge Amish fiction reader. I do enjoy your Amish historical fiction and this series looks good. I have really enjoyed Debby's Amish suspense series. Some of the other Amish fiction all begins to sound the same to me. I know I could never write one, which is too bad since they are so popular and editors are looking for them. I agree that people are probably drawn to the simplicity of their lifestyle in such a hectic world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you enjoy good fiction rather than being a die-hard Amish fiction fan, Sandy! That's the way am. I enjoy a well-written book, whether it's Amish or not.

      And I always keep in mind that just because Amish fiction is popular now, doesn't mean they will be five years from now. The key (always) is to write a good story and write it well.

      Delete
    2. Sandy, I couldn't either. Not My Gift. I'd get something wrong, or they'd come out too cartoonish. Like Marisa Tomei trying to do Edith Bunker on that live "All In the Family." Jean Stapleton WAS Edith Bunker. Marisa Tomei DID Edith Bunker. Huge difference.

      Delete
    3. Kathy, I was going to watch that live All in the Family but missed it. Maybe it was just as well. I really can't picture Marisa Tomei as Edith!

      Delete
    4. Sandy, thanks for mentioning my Amish stories. I know they're not everyone's cup of tea. :)

      Delete
  8. Thanks Jan. Admittedly your books are the only other Amish books I've read next to Beverly Lewis. I tried one of the other authors you mentioned but just couldn't get into the story. Have you read Homespun Amish and Mennonite Women in Their Own Words? It's quite enlightening and I think would be a resource book I would use if ever I try to write an Amish story. Lee-Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read that book, Lee Ann. I'll have to look it up. Thanks for the recommendation!

      Your experience with "one of the other authors" just reminds me that not every reader is every author's audience! There are Amish authors I just can't get into, either!

      Delete
  9. Hi Jan:

    I've liked every Amish book that I've read. I like one every few months and not one right after another.

    I think a great appeal of Amish books is being vicariously on the inside as an outsider. It's like being a fish out of water and seeing our watery world in ways we may never had considered before. Often such a veiw opens many doors to new ways of doing things better. Indeed, historically outsiders have written many great books because their insights fascinated and educated many of the insiders.

    This is also true of Tony Hillerman who created an insiders look at the Navajo tribe. Their's is also a very simple life with strong values. Tony made this a subgenre. BTW: Tony was an outsider too who had to do his research. Tony was an Oklahoma indian who was worried if the Navajo would accept him and his stories. They loved him!

    I think the key to success here is writing the good story in a way which provides many surpise insights into both our world view and the Amish life. As a reader I enjoy 'ah ha' insights which I would not get from standard fiction. Without these insights Amish stories would be little different than Amarillo Americans.

    Now a request: What I would like to read is an Amish romance that opens in the old country and moves across the seas to America. I'd like to see what Amish were like in their homeland. Why did they move? How were they first accepted in the US.

    I also believe Amish stories will last as long as Regency romances have. Just write good ones and make them the same, only joyfully different.

    Vince

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Vince!

      There actually is a book that starts in the old country - Suzanne Woods Fisher's Anna's Crossing is the first of her Amish Beginnings series, and the book begins in Europe, with most of the story taking place on the ship during the crossing of the Atlantic.

      That book might not meet your request completely, though. The lives of the Anabaptists in Switzerland during the late 1500's and early 1600's is fascinating to me, and I've done quite a bit of research. I've even visited Sumiswald, Switzerland - my ancestral home village and the heart of the Anabaptist persecution during that time. Someday I'll write stories that are in that setting...someday!

      Delete
    2. BTW - "Anabaptist" in Switzerland refers to both the Mennonites and the Amish!

      Delete
    3. Hi Jan:

      Surprise! I went to order "Anna's Crossing" and Amazon told me I already have it in my TBR files! I'll start reading it today. Thanks.

      BTW: I think I may have visited Sumiswald as I've been all over Swaziland during my three years in Europe. Every place is beautiful over there. There are some great places with to die for views to write a book.

      Delete
  10. Jan, I just read your blurbs. Both of these stories sound so good!!

    I haven't tried to write any Amish stories but did at one time consider trying it. It would require a lot of research I just haven't had time for lately. But I might try it one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Missy!

      For me, the research wasn't as tough as it is for some authors. I grew up knowing about and visiting the northern Indiana Amish community and lived in that area for seven years. Since I was so familiar with them, and since I was raised in a very similar church, the doctrine and practices are part of my DNA. It really was a case of "write what you know." :-)

      Delete
  11. Thank you for your insight. I do appreciate it. I have written an Amish story that was rejected but have been asked to submit again. Working on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations for writing your story and submitting it! That's a huge step!

      Keep working on it and keep learning about the writing craft. We'll be cheering your on!

      Delete
  12. Enjoyed reading your insight. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely post, Jan!

    Blogger ate my initial comment. :(

    You're right about the black and white...which is something I find refreshing! Also I believe their strong faith and family ties are a big draw. Most of them are good people, trying to live good lives. That's what I want as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoyed your post, Jan. I've not ready too many Amish novels, but after reading your post, I think I'll add a few to my list of books to read!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never thought of writing an Amish story but I do think about writing a story that would help my granddaughter understand her family better. More of a journal than a book!
    Thanks for sharing your giveaway with us!
    Connie
    cps1950(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."