Monday, November 23, 2020

Guest Blogger Georgiana Daniels

 Erica here. My good buddy, Georgiana Daniels is stepping up to help me out. I'm on deadline, and I'm currently huddled in a corner with my laptop, muttering and mumbling and generally ignoring the rest of the world as I finish this manuscript. And like the true friend she is, Georgiana has kindly accepted my offer (begging and pleading and a wee bit of sniveling) to post for me.

She gave me a sneak peek at the short story she's offering for free today, and let me just say, it is true-blue Georgiana all the way, and soooo funny! You won't regret signing up to get your copy!

Take it away, Geo!

Unexpected Blessings and Other Crazy Lessons

 

Does anyone else feel like 2020 whacked them in the head? The blunt force trauma of this year is unlike any other. Whether it’s health related, financial, or general anxiety, we’ve all been affected one way or another. But the good thing is, it’s also caused most of us to reevaluate what really matters in life—and I don’t just mean Clorox wipes and toilet paper (a-hem).

 As we approach Thanksgiving, it’s a great time to look at what we’ve learned over the past 11 months and the unexpected blessings that snuck up on us. No doubt many of us had to pivot both in our personal lives and in our writing careers or other areas that matter most. In doing so, we’ve probably realized how resilient we are—and how much we rely on God for His daily provision of everything we lack. That, in itself, is a blessing.

I’ve discovered a lot about myself over the past year—a good whack in the head will do that, you know. For example, I can spend an inordinate amount of time working and/or lounging in pajamas. Who knew? Also, I’m perfectly content to hide out at home—I mean quarantine—for the good of humanity, of course. And in other news, whoever is out there making memes this year is doing a fabulous job! (As a side note, I’m printing out my favorites for my journal.)

Then there are the deeper discoveries, like the fact that I’m not as introverted as I’d previously suspected. Because we are, as a family, on the careful side, I don’t get to see my people as often as I want to, and every time we do my well fills up. No longer do I take a moment with family or friends for granted like I did in the olden days—a.k.a. 2019. Also, I never thought of myself as a hugger before this year, but now I savor each hug, never knowing when I’ll get that next meaningful embrace. I’ve become that person that doesn’t let go in a timely manner, and it gets a little awkward. (Sorry, not sorry!)

If 2020 has taught us anything, it’s that none of us are guaranteed tomorrow. The thing of it is, we never were. Yet most of us took for granted that we’d have tomorrow, and several tomorrows after that to accomplish our goals. We didn’t just set goals for this month, but we had our one-year goals and our five-year plans, as though it were entirely in our hands. Procrastination on issues big and small became a running joke along with endless to-do lists that bled over into the following week and the week after that. But so many of us now realize that what we have is today, and today is a great time to make things happen!


That’s why I’m no longer waiting on the publishing fairy to pay me another visit. I’m taking matters into my own nervous hands and joining the indie crowd! This could be the best thing ever—or it could be an epic disaster. We’ll have to wait and see. Honestly, though, the only epic disaster is never trying, never doing, and always waiting until that proverbial someday.

The point is, I’m barreling ahead because writing matters to me. Story matters to me. Making people smile and experience even a smidgen of joy matters to me. And isn’t that what 2020 should have taught us all, to invest our time and ourselves into what’s really important? (Kind of sad that it took a worldwide pandemic to open my eyes, but that’s a post for another day.)

Don’t put off what’s important to you until it’s too late. That doesn’t mean we jump willy-nilly into the unknown just to see what happens. But we can prayerfully and strategically take steps toward the goals God has placed on our hearts right now. Regret would be an even bigger whack in the head than 2020, and that’s saying a lot.

If you’re anything like me, you need a good laugh this year along with that dose of introspection. On that note, I’d like to offer you The Mystery of the Missing Groom, which is a fun free short story prequel to my spring 2021 release, Crumbs of Passion, as a thank you for signing up for my newsletter.




How about you? What unexpected lessons or blessings did you learn from 2020? How do you plan to carry those lessons into the future? Enquiring minds want to know!




Bio: Georgiana Daniels is an author, homeschooling mom, and master’s degree student. “Busy” is her middle name, but if she finds a nugget of free time she enjoys knitting, reading, and fumbling around on the piano to the dismay of others. Though previously published in romance and women’s fiction, she’s dipping an anxious toe into cozy mysteries—because murder and mayhem are so much fun!

 

36 comments:

  1. Georgianna, good morning! I love your sage advice and I wish you the very best with your indie publishing... as someone who is making money on my indie books, let me just say one thing: Production is key. Wait, production of a really good product, great stories.... and sticking with it. The more you have out there, the better return you'll see as long as you allow your readership time to grow.

    I've kept a foot in both strategies and I love that we're able to do that.

    Go get 'em!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Ruth! How many books are you putting out each year now? Allowing time for the readership to grow is so important, and to be honest will be the hardest part. I'm not known for my patience, lol.

      Delete
    2. I generally write four books/year... but I had a dozen written when I first got published, so I had a solid deposit in the virtual bank to launch with. I just keep writing. And I jump in on novellas... if there's time. I plan my writing out in two-year increments so I can see deadlines and launches in a spreadsheet... because then I know if I write my 1K/day (and I love days when I can do more!) I can come up with that 365,000/year that makes those 4 books a reality....

      That also gives me flexibility. And I do like having a hand in running my business!

      Delete
  2. I also learned that while I am an introvert, I do need people. That was actually kind of a refreshing thing to learn for me too :) I spent some time working on this year's Christmas letter and while we had some major heartbreaks (my youngest graduated in May so he missed out on a lot, and my mom passed away from cancer) we also had some unbelievable blessings, mostly in the amount of time we got to spend together as a family. My extended family basically quarantined together for the summer and I've never been able to spend that much time with them in my whole life. It was hard and fun and heartwrenching and I don't want another year like this one ever again, but we all agreed it was the "best worst year ever". Thanks so much for stopping by!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Glynis--so sorry to hear about your mom. Lord, have mercy. Your description of the best worst year ever is so spot on! Time together is wonderful, though the circumstances keeping most of us closely confined is difficult. I do love how God blesses us, even in the hard times <3

      Delete
  3. Hi Georgiana!

    It's been a year, hasn't it?

    My biggest problem this year has been finishing projects. Starting something new seems to be the only thing that energizes me right now and yesterday I spent a few hours planning my spring garden.

    Congratulations on your indie adventure! Exploring that option is on my to-do list for next year! It will be my "something new" in the midst of winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, I totally hear you about finishing projects! There's something special about starting something fresh, especially this year. I can't wait to see pictures of your garden next spring (and yes you have to finish that project, lol!) I'd actually love to learn to garden, but my thumb is definitely not of the green variety.

      Delete
  4. Erica and lovely ladies of Seekerville--thank you for hosting me today! Also, I'd like to see a pic of the huddling in the corner, as I have only ever seen Erica writing with flourish and flair!

    ReplyDelete
  5. GEORGIANNA!!!!!! Yes, I'm jumping up and down. And what do you mean you're not a hugger? How many times have we hugged? Like every time we see each other. And they're usually accompanied by a squeal. You just can't do ACFW without hugging.

    Wonderful post, my friend. And I can't wait to read your new book! When did you start doing cozies? Or did we talk about this when we were last together? Sorry, I've slept since then.

    I missed seeing you this year, but I'm holding out for 2021. Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mindy! I miss you, and I just read your comment in your voice! This is my first foray into the cozy world, and I'm LOVING it. Seriously, I'm constantly making myself laugh, and I'm not sure if that's a good thing, lol. I'm very much looking forward to seeing you again!

      Delete
    2. Girl, laughter is always a good thing.

      Delete
  6. Georgiana, nice to have you here today. All the best on your indie publishing. I will have to sign up for your story. I miss being able to get together freely with family and I really miss traveling. I am so ready for this to be over. Happy Thanksgiving to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, I'm right there with you! We're still struggling to figure out what we're going to do about Thanksgiving. When we're finally able to gather freely, I will never take it for granted again! I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving <3

      Delete
  7. Georgianna, so much of what you shared resonated with me. You're so right. We need to be intentional with THIS day, each day. We don't know what our future holds. One thing I've gotten better at this year (although, I'm having to brush this skill off again), is being intentional. When everything locked down and my kids came home for schooling and fear writhed through the air and the news and everywhere, I had to shut myself off from the news and all things stressful if I wanted to be productive in our new version of "normal." I learned how to stick to a schedule to get things done. I'm learning I have to grapple with the stress of change and then figure out how to work within the changes. That's where I find myself . . . again.

    Good for you branching into Indie publishing. May God bless your efforts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanne, intentionality is HUGE! That stress when everything was new this year was enormous, especially for those of us who don't deal with regular change very well. (I'm totally in that camp.) May God bless you as you work within the changes again, dear one.

      Delete
  8. G~ thank you for pitching in when I'm so pressed! I loved your novella, and I can't wait for the series to debut!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, you are so kind! Thank you for the invitation.

      Delete
    2. These words I wrote while sitting in a van during my churches drive in service on November 8.
      When this year began, I was looking forward to a new year when surely the last couple years of grief, hardships and trials would be over and life would be wonderful again. Little was I to know that losing my parents, shattering my knee, and spending four months in a nursing home was mild compared to what 2020 would bring. All that had happened in the three years prior had been in preparation for this year.

      While 2020 has been full of difficulties and uncertainties, it has also been a year of hope, peace, and trust. Seeing I could trust God in the difficult days of the previous years provided what I needed to get through this year.

      God is in control; God is faithful; God loves me; God will take care of me; God is coming for me; His return is soon. It may seem that the enemies are winning and prevailing, but God is in control. He will ultimately reveal their wicked ways and victory will be won.

      Delete
    3. Well said, Wilani! This year has been an exercise in faith, and that is such a blessing.

      Delete
  9. Remember when Charles Dickens wrote "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times ..." to start "A Tale of Two Cities"? That was my year. I got to do Corona-cation at home with my youngest, but it was his senior year. School ended in teh middle of the week, so he didn't get to say goodbye to anybody. But then, DD got engaged. Actually on April Fool's Day but told everybody on April 2 so we would believe them. Wedding was to be at her college church ... but then she and the groom and maid of honor and other friends got the virus ... plans back on track, then the church called her up AFTER the flowers were ordered and invites sent, to say that they could not have that many people in the building. So it ended up being in a tent. But as outdoorsy as they are, that seemed like it was planned from the start. The youngest son was dragging his feet about taking his cows to the 4-H Fair for his last year, but then it ended up being "show and go" instead of "show-cation" all week at the fairgrounds. THe ones who are really feeling it, though, are our elderly parents. They watched way too much TV all through this and it scared the stuffing out of them. I wish we could have done more for them across the miles. My family has a lot to be thankful for in spite of a crazy year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you have so much to celebrate and be thankful for, Ann! I'm so glad to hear it--in fact, I love hearing stories of God's blessings in the midst of trials. He is faithful!

      Delete
    2. Ann, it sounds like a wild ride for you too! My son was a senior last year too, but I heard him say he actually thought his friends who are seniors now have it even worse because it hasn't been normal for them at all! I thought that was a pretty mature perspective for someone who missed out on a lot himself. I love that God has wrapped up the blessings in the midst of sorrow so we don't lose hope.

      Delete
    3. Glynis, we have a couple of seniors this year, too, and I agree... and how cool of your son to recognize that they had six months of normal... and then the boom was lowered.

      Ann, thank you so much for your perspective.... story fodder for sure. And thank you for coming by!

      Delete
  10. I've learned that I live in a place MANY PEOPLE want to live. I know so many young adults with children who DREAM of getting out of the city. Just a few acres. Room for the kids to run. A dog to roam off his leash. Maybe a few chickens or even a horse.
    I have that. Oh, not the dog or chickens or horses...but I have space, room to run.
    The covid has brought my mostly-in-hiding kids up to visit many many times this summer. This is the landing place for the weekend for their families when they can't shop or go to the children's museum or even have play dates with their friends.
    They come to the country.
    I've wished I lived closer to my kids. But I don't want to live in a city. What I've wanted (this has become clear to me this year) is to pick my house and land up and drop it an hour south...so I don't have such a long drive home after I've gone to see the kids.
    And since that's hard (okay impossible) I've learned I need to be happy right where I am.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, that's so neat that your kids have been to visit many times! For so many, it's the exact opposite. Learning to be happy where we are--physically and in life--is a huge blessing.

      Delete
  11. Thanks for visiting Seekerville, Georgiana. Good luck and God bless your indie journey.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing Georgiana. It has been a crazy year and definitely one that has reaffirmed to me what's really important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to that, Lee-Ann! This year has been a great time of introspection, for sure. No blessing is taken for granted!

      Delete
  13. Georgiana, it's so good to have you with us! I stopped by this morning and read your great post but didn't have time to comment. So I'm back!

    I love what you said about not putting things off until it's too late. I've definitely felt that during the pandemic. I've grown even more thankful for health and blessings.

    I look forward to reading your cozy! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you, Missy--more thankful than ever before for good health! Even though I never know what tomorrow brings, being thankful today keeps the focus where it should be.

      Delete
  14. Hi Georgina:

    I signed up for your newsletter and I just finished reading your short story, "The Mystery of the Missing Groom", and I loved your writing and voice.

    I'm not much into "Cozy Mysteries" but I have read most of "The Cat Who" books, the "Stephanie Plum" series, and the "Goldy Schutz" mysteries (the last by Diane Mott Davidson). I'm not sure they are "Cozies" but they are very addictive and I keep reading from their series.

    I think your writing is top quality like the above authors. You five sense wonderfully, make great use of physical proxies so much so that instead of telling how the heroine feels, I can actually feel what she is feeling. Instead of telling, you make the reader also feel along with the character. This is all very good and hard to do. I would guess if not told that you have published fifty books. It is very accomplished writing.

    I'm looking forward to reading your book when it comes out. Be sure to come back and let us know the release date. (I'm sure you'll include it in your newsletter.)

    Vince

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Vince! I really appreciate it. I do hope you enjoy. Happy Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."