Monday, June 3, 2019

Writer's Retreat...a lesson in being in a crowd of introverts

I went to a writer's retreat two weekends ago (actually a FIVE DAY RETREAT! But two days were mostly for travel. We arrived at 4:00 (or so) on Saturday and left bright and early Wednesday morning.

In that THREE days and one short fourth days. I wrote 18,500 words!!!!
DID YOU READ THAT?


This is Mary the long-time advocate of writing 1000 words a day.

Mary, Mom and My Cowboy
And I've been to writer's retreats before that were nowhere near this productive.

So what happened?

And what can someone else do to have such a perfect, successful writer's retreat.

There were eight of us, though one retreater only stayed one day.




It was organized by the lovely and brilliant Dawn Ford.
She's on the left, Sharee Stover is on the right in this picture.
SHAREE STOVER WHO JUST SIGNED 
A THREE BOOK CONTRACT WITH 
LOVE INSPIRED SUSPENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!

And it was an almost perfect dynamic. Yes, we talked and laughed and ATE. (Have mercy we ate)
But not really by design, everyone showed up to work. Or enough of us did that those of us who would be been willing to talk and eat MORE, were forced to work.
What do you mean
 Erica is working too hard to talk!?

Raising hand.

First, we all split up. I had the living room to myself.
Another lady set up shop at the dining room table. (I'm not sure who all to name here. I'm bragging on everyone but still, the names might be withheld as to specifics...except ERICA was there and I'll tell every single thing she did!)

Erica was almost always in the bedroom we shared.

This house we VRBO'd was REMOTE. I still keep thinking, 'What is that beautiful house doing out there in the middle of nowhere.'
It is BEAUTIFUL. But so far from anywhere.
Which means, there is NO ESCAPE FROM WORK.
Unless you want to go outside in windy 50 degree weather with spitting rain and look at SHEEP.
Yes, that's right. I was there FIVE DAYS and managed one picture of Dawn and Sharee and about ten pictures of SHEEP.
ON MY SINGLE WALK.



Sit back down there and work.

There were FIVE bedrooms and a full basement with a sitting room and kitchen.
The point here is, we could completely be alone. Eight people in one house and no problem at all being in complete silence alone.

In that picture above, I am in a chair that was MOVED when the website posted this picture. I put a Number 1 on it before I realized that was dumb and started labeling them differently but my skilz are such that I couldn't change the ONE.
The hallway with Erica's name on it, leads to a pair of bedrooms. I think there was someone in the other bedroom but I'm not sure. Everyone was so QUIET!

And all of us worked. Long hours of quiet time.
AND IT WAS MISERABLE WEATHER.

We had to stay inside in a very pretty rural setting. Very few walks no matter how good they would have been for us.

(sneaking in a cover of my October release AIMING FOR LOVE. Now available on Amazon.
I've got a cover for book #2, too. It's called WOMAN OF SUNLIGHT. But I am forbidden from sharing it yet. and let me tell you it is taking EVERYTHING IN ME to not post it.)
Josephine Nordegren is one of three sisters who grew up nearly wild in southwestern Colorado. She has the archery skills of Robin Hood and the curiosity of the Little Mermaid, fascinated by but locked away from the forbidden outside world--a world she's been raised to believe killed her parents. When David Warden, a rancher, brings in a herd much too close to the girls' secret home, her older sister especially is frightened, but Jo is too interested to stay away.

David's parents follow soon on his heels, escaping bandits at their ranch. David's father is wounded and needs shelter. Josephine and her sisters have the only cabin on the mountain. Do they risk stepping into the world to help those in need? Or do they remain separated but safe in the peaks of Hope Mountain?


Did I mention I took pictures of sheep?
I also took videos of sheep.
I can't figure out how to load them so use your imagination...that is probably better than my videos anyway.


Also the food was so well organized.
We each volunteered for a meal.
Eight of us.
Ten meals really, starting with an evening meal the first day. Then breakfast, lunch, dinner the next three days. Then breakfast the last day which no one ate because we all headed out.
We all took a meal. Mostly breakfast was light, though were were some eggs! But mostly cereal and bagels, easy stuff.
We talked about dietary restrictions.
We told what our plan was so there was input.
Everyone brought munchies. There was PLENTY.

Everything was in order, provided by the person who'd signed up for that meal...and we had NOTHING TO DO.
Ahem...excuse me. We had nothing to do but WORK.

And we sure enough worked.
The first short day I wrote my usual 1000 words and felt quite proud and righteous.
If only I'd known!

Did I mention there were sheep?
I was told there were also goats and chickens but it was cold. 
I walked until I saw the sheep, then turned back.
I'm not claiming to be Jack London here.

Instead of doing much else I just wrote. And wrote and wrote.
TWICE I got up from my writing (well, okay, maybe FIVE TIMES -- Ten, shut up)
And considered who to drag out of their little cocoon--Erica has been known to be open to such things--and make them talk to me.
But I was  good girl.
I thought, hey, maybe they were working. Maybe they were accomplishing great things.
Maybe I should GET BACK TO WORK MYSELF.
HO HUM

But I did it.
Let me insert that HUGE NUMBER OF WORDS AGAIN.


Elements I'd advise for a great productive writer's retreat.
1. STAY PUT. Don't add outings and fun attractions. Not if you want to produce words.
2. Organize the food, take turns. Hand out responsibility then leave whoever volunteered to handle it.
3. Quiet space. If I'd've been sitting next to someone, less work would have gotten done. Unless someone gagged me and that was always a possibility.

4. And respect for each other's efforts to make a getaway worth the time, money and effort to get there. (This house wasn't overly pricey by the time we split things up.)

If you have any questions I'd be glad to answer them.
Especially if they're about SHEEP.


88 comments:

  1. Hi Mary:

    Just one question: what breed were those sheep?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Vince! Research time for Mary. :)

      Delete
    2. You know everything I know from looking at those pictures.

      Delete
    3. Pretty sure they're Suffolk crosses, Vince. :)

      Delete
    4. Hi Erica: Those do look like New Zealand Suffolk sheep. I should have know someone who loves the All Blacks would also know her sheep! Good show!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great writing retreat! I hope the other authors who attended leave a comment and let us all know how many words they added to their WIP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rose, I was wondering the same thing!

      Delete
    2. I could go tag them on Facebook but I wouldn't want any one else's version of reality to ruin my little retreat tale!

      Delete
  3. LOL, Mary! I'm now picturing you in the room with someone who has to stuff a sock in your mouth to keep you from interrupting them. :)

    This sounds like such a wonderful get away! I'm truly amazed at your word count. I think y'all should schedule this annually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am amazed, too. The word count was insane. And if someone HAD stuffed a sock in my mouth I would no doubt have just kept tying with the sock in there.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a wonderful time & so productive!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Beth! Yes, it really was a wonderful time.
      We talked PLENTY, but mostly during meals and in the evening. Which left plenty of time for writing

      Delete
  5. It sounds wonderful! As long as you had wifi?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did have wifi, Cindy. We had everything. Such a beautiful house! Wow, and lovely people owned it who came over ONCE when we had something we couldn't handle. And were so nice.

      Delete
  6. Mary, what a great idea. 18,000 words -- that's a third of a book! Or a couple of novellas. I'm easily distracted and find I can be way more productive in a controlled/closed situation. My husband is going to a conference in Boston on Thursday and Friday and I'm tagging along. While he's in session and I plan to bring some work, hole up and, well, do it. I'm between projects now, so I'll be doing research and working on guest blogs for the September debut. I love retreats, all kinds, shapes, and sizes. Also conferences. It's so beneficial to get away, whether it's a full-blown retreat or a couple of hours in a coffee shop.
    Signed contract for second book in "Western Dreams." Researching third.
    Off to Bible study, may be back later.
    PS, and didn't Jesus tell us, "Come ye apart and rest for a while"?
    Kathy Bailey
    Retreating in New Hampshire
    Or maybe advancing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy (Kaybee) you need to come and do a day on Seekerville when your book releases. I'm looking so forward to it.

      Delete
    2. I'm really looking forward to this book, too.

      Delete
    3. Congratulations on signing the contract!

      Delete
  7. That sounds wonderful and productive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Glynis. I wish the weather would've been nicer. But I suppose then I'd've done less work. It's like God conspired with Dawn Ford to make this a perfect retreat!

      Delete
  8. I so really really wished I could've been there.
    You know what my favorite part of this whole retreat is?
    Ya'll actually got a lot of writing done!

    The planning and place for this was perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, Connie??? Any grandbabies yet? Surely by now. Connie was supposed to come but she had TWO daughters-in-law threatening to go into labor in Texas. She abandoned us for that. Can you believe it!!!

      Delete
    2. Both arrived last week, nice and healthy!!!!
      Little granddaughter on Thurs. and a grandson on Friday!!!

      Delete
    3. Connie, that's wonderful!! I think you made the right choice! :)

      Delete
    4. We missed you, Connie, but we'll catch you next time around! Congrats on the new grands!

      Delete
  9. That’s awesome!!!

    Tips:
    1. Discuss expectations and writing methods (ie: do not talk to me while I’m writing)
    2. If sharing a single hotel room, try to splurge for the suite which helps A LOT if you have an early bird and a night owl (or a snorer - earplugs too)
    3. Schedule a meal or something right off the bat to get a good convo in before getting started

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also jealous. Because you got to hang out with Sharee!!!

      And sheep!

      Sounds like a great, productive time was had by all.

      Delete
    2. Sharee rode with me so I got lots of talking time in there. Other than that she just WORKED.

      She couldn't even announce her contract yet.

      Delete
    3. Those are good tips, Carol. It's amazing how MUCH you can spend on a place if you're splitting it up. It becomes very affordable.

      Delete
    4. I’ve only ever done 1-2 person retreats. When I’m by myself, I usually splurge on the jacuzzi room at our local hotel. I think my biggest was 30K in about 60 hours. With two people... I’ve written as little as 6K in three days /sad head shake/ and as much as about 25K in the same time. I did go to Tulsa to have several writing hours with Mikal once. I wrote about three sentences. But I had lunch with Mikal. So that was good!

      Delete
    5. Wow, Carol!!!! WOW WOW WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's gotta be some kind of a land speed record!!!

      Delete
    6. OOOH Carol, that's some great advice. You woulda had a blast with us. And you would've brought chocolate chip cookies. That always improves my word count. :) NOT telling everyone about the book contract was the HARDEST. But Mary and I did solve many world issues on the way up and back.

      Delete
    7. Good advice, Carol! And Sharee, I bet that was really difficult not to tell!

      Delete
  10. Sounds like fun and very productive, Mary. Glad you got so much done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandy. Next time we'll drag you along!

      Delete
    2. Right?! Erica had me laughing harder than I have in a hundred years.

      Delete
    3. Yvonne, I can imagine that comedy!! Erica and Mary together would keep me in stitches the whole time. :)

      Delete
    4. You got a lot done for a short stay!!!! WTG Yvonne!

      Delete
  11. You had a super-productive retreat!

    I like the way you all shared the work (meals, etc) and respected each other's writing time. And the weather cooperated, too!

    But I think the title for your blog holds the secret to a successful retreat: you were in a crowd of introverts. Sweet!

    I wonder...if I planned a retreat in the Black Hills, would anyone come? There are plenty of VRBO locations here, and gorgeous scenery....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd definitely come if I could, Jan. I think I'll go start packing!

      Delete
    2. Jan, sign me up!! And yes, introverted writers in a secluded location definitely equals productivity.

      Delete
    3. I'm in, Jan! I've never been to the area.

      Delete
    4. Missy, you definitely need to go to the Black Hills!

      Delete
    5. GO TO THE BLACK HILLS! HOW AM I GOING TO GET MY WRITING DONE IF THERE IS COOL STUFF TO GO DO???

      Delete
  12. Mary, I think that's a pretty accurate accounting! We had a few super productive brainstorming times that I think benefited everyone. It's surprising how brainstorming someone else's book gives you ideas for your own.
    The living room, where Mary held court, ended up being the break place. People could take a break, wander into the kitchen for a snack from the over-stuffed refrigerators or the packed candy counter, and visit for a bit. With Mary.
    But I think what made it most successful was that we all came to do some serious (or in Mary's case, humorous) work. No teaching times, no off-site events (though Mary is accurate when she said we were in the middle of nowhere!). Scheduled meals but even those you could skip if you were in the groove - but no one missed a meal!).
    And it's SO fabulous, and inspiring, to write surrounded by writing peeps.
    Great fun! And congrats, Mary, on hitting over 18k!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If there was a chance to talk, I didn't want to miss it. It's funny how we all sort of staked out a spot and just stayed there.
      And I forgot the brainstorming sessions. We didn't do that many but if someone wanted one, then we all pitched in. Those were fun.

      Delete
    2. Stacy, it sounds like a perfect retreat!

      Delete
    3. You should join us next time, Missy!!

      Delete
  13. Mary!! Waving to everyone! It was a wonderful retreat and I did get a lot done. Including a brainstorming session thanks to all involved with that! I was one of the basement dwellers who only came up for food. And man, did we have food. I got through my edits for the book releasing in December and spent an afternoon figuring out how to blow up a house with natural gas. But that's a totally different topic. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharee, a book related explosion right? LOL

      Delete
    2. OOOH right, right, forgot that little detail.

      Delete
    3. LOL! Yeah, you have to clarify that so people won't be afraid to go on a retreat with you again. :)

      Delete
  14. Erica's perspective on the retreat:

    1. I was super comfortable because I had been to this house before (with Mary and Dawn, like five years ago?) for a retreat. Also, I was rooming with Mary, and we've roomed together and get along swimmingly. So no stress there of rooming with a stranger.

    2. Responsibilities were shared. Meal prep in particular. I am not much of a cook, so only having the responsibility of one meal was nice...as was getting to eat lots of scrumptious food made by people who were better cooks than I. Everyone helped with the cleanup and the final check-out responsibilities.

    3. I holed up in the room Mary and I shared for most of the time, because I didn't want to be a distraction to others. I know that if I am in the same room with Mary, we WILL talk. About everything.

    4. I finished the final chapters of my manuscript, adding about 10K words, and then went back to begin the last polishing before I turned it in. I also worked through the line edits of another manuscript which hit my inbox halfway through the retreat.

    5. The brainstorming sessions were great. One was a 'from the ground up' story-building idea, and another was an author who needed to talk through her story aloud to confirm where she was going.

    6. Being out in the country, in the dismal weather, meant there was nothing to distract.

    7. Everyone was congenial, professional, and came ready to work.

    8. We consumed approximately eleventy-billion calories. If Calories = word count, we would have written the equivalent to the Britannica Encyclopedia plus indexes.

    9. There were a few of us who had been watching NBC's The Voice, and the finale aired while we were at the retreat...apologies to Dawn for this one...we were going to watch the final two nights together, but when I turned on the tv in my room, she didn't come along to watch...I didn't want to disturb all the writing that was going on, so I closed the bedroom door. Turns out, I closed it almost in her face as she was coming down the hall! EEEK! I watched alone that night, and then Stacy joined me the next night.

    10. Apparently, it doesn't matter how recently you finished dinner...and dessert, Stacy will drop by your room and see if you want an ice cream sundae. :)


    11. I good time was had by all, new friends were made, a gazillion words and much progress were made on projects, souls were refreshed, and I would do it again in a heartbeat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All true, Erica. Especially the eleventy-billion calories!!!

      Delete
    2. I'm now about eleventy-billion pounds heavier.

      Delete
  15. Sounds like a delightful retreat! The house looks lovely too. Lots of room and a pond in the rear...or was that flooding from the rain? :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL flooding would be appropriate! But no. There's a pond and a canoe and a dock to stand on...all of which we did NOT do because it was cold, rainy, windy. so, GET BACK TO WORK!!!

      Delete
  16. Thanks for sharing your fun AND productive retreat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the most productive one I've ever been on. Usually I lapse into a lot of TALKING.

      Delete
  17. Congratulations! It sounds ideal to get away with friends and write, write, write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time spent with writers is always fun. We speak a strange language.

      Delete
  18. Way to go! Looking forward to reading what y'all wrote, one day soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping in, Joy! I'm writing as fast as I can!!!

      Delete
  19. Lol...this has got to be one of your funniest posts! It sounds like it was a great weekend away and I look forward to reading your 18,500 words! Lee-Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee-Ann I worked on the series that begins in October. The Brides of Hope Mountain!!! It's going to be even funnier than the post.

      Delete
  20. Hello Mary and fellow retreaters! I had such a great time. My first ever writers retreat and I would absolutely do it again. Dawn did great with the organization, the food was amazing (it was great not having to cook every meal myself), and I greatly enjoyed getting to know everyone. And the laughter!

    It was encouraging to be around others who are serious (and not so serious, LOL) about their writing. It was just the reset button I needed for my story - I knocked out a bit over 10,000 words! I would absolutely do this again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angela, it sounds like your first ever writing retreat was a huge success!

      Delete
    2. Wow, Angela, fantastic word count. And yes, even with all that writing, we laughed a lot. I should've recorded Erica for my future as a stand-up comic. (I could steal her jokes!)

      Delete
  21. Congratulations on your 18,000 words Mary and two books coming out as well! Tickled to hear about your retreat, I know it had to be fun, especially with Sharee there : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stacy. Thanks for coming over. Yeah, Sharee … everything sparkles when she'd involved. :D

      Delete
  22. Is there something more inspiring about being alone together in a rural setting and looking out the window and seeing a sea of sheep rather than being alone in a similar setting and seeing acres of Angus?

    Was it a retreat in the religious sense or was it really a retreat in the military sense?

    Is a retreat like a 3-day pass?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a retreat in the 'Dawn Ford Invited Me' sense.

      I did a somewhat military retreat from all responsibilities.

      Delete
  23. Sounds like a productive time that was well spent. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lucy. Thanks for stopping in and leaving a comment.

      Delete
  24. Oh, Mary. I am so jealous of your words. I also greatly fear I would have found a way to distract myself. I'm good that way. The retreat sounds lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cate I have now lapsed back to my usual 1000 words a day. But somehow now that feels like I'm a SLACKER!!!!!!!!!!

      Delete
  25. Mary, Congrats on your word count! The retreat sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sounds like my house would be a perfect writer's retreat (when we are not here of course) but no sheep so that could be a deal breaker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. maybe if there were no sheep I'd've written TWENTY THOUSAND WORDS!!! Those darned distracting sheep.

      Delete
  27. Mary, that sounds like so much fun. And way more productive than the retreat I am going on next week. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy if you're having fun and a break that's it's own kind of productive!

      Delete
  28. i really find this blog very interesting. very informative too. thanks for sharing this blog.

    Shocked at Baytown VoIP Services

    ReplyDelete
  29. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  31. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  32. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."