Wednesday, October 30, 2019

A British Tour of All Saints Day


Did you know November 1st is celebrated worldwide as All Saints Day?  And I’d love to take you on an enriching tour of some English sights that suit the holiday.
   

Halloween, or All Hallows Eve as it’s called in England, is the night before All Saints Day when we memorialize the Christian faithful.  And, Halloween gets the lion’s share of the spotlight with costumed little ones gathering neighborhood candy and attending scary events.  Fun.  But, after visiting inspirational English abbey ruins, crypts, manor houses, ancient churches, and a fun village pub, I decided to write an All Saints Day mystery.  Come along and tour the English countryside with me to see what inspired All Hallows Dead.


The ruins of Whitby Abbey in North Yorkshire carved its way into my story-mind.

Here we are at Whitby Abbey.  It’s so easy to get lost in the former grandeur of the place, with images of monks singing hushed chants amidst brightly colored stain glass.  Enraptured, you barely notice the chilly sea wind that blows cross the headland and makes your cheeks red.  If walls could talk, what stories would they tell?  What secrets abide here?  It’s an amazing muse for my fictional Criswell Abbey, the hallowed ground where All Hallows Dead takes place. 

Whitby Abbey sits on a headland that juts into the North Sea.



Next, here we are at Mount Grace Priory, not far from the city of York.


Style and beauty rule the exterior of Mount Grace Priory’s manor house.

Many priory and abbey ruins became the property of individual families in the fifteen hundreds, often a favor from a ruling monarch.  For some, the building formerly reserved for lengthy visits from church officials and other dignitaries, was reworked into a manor house for the family.  We’ll now take in reworked interiors, beautiful furnishings, and open hearths of the manor house at Mount Grace Priory.  This was fodder for Marthrad House, manor home of the fictional, landed Cavendish family who own Criswell Abbey grounds in my All Saints tale.


An Arts and Crafts period interior decorates the manor home at Mount Grace Priory

Let’s travel to the south of England now.  Welcome to a rainy day in beautiful Wiltshire where we will visit Lacock Abbey, a nunnery started by Ela of Salisbury in the twelve hundreds.


Lacock Abbey is one of the few church grounds that survived the sixteenth century Dissolution of the Monasteries.

These are not abbey ruins, but complete and habitable buildings, though now they are owned by England’s National Trust.  The architecture and charm make imaginations spin as we wander the abbey grounds.  Who lived here?  What were their lives like?  Many women of privilege, often in widowhood, took the veil and called Lacock home.  But let’s duck into an out building for a moment’s reprieve from the misty rain.



Enter Lacock Abbey’s brew house with me and view the stairwell that leads to the cooping rooms.  Sorry, no ale on tap here.

What do you know?  We’re in the abbey brew house.  Yes, the monasteries of long ago brewed their own ale and often sold it to the villagers as well.  The water was a bit chancy back then.  But once it went through the brewing process, it was easily digested, no trouble.  Or, so I’m told.  Add to that fact a true story of how a landed family, who owned abbey grounds, built a pub around the remaining wall of their brew house, which is frequented by the villagers to this day.  I’ve heard English public houses, or pubs, described as, “the community living room.”  They aren’t bars, nor are they entirely restaurants, but they’re a higgldy-piggldy mixture.  This brew building, helped along by the true pub story, was the springboard for Watergate Alehouse, the historical local pub that serves all and sundry in my fictional village of Criswell.  In a sense, it is the community living room. 


Would you like to grab a pub lunch, along with a fizzy pop, and some pudding?  Let’s take a break in the Bull and Butcher found in Turville, Buchinghamshire, England.  It’s your quintessential English pub. 



The Bull and Butcher Pub in Buckinghamshire is cozy on a blustery day, just as is my fictional Watergate Public House.

Of course, there’re loads and loads more we could ramble through.  This is just a taste of all England has to offer a writer’s creative brain.  And when it comes to inspiration for an All Saints Day mystery, this is only a sniff.  I hope you’ve enjoyed the quick tour.  
Oh, here’s a departing word to note.  Reading All Hallows Dead isn’t complete until you can snuggle into a comfy chair with a steaming cup of tea and wooly throw.  It’s a cozy mystery that’s just right for short autumn days and long blustery nights.  Cheers.




To find out more about Marilyn, see snaps of England, or view other books she’s written 
To make a purchase: amazon.com


What secrets lie within the stones of Criswell Abbey’s medieval church, St. Baldred’s?  Berdie Elliott digs to find the truth in All Hallows Dead.

The crypt of St. Cedd at the parish church in Lastingham, England

Just for a tickle, here’s an excerpt

Berdie Elliott and her best friend, Lillie Foxworth, often find themselves in hot water, and they’re not brewing tea.


“What I found is absolutely priceless. There’s….” Berdie stopped when she became aware of clip-clop steps in the nave. “Shh.” She put her index finger to her lips.
“Why shush?” Lillie didn’t make her voice particularly quiet.
Berdie raised her brows and pointed toward the nave. “Someone’s about the place,” she whispered. “We can’t let on that we’re in here…”
The steps outside became louder. They were advancing toward the tower.
Lord have mercy.
There was a hesitation.

Berdie held her breath. She realized instantly that whoever was on the other side of the door, was perhaps one who knew all the secrets of this place which could mean she and Lillie were in very real danger.

How can a sixteenth century saint help solve a twenty-first century crime?



About Marilyn Leach:

Though Marilyn Leach grew up in the Western United States, she became a dyed-in-the-wool British enthusiast after exploring the UK and making friends there.  Her travels throughout England color her life and written works.  Though she dreams of settling in England,  Marilyn lives lakeside on the Front Range of Colorado.


41 comments:

  1. Marilyn, this is so cool. I was a huge fan of Ellis Peters' "Brother Cadfael" books, and also the PBS series starring Derek Jacobi. It must have been a horrible time to be alive, but such good fodder for readers and writers. Margaret Fraser did a similar series with a nun, I forget the name. Amazing how the fictional sleuths solved crimes with none of the tools we have today.
    Is your book time-slip, or does Berdie get her clues from old documents etc.?
    Having a catch-up day -- and a look-ahead day.
    Kathy Bailey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I adore Brother Cadfael. I have the complete DVD set and always see something new each time I watch it. It's a delight to find someone with similar interests. Don't forget JK Chesterton's Father Brown, as well. Berdie Elliot, my vicar's wife sleuth, lives in current time. However it's secrets from the past she physically uncovers that lead to solving the crime in All Hallows Dead, It was such a romp to write.

      Delete
    2. Kathy, I'm amazed at the creativity it takes to sleuth through a story. Not in my DNA, but I love reading it!

      Delete
  2. Marilyn, always good to have you in Seekerville. Thank you for being my guest. Your books and research fascinate me. I love how clues and suspicions come together - creating mysteries this old brain couldn't begin to accomplish.

    I love how your books follow the liturgical calendar. Such a great concept for a mystery series. Would you tell us more about the other books in the series?

    Enjoy your day in Seekerville!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning Audra and all you fellow Seekers. I'm thrilled to be here and hope you enjoy the tour. My books in the Berdie Elliott series are Candle for a Corpse (Advent), Up From the Grave (Lent), Into the Clouds (Ascension), and Enigma of Fire (Pentecost). Since my sleuth's a vicar's wife, it works together wonderfully. I'd love to know what visited places have churned into stories for others. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marilyn, just visiting mountain towns gets the creativity churning. England lives in my dreams :)

      Delete
  4. Oh, Marilyn! What great story fodder!

    And you must have such fun researching and writing this series. Color me jealous - I love your concept. I'll have to read the entire series now!

    Thanks for being on Seekerville today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, I love all the researching and writing, just as you say. As a bonus, one of my English friends majored in English History at university. He and his wife always have so much to offer when we tour together. Thanks for your comment. Happy reading! Cheers

      Delete
    2. Jan, are there Amish in England? Now that's fodder for thought :)

      Delete
  5. Oh, you had me at hello! What great fun this is, Marilyn, and now I must go see England for myself.... What a great setting and plot for adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruth, thanks so much for stopping by and leaving your comment. Next time I go to England, I'll sneak you in my suitcase. England is so rich in history, with tons of great sights to take in. Cheers

      Delete
  6. "There's so much scope for the imagination" when visiting ruins and relics of Europe. It's such an inspiring place to visit! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and photos from your inspiration. :) Lee-Ann B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee-Ann, I appreciate your comment. It's my pleasure to share my inspirational travels with you. Right, Europe has such a rich and colorful history, how can you not let your imagination soar? Cheers

      Delete
    2. Lee-Ann, I'm glad you enjoyed Marilyn's whimsical tour :)

      Delete
  7. Marilyn, As always your pictures and stories delight my heart, partly because it is familiar territory to me, since I lived in Wales for a time. Thanks for sharing your story once again! Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna, thanks for dropping by. I know there are spots in Italy and all across Europe that have inspired your stories. There are so many enriching stories to be told. Cheers

      Delete
    2. You're such a world traveler, Donna. No wonder your stories have such rich description!

      Delete
  8. What fun, being able to take an armchair tour of England this morning! I enjoyed learning how each of the sites inspired your story. Thanks for sharing, Marilyn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda, thanks for dropping in to my "lovely" tour. I hope it brings sweet memories for your time in England. I know you have many places and happenings that stir your writer's mind. Your books are always written so well, and tell such compelling stories. Cheers

      Delete
    2. Amanda, I agree. Didn't you just love being wrapped in England from the comfort of your home? And such a delightful, homey post! Marilyn, you are quite the story teller :)

      Delete
  9. Fantastic pictures, Marilyn. Thanks for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy to see you hear, Barbara. I'm glad you enjoyed the pix. And I love the beauty of your book covers that display your primary characters from the biblical stories you tell of heroic women. Cheers

      Delete
    2. Thanks for stopping by, Barbara!

      Delete
  10. Excellent presentation! Great job, Marilyn. Thank you Audra for offering this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, Rolph, you've personally seen the joys and beauty of England that influence your fantasy stories. I appreciate you dropping in. Cheers

      Delete
    2. Can't wait to see how England has influenced your fantasy work, Roulf! Thanks for stopping in today :)

      Delete
  11. As I contemplate my own trip to England in the next year, I have a list of approximately eleventy-billion sites I want to see...and your post today has added to the list! I dream of walking the ruins of abbeys and castles and dreaming of all who walked there before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erica, there's nothing like it. The sense that you're sharing in the experience of a special place that has existed for, literally, thousands of years can take your breath away. I have more pix of England on my website if you'd like to see more. The link is above. Enjoy planning, and enjoy your trip. Soak it all in. Cheers

      Delete
    2. Oh Erica! I can't wait to hear of your adventures and if you visited all eleventy-billion of them!! LOL!

      Delete
  12. Hi Marilyn,
    I'm salivating over your pictures and I can't wait to see the UK first hand. Berdie is a joy, and I'm looking forward to your next book!!

    Hugs,
    L.A. Sartor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping in, LA. You're going to love all the amazing sights in the UK. Excited for you as you prepare to go. I have a Berdie manuscript in my publisher's in-box. I'll keep you informed.

      Delete
    2. I loved the story surrounding all the pics. That was an adventure in itself! Thanks for stopping by, Leslie!!

      Delete
  13. Loved viewing the pictures from England. Our daughter lived there for 3 years and we did a bit of touring...these bring back good memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you were able to call up great memories. Thanks for coming by. Cheers

      Delete
  14. Lovely, Marilyn. We lived in Germany and crossed the British Channel for a delightful trip to England. Dover Castle was a favorite. I'm hoping to return in the not-too-distant future. Last year, we toured Ireland. Wonderful castles there, as well!

    Great photos! You took me back to our time in the UK!

    Happy All Hallow's Eve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Debby. It must have a treat to live in Germany. I hope you can go back and enjoy more European and UK beauty soon. And happy All Hallows to you, too. Cheers

      Delete
  15. Marilyn, thank you for being with us this week! I loved your post and these photos. Thanks for the virtual tour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy, you are so welcome. I hope you have a grand All Saints Day. Cheers

      Delete
  16. Marilyn, so enjoyed this tour of England's abbey ruins and priories. It brought back memories of a visit to Fountains Abbey in Yorkshire a few years ago and last year to Sudeley Castle where we saw the crypt of Katherine Parr, the last wife of Henry VIII. Such rich history in the Isles. Your ability to travel to the locations where your novels are set only adds more depth to your exciting stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat Jeanne, thank you so much for coming by the site. I thought about posting pictures of Sudeley, because of it being an inhabited castle with a wonderful estate church. But I had to narrow my choices. I'm glad it brings up enriching memories for you. I hope your English WWII romance rocks the charts. Cheers

      Delete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."