Friday, November 1, 2019

What a Mentor Can Do For You (Plus an Inside Look at Sunrise Publishing) Guest Post by Lindsay Harrel

What a Mentor Can Do For You (Plus an Inside Look at Sunrise Publishing) Guest Post by Lindsay Harrel
No matter what career path you’re following, one thing rings true of them all: having a mentor can make all the difference in where you end up.

Whether we’re authors or not (hello to all you non-writing readers out there!), everyone needs support to pursue a passion and career fraught with challenges—and writing is definitely THAT.

One of those challenges is loneliness. We authors spend a lot of time with our rears in the seat talking to characters who talk back—but only in our heads. And while craft books are helpful and online courses can be great, nothing quite takes the place of real-life people who will walk the sometimes-perilous writing road with us.

Sometimes those people are walking alongside you—your critique partners, for example. Other times, you need fellow authors who are willing to take you by the hand and lead you.

Merriam-Webster defines mentor as “a trusted counselor or guide,” so I can’t think of anyone better to help us navigate a path that we haven’t walked before.

I’ve been super blessed to have a handful of mentors who have helped me get to where I am in my publishing journey, and who continue to guide me even after I’ve achieved publication—because though it may sometimes feel like it, being published is not the be-all-end-all. A mentor can help you navigate the way no matter where you are in your journey.

The Benefits of Mentorship


In my opinion, the main benefits of having a mentor in my life have been:


  • The opportunity to see things in a different light: I can get so focused on my own knowledge and way of thinking that I forget other perspectives exist. A trusted mentor can expose me to thinking that’s more advanced and just plain different.
  • Guidance in strengthening my weaknesses: Most of the time, it’s hard to see ourselves—and our writing—objectively. A mentor can help us to find areas of weakness in our craft and suggest edits or ways to improve.
  • Help navigating my career path: Not only have my mentors been pivotal in making me a better writer, but they’ve given advice that has helped to shape the decisions I make. 


What to Look for in a Mentor


Now that we all agree having a mentor can be monumental in our writing careers, what makes a good mentor? For me, there are three main things I have sought in a mentor:

  • A heart for others
  • A passion for what she or he does
  • Up-to-date knowledge on the latest trends and news in the industry


How to Find a Mentor


So how in the world do you go about getting connected with a mentor in the first place? There are a ton of writing groups on Facebook and other social media platforms that are great for connecting with other authors. Also, I’ve met a lot of authors simply by emailing or reaching out after I enjoyed one of their books. (Though I wouldn’t suggest reaching out in order to get something back, but more to invite someone into a friendship!)

 If you’re a member of a writing organization like American Christian Fiction Writers or something similar, there are plenty of resources at your disposal. For example, ACFW has several loops where you can connect with other members across and in certain genres, etc.
Lindsay Harrel and Susan May Warren

Another such resource is writing conferences, where you can meet authors at all stages of the game—from complete newbies to multi-published winners of writing award after writing award. Take the opportunity to get to know authors who are ahead of you in their writing journey. If you click with anyone, open a dialogue and see if that author might be open to mentorship.

The way I found one of my mentors was originally to pay for her knowledge—in other words, I took a class she was offering. There are so many good courses out there, but Susan May Warren’s My Book Therapy was where I really cut my teeth as an author and learned exactly what I needed to know about how to write a novel.

One of the coolest benefits of having a mentor? For me, Susie has become much more than a mentor. She’s now a friend—and a partner too! Earlier this year, we started Sunrise Publishing, a publishing venture that combines mentorship and partnership between established authors and newer authors.

Sunrise Publishing: Taking Mentorship to the Next Level


Specifically, Sunrise is designed to help launch new or rebooting authors into the readership of an existing author, build the existing fictional world of the lead author, and offer readers a remedy to the story hole they are seeking to fill.

Here’s how it works: Every year Sunrise will choose a lead author in one particular genre. (Susie will be the lead author in year one, so we can work out the kinks!) Once we decide on the kind of stories the lead author is looking for, we put out a request for submissions. (Our first deadline is November 10! You can check out our submission process here.)

Once the lead author picks the draft authors, they will start working on stories. Over the course of the year, the lead author will mentor the draft authors (with the help of Sunrise) to create six novels.

These novels will be traditionally published (print, ebook, and audio) over the course of the following year on all platforms.

Our main criteria is voice. We are not looking for someone with a platform, but instead, draft authors who are interested in learning, understand the basics of writing, and are willing to work hard. Most of all, we are looking for serious authors who want to launch their careers. (If you’re one such author, see our Writer’s Guidelines for more information.)

I know that whoever gets to work with Susie next year will be so incredibly blessed! Not only will they get a chance to work with someone who exudes all the ideal characteristics of a mentor I mentioned above, but partnering with Sunrise will help them discover their place in the market—and, hopefully, it will remind them they’re not alone in this writing thing after all.

Question for You: Do you have a mentor? If so, how did you connect with him or her? If not, what do you look for in a mentor? And do you have any questions about Sunrise Publishing? I’d love to answer anything you may be curious about! 


Giveaway: Lindsay is offering one of Susan May Warren’s Deep Haven novels (reader’s choice) to a U.S. resident. Choices can be seen here: https://sunrisepublishing.com/upcoming-series/.


Lindsay Harrel is a CBA best-selling novelist and lifelong book nerd who lives in Arizona with her young family and two golden retrievers in serious need of training. With more than 13 years of editing and writing experience, Lindsay now juggles stay-at-home mommyhood with writing novels for HarperCollins Christian Publishing and working as Editorial Director at Sunrise Publishing. She has a passion for not only helping authors improve their stories and find their voice, but also getting messages of hope out into the world. Connect with her at www.LindsayHarrel.com.

22 comments:

  1. Wow, there is a lot in this post....

    Lindsay, welcome aboard and what an interesting proposition. How fun to couple up with Susan to launch the publishing company, but I've got some practical questions for our readers/aspiring authors.

    What costs are involved? I saw that draft authors need to go to the brainstorming conference in January. Is that a free offer? Or do they pay for travel, lodging, etc?

    And how are they paid for their novels? Is there an advance like in traditional publishing or is it strictly governed by sales across multiple platforms?

    Who is responsible for paying the authors? Is there a separate entity set up to do this aside from personal accounts?

    Is there a first run printing or is this done as print-on-demand, similar to indie publishing?

    I love mentoring people. I was honored to be advised by Karen White and Madeline Hunter when I was an aspiring novelist, but pay was never part of the equation, so this ups the ante exponentially.

    I'm not against paying for schooling/teaching/writers' courses, don't get me wrong, but I've been in this business long enough to know that new writers or aspiring authors are so eager to succeed that they might jump without looking at all the options. And that can be a serious problem later on.

    I love the initiative but would love for our readers to see more of the financial facts attached. I looked at the website and didn't see them there, either. Maybe I missed them? Looking forward to your reply!

    Serious talk deserves serious coffee.... Done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, these are great questions. Always trust you to look at the practical side. Nothing works if you can't afford it.'
      KB

      Delete
    2. I also noticed that there was no mention of the cost for the January 2020 conference, which is not too far away. Although the website does say they don't pay an advance, but pay royalties. One part of the site says they do audio books, e-books and print, and then there's another part seems to say audio books are a "maybe". I think this is a "novel" (no pun intended!) idea to start off new authors, but nowhere do I see anything that clarifies whose name is actually ON the two 60K books that the "draft author" writes. Is it under the Lead author's name or the Draft author's name?

      Delete
    3. Sunrise held a Facebook chat and addressed some of those great questions about finances. I think the video is still posted on the Sunrise Publishing website. :)
      Lee-Ann

      Delete
    4. Hey Ruth! Thanks for your awesome questions. :)

      Q: What costs are involved? I saw that draft authors need to go to the brainstorming conference in January. Is that a free offer? Or do they pay for travel, lodging, etc?
      A: Lodging is completely covered (we have an Air BnB) and they'll receive a stipend for travel expenses. They might have to cover a few meals, but most will be provided.

      Q: And how are they paid for their novels? Is there an advance like in traditional publishing or is it strictly governed by sales across multiple platforms?
      A: Sunrise can't do advances at this time, but we will do a competitive royalty split between the publisher, lead author, and draft author.

      Q: Who is responsible for paying the authors? Is there a separate entity set up to do this aside from personal accounts?
      A: Sunrise is an LLC and we will pay the authors on a regular basis through the business entity.

      Q: Is there a first run printing or is this done as print-on-demand, similar to indie publishing?
      A: We are still deciding on the details, but we will probably do a combination of these. We are seeking out distributors to try to get print copies in bookstores and libraries, etc.

      You said, "I'm not against paying for schooling/teaching/writers' courses, don't get me wrong, but I've been in this business long enough to know that new writers or aspiring authors are so eager to succeed that they might jump without looking at all the options. And that can be a serious problem later on." I totally agree! We are definitely not looking to take advantage of authors and their desire to get published (not saying YOU'RE saying that, but wanted to clarify). We want to help launch authors into a lasting career.

      Delete
    5. Laurie, you asked about whose name will be on the books the draft author writes. Both the lead author and the draft author's names will! :) That way the draft author begins to build an audience and can start with the lead author's already established one.

      Delete
    6. Thank you for clarifying that for me/us, Lindsay!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for joining us, Lindsay! I'm sure we'll have lots of questions and comments about mentoring and Sunrise!

    I brought out the fruit tray and fresh cinnamon rolls, let's chat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for having me, Beth!! Cinnamon rolls sound fantastic. Yum! :) (Good thing they're virtual though...I ate waaaaay too much of my kids' Halloween candy last night.)

      Delete
  3. Oh, this is seriously the best idea I've heard for In A While. And so needed. I've never been formally mentored by an established author, but I've had decent critique partners. The caveat was that while they knew craft, they weren't always aware of what the market was doing. I couldn't have made it this far without them or entities like the Seekers. I would love to have done a "My Book Therapy" or one of those Love Inspired things where the editor works alongside you.
    That said, it's important to realize that mentoring, critique partnering and other relationships only work if you want them to. The other day I was talking with the Ruthy one on another blog (really people, I do not have anything better to do), and I mentioned that I am starting out at the bottom of a brand-new profession at 68. Part of that is God's timing, but a lot of that was me. I thought I knew it all and ignored advice, or tweaked it to fit what I thought I should be doing. There are no shortcuts, but sometimes I wonder what I could have avoided if I'd listened.
    Again, this is a fantastic idea and I can't wait to see how it turns out -- or read some of these newly-minted authors.
    Kathy Bailey
    Older and hope wiser in NH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, I'm sure that listening is always a factor, but sometimes the biggest factor is being prepared. I take it right back to Girl Scouts of the 70's.... Be prepared. The more we write, the more we have ready to submit, the more we produce... the more prepared we are. And with that preparation comes taking advice as needed from critiques, trying new ideas, branching out, being a presence here and there, but mostly (in my Seeker mentoring opinion!!!) is to keep working, keep believing, and every time you feel like stopping, either do it...

      Or don't.

      :)

      I saw a facebook thread the other day and everyone was telling this new author that if she needed a break, she should take it.

      I said the exact opposite.

      What job in the real world allows that? Almost none.

      So yeah, we have to push ourselves when we don't want to, when other things call us away, when we're tempted to run to the mall or to Starbucks or to have lunch with the girls or the guys or the neighborhood council on clean homes. (Note that I'm not talking life-changing factors like family with cancer, fighting illness, death, divorce... I'm talking daily choice here.)

      I believe we get out of this pretty much what we put into it, and I've seen people be unable to fulfill contracts, unable to keep commitments because they don't treat this as a job, and frankly, with what publishers are facing today, (there's a link to a really good post on the future of publishing in tomorrow's Weekend Edition) publishers can't step out easily.

      My thoughts on this are: Mentoring is wonderful... but you still have to do the work, and if it's not making you money you can live on, a living wage, or the promise of a living wage (I kept my day job for years. My night job, too, until book #3 was released) then why would we do this? A very important lesson I've shared with hundreds is always look at Return on Investment. That ROI is clutch for people running their own small business. And that's what writers are. People running their own small business. The business of writing.

      Delete
    2. Kathy, thanks so much for your enthusiasm!

      "There are no shortcuts, but sometimes I wonder what I could have avoided if I'd listened." So true! It's easy to have regrets, but it sounds like you're in a much better place now BECAUSE you went through what you did. I think we all need to allow ourselves some grace. There are always growing pains. You know better now, and you can move forward much more efficiently and wiser than before.

      Blessings on your journey! I think it's AWESOME that you're pursuing your dream, whatever your age may be. It's never too late to pursue the things God has for us, right?

      Delete
  4. Wonderful post with so much to think about. Mentoring is so important and I think it's timely that this post falls on All Saints' Day. We were just talking in our family devotional time this morning about how much we need people in our lives who can show us in real ways how faithful God has been and how they have lived out their own faith. So mentoring in life--not just in our writing life--is a really good thing!

    I love the idea of your publishing group. I'll be interested to hear more as the conversation gets going today. Thanks so much for being here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Glynis! Thanks so much for your sweet words. I love what you said. Yes! Mentoring is essential in our everyday lives as well as our careers. It's such an encouragement for me to see women who are faithfully walking with God still ... despite what he has allowed them to walk through. As a young mom, it's also wonderful to get advice from moms with older children. They still remember how tough it is, but they have the benefit of perspective. They can remind me that certain things are NOT the end of the world (and that my kids probably won't turn out to be criminals despite the way they've been acting lately...LOL).

      Delete
    2. I should say a mom of littles. I am not really that young. :P

      Delete
  5. Hi Lindsay, thanks for sharing with us today.

    Our local library offered a writer in residence program where prospective writers could sit in on weekly seminars and have a one hour mentoring session after the author had a chance to critique one chapter of a work in progress. Honestly, it was the best thing I ever did - handing in a work in progress and having a sit down with her. She really helped me to understand external conflict - it was one of those lightbulb moments.
    There's such value in having a mentor but SO HARD to find someone willing to do it.

    I am THRILLED about Sunrise Publishing. This is such an amazing idea and an incredible opportunity for anyone who submits.

    May God bless your partnership, and everyone who participates.
    Can't wait to see how things work out for your new endeavour.

    Blessings,
    Lee-Ann B
    (PS I'm north of the border so don't enter my name for the draw.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lee-Ann. I'm so glad you're thrilled. We are too. We can't wait to see what God will do!

      And YES! Our library actually does something similar, and I've had friends who participated in that. What a great opportunity and service that provides.

      You mentioned that it can be difficult to find other authors willing. I personally think a lot are WILLING, but TIME is always a factor (whether we are talking everyday life mentoring or writing specifically). I know that I want to be better about making myself available to authors who need a boost of encouragement as well as specific craft advice. So many authors gave to me and my journey, and I want to give back too. It's a beautiful circle. :)

      Delete
  6. Lindsay, thanks so much for being with us today to answer questions! I think this is a really interesting publishing venture and am interested in finding out more. Thanks for the great info! I wish you and Susie the best with Sunrise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Missy!! We are praying big things for this venture. <3

      Delete
  7. I absolutely love this God-inspired model of mentorship, publication, and platform building. What an amazing opportunity and blessing it would be to be involved in such a venture!

    As my kids have gotten older, I've prayed about my empty-nester years, and I believe that a career in writing is where God is leading me. I'm not waiting to start learning until my children fly the coop though. Now is the time to dive into study, write regularly, and (hopefully!) find a mentor.

    I can't make it to a writing conference anytime soon, but I'm headed downtown for a local Author Fair later today. I'll introduce myself to you there, Lindsay. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."