Monday, February 10, 2020

Stay in Faith by Guest Christy LaShea



Christy LaShea

Happy, Happy Monday! Wow! I hope you all are well, wherever you are in this world. I am so excited to be here in Seekerville today. As a new writer, I stuck close to this blog. I had the honor of meeting several Seekers at ACFW conferences… this would have been sometime during 2007 to 2012. I was also a guest here in 2009. Search the archives and you’ll find me!
I’m telling my writer age here… I’ve been around a long time.  

Y’all, (can I say y’all? I am from the south, you know ;)) I’ve been trying to get published for about 20 years. If you count the stories I wrote in middle school, well, that’s longer than 20! I believe being a writer takes talent, imagination, and a whole lot of faith. That’s faith in yourself and, more important, in God. 
 I’ve got to be honest. I’ve struggled with fear for a long time, but only recently have I admitted the issue. I’m stubborn and red-headed. My salty stubbornness only got worse after I turned 40. Oh, I’m a nice person. If we meet, you may think sugar won’t melt in my mouth, but there are two sides to every story. For me, I’ve got several sides. I love the Lord and I pray a lot – usually while driving in the car or in the shower. I’m stubborn. I’m sweet. I’m scared. I started getting honest with myself about fear when in 2017 so many of my writer friends, even those that started after me were getting published and I wasn’t. Don’t get me wrong, I try to be cheerleaders for all of my friends. I am thrilled for them, but I had to look at myself and ask why I was parked in neutral. I’d push the gas, but doggone it…it was like the emergency brake was on, and stuck!
My problem, I finally figured out after nearly 20 years of contest wins and final spots, but no publication, was that I feared rejection. You see, I would pitch my heart out at conferences. I’d get requests! Then, I’d get home, look over my work in progress and I’d point out all of the things wrong with it. Or, I’d polish the first 3 chapters a million times and when I sent the full manuscript to the publisher, the rest of it was like an uncooked casserole! Who wants that let down?
Here’s an example of that half baked casserole… In 2009, my manuscript, The Bridge Between, won in the Contemporary Romance category of the ACFW Genesis Contest.  

Mindy Obenhaus and I at ACFW Conference Denver 2009 – Mindy’s a wonderful roommate and has a stunning fashion sense! And she’s got a great way with words! Love her stories!

Wow! I just knew my publishing career was set by that win. Plus, a New York publisher had requested it from the Genesis Contest. So I sent the full manuscript, and by 2010 I got a rejection letter. The editor said she wanted to like it, but…
Hey, y’all, if it’s not in God’s time, in His plan, then it’s not going to happen. 

Ane Mulligan and I were both Genesis Finalists in 2009. Awesome and funny writer!


Missy Tippens and I after the ACFW awards gala 2009.Missy has always been one of my sweetest cheerleaders, mentors, and she’s a wonderful writer!

After the 2010 rejection, life went on. My second child was born and my family rejoiced. Then, I changed positions at work. Soon I found myself in a spiral that involved high stress at work, little time for family or anything else, and a lot of confusion as the years plodded ahead. Despite all of the difficulty, I continued to think of new storylines even though my writing time was less and less. When I was able to write, creating the manuscripts helped me escape that stressful time in life. Eventually, unable to take the pressure of the job any longer, I transferred out of the department. The relief of stress on me was a true blessing. 
By 2018, I received more nods from contests as the manuscript finaled, but fear kept choking my creativity. I didn’t have the finances to self publish. I wanted to be a traditionally published author but I didn’t write cookie-cutter stories. My stories were a little gritty. Where did they fit in? I started considering maybe I shouldn’t write Christian fiction. I could write sweet but not have the spiritual arc… That voice inside my heart started talking: 
“I’m not good enough.”
“No one wants to read my stories.”
“I should just quit.”
I’d started praying more. Instead of praying for a publishing contract, I prayed for God to take the desire away from me. I’d be happier if I could focus on something else if I wasn’t meant to be a published author. 
 As I have struggled with fear, I’ve also struggled with knowing when God is speaking to me. God has never told me to do something or go somewhere. I’ve never heard his powerful voice from Heaven. Instead, He speaks to me by pressing something upon my conscience that I can’t release until the deed is done. Sometimes the feeling is so heavy it’s like someone is sitting on my shoulders. I will do anything to get this off of my shoulders and if I don’t, I feel really bad about it! 
In the spring of 2018, I had something bothering me about my health that I had been ignoring for quite some time. I had not seen a doctor in four years.  As a busy, working wife and mom of two, I made sure everyone else went to the doctor. That pressing feeling began to infiltrate my thoughts that this lump I felt in my left breast had been there for a long time. It wasn’t going away and it wasn’t getting smaller. Still, I ignored it a little while longer.
Meanwhile, I’m trying to write new stories, but a story I had worked on for a long time, the same one that won Genesis, would not leave my heart. I couldn’t put “The Bridge Between” in a drawer and move on. I kept shopping it, kept pitching it, kept tweaking… By March of 2018, I had an email from an editor which indicated interest in the story, but she requested changes. A revise and resubmit letter! I’d never gotten one of those! I agreed with the changes and knew the story needed something but I couldn’t understand what...
By May of 2018, that nudging, annoying, pressing feeling would not let go of me. I saw a new doctor and told her about the lump that had been bothering me. I’d never had a mammogram as women at 40 are instructed to do. My family didn’t have a history of breast cancer. Following a diagnostic mammogram and an ultrasound on the same day, the radiologist came in to the ultrasound room and somberly advised that the results were very serious and he would notify my doctor immediately. In July of 2018, at 43 years old, I began treatments for Stage 3 breast cancer. 
Earlier, I mentioned I was stubborn. Well, this is the time when my stubbornness jumped to a whole new level. A cancer diagnosis was not going to be the end for me. Irritated worse than the Tasmanian devil, I put on my big girl pants and I faced those cancer treatments. On the first infusion, I took my laptop thinking I could revise while I went through chemo. That didn’t work out too well, but what I learned was that God is at work everywhere! 
God has put some of the kindest nurses in those infusion centers. He has sent friends and family my way to pass on what they learned from their own journeys. He also showed me through this journey that I have friends everywhere. Friends across the country that I did not even know that were praying for me. Y’all, I received so many cards and letters, it was humbling.  People from my church brought food. Others were at the hospital waiting with my family to offer them comfort. I am truly blessed and forever grateful.

I had to take multiple forms of chemotherapy from July 2018 until June 2019. Radiation followed in the fall of 2019. My body went through many changes.  Some of those changes were painful – emotionally and physically. In the photo below, my daughter and I are in the pre-op room in July of 2018 on the day I receive my chemo port. This was the first of many trips to the hospital, but as you can see, we try to remain in good and goofy spirits.




No hair, don’t care! September 2018

Despite chemo treatments, continuing to work full time, and stay involved with my children’s activities, I finished the revisions for my story. Those past rejections seemed small after being slapped with a cancer diagnosis. God had given me another chance and I was determined that cancer was not going to take over my life. Life is precious, it can be short. If you want something, you have to go after it, each and every day. So, I did…

Christmas 2018, before my first mastectomy.
By the end of 2018, I had my first surgery, a left mastectomy. Prior to surgery, I sent the manuscript back to the requesting editor. She rejected it again with an invite to resubmit if I made additional changes. By this time, I felt I needed a different editor to look at it to help me figure out what was wrong. 
Here’s another nod from God… About that time, my good friend and fellow author Patty Smith Hall posted that she was looking to edit manuscripts on the side and needed some clients. I sent Patty some of my chapters, but I never ended up hiring her. Instead, Patty told me about a contest her publisher, Winged Publications, was holding. By August of 2019, my manuscript was a finalist. And by September 2019, Patty called me to tell me I’d placed 2nd in the contest, but Cynthia Hickey at Winged Publications wanted to publish my book! 
We made a round of revisions, we moved the black moment (I had it happening too early), and by November of 2019, two things happened. I had a right mastectomy and six days later, my first book, Hope Between Us, was released. Talk about multi-tasking… I never imagined I’d be recovering from surgery while celebrating a book release! That’s life! My crazy life! 
I praise Jesus that I am cancer free today. I give all the glory to God. He heard the prayers of my family and friends and He answered! 
He also ignored my prayer to take away my desire to write! 
As God had a plan for me and my crazy dreams, He also has a plan for you. If you’re afraid of something, pray about it. Keep your ears, your eyes, and your mind open to Him.
 Stay strong in your faith, because God’s plan is bigger than any of our fears.
Thank you for having me on Seekerville today! If you’d like to find out more about me, visit me at my website. While you're there, please sign up for my newsletter! I’d also love to give away an autographed copy of Hope Between Us. If you’d like to be entered in the drawing, let us know in a comment here. I’m headed to my day job now, but I’ll jump in to chat later this afternoon and evening.

Hope Between Us: A Christian Romance
Aimee McClain returns home to Point Peace, Georgia, hoping for a fresh start. She wants to find a new treatment for her seven-year-old son’s Aplastic Anemia. After the devastating loss of her parents and her husband Aimee can’t lose someone else she loves, but as a single mom with limited resources, she’s running out of time and her son’s life is at stake.
Ever since being behind the wheel the night his best friend died, Seth Garrett works hard to help people. He is a coach and a teacher, he helps his parents, he feels like his debt of sorry will never be paid. At first, Aimee is just another person who Seth can help, but soon he realizes her trouble is a lot more than fixing an old car. 

The Kevin Ridley Walk/Run, an event Seth started ten years earlier to honor his best friend, has garnered statewide attention and continues to raise money for underprivileged youth. When Aimee’s family asks Seth to help her organize a bone marrow drive and fundraiser for her son, he jumps at the chance to help the pretty widow and her adorable child. 
Aimee, fighting to make ends meet in the face of Luke’s illness and single parenthood, doesn’t like this interception with Seth. He may not remember her now, but Aimee knows in time the truth of Seth’s accident will come out. How can they continue a relationship, build a new life together, with this between them?
Author Bio:
Claims adjuster by day, writer all other times, Christy wrote her first book, a mystery, while in seventh grade. Currently, Christy writes heartwarming southern romance. Married to her high school sweetheart, Christy has a daughter, a son, and four fur-babies: Thomas: a nosey German Shepherd; Josie-Bobo: an adorable English Bulldog; and last but never least, Twitter and Ranger, two very loud Parakeets. Connect with Christy online:

65 comments:

  1. Welcome to Seekerville, Christy! You're an amazing writer and a beautiful woman. I'm so glad your story found its home! Great cover and the blurb hooked me at the get-go! You're also an inspiration! Your fight against cancer will help other women who are battling that same antagonist! So glad you "rang your bell" and endured the long upward climb to be cancer free! Continued prayers and love and mega congrats on your debut!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debby! I'm ready for another conference road trip, how about you?!

      Delete
  2. Christy, we're so happy to have you here today! You have such an inspirational story of persistence and strength. It's really scary to put yourself out there over and over after rejections. I think we have to build a tough hide without losing our sensitivity and creativity. It can be a long journey. I'm so glad you found that dream again and persisted. And now you have a book to hold in your hands! :) I know your story will motivate others to keep pursuing their dream of publication.

    I'm so excited about your debut!! It's in my TBR stack, and I can't wait to start it. It's next, after I finish reading my book club book for tonight's meeting! Yes, like usual, I'm finishing at the last minute. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for having me here Missy! You and Debby G probably read the manuscript in its very early stages. Thank you both for all of your support over these years.

      Delete
  3. By the way, Christy is at her day job today and will be us as soon as she possibly can! So go ahead and ask questions if you have any. She'll catch up this afternoon or evening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christy, I can relate to so much of this -- the long struggle (for me 20 years and change), the holding out for a royalty publisher, and the plea to "take the desire to write away," which didn't happen for me either. The only thing I didn't have was the cancer. Wow, you have truly been through the fire and I have such respect for you. Sometimes it's good to be stubborn.
    May be back later, have to go dig my car out of the snow.
    Kathy Bailey
    Wishing I was in Dixie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, you're another example of hanging in there and never giving up!

      I hope you find your car. :) Can you believe we got about 2 inches of snow on Saturday??!

      Delete
    2. Hi Kathy! Thanks for sharing your journey too. We had snow this weekend in GA and it was beautiful. But digging a car out does not sound like fun ;)

      Delete
  5. Such a testimony of perseverance and God's faithfulness through it all. Your book looks wonderful. I am very fearful of rejection as well, so I absolutely understand where you were coming from. This is so inspiring. Congratulations on the book and being cancer-free!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glynis, I'm the same with the fear--even after multiple rejections. But I'm a lot tougher now than I was in the beginning. :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you for being here today Glynis! I love the way you spell your name :)
      Keep pressing forward. Readers want to read your story. Ignore that voice of rejection and keep on submitting!

      Delete
  6. Christy, I'm so blessed by your story. Thank you for sharing. There is power in story, and God uses our stories to bridge connections and transform lives. And that's what he'd going to do with you and your story. I remember meeting you for the first time in 2009 cheering for you when you won--I took second place. God's timing is always perfect. So thrilled for your victories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, I'm glad you stopped by! You can tell in that photo in 2009 how excited I am for Christy and the rest of you. What an exciting night!

      I love what you said to Christy in your comment: "There is power in story, and God uses our stories to bridge connections and transform lives. And that's what he's going to do with you and your story."

      Amen to that!

      Delete
    2. Hi Lisa! Great to see you here! Yes! I remember 2009 well and meeting you then, but on many other occasions too... especially here in the blog world! And you were published soon after that year! Love it!

      Delete
  7. Welcome back to Seekervile. WOW. I am so glad that you have allowed God to work in your life, weather you wanted what He wanted or not. I love reading stories like yours. We all can learn from them. Blessings are only from above.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Christy, thank you for sharing your inspiring story. Congratulations on publishing your book and I'm so happy you are now cancer free. I can relate to fear. I have written my first novel but am just now getting back into it to revise and get it ready to submit for contests or publishers. I think fear has been holding me back.

    Today I have not gotten a substitute teaching job yet so I will plan to work on the writing today! Please enter me in the drawing. Your book looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, I'm so glad you're braving submitting your book! You can do this!

      Delete
    2. Good luck with submitting your book! You've got this! I hope you got a lot of writing done today. I love writing days like that when the words flow!

      Delete
  9. Christy,
    I have been sitting at my keyboard for over an hour this morning, having a pity party about writing that has stalled and a freelance job I don't like. I saw your post about your Seekerville post on Facebook and wandered on over (because I'm not getting anything done so let me procrastinate more). Well, that was about the only good decision I made all morning. What an inspiring story! I had no idea of all you've gone through to get to where you are today. I'm hitting myself with a wet noodle as I type this. I'm pulling up my big girl pants like you did (but for a much less trying situation) and pushing forward. Thanks for the shot in the arm! Congratulations! I can't wait to read your book and before I get back to work, I'm heading to your website to sign up for your newsletter. Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, I'm so glad you stopped by! Christy has been a huge inspiration to me and many others!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Missy! I've had a few writing obstacles this past year and I've missed Seekerville. I'm struggling with a book that's due all too soon, but it felt great to be here and get to know Christy. I'm going to stop by every day like I did for so many years before. Glad to chat with you!

      Delete
    3. Hi Christina!!! I'm smiling big after reading your post. Thank you for stopping by, my fellow Winged Publications author! Hey, everyone, our publisher just had a fun Facebook party last Month - it lasted ALL month long and Christina posted several times! Facebook Party rock star right here! I'm glad you procrastinated and stopped by! You will get that book finished! I've got one due in June... June is right around the corner!!!

      Delete
    4. How cool about the Facebook party! And yes, YOU CAN BOTH DO THIS! I'll be praying you meet your deadlines.

      Delete
  10. Christy, thank you for sharing your powerful testimony! Sure puts life in perspective! Thank you for the reminder that He is faithful! Blessings to you!

    Please enter me in the drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. CHRISTY!!!! I'm so proud of you. Of your persistence, your determination. You are a strong woman and an inspiration. Having read A Bridge Between in its early incarnations, I can't wait to read Hope Between Us. Hugs, Twinkie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mindy, I feel the same! I read an early version and can't wait to see how the book turned out! :) Lindi has been bragging on it, trying to tell me about some things Christy changed without giving me spoilers. haha

      Delete
    2. Thank you Mindy! I think of you often and you have always been a wonderful mentor to me. Hugs!
      Thanks Missy!! LOL on spoilers... at least we know it does end with an HEA!

      Delete
  12. Christy, thank you so much for being with us today. Your struggles and your courage will be an inspiration to so many, I'm sure.

    This is not an easy business.

    I'm going to repeat that just in case anyone missed it.

    This is not an easy business.

    It is rife with ups and downs and changes and do-overs and edits and rejections, but... and this is a huge caveat...

    I LOVE IT.

    A rejection just means I didn't ask the right people. And sometimes it means I've just got to indie publish something that doesn't quite fit the norm...

    Hang in there! I am praying for your full recovery and so glad you came by to hang with us today. Be strong!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, each time I get a rejection of any kind, I try to channel your wonderful attitude!

      Delete
    2. Thank you Ruthy! I like what you said: "A rejection just means I didn't ask the right people." It's a positive spin. Thank you for your prayers!!

      Delete
  13. Hi Christy!

    I'm so glad you stopped by to share your story today. I needed to hear it, and I can tell from the comments that I'm not the only one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by Jan! I appreciate your support so much!

      Delete
  14. Hi Christy:

    I liked your book blurb so much I immediately downloaded it and began reading at once. I was still reading at 2:10 am this morning.

    I like the theme and the freshness of your writing. I particularly enjoyed your description of how the heroine was reacting to meeting the hero. I could feel the electricity. There was no doubt that this was a romance.

    That romantic spark is often missing in some authors who have many books to their credit. I can't blame them. These experienced authors know that there are about 99 other things that a good romance requires and they are busy thinking about them.

    I did the same thing as a copywriter. After a copywriter has written 49 full newspaper page recliner ads, for example, it gets pretty hard to knockout the 50th one. Especially when the great ad you wrote is cancelled at the last minute because the chair is now out of stock and you have to write a new ad in minutes while the newspaper guy is waiting to take the proof back to the newspaper! As Ruth wrote above, writing is a hard business.

    In these cases it is often the new copywriter who comes up with the best and freshest ideas for an ad. Of course, it is her first recliner ad!

    Please keep that freshness as long as you can. As a test I like to ask this question after getting to the fifth page: "Is there any doubt, at this point, that this book is a romance?" Think about it.

    One more thing: I was really impressed by a single wonderful sentence that captured the whole scene in the beauty shop!

    For a few years I was a photographer and I have always admired a great photo that could capture the essence of an entire event. For example, there is a famous photo of VJ day in Times Square showing a sailor kissing a nurse which says it all. (Note: they had never met before that photo!)

    (https://www.cnn.com/2015/08/14/us/vj-day-kissing-sailor/index.html_)

    You did this in words at the beauty shop where customers and the heroine's female relatives are trying to matchmake for the heroine. The hero is getting a hair cut from the heroine and is thus a helpless captive audience to all those matchmakers.

    "He nodded to Aimee's family, surrounding him like happy vultures."

    That one moment captures the whole beauty shop scene in a single sentence. Perfect!

    Keep up the great work.

    Vince

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I love the happy vultures quote, Vince. Thanks for sharing. :)

      Delete
    2. Vince! That is the best review! Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts! I’m glad you liked the beauty shop scene. I love Aimee’s family and had some fun with them😂
      It makes me happy beyond measure that you enjoyed it and stayed up late to read! Best compliment ever!!

      Delete
  15. Christy, what a blessing your post is to me today. You are so inspiring. Cancer is the absolute pits, and yet, God is so big and so good that He can use it to bless us in unexpected ways.

    Your story sounds lovely! And if you got Vince's attention, it is quality indeed! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Erica! I love to see the Lord at work. I am a work in progress, that is for sure, but amazed that He can use my situation to help others.

      Delete
  16. Christy, what a beautiful story so well told. God bless you. Congratulations and Praise the Lord for the cancer free diagnosis. AND THE BOOK!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, is all of your family well yet? You and Pam have had so much sickness lately!

      Delete
    2. We are, Missy. We should just stay home, maybe hide under the couch until the cold and flu season is over!!!

      Delete
    3. Sounds like a good plan to me! :)

      Delete
    4. Thank you Mary! Hope you are doing well!!

      Delete
  17. What a great reminder to trust God, your book looks so pretty! I would love to be entered to win your book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angeline, we're glad you stopped by!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for being here Angeline! My editor Cynthia Hickey created the cover. I was very pleased. It captures a piece of the opening scene.

      Delete
  18. Christy, what a beautiful, amazing story God has written with your life. I so appreciated your words. And, I'm sorry cancer was a part of your story. You are such an inspiration! God's been confronting me with my fear issues too, which are eerily similar to what you dealt with. Thanks for sharing your story here. It was very encouraging!

    I'd be interested in being put into the drawing for you book. :) Congratulations on being published! The cover is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanne, I think the fear hits a lot of us. Writing is tough, and leaves us vulnerable.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for being here Jeanne! It is good to know we are not alone in our fear issues... I still have to deal with them daily, but I keep pressing on. My daughter is almost 15 and I am pretty honest with her about my feelings. She is pretty fearless, so she helps balance me and push me forward.

      Delete
  19. Wow! Congratulations on releasing your first book! And amazing on your cancer story, too. I'll send up a prayer God continues to bless you on that journey. Cancer has taken too many good people from this life. Thanks for being willing to share your story with us.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Christy, what a powerful testimony of trusting His plan! Thank you for sharing your inspiring journey. Congratulations on the publication of your romance book! Cheering you on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherida, thanks for stopping by to help us celebrate!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for being here Sherida and your support! Cheering right back at you!

      Delete
  21. Christy! (I already own your book so please don't enter me in the drawing!) But I loved reading your story! I just popped in for a minute, but then I read your beautiful story and wanted to leave a comment! You're one of my inspirations! Keep writing! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tanya, she's one of my inspirations, too.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Tanya! I'm glad you enjoyed it. Thank you so so much for your support. You were one of the first people I had to share my bad news with, but so grateful for your friendship and that we've celebrated a lot of accomplishments together too! I am so excited for your book's release too! It's next in my TBR stack!!!

      Delete
  22. Wow Christy! What a story. Thank you so much for sharing. My heart - I can't even imagine.
    (I'd love to be entered in the draw if it's open to international).

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you Lee-Ann for stopping by... It is amazing how strong you realize you can become when faced with life's challenges!

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."