Monday, June 10, 2019

Seekerville Welcomes a New Regular Blogger!

Missy Tippens

If you saw the Weekend Edition, then you've been looking forward to the reveal of an addition to Seekerville. I'm pleased to let you know that author Cate Nolan will be joining us! Cate has been a regular blogger at the Yankee-Belle Cafe (a spin off from the Seekerville Village) for several years, so we know she'll fit right in. Welcome, Cate!

In her honor, I'm re-sharing one of her inspiring guest posts from the Archives from October 12, 2015...




Writers Write


by Cate Nolan. 

I remember seeing a craft book with that title and thinking how simple it sounded.

Some days writing is simple. Some days it’s even glorious. But some days it’s just plain hard work.


In preparing this post, I’ve been reflecting upon the seasons of this writing life.

We have those hopeful spring days when every seed of an idea is a beautiful story waiting to be nurtured.

Spring gives way to writing’s summer - long carefree days of playing with characters, splashing around in plot puddles, maybe chasing the fireflies of our dreams.

Glorious autumn yields a writer’s heart grateful for God’s bountiful harvest of words. We approach our writing each day refreshed, renewed, and with joyful anticipation.

But what about the bleak winter of a writer’s soul?

What about those days when you can’t string two words together without cringing? When your mind feels like that image of the writer’s trash bin full of crumpled paper.

How do we find motivation to keep pounding the keyboard when that bright and shiny beloved idea has become a problem child who refuses to cooperate? Those days you are absolutely convinced this creature will never come close to your hopeful imaginings? 

We can overcome.

I think, that as writers of inspirational fiction, we have a secret weapon to keep us going through those dark days. We have the knowledge that we are serving our God with our work.

It’s not always easy to keep that purpose in mind. I’m hoping, with this post today, to begin a conversation that will inspire us to remember the importance of our work - especially during those times when doubt prevails.

For a long time I hesitated to write inspirational fiction because I lacked the confidence to tackle something so important. Who was I to preach through my writing? The task was too daunting. Eventually, though, through prayer and conversations with other writers, I came to understand that the answer was simply that as a child of God it is my calling and my responsibility to share his love.

When I was writing Christmas in Hiding for the Killer Voices contest, I was teaching full time, tutoring after school, and trying to keep a husband and dog fed and happy.
I was also up against a hard deadline that at times seemed impossible to meet. I was ready to toss in the towel more often than I care to remember.

But just when I needed it most, I heard a song that put it all in perspective for me. The TV show Nashville has a lot of great music, but one song in particular spoke to me - specifically these lyrics from the song It Ain’t Yours to Throw Away.

“What if you’re just a vessel, and God gave you something special? It ain’t yours to throw away.
 
The lyrics literally jumped out at me. Whenever I even considered quitting, I’d put that song on and keep writing. What if God had given me something special to say? What if by quitting, I was saying no to Him?

I’ll tell you, that thought was a powerful motivator!

More recently, I came across a quote by Sarah Young in Jesus Calling Morning and Evening Devotional.




She says: “There are no limits to what My great Power and Glory can accomplish!”

Think about that. There are no limits to what God can do through our writing - except those we impose upon ourselves.

Several weeks ago, I heard a reading from the Book of Numbers (11:25-29) The people were trying to get Moses to stop Eldad and Medad from prophesying. Moses responded, “Would that all the Lord’s people were prophets, and that the Lord would put his spirit on them!”


So every time you think you can’t do it, every time you’re tired of rejection or bad reviews, remember that secret weapon. Remember that we write in service of an awesome God.

There was another song I had on repeat while I wrote Christmas in Hiding. I thought it was rather appropriate since it was the version from The Voice. Holly Tucker singing How Great Thou Art never failed to move me and I wrote the song into my story, giving it to my heroine, Callie to sing at the lowest point in her life.

The day before I got the call from Emily Rodmell, I was walking home from church when suddenly the church bells began to peal a song I’d never heard them play before. Yes, How Great Thou Art. I still get emotional remembering that moment. It felt very much like a sign of approval. I try to remember that feeling too when the demons of doubt assail me.

Last week Mary Connealy wrote about the cord of three strands and said, 


“I think Christian fiction can be so much more powerful than secular fiction. And it’s that third strand—Faith—that strengthens it… The underpinning of faith gives the entire Christian book a depth…And it makes for stories that are not easily broken.”

I’d like to add to that and say we write stories of faith and that makes us writers who are not easily broken. We have God on our side because we are telling faith-inspired stories. Through our writing, we are being his disciples. If we allow ourselves to be open and let his love and grace work through us, there are absolutely no limits to the stories we can tell and the light we can bring into this world.

  

Missy Again...



Please join me in welcoming Cate! We look forward to hearing from her later this month on her regular blog day.


Cate Nolan lives in New York City, but she escapes to the ocean any chance she gets. A devoted mom and teacher, Cate loves to leave her real life behind and play with the characters in her imagination. She’s got that suspense writer gene that sees danger and a story in everyday occurrences. Cate particularly loves to write stories of faith enabling ordinary people to overcome extraordinary danger. 


Where you can find Cate:
 http://www.catenolanauthor.com/
Facebook
Twitter
http://www.yankeebellecafe.blogspot.com/
http://www.craftieladiesofromance.blogspot.com/







65 comments:

  1. Woo hoo! Congrats, Cate. Great to see you on the Seekerville podium!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tina, congrats to you as well! We're excited about the Holt Award and another nomination for ACFW Mentor of the Year! Both well deserved.

      Delete
    2. Yes, Tina! Such good news last week with both of these honors! Congratulations!

      Delete
    3. Congratulations, Tina. Well deserved honors. And it's nice to see you here. I miss seeing you on a regular basis.

      Delete
    4. Congrats, Tina!!! The HOLT and ACFW Mentor of the Year! Woo-hoo! Fantastic achievements!

      Delete
    5. Thank you, Tina, and thanks for all the times you invited me to guest post.

      Congrats on all your finals and wins!

      Delete
  2. Welcome Cate! This is a good post, and since I don't remember it from before, it's New To Me. It is a good thing to remember Who we write for. The vagaries of a changing business will tempt us to be discouraged, and worse than that, Satan will try to discourage us if we are doing God's work. It's like a tightrope walker. Don't look down. Do not look down.
    As with other aspects of the Christian life, it's good to stay in fellowship. I tend to question my call if I'm not in regular fellowship, in person or online, with other Christian writers. It's like Christianity in general. God did not mean for us to do this alone.
    Back from a mini-vacation and feeling renewed. Boston was gorgeous. We were just off Wollaston Harbor in Quincy and all the trees were in bloom. I walked down to the ocean and back every day, and worked on research, Bible studies and guest blogs.
    Welcome Cate!
    Kathy Bailey
    "A Home For the Heart"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, I'm so glad you had a nice vacation! It sounds wonderful!

      Delete
    2. I love visiting up there, Kathy. My husband was from Boston, so it's a favorite area for us. Sounds like you had a refreshing time. Thanks for the welcome.

      Delete
  3. Great post, Cate and welcome!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome, Cate! This was a great post. I always feel like a book was missing something when I read one without that element of faith. And it makes me wonder if that's how people feel who don't have a relationship with God ... like they're always missing something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, I often wonder how people get through the difficulties in life without faith and the support of friends and family.

      Delete
    2. Amy, I agree about missing faith in secular stories. Often I muse how much more satisfying the story would be if the heroine had turned to the Lord in her need.

      Delete
    3. That's such an interesting point, Amy. I read secular long before there really was much being published (or at least that I knew of) in Christian fiction. It was such a welcome surprise to me to find stories with that part of our lives included. I agree with what Missy said. I can't imagine how people cope without faith.

      Delete
  5. Welcome to Seekerville, Cate! Your presence here just feels "right." :-)

    I remember this blog, and the reminder today is SO WELCOME! It's been a long winter for me (both the weather and in my writing!) but spring is finally here. There's nothing like living the life we're called to live, doing the work we're called to do.

    I'm looking forward to your regular posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, I love what you said! "There's nothing like living the life we're called to live, doing the work we're called to do."

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Jan. The blog was a welcome reminder to me also as the school year winds down and I get to focus full-time on writing. Thanks, Missy for sharing it again.

      Delete
  6. Welcome Cate - enjoyed this post and looking forward to more

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy, I, too, am looking forward to more!

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Cindy. It's always fun to read things you wrote way back when and they seem new again.

      Delete
  7. Welcome, Cate. I'm glad you will be here on a regular basis. I look forward to seeing your future posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, thanks for stopping by to help welcome Cate!

      Delete
    2. Hi Sandy. Thanks so much for the welcome. It's nice to have one more place to hang out with you.

      Delete
  8. I believe Cate was going to be away from her computer today, but I'm sure she'll check in as soon as she's able!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO true, Missy. I thought I would be able to pop in on my phone, but it wasn't allowing me to respond. :(

      Delete
  9. Cate, so thrilled you're a Seeker regular! I think your school is still in session. In my area of GA, the last day for students was May 24th. I know you're eager for summer vaca! Looking forward to seeing you at the RWA National Conference!

    Great post! Love the songs you mentioned as well. I often tell new writers, DON'T LIMIT GOD, which is what you included in your post. We see the world through human eyes. God knows our potential and what can happen if we trust in his abundant mercy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby, it's such a great feeling to know that God knows our potential!

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Debby. Your friendship has been such a blessing to me these past years. I'm thrilled to be joining you here , and I'm looking forward to spending time together in July!

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thank you, Lucy. And thanks for stopping by to say hello.

      Delete
  11. Welcome to the crew, Cate! :) Really looking forward to having you aboard. I love this post from the archives...Writer's Write.

    So I'm going back to writing...actually, in this case judging writing contest entries, but still, part of the writing life! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erica, I hope you have some good ones!

      Delete
    2. So much that is part of the writing life, Erica. And so much that keeps us busy. But it's so great to have a writing community that helps keep us centered and focued in the right direction. I'm sure the contestants are super lucky to have you judging their entries.

      Delete
  12. Welcome Cate! I look forward to reading your posts on a regular basis. :) Thanks Missy for posting this archive...it's always a blessing to be reminded why I want to write and that it's God who equips us and calls us to serve Him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lee-Ann,
      I find it always so humbling to remember Sometimes we just get so caught up in ourselves that we forget who is in charge and who we serve. Blessings to you on our writing.

      Delete
  13. Encouraging post. Thank you for the reminder that with God on our side we can do all things. Look forward to hearing more from you, Cate! :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Samantha, thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much, Samantha. It's something I have to keep reminding myself!

      Delete
  14. Cate! Welcome aboard!!!! It is so nice to have you here and I love hearing your encouraging voice in everything you do. Wonderful! And make sure you have a caramel macchiato at one of the gazillion coffee shops you pass by on your daily treks, darling! Think of me when you do!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum! You gave me a craving, Ruthy! That's my most recent drink of choice at coffee shops. :)

      Delete
    2. The only thing better would be sharing that coffee in person, Ruthy. I miss our visits. I wish you'd come down in July for the Harlequin party. I'm enjoying a simple iced coffee today while I respond to all these lovely welcomes.

      Delete
    3. Aw, wouldn't that be fun? But I will probably stay right here and be a DRUDGE!!!! :) But I shall think of you all as you dance the night away while I water a bazillion chrysanthemums! :)

      Delete
  15. Hi Cate:

    "I was teaching full time, tutoring after school, and trying to keep a husband and dog fed and happy."


    Oh, my, at least the husband came in ahead of the dog in this sequence. I'm almost afraid to ask who got what to eat. I hope it was the dog that got the leftovers. ;)

    "You Will Know Them by Their Fruits."
    Matthew 7:15-20 (NKJV)


    Christian fiction, inspirational fiction, can also be considered as mainstream fiction when the preaching is by actions and not words. Think of "The Old Man and the Sea", "C.S. Lewis's fiction", "The Citadel" and ""Magnificent Obsession".

    When at a loss for words, inspire by your characters actions.

    Now I really have to read "Christmas in Hiding" which sounds like it would make a wonderful holiday Harelquin/Harper-Collins movie.

    Looking forward to your posts and updates on the hubby and puppy.

    Vince

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vince, I love your call to inspired by character actions!

      Delete
    2. Hi Missy:

      Great news about Tina which makes me think that Seekerville might enjoy a "Reunion Weekend" where the Seeker emeritae return to provide updates on their careers! The Yankee Belle Café could provide the cake.

      Delete
    3. I like that idea, Vince! We'll have to talk to them about it.

      Delete
    4. I love the idea of a reunion weekend, Vince.
      I've had a few people (and even some who are not related) tell me that Christmas in Hiding would make a great movie. I hope someone hears that and makes it happen. That would be so much fun.

      Your comments made me think of something. Often in my life, I have heard people quote St. Francis of Assisi - "Preach the Gospel at all times. Use words if necessary."
      I've also read articles that claim he never said that. Whatever may be the truth, the message is a good one. As is this:

      When at a loss for words, inspire by your characters actions.

      Thank you for that and for the welcome!

      Delete
    5. Hi Cate:

      "Preach the Gospel at all times. Use words if necessary."

      I love the above quote but I can't say that I've heard of it before this. Of course, the gift of tongues was to allow the apostles to go out and spread the Good News. What makes it a great quote is the 'if necessary'.

      BTW: When I was a child in New York we always went to Jones' Beach. I remember the beach but not where it was. It seemed to be a long drive. Where do you go to the beach? Have you been to Jones?

      Vince

      Delete
    6. Oh my goodness, Vince. I grew up going to Jones Beach. I lived in Queens Village as a child - near Belmont Racetrack. I was just reminiscing with my sister about how our parents would pack the car the night before and have us sleep in our bathing suits under our pajamas so we could get an early start. When I was in 3rd grade we moved to Long Island so our preferred beach was Robert Moses which was about a 15 minute drive from the house. But we still went to Jones Beach because there was an outdoor theater where huge musicals were staged every summer. Theater under the stars. I saw South Pacific, Carousel, Oklahoma, Brigadoon, Annie, Get Your Gun, etc. Guy Lombardo would arrive in his boat and lead the orchestra. Good times..

      Delete
    7. Vince, I've heard that quote as far back as I can remember. It's always given me words to live by. That and the Serenity Prayer and Ecclesiastes 3...

      If we live as if we are the living, breathing examples of God's love oh gosh, what a marvelous world this would be!

      That's why the hymn "Make My Life an Alleluia" is so perfect for Christians. I love it.

      Delete
  16. Congratulations, Cate! Enjoyed the post today and look forward to reading your regular contributions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Laura. It was a good reminder for me.

      Delete
  17. This post spoke to me in such a powerful way today. It was just what I needed to hear. Thank you! I'm looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cate,
    What an inspiring post - exactly what I needed! Welcome and I look forward to reading your future posts!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Cate! Sorry I am a day late in saying WELCOME! I will look forward to your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Welcome, Cate! Thrilled to have you here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yay, Mary Cate! So glad you're joining us!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello and welcome, Cate!
    I enjoyed reading this post. Here's what stood out to me:
    For a long time I hesitated to write inspirational fiction because I lacked the confidence to tackle something so important. Who was I to preach through my writing? The task was too daunting. Eventually, though, through prayer and conversations with other writers, I came to understand that the answer was simply that as a child of God it is my calling and my responsibility to share his love.

    I wrote a book called Wise Turned Foolish, published it in 2016...in spite of any reservations I had had. The content was very deep and sensitive. I thought readers would hate it because it may step on their toes spiritually. A few people have told me they love how I wrote it, that when they read it, they couldn't put it down. Since then, I haven't hesitated to write a book.
    I have so many works in progress right now.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."