Monday, August 17, 2020

Show vs. Tell: Clearing Up the Mystery

 by Jan Drexler



Show, don’t tell.

You’ve heard that advice before, right? If there are rules for writing, this one has to top the list.

But while contest judges and critiquers (and other experienced authors) are fond of tossing this bit of advice our way, we rarely know exactly what it is that they’re talking about. It’s like the advice to “develop your voice.” Why is it so hard to pinpoint what it means?

In my opinion, it’s because “show, don’t tell” is a subjective technique of writing. Grammar, spelling, punctuation, paragraph structure…all of those are objective. I can tell you “A. B. C.” and you understand.

However, some writing techniques are more art than science. More right brain than left.

So, when someone writes on our darling manuscripts, “show, don’t tell,” what do they mean? And how can we fix it? 



Let me give you an example. This excerpt is from my work in progress before I revised it:

I turned my rental car into the driveway of Rose’s Sweetbriar Inn and parked on the cement pad in front of the double garage doors. I got out and inhaled the tangy aroma of pine. Lovely. It reminded me of the time I had spent working in Norway three years ago.

But the Sweetbriar Inn was nothing like the hotel north of Oslo. That one had been made of steel and glass. Very modern. The Sweetbriar was a huge log structure that had been built against the base of the pine-covered hill that rose behind it. Rustic and secluded.


In case you’re wondering, this excerpt is ALL TELLING!

How do I know?

Look at the first sentence: I turned my rental car into the driveway of Rose’s Sweetbriar Inn and parked on the cement pad in front of the double garage doors.

It tells what happens. Emma (the main character) drives her rental car to the Sweetbriar Inn and parks in the driveway.

It’s very simple. Short and sweet. It conveys the action, but no more.

Now look at the rest of the excerpt. Same thing. There is some description, a hint of Emma’s backstory, and I’ve used, let’s see, two of the five senses. Not bad. 

But it could be So. Much. Better.

How? By “showing” instead of “telling.”

Here’s my most recent draft of those two paragraphs:

As soon as I opened the door of my rented sedan, a familiar aroma tugged at my memories. Norway. Spring. Three years ago.

But the inn rising in front of me was nothing like the executive resort north of Oslo. Built into the side of a picturesque fjord, that building had been a steel and glass intrusion among the pines of the pristine Nordic wilderness. Sweetbrier Inn tucked its comfortable log structure into the embrace of the pine covered mountain deep in the Black Hills of South Dakota. Private. Secluded. Safe.

As we compare the two excerpts, we can pick out certain words that scream “telling.” I’ll highlight them:
I turned my rental car into the driveway of Rose’s Sweetbriar Inn and parked on the cement pad in front of the double garage doors. I got out and inhaled the tangy aroma of pine. Lovely. It reminded me of the time I had spent working in Norway three years ago.

But the Sweetbriar Inn was nothing like the hotel north of Oslo. That one had been made of steel and glass. Very modern. The Sweetbriar was a huge log structure that had been built against the base of the pine-covered hill that rose behind it. Rustic and secluded.

Every word I highlighted is a verb. Do you see that? Turned. Parked. Got out. Inhaled. Reminded. Was. Was. Had been built (passive voice – very “telling!”)

I’m not saying we shouldn’t use verbs, but the WAY we use them are key to whether our writing is strong “showing,” or weak “telling.” 




The secret? Trade in your tired, weak verbs for strong and robust ones.

Look at the verbs I used in the second example: Opened. Tugged. Rising. Pasted. Tucked.

Not every verb is a strong one, but we’re not writing purple prose here. We want to use strong verbs, but we want to use them sparingly. We want to make them count. 


Let’s try another excerpt. This one is from "The Roll of the Drums," my October 2019 release from Revell.

Here’s the pre-revisions and edits version:
The hungry horses fought for the grain, Delilah finally shoving Samson aside with bared teeth and thrusting her nose into the bucket.
Before you go on to read the final draft of the sentences, read the first version again. What would you change to make this into a “showing” sentence instead of a “telling” one?

Remember – look for the verbs. How can you make them stronger?

Here’s another hint: When I’m editing sentences like this, I try to picture the scene in my mind. Where are my characters? What is the light like? The odors? What is my character’s state of mind and his focus? 



When I rewrote this scene, I closed my eyes. I put myself in the barn, in Gideon’s place. What was he experiencing?
Samson whickered deep in his throat and extended his jug head toward the wooden scoop. The horse’s nostrils opened wide as he breathed in the scent of the grain before Delilah shoved him aside and reached for the oats with bared teeth.
And another hint. Read the two examples again. In the first one I used the adjective “hungry.” Do you see it in the second example? No. But do we know that the horses are hungry? Yes.

In the first example, I told the reader that the horses were hungry. In the second example I showed the reader their eagerness for the grain, Delilah’s desperation to get to the food before her mate. 





So, how do we take a passage from “telling” to “showing?”

1) Pay attention to the verbs and how we’re using them.

2) Put ourselves in our point of view character’s mind – what are they seeing and experiencing?

3) Watch for adjectives – how can we eliminate telling our readers the adjective and show them instead?


 I hope my brief foray into Show vs. Tell has helped to clear up some of the mystery!

But there's still one more thing - "Telling" has its place in your story, too. In a paragraph that moves your character from point A to point B is one time to use it. A sentence that shows the passage of time is another appropriate place. It's a good idea to re-read a favorite book and see how that author used "showing" and "telling" to their best advantages. Every author has their own way of using these techniques...and that's what gives an author their "voice."

Let's talk!

Writers: Do you have trouble with show vs. tell in your writing?

Readers: Can you tell the difference when you're reading a story?


And a reminder: I have two books coming out in October!

The first is the third installment in my "Amish of Weaver's Creek" series, Softly Blows the Bugle, and is available for pre-order now!


And my Christmas novella from 2019 is being re-released as an e-book only, single title!


Links to pre-order both books are on my website: www.JanDrexler.com!


29 comments:

  1. This was very helpful! I understand what you are saying, now I am going to practice with it. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad I could help! This is a concept I've struggled with for years. :-)

      Delete
  2. Great examples, Jan! When Janet Dean critiques for me, she often has to mark places where I'm telling. I'm the world's worst at using those adjectives instead of showing the emotions. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to see those places when we're in the midst of writing, isn't it? That's where a good critique partner or editor can be so valuable!

      Delete
  3. Great job, Jan! I work so hard on show don't tell, and when I read a book that's heavy on telling, I'm disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Disappointed is a good word for it, Jackie. Too much telling can ruin a good story.

      Delete
  4. Jan, I've read a llot of posts, and this one made the concept so easy to understand. I will be coming back to re-read your wisdom here. And I loved your examples!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeanne! It's a difficult thing to describe, but that Bernard Cornwall quote was the key that unlocked the door for me!

      Delete
  5. Your explanation of show don't tell is the best I've read. Thanks for breaking it down so well. Printing this out so I don't have to look for it when I need it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post, Jan, with delightful examples from your wonderful stories! You've achieved your goal and given all of us a clearer picture of "Show, don't tell!"

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jan, I think every writer dreads the words "show, don't tell." Like you, I often "tell" at first, then go back work on the "showing." Excellent post with lots of great info.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mindy!

      Yes, my first draft is mostly "telling" as I get the story down. It's in revisions where I get to work on the "showing." :-)

      Delete
  8. Love these Back to Basics Posts! :) I always need the reminders and refreshers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "All Showing is Telling…it's just a difference in how you tell it."

    Hi Jan:

    What would you rather experience: a Homeric bard reciting the story of Odysseus or a French mime showing the epic in mime?

    (A lot of people hate mimes but that's a different story.)

    Tell it with emotion, make the reader feel your words, and you'll be read with gusto!

    Showing?
    Telling?
    No. It's all about the feeling!

    For thousands of years, before photography, readers wanted to be told in word-pictures so they could 'see' vicariously the wonders of the world for themselves. "Don't tell me how you felt when seeing the pyramids for the first time, just describe what you are seeing objectively so I can see it for myself."

    Showing has probably caused more stilted writing than anything expect for new writers coming up with multiple ways to say, 'he said' all on the same page. :(

    The real villain is adverbs.

    (Adverbially)

    Judy left her boss's office angrily.

    (Emotionally)

    Judy did an abrupt about-face, with military precision, and stormed out of his office with a frown on her face, (which her boss conveniently could not see). She slammed the door shut so hard she could hear the sound of it still reverberating as the prized photo of her boss playing golf with the President smashed to the floor. Crystal beauty in shards of tingling whispers!

    "That didn't help my career any" she said out loud to the befuddled employees walking by.

    *****


    This is how I feel about it: don't look for 'showing' and 'telling' when and where it is not apparent. However, when it is apparent, like with adverbs, fix it. Otherwise, keep the reader emotionally involved and all will be well.

    This is not to say I don't agree with anything you've written which I believe is all correct. It's just to suggest that one consider the problem from a different POV. :)

    Vince

    P.S. (Cf. the below video for further elucidation:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PCkvCPvDXk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, adverbs! They deserve an entire post to themselves!

      And yes, I don't disagree that emotion is so very important to our writing. But the question (especially for newer writers) is how to convey that emotion without falling into the "telling" trap.

      And using adverbs willy-nilly is just one of those traps. Your example is perfect!

      Delete
    2. Hi Jan:

      In a way, 'showing' and 'telling' is like the difference between direct and indirect speech. In direct speech the wife simply tells her husband, "I want to hear you tell me you love me more often." That's clear and the guy surely should get the message.

      In showing the wife keeps telling her husband that she loves him so that he can see it's what she wants in return. He may or may not get it. He might think, "Why is she keep saying that? Does she think I'm interested in another woman? Is she insecure?" Poor confused guy. :)

      From my experience: when the writer keeps asking questions that I'm very anxious to get the answers to, I just want the answers to come fast and furious and I've never noticed if the answers were told or shown. I think only a contest judge would worry about something like that.

      I do love this topic.

      I just love your posts.

      Vince

      Delete
  10. What a great post, Jan! I'm going to post those three tips above my desk :)

    A helpful tip for me has been to beware of "filtering words," which could probably be a subpoint under verb choice. Words like "noticed," "saw," "felt," "seemed," which can filter the reader's experience through an extra layer of telling.

    It's small, but there is still the important difference between the filtered, "She noticed his scowl," and the much stronger, "He scowled."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great point, Meg. I have problems all the time with those types of words.

      Delete
    2. It's the small details like that than can really improve your writing! :-)

      Delete
    3. I never throught of "filtering words" before. That's really helpful, Meg. Thanks!

      Delete
  11. This was a wonderful post, Jan. I will definitely bookmark this to look at again. I know I need to be much better at showing rather than telling in my writing. Now that I am in revision stages, this will come in handy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Revision stages!" I love that, don't you?

      I hope these tips are useful for you!

      Delete
  12. Thanks Jan for this excellent post. It's so easy to put those telling words into your narrative. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great examples, Jan. You're right that these can be hard lessons to teach--and learn. You just have to keep writing and keep editing and looking at examples like these is a great way to learn. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."