Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Another "P" Word = Persistence




A few months I did a blog on the P word – procrastination.


Today, I’m back to talk about a different P word, the one that determines the possibility of success – Persistence.

I have two quotations that have guided my writing career for as long as I can remember.
The first is:
  
A professional writer is an amateur who didn’t quit. (Often attributed to Richard Bach, bus he supposedly disavowed saying it.)

I have read a lot of differing opinions about that quote ranging from arguments about what constitutes a professional writer to what determines the level of success required to claim writer status. I’m not really interested in any of those arguments. In my mind, it comes down to this – writers write. So whether you do it for a lot of money or none, if you haven’t quit yet (or have and came back to it), then you’re on the right/write track.

The second quote follows naturally from that. 

She wrote what she loved, until she loved what she wrote, and she sent it out one more time.
I have no idea where this quote came from. I have it on a scrap of paper that is so old it’s turned yellow and brittle.

When I tried to Google the source of that quote, I got a bunch of links to Taylor Swift’s new album. It’s really tempting to tag Taylor in this post and see our views skyrocket. I have no idea why that quote triggered Taylor's name, but when I thought about it, I was glad it had.

 A lesson in procrastination vs. persistence


The other day, I was supposed to be writing, but when I signed on to Twitter to join my #1k1hr group, #TaylorSwiftonGMA was trending. I very easily got sucked down a rabbit hole of Taylor Swift videos. 

Avoiding that kind of rabbit hole is a constant struggle for me. My husband used to drive me crazy flipping channels on the television. It seemed he’d stay on something just long enough for me to get hooked. He would move on, but by that time, I would be begging him to turn it back (to some show I'd probably be embarrassed to admit watching), because once I'm hooked, I need to find out what happens.

Which is what happened last Thursday on Twitter. First there was a video about Taylor's father handing out pizza to the people who waited on line overnight. Then there was Taylor singing a song from her new album. Then... and so on.

It's important to note here, I've never particularly been a Taylor Swift fan. I was just curious about what all the fuss on Good Morning America was about. My interest had been piqued. 

Am I alone in this? I know we joke about going to Facebook to check one thing and discovering we've spent an hour instead of the scheduled 5 minutes.

As it turns out though, watching Taylor Swift videos for an hour wasn’t without some benefit. One of the clips on GMA gave a history of her career starting as an 11 year-old girl determined to make it in Nashville. She explained that her mother and little brother waited in the car while she delivered karaoke demos she’d made. She talked about walking up and down Music Row knocking on doors.

"I would say, 'Hi, I'm Taylor. I'm 11; I want a record deal. Call me."

I cannot imagine having that kind of dedication at my age, let alone at 11. 
But the story didn't end there.


I found an article on ENews that included this:
"She came back from that trip to Nashville and realized she needed to be different, and part of that would be to learn the guitar," Andrea told EW. "Now, at 12, she saw a 12-string guitar and thought it was the coolest thing. And of course we immediately said, 'Oh no, absolutely not, your fingers are too small—not till you're much older will you be able to play the 12-string guitar.'
"Well, that was all it took. Don't ever say never or can't do to Taylor. She started playing it four hours a day—six on the weekends. She would get calluses on her fingers and they would crack and bleed, and we would tape them up and she'd just keep on playing.  ENews

What intrigues me is how someone has that kind of drive to succeed - especially at such a young age. 

Taylor is not unique in her work ethic. We hear stories all the time about athletes and their superior dedication to their sport, practicing endless hours until they can sink that three-point shot flawlessly, or lead a team to another Super Bowl victory.  


What can we, as writers, learn from this mindset?


That question has really been on my mind a lot lately. Writing is not a career for the faint of heart. It requires a lot of hard work, is often solitary, and you can go many years honing your craft before you manage to snag that contract.


And when you do, you just get to do it all over again.

Some writers succeed brilliantly, and others, as in my quote above, never rise to that professional level for one reason or another.

Why?

I found some interesting thoughts on that topic in an article at a teaching workshop I attended this week. I'm going to link the article. Take a minute and go look - it's short.

The article states: The question, then, is why some people are better at developing their potential than others. 

What intrigued me about the answer was the psychological analysis. I'm just going to share a couple of key quotes that intrigued me. They will all make more sense if you read the article.

The trouble is that most people don’t seriously want what they say they want.
’I want’ means, ‘if I want it enough I will get it.’ Getting what you want means making the decisions you need to make to get what you want.”

In other words, few of us are willing to do what it takes to achieve what we desire.

Some aspirations are simply superficial desires for status, not declarations of will followed up by action.

Real motivation is the key ingredient. Those who actually succeed at getting better are obsessed with their goals, turning that motivation into genuine talent over time.



These thoughts hit home with me, because throughout my life, whenever I was working on something that I cared passionately about, I was unstoppable. My energy was boundless, nothing could stand in my way.

When I find myself faltering, it's usually because some little voice in my head is whispering, Do you really want it enough to work this hard?

Obviously adolescent Taylor Swift did.

Do you?

Is writing something you feel passionately about and are you ready to make the decisions you need to succeed. Are you willing to put in the time to develop the talent? Are you ready to bloody those fingers?

If you’re not a writer, is there something else that you are passionate about to this level?

Let's chat.






48 comments:

  1. Oh, Cate, what a thought to start a busy day. Or a number of thoughts. I've been pursuing publication most of my life and made every possible mistake, but kept at it and it really was in the Lord's timing. Every contest win or final nudged me a little closer to not giving up. Glad I stayed with it, sailing off Unpubbed Island (do you still use that metaphor?) Sept. 20. It has been A Long Haul.
    I kept an "encouragement file" with even the slimmest compliment preserved.
    I still get bogged down when I think of the sheer amount of work that lies ahead of me (Guest blogs! PR! Researching and writing Book III! Keeping track of sales! Reading galleys, I have one in my e-mail right now for the Christmas novella. The day job and the family.) Time management, anyone?
    But persistence, yeah. When you're published or almost-published, it takes on a slightly different hue, the color of Keeping Up What You've Been Doing.
    But there are worse things to be doing, and trust me, I've done them. Let's always remember what Ruthy says, that this is SUCH A PRIVILEGE.
    Day job, nonfiction book, other flotsam and jetsam ("Meet George Jetsam"), hope to pop in later.
    Kathy Bailey
    Kaybee buying a boat to sail off you-know-what

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love being quoted! :)

      Persistence is key.

      Persistence is clutch.

      Cate is smart.

      Delete
  2. Good morning, Kathy.

    I'm so excited for your trip off Unpubbed Island. I'd offer to search the warehouse for a boat you could borrow, but it seems like such an important trip deserves a brand spanking new boat!

    Yes, there are plenty of rocks that can trip you up on Pubbed Mainland too. It's all a juggling act, which reinforces all that much more that you REALLY need to want it.

    And yes, we do well to remember, that as in all things, the Lord's timing is always right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Note to anyone visiting - I have to be working in my classroom today setting up for school opening next week, so I might not get to answer right away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cate, I have always loved Taylor Swift's chutzpah. That girl worked hard from the time she sang "Tim McGraw" and every step of the way now. We have different political views, and I shrug off stars who try to influence the masses, but... what a great performer and hard working woman she is. God love her, she's willing to stride forward even when folks advise against it. Go her... and go us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting, Ruthy. Someone told me recently that Taylor used her platform because a friend brought it to her attention that many of her fans believed she had different views and she wanted to be up front about what she believed.

      I think that would be an interesting topic for another day - can you enjoy someone's work when you seriously disagree with their politics or other beliefs?

      Delete
  5. These are great thoughts, Cate!

    When I think about some of the things I've done in my life - the big things...the things I was super passionate about - I see that 11 year old Taylor Swift. But I wasn't alone. Those five or six things stand out because I believe I was called by God to do them.

    Those five or six things also stand out because they required a LOT of sacrifice. Keeping my eye on the goal meant suffering through the bloody fingers...sometimes losing what I considered good to grasp God's best. Trading mediocre for excellence takes persistence that we aren't able to create within ourselves. It comes from outside - from God Himself.

    You are certainly right, that writing in not a career for the faint of heart. You have to be willing to give what the career demands. But for those who are able to do that, for those who are called to this life, the rewards are endless.

    I could write more...but maybe I'll save those thoughts for my own blog post. ;-)

    Have fun getting your classroom ready!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I hope you do write more as a blog post, Jan. I want to read more of your thoughts on this!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for your inspiring thoughts. I am trying to be more persistent in my book reviews and my blog. I have always been a reader but I am now trying to support authors with my reviews and I am trying to improve my blogging skills. I have begun creating memes to go along with this and I love it but as with anything, it takes time, practice, and determination. Good luck in all of your endeavors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for supporting authors with your reviews, Connie. We really do appreciate it.
      I'm impressed with you working on memes. I always mean to work on getting better with them, but then writing takes up my time.

      Delete
  7. Great post, Mary Cate. Lots of stuff to make one think and evaluate. Do I want it? Depends which day you ask me, however there's always that overall drive, I suppose. If I'm not writing, I feel that I should be. I recognize the procrastination.

    And I love Taylor Swift, her music, her drive... She is truly an inspiration, even if we don't agree on everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely agree on this, Mindy. There are days I ask myself why I put myself through this.
      And then a new idea pops up and I'm flying high again.

      Delete
  8. I like to think about persistence more than procrastination! That seems like a nasty word when I have to admit to myself I've been doing it, but being persistent is so positive. Thanks for sharing that article, too! And I'm with Mindy - I DO want it, but some days, hmmm...it's a struggle to come up with that urgency to get words on the page. I struggle with perfectionism.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie, that's why I need deadlines. I can't manufacture that urgency on my own.
      And then I kick myself wondering why I wanted a deadline when I'd rather go play Candy Crush.
      *sigh*

      Delete
  9. What a great example Taylor Swift sets for persistence and determination. It's during those times when I feel discouraged that I need to remember the WHY I'm doing what I am. Soemtimes I need to hear truth from a friend to get me back on track. And sometimes, I need to kick fear to the curb and not allow it entrance into my thoughts and heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanne, I do wonder how often it's fear that discourages rather than not wanting it enough. Fear masquerades in many forms.

      Delete
  10. I absolutely love this, Cate.

    Great words of wisdom.
    People don't seriously want what they say the want. Writing is kind of like being on a diet. I want to lose weight, and then someone brings donuts. (Ruthy.) I don't really want to lose weight THAT bad, as I have chocolate dripping from chin. But when I set my mind to it, I run a race and turn down even chips and queso.

    My husband constantly changes the tv channels, especially if he believes I've fallen asleep. Drives me crazy. I just want to see what happens. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Connie, who knew we shared that television problem? LOL

      I was actually thinking of you when I wrote this post. You and I also share that working for many years pre-pub, but I think I took 10 years longer than you.

      Delete
    2. Oh wow. It's definitely not a quick journey for most of us! But I love happy endings.

      Delete
  11. Great post, Cate. Persistence is what I need to strive for. It is easy to see how Taylor Swift managed to get where she is today with that kind of persistence. However, I'm probably in the minority in that I absolutely cannot stand any of her music. I want to turn it off the second it comes on. But that's just me and I can still admire her perseverance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not in the minority, Sandy. I've only liked the occasional song (That Romeo and Juliet one), but her music is catchy and if I hear it, I find it stuck in my head.

      Delete
  12. Great food for thought. The topic brought Romans 12:11 to mind, where it says to never lack in zeal but keep your spiritual fervor. Persistence requires us to keep the fires of our *good* passions continually stoked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for grounding it in Scripture, Samantha.

      Delete
  13. I also cannot enjoy Taylor Swift’s music or what she stands for. Persistence may have made her successful but for me it is more successful to serve Christ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely agree, Lucy, that it is more successful to serve Christ. I saw a wonderful meme a few years ago - something like, You all need to be chasing Jesus the way you chase Pokemon.

      Delete
  14. Cate, I think if I had known how long the road was, the ups, the downs, the avalanches and landslides, when I first started out, I might not have persisted to see that view from the mountaintop.

    If I had known up front that reaching that mountaintop gave you a vista of new mountains to climb...I might not have started!

    And yet, I've learned through the years that it's the journey, not the destination, and creating a new goal when an old one is reached, that keep me interested and energized to persist when things get hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erica, I think you hit on an important point here. I had a wonderful mug that said, "Life is a journey. Enjoy every moment." (Sadly, it cracked at the beginning of the summer.)
      I think maybe the key to happiness as a writer is to enjoy each step on the journey. Otherwise, why do it? Of course, that's easier said than done, especially when deadlines loom.

      Delete
  15. Hi Cate and Ruth:

    "What would you achieve if you knew you couldn't fail?"
    PMA saying.

    "Showing up is 80% of life." Woody Allen

    Persistence in the performance of continuous negative results is another definition of insanity. Persist in a viable strategy but change tactics as often as needed.

    I don't think that persistence is the key. I think hat the belief that failure is not ultimately an option is what the Taylor Swifts of the world have that makes the difference.

    If you were told that there was a million dollars in cash in one of 10,000 barrels in a huge warehouse and you could keep that money if you found it, would you really call it persistence if you were determined to look into every barrel until you found it?

    I would not call this persistence. I'd call it acting on the 'knowledge' that you will be successful and highly rewarded.

    If you have a strong enough belief in the inevitability of your success, then persistence does not even come into play.

    You gotta believe!

    Vince

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vince, I'm really glad your brought that up. I'm really curious how people develop that belief. Is it the result of having others believe in them?

      The article had an interesting comment I didn't use.
      "One of psychology’s most consistent findings is that people generally lack insight into their actual talents–we tend to think we’re better than we really are."

      That doesn't answer the question of where the belief comes from though.

      Any ideas?

      Delete
  16. Thanks for sharing Cate. Perseverance was something I learned as a young piano student and it was a discipline that stuck with me. I am thankful for the hours of training I did back then as it has helped me to focus and block out noise when I do sit down to write. It's tough to keep my seat in my chair when there are messes to clean up and children finding the 40th excuse to be out of bed during Mommy's writing time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really interesting, Lee-Ann. I was so bad at practicing the piano that my mother and teacher conspired to use reverse psychology telling me I should quit. Unlike in Taylor's case, telling me to quit worked. I said, "Okay!"
      Granted I was not passionate about playing the piano, but maybe it's just my personality flaw. ;)

      Delete
  17. I'm so sorry I never made it back yesterday. Bad news from the vet kind of sunk my day. My little buddy needs emergency surgery for a cancerous tumor on his leg. The scary part is, it may be connected to the cancer he survived 4 years ago.

    I'm catching up now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cate, I'm so sorry about sweet Fenway. I pray they can get it all with the surgery.

      Delete
  18. I just noticed the comment I wrote never appeared. At least I think I hit publish! You never know. :)

    Great post, Cate! I can so relate to being persistent. I've almost given up many times. But somehow God kept me going.

    I loved the article you posted. Thanks for sharing that link! I've added it to the Weekend Edition links.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've certainly taken breaks along the way, Missy. But that's because we have lives with other things that require persistence too.

      Thanks for adding the link.

      Delete
  19. Cate, you've been on my mind recently. Probably because Labor Day is fast approaching and I'm sure you'll head back to the classroom soon thereafter. I hope you accomplished your summer goals. I so enjoyed spending time with you at RWA!

    Great post and linked article! Persistence is the key, isn't it? I lope along with my writing until a hurdle appears, then I have to make that leap. Often it's a leap of faith. I seem to be my own worst critic, looking always at what I can't master (such as anything that involves technology) as opposed to what I can and have achieved. Sounds crazy, I know.

    There's a Christian song that includes the lyrics, "Make new wine out of me!" That's been my recent prayer. I'm asking the Lord to make new wine out of me. Whatever isn't to his liking or whatever stands in the way of me accepting and embracing the gifts he's given me to be crushed so he can ferment me into something more in keeping with his holy will. I'll keep you posted in the months ahead as to how that new wine is progressing!

    Prayers for wonderful students and a satisfying school year!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi, Cate! Procrastination and persistence are two P words that get to me. Just about every time because I tend to be really good at both. Eek!

    Passion for writing? I had that for so so many years, starting in 7th grade, way back in the Fall of 1971 (dating myself here, haha), when a new English teacher came on board and assigned us a creative writing project. That's when I discovered a love of writing. I wrote my first novel in 9th grade (a reincarnation story set in Scotland, so it covered the present-day of 1973 and history of the late 1700s). I went on to write other novels and came somewhat-close to publication with Harlequin Intrigue in 1989. When I was finally rejected, it sent me into a tailspin because I take all criticism personally. I don't remember if I stopped writing altogether, but I have never stopped THINKING about writing or scribbling possible scenes for one of my books.

    My oldest sister is persistent, including about her writing. So are some of my other siblings. I joke that I never received the "persistence" gene, that it was all gone by the time my parents had me, #7 in the family.

    I was told from 7th grade-on that I had talent--by my teachers, by my sisters, by my Creative Writing prof in college. But did I have persistence/perseverance? That was highly questionable.

    However, something clicked this Spring. Maybe it was missing the Love Inspired Great Author Search (or whatever the name of it was) because I couldn't do a synopsis without writing the book first (I am not a plotter), and yet my sister did (she didn't receive a request). But there'd been an idea churning for a few years, and I finally sat down to write it. I'd wake up thinking about it and go to sleep thinking about it. For a book I wanted to submit to LI (55,000 words max), it ended up over 87,000! Now it has more, and I want to submit to a bigger publisher which means I might need an agent. That scares me to pieces!

    My sister has in her hands (well, her computer) two additional chapters I finished this week for this long book (they are what I call "the missing chapters"--to fill in a long blank), and once she sends them back to me and I finish editing, I will be seriously looking to my next step.

    The passion has returned. The persistence might still be questionable. And I will need to still the fears that knot my stomach. Where DO I go from here?

    Hope and pray that you have a great school year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  29. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  30. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."