Friday, January 3, 2020

Preparing for 2020

by Mindy Obenhaus

Suppose you were going to embark on a journey. A long, twelve-month journey. Would you set out on your trip without a map or knowing where you wanted to go, or would you have a few stops in mind, perhaps things you’d like see along the way?

Chances are you would have at least one goal, if not many. Why not approach a new year the same way, while the calendar (or much of it, anyway) is still blank? After all, life is a journey. So find a moment to press the Pause button on life, grab cuppa whatever, along with a pen and paper and ask yourself this question: What are my goals for 2020?

Okay, now before you roll your eyes and politely inform me that you don’t make New Year’s resolutions, hear me out. I’m not talking about lofty, pie-in-the-sky notions such as “I want to make the best seller list” or “I want to win the lottery.” Those are things you have absolutely no control over. What I’m asking you to think about are those things you do have control over. What are some realistic things you’d like to accomplish in the next twelve months?

As an example, here’s my list from last year that I entitled Goals, Wishes and Dreams.

  • Four-book contract for new series (I was finishing up the last book in another series that would fulfill my current contract, so this was in realm of possibility)
  • Quarterly newsletters
  • Posts on my personal blog
  • Attend RWA
  • Attend ACFW
  • Shop Round Top Week (twice-a-year massive antique fair not far from where I live, yet I never seem to get there)
  • Visit Ouray
  • Get back on my eating program
  • Write a holiday book
  • Update camphouse
Ten items. Things I had hoped to accomplish. Things that were a guide, pointing me in the right direction as I journied through 2019. I kept it in the back of my calendar and recently revisited it to see how I fared. 

The results?
  • I received a contract for the four-book series.
  • To my surprise, I mananged ten newsletters.
  • Not one post on my personal blog, which now has me considering eliminating it.
  • I was able to attend both RWA and ACFW.
  • My daughter and I made it to Round Top last spring for a day of combing for treasures.
  • I did not make it to Ouray. Maybe in 2020.
  • However, I did get back on my eating plan.
  • I did not write a holiday book, though there was one in my new series proposal so I will be writing one soon.
  • And we painted the inside of our camphouse and did some much-needed purging.
Seven out of ten isn’t bad. It was exciting to tick off those things I’d actually accomplished. Like I said, they don’t have to be big things, just things that are important to you. Things you may be procrastinating on. Two years ago, my number one goal was to learn how to make a meme. I’m still not great at it, but at least I know how.

Listen, I've spent many a year floundering through life. Sure I had ideas of things I wanted to do, but there's something that happens when you write them down. Like a contract you've made with yourself. And while there's nothing binding about it, suddenly you want to approach things more purposefully. As though something in your brain clicks and says, "Okay, this is what I want to achieve, so what steps am I going to take to make it happen?"

So let's chat about this. Tell me one thing you'd like to do this year. Nothing is too small. Perhaps you simply want to clean out that closet that's been taunting you forever. Whatever it is, I'd like to know. And then we'll meet up again next year and see how we did.





Three-time Carol Award nominee, Mindy Obenhaus, writes contemporary romance for Love Inspired Books. She’s passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. When she’s not writing, she enjoys cooking and spending time with her grandchildren at her Texas ranch. Learn more at www.mindyobenhaus.com


32 comments:

  1. Thanks Mindy for sharing. I like your idea better than making a resolution that will inevitably be broken (I heard the stats once and let's just say, it's better not to make one!). One thing I'd like to accomplish in 2020 - getting a publishing deal. :) Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee-Ann, I hope you get that publishing deal. Yes, it is much less intimidating to write a list of achievable goals. Even if you only accomplish one or two of the items on that list, you'll be able to say that you did it.

      Delete
  2. Great post, Mindy! I like how you shared what your goals were and which ones you accomplished. My goals presently are to finish my final read-through of my manuscript and send it to my craft partner, to write up and send out a proposal, to brainstorm my next story and to write and edit it before December. I would also like to purge my house this year. It's time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanne, I'm not only a visual person, I like examples, so I had to share my list. Sounds like you have a pretty good list of attainable goals going. Can't wait to hear what a productive year you have.

      Delete
    2. Jeanne, agree with you about purging. I'm pretty good about the main part of the house, but the basement is a disaster. Marie Kondo would call 9-1-1. I'm tired of "it will come in handy some day" because it, like, doesn't.
      Will you be posting your devotionals again? Hope so.
      KB

      Delete
  3. I don't do resolutions, but this year I am doing goals. I would like to write and edit a manuscript to query with by next year and do four blog posts a month. I have a few other ones for my job and my family and that's about it. Seems doable if I just do it LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glynis, you are wise woman. "Seems doable if I just do it." Like I said, break it into small steps. What do you need to do to achieve each goal, then do a little at a time.

      Delete
    2. Glynis, I agree. Resolutions are not the same as goals. Goals are much better.

      Delete
    3. The fact is, I've never been very good at either. I am someone that likes to feel accomplished, but I have many many unfinished projects sitting around mocking me :) So I decided this was the year to change that. We'll see how it goes!

      Delete
    4. All right, Glynis, here's your cape. Now go show those unfinished projects who's boss, then toss your head back and laugh victoriously when they're completed. ;)

      Delete
  4. Love this post. My goals this year are simple. One I have is to buy another TV Tray next time I am in Walmart so I can keep my laptop always ready and not have to put it away when I want to eat.

    I want to make progress on each of my writing projects. I know nothing is ready for publication yet. I want to develop and continue learning how to write.

    I also plan to attend a writing conference in my area to boost up my knowledge and skill in writing. I have wanted to attend for several years but never had the money. This year I do.

    I want to read more. I set a modest goal in Goodreads of 50. But in my mind the goal is to read 150 to 200.This is feasible as long as health will allow it and I have no control over my health issues. I have chronic vertigo issues from a permanent injury. Barometric pressure makes it worse. So a lot will depend on how many rainy days we have in the year. Rainy days make it difficult to read and write.

    Praying this year will be a great year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wilani, it is good to hear from you, hope you are feeling better.
      KB

      Delete
    2. Hi Wilani! Good to see you here!

      Your goals don't only sound attainable, but you've already planned the steps you need to take to fulfill them! I see a year of steady progress ahead for you. :-)

      Delete
    3. Wilani, I'm with Jan. It sounds as though you've already got a plan set in place. I'm sorry the weather messes with your vertigo, though. That's rough. But I love everything else. I'll be praying you get to make it to that writers conference. Just being around other writers can be so uplifting.

      Delete
    4. Hi, Wilani, all those books sounds great! Hope your health will let you :-)

      Delete
  5. Good post, Mindy. One thing? I can't narrow it down, so much that needs doing, but my goal is to do them CALMLY and in the Spirit. Goals are better than resolutions because you can't break a goal, you can just shrug your shoulders and roll it over to the next month. Or the next year.

    Kathy Bailey
    Speaking from experience in New Hampshire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, Kathy. Goals are less stressful. We don't feel like we've failed because we know we'll get to it eventually. Now about your basement... ;)

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the encouragement and example, Mindy! It reminded me to take a look back at 2019. Even though my writing goals weren't accomplished like I wanted, many other parts of my life went through major, unexpected changes. I hope the pendulum will swing back to writing this year!

    I'm with Glynis - my goals are attainable if I just DO THEM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, I have no doubt you would prefer a less chaotic year. Doesn't it feel wonderful to be settled (or almost) and know that you're going to be staying put for a good while? Not to mention all the fun you'll have with Jack.

      Delete
  7. I need to make my list for 2020. Congrats of achieving so many of your goals in 2019!

    Are you going to RWA this year? I'm fluctuating. Anyone else planning to attend?

    Happy New Year to all! We're in the middle of a flu outbreak. Taking hubby back to the doctor today. I'm sure what started as bronchitis has morphed into the flu. Praying I don't get it. My current focus is to stay strong and healthy!

    Love to all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby, so sorry about the flu outbreak. Praying hubby feels better soon and that you don't catch anything. It's tough being caregiver, isn't it. Like serving on the front lines. ;)

      I am not going to RWA this year. Mostly because it's in San Francisco and I don't care to go there. I hate to miss all of the Harlequin stuff, though.

      Delete
    2. Debby, I hope your hubby feels better soon.

      Delete
  8. I want to spend more time being creative with my crafts. I’ve let them fall by the wayside. Blessings and Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucy, doing crafts, allowing our creativity to flow, is almost healing.

      Delete
  9. My goals ... finish and revise my WIP; keep up with Bible study at church where we are doing an Old Testament survey that's been very thought-provoking; keep walking; and get back on track with "clean" eating. Hope everyone meets most or all of their goals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, I hear you on getting back on track with "clean" eating. I tend to indulge during the holidays, so January is always a process. Sounds like you have your goals in mind and they're attainable. We just need to be diligent, which isn't always easy once the weather turns nice.

      Delete
  10. Great post, Mindy. I have so many goals. Every summer when I am off substitute teaching, I make a goal of projects around the house but rarely get to any of them. Then there are my writing goals. My goal this year is to continue working on those household projects and to get my novel revised.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, sounds like you just need to come up with a viable plan to tackle those projects around the house. Perhaps you could prioritize them. Who knows, just getting one knocked out may be enough to spur you on with the rest. Try to break them down into bite-size pieces so they won't seem so monumental and you won't need to carve out a huge chunk of time. You can do it, Sandy!

      Delete
    2. BTW, I'm in taking down/putting away Christmas stuff today, which ended up being a hey-let's-clean-out-this-closet-so-we'll-have-more-room project, so I feel your pain.

      Delete
    3. Mindy, I actually do have my projects broken down into pieces, like drawer-by-drawer. But it feels like by the time I get drawers cleaned out, they need organized again! But I will get it!

      Delete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."