Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Where Story Begins

 by guest blogger and multi-published author Louise Gouge.

People often ask authors how they got started writing and where they get their story ideas. I love to answer both questions because for me they go hand-in-hand.

 Since early childhood, I have seen a story in just about every situation. It’s never taken much to stir my imagination. So one day as I was contemplating my soon-to-be empty nest (I was a stay-at-home mom), I looked out my window and saw a young boy tossing a football with a young man. They were obviously having a great time. As always, the “what if” questions came to mind. What if they are father and son? What if the boy doesn’t know the man is his father? Why doesn’t he know? Who’s the mother? What does the father do for a living? The mother? How does she support her son?

 As with most of my imaginings, this one simmered in my brain for several days until a friend, also a soon-to-be empty nester, and I sat down over lunch to chat about what we would do with all our time after the children left home. I told her about my latest imaginings. She told me to go home and write that story right away. So I did!

 Characters and conflict seemed to flow from my fingers onto…wait for it…an electric typewriter. Always a poor typist, I threw away a lot of paper, Xed out many lines, and generally made a mess of the manuscript. Did I mention this was in 1985? I hadn’t even heard of word processing computers. Were they a thing back then? Despite my typing struggles, I kept on writing.

 I decided the father was an NFL quarterback, the mother a waitress in a diner. The boy was a twelve-year-old who idolized the man he didn’t know was his father. How would he react when he found out?

 Moving toward finishing the book, I asked all sorts of people for help. A football expert. My doctor. A busy waitress. And always my loving husband, David. Finally the book was finished.

 To make a long story short, I decided to go back to college to make sure I’d done a good job of writing my all-American story. After graduation, I edited the book with what I’d learned and then found a publisher. In 1994, my first novel, Once There Was a Way Back Home, was published by Crossway Books. In 1998, the sequel, The Homecoming, was published by the same company. Over the subsequent years, I have been blessed to have 25 novels published. (Click here to see my booklist.)

 Fast forward to 2017. My beloved David, who supported me all those years, encouraged me to revisit those first two books. He loved the story as much as I do. Because the publisher had long ago reverted the copyrights to me, so I could do as I pleased with them. I dug in and brought them into the twenty-first century. Computers. Cell phones. Digital TV. Alexa! So many things we didn’t have in 1995, all had to be incorporated into the books. What fun!

 So much fun, in fact, that I decided to change the characters’ names and tweak a few of the plot elements. The result? Winning Amber. My amazing daughter-in-law designed a cover, and we were set to go. Winning Amber is now available on Kindle and in print.

 Now you know how I got started writing, and you’ve heard about just one of my inspirations. Who knows? Maybe tomorrow I’ll write about the wife of Moby Dick’s Captain Ahab. Oh, wait. I already did that in Ahab’s Bride. Maybe a Jane Austen-inspired series about ladies’ companions? Been there, done that in my Regency Companions series. Maybe a series of westerns about where I used to live in Colorado. Done! Four Stones Ranch! So many inspirations. So many stories to write!

 Oh, and that typewriter? If I had to write my books on it, I think I would have given up a long time ago. I’m still a terrible typist. What would I do without my computer and…wait for it…backspacing and “delete”? Maybe you can relate to that.

 

Winning Amber


Winning is all important to him, in the game…and in love.

 Single mother Amber works hard to raise her son, Noah, on her wages and tips at a small Colorado diner. With medical bills to pay, they both wear secondhand clothes and do without the modern technology Noah’s classmates have. The last thing Amber ever expected was for Noah’s father to show up and preach at her about his newfound religion, especially since Drew didn’t even know Noah existed. Now will the rich and famous NFL quarterback try to take her son away from her? With no one to defend her, is it time for her to run away…again?

 Drew Buxton has always gotten what he wants. Money, girls, a successful career as the NFL’s most popular quarterback, he’s had it all…until a family betrayal and tragedy caused him to rethink his entire life and turn to God. Now he seeks to make amends to the people he’s harmed on his road to success, including the high school classmate who tutored him through his toughest classes. He doesn’t expect her to welcome his visit, nor does he expect the shock of learning he has a son. This changes everything. Now there isn’t anything he won’t do to improve his son’s life, no matter how much Amber resists.


LINK TO FINDING "WINNING AMBER" ON AMAZON: Buy It Here! 

Florida author Louise M. Gouge writes contemporary and historical romance fiction, winning the prestigious IRCA for Hannah Rose (2005) and placing as a finalist four times, and placing the 2012 Laurel Wreath

 

 

22 comments:

  1. Louise, I'm fascinated by your process and evolution of ideas. I'm constantly asking the "what if" questions, too, sometimes unwittingly and unwillingly. It can be torture if I'm unable to jot down my thoughts right then, but I don't want it to end, ever! Thank you for sharing this; your stories look intriguing, and you have earned my respect by writing books on a typewriter. :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel, I have to admit I didn't start writing until we got our first computer! I wanted to write but didn't have the drive to start until we could afford that computer. haha Thankfully, it was only a few months to wait. So I, too, admire Louise for that effort!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a fascinating journey. Thank you for sharing. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your journey to 25 books! Your journey is especially inspiring to me right now as I just became an empty-nester yesterday (!!) and I do want to use my "extra time" to write. And as much as I enjoy the sound of a typewriter, I really can't imagine writing novels on one :) Thanks so much for sharing with us today...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glynis, I'll be thinking about your in your empty nest! We're about to become empty nesters once again. My daughter is heading to graduate school in a week! She's been at home since she graduated in May of 2019, so we've really gotten used to having her here.

      Delete
    2. The house is quiet, but I'm also hoping that means it will stay cleaner :) Good luck on your empty-nesting, too!

      Delete
  4. Hi Louise. I love this. Hearing about what got you started and where you get your ideas. Those seem to be the big two questions. I get asked them so much I've actually written them out and give them as a standard speech. :)
    I decided if I'm going to be asked them a lot, I'd better have an answer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, that's a great idea to write out those answers!

      Delete
  5. Louise, welcome! I just ran in the door but look forward to reading your post in a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Louise, I love how you got started writing! I started writing soon after having a baby. At the end of my pregnancy, I had been on bed rest for several weeks and had read a ton of books. I decided I wanted to try my hand at writing one. I just jumped in with no help at all. But then I found out about Georgia Romance Writers (a chapter of RWA). And the rest is history! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wrote quite a few high school papers on a typewriter, but am glad I never had to do a book that way. Good for you!
    I, too, love the "what if." Do you think people who don't ask that question have boring lives? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome to Seekerville, Louise!

    I wonder how many of us were spurred on to start our writing careers because of an empty nest? When I started, I was still homeschooling our two youngest, but planning for the day when they would both graduated.

    And the typewriter! The best class I ever took in high school was beginning typing. Like Amy, I wrote my college papers and stories on a typewriter, but put it away when the children started coming...and coming. When I started writing on a computer, I was in love. Backspace and delete are my favorite keys!

    Best wishes on your new releases! I can't wait to read them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Louise and welcome to Seekerville! Thank you for sharing your story. I love how your husband encouraged you to go back to those early stories. And I can't wait to read Winning Amber.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Louise, your Ahab's Bride was one of the first books I read after I started writing fiction myself. And you were one of the first authors I met whose work I had read, way back in 2006 at the ACFW Conference! I love hearing how God has blessed you through your writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember Ahab's Bride, Erica. I loved that book. Such a great What If idea, Louise!

      Delete
  11. I enjoyed your post, Louise. I enjoy hearing everyone's stories about how they got started.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."