Friday, July 26, 2019

Where's a Whale When You Need One?


by Pam Hillman

We’ve all read the story of Jonah, right? God wanted Jonah to go to Nineveh and preach to the Ninevites. Jonah refused to go and boarded a boat with the intention of getting as far away as he could.

Well, that didn’t work out so well when God caused a great storm and the sailors on the boat cast lots and the lot fell on Jonah. Knowing he was caught, Jonah told them to throw him overboard, and you know the rest.

God had prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah and spit him out on land close to… you guessed it, Nineveh.

So, how does this relate to writing?

I’m not sure about the rest of you, but many of my characters and even portions of my plots run parallel to some Biblical story. I don’t start out to write mirror images of Biblical characters, and I don’t plot from that perspective, but eventually, when all the wrinkles are ironed out, I tend to have a lot of parallels. Some are more obvious than others.

When I first started working on my Natchez Trace Novel series, I had no clue that the three brothers would end up symbolizing the three men in The Prodigal Son. When my editor needed to know the spiritual thread that connected the series, I started looking at my notes and discovered this aspect staring me in the face. It was there all the time… I just hadn’t seen it.

In The Road to Magnolia Glen, Quinn sacrifices his own desires for freedom from familial responsibility when he takes on the responsibility of three additional people. This type sacrifice is rampant in fiction and readers are drawn to characters who sacrifice their own goals for others, especially when the hero sacrifices his own goals for the heroine.

The examples above relate to characters, but there’s also a parallel to my actual plots in many cases. Once I realized that Connor, Quinn, and Caleb symbolized the father, the elder brother, and the prodigal son, I was able to dig deeper into how each would act and react to situations regarding each other. I wouldn’t say that this aspect of the stories bled over into the romances or even the current situation each man found himself in, but they brought their past with them, and knowing the family dynamics helped me flesh them out and stay in character.

The hardest character for me to nail down in The Crossing at Cypress Creek was Alanah’s uncle. I was well into the first draft before I figured out what kind of man Uncle Jude was. And when I did, he ended up mirroring a Biblical character. Some readers have picked up on Jude’s alter-ego, while others haven’t. So, I guess it was a little more subtle than I thought. But knowing who he was based on made writing him much easier, but in some ways, much harder. Because the Biblical Jonah has always been a conundrum to me. I never could understand why he did what he did. Maybe I still don’t really understand, but fleshing out Uncle Jude in my own way in the 18th century gave me a bit more insight into the Biblical Jonah.

By Pieter Lastman - IAFT8IfCTfplRQ at Google Cultural Institute maximum zoom level, Public Domain
https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=24208288
And then there’s the external plot points that need to be implemented when trying to “rewrite” something from the Biblical stories.

In Stealing Jake, Jake has to face his greatest fear when he’s trapped in a mine after an explosion…for the second time in his life. He rises to the occasion and turns into the darkness of the mine to rescue others. The phrase “for such a time as this” rings over and over in his head. I don’t rehash the story of Esther, or even mention her name, but just using the phrase clued many readers in to the similarities of the situation.

And then there was my latest conundrum. What do you do when you need a whale, but your story is landlocked? I struggled with this aspect of The Crossing at Cypress Creek for weeks. Once I knew who Uncle Jude was modeled after, I really, really wanted him to have a “whale” moment. But the how kept eluding me. I brainstormed with writer friends, landing on one idea after another before discarding them all as not feasible. Then, I finally found a solution that worked. It wasn’t a whale, but close enough. I put Uncle Jude in a dark, dank root cellar. Injured, trapped, and going in and out of consciousness, I had him in his “whale” and he came to an understanding with God.

Sometimes the whale eludes us until right at the time we need it most. But if we keep searching, keep writing, and keep plotting, we’ll finally find that whale.

As a writer, where’s your whale? What parallels can you think of in your characters or plots with Biblical stories? As a reader, have you read books where characters or plots made you think of a story from the Bible or even Greek mythology?

www.pamhillman.com

28 comments:

  1. Pam, this is DEEEEEP. I'm still fairly new at this (at least at having books and stories worth talking about), so I can't think of anything offhand that is a specific mirror to a Biblical story. What I can say is that all my books (I hope) reflect Scriptural principles and how Jesus wants us to respond to each other and Him. Every human emotion and reaction can be found in the Bible, Shakespeare, or the Beach Boys' "Pet Sounds" album.
    I'm a little down today because my secular work is slow. Guess this would be a good time to trust the God Who owns the cattle on 1,000 hills. And Who multiplied loaves, fishes and the oil in a widow's jar.
    My daughter and I are going to the ocean today and I have a Beach Bag Full Of Books.
    May be back later.
    Kaybee
    Enjoying the ocean breezes in New Hampshire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kaybee, ocean breezes make EVERYTHING better! Enjoy!!!

      And... many times these aha moments that are in your stories don't come until much later... during rewrites or sometimes you don't even SEE the parallels yourself. I had a reader sent me an IM on Facebook that said something along the lines of "A Trojan raft ... love it!!" It took me a while to figure out what she was talking about, but I had written a bit of the Trojan Horse story into one of my stories and didn't even realize it! lol

      Delete
    2. Kathy, enjoy the ocean! I pray God inspires you there and gives you peace about your work.

      Delete
    3. I'm always jealous of people who can just "go to the ocean for a day."

      Delete
  2. I like how you put Uncle Jude in the cellar. I am often too literal with my writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes subtle is good. Readers enjoy discovering hidden gems in stories. :)

      Delete
  3. I'm with Kaybee that I'm still kind of new to this writing thing and don't have a lot of stories to draw on of my own for comparison. But it makes me think that I should be using these Bible stories as a well to draw on when I am plotting and characterizing. God is amazingly creative and especially with Jonah, He knows how to get His will accomplished and make sure we all know Who orchestrated it! Great post, Pam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glynis, my advice is to just write and enjoy the process. As I stated above (and Vince adds to this below), a lot of story threads do parallel biblical stories, Greek mythology, and even Disney movies! One of my novels had undertones of Shrek in it... discovered after the fact and maybe after too much pizza. So maybe it wasn't Shrek, but it felt like it at the time! lol

      Delete
  4. I love this post, Pam!

    I often have to wait until the last half of the book to identify my character's biblical counterpart...but with my first book I didn't see it until my editor suggested the title to me: The Prodigal Son Returns. Duh! Of course! And this knowledge helped immensely as I wrote the sequels that involved Bram's family.

    My current book is still rather new, but I'm getting an idea of my hero's character. My heroine was in the first two books of the series as a secondary character (and subject of many rumors!), so seeing how the two characters interact is interesting. I'm not sure if they're going to end up as a Ruth and Boaz story or a Gomer and Hosea story. Or perhaps something completely different. But you have the wheels turning!

    The great thing is that the Bible is so complete in showing us the human experience and how we relate to God...and mostly how He relates to us...that we'll find our characters in there somewhere.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Jan! The Bible is a great place to study character development and the domino effect of our characters choices, yes?

      Delete
  5. Pam, this is so interesting!! I don't remember ever having an example of this but will be going back and trying to remember about my older books. I love the examples you shared!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "There are none so blind as those who will not see."

    Sometimes we are our own whales.

    I believe Bible stories reflect the most primordial representations of the conflicts inherent in the human condition. As such a good author will very likely mirror such conflicts in her own stories without there necessarily being any direct awareness of so doing.

    'Cain killing Abel' could be structured to cover any close family member killing another. The 'writing on the wall' is even a cliché which can be disguised by clever foreshadowing.

    I would actually find it harder to think of any good story that is not represented in the Bible than otherwise. Besides, it is most often not the plot but rather the execution of that plot along with the lessons to be derived from the author's take that makes a story important.

    This is not to diminish the creative genius of any author. I think your 'root cellar' whale is a wonderful idea…especically since I wish I had thought of it.:)

    I will be 'seeing' Bible stories in all the fiction I read for quite some time.
    Excellent Post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Vince. I find lots of nuggets in stories that remind me of Biblical stories. Some are tiny little snippets, but then others are bigger, with whole storylines or character arcs that remind me of something specific from the Bible.

      Case in point... long after I'd written The Crossing at Cypress Creek, a visiting evangelist preached a sermon that had me jotting notes in my phone. It was like he was preaching to MY characters. I shared this experience of sitting on the pew with my characters in MTL Magazine: The Story Behind the Story.

      Delete
    2. Oh my, I can agree with your experience. Sometimes, maybe too often, I get the impression the preacher is speaking directly to me! This is when it helps to know many of the physical proxies for appearing innocent. :)

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing Pam. When I read the scene you mention with Uncle Judd, I did get the Jonah parallel, however I totally missed the prodigal son analogy. I can't think of any books off the top of my head that parallel biblical accounts but when I do see similarities, my mind automatically runs through the account and reviews lessons learned. Lee-Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee-Ann, you're forgiven for missing the prodigal son analogy. :) It did, after all, span three books in the series, so was much more subtle that Uncle Jude's character arc in the one book.

      The prodigal son thread was intentionally subtle and was more for ME as the author to solidly anchor those three men in their roles, making Connor (O'Shea brother #1) a solid father figure and "head" of the family character; Quinn (O'Shea brother #2), but portraying the elder brother from the prodigal son parable, resented having to stay home in Ireland and talk care of the little brothers. He felt he'd missed out on all the fun; Caleb (O'Shea brother #3), was the prodigal, etc.

      It would be really hard to see any of this in book #1 and even in book #2 since Caleb (the prodigal) was still off stage. But when it came to writing book #3, with all three men on stage, I had a great roadmap (the original Prodigal Son story!!!) to go by, so that part of the story was fairly easy to lay down on paper. :)

      Delete
  8. I love that twist to the whale! My current WIP has a character similar to Gideon. I'm still pondering what a good parallel to the dew on the fleece would be. This post encouraged me to keep plugging away at ideas. So, thank you! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've got me thinking. I definitely didn't write any of my characters with a person from the Bible in mind, but like Missy said, now I want to go back and see if I can make any parallels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There ya go! I suspect you'll be surprised at what you find. :)

      Delete
  10. This is a great post, Pam. I don't know if any of my characters have a Biblical counterpart but I will have to keep that in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I recently read Connilyn Cossette's new book Until the Mountains Fall which parallels the story of the Prodigal Son from the Bible. Conni's book is Biblical fiction which is not one of my usual go-to genres, but I've loved this Cities of Refuge series. I've read many other books which parallel Bible stories, too. Some are more subtle than others.

    Thanks for the thought-provoking post, Pam! I always enjoy Seekerville posts, even though I'm not a writer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard great things about that book. Must add it to my tbr pile! :)

      Delete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."