Wednesday, December 16, 2020

International Christmas Traditions

By Debby Giusti

This Advent, a number of Seekerville posts have focused on Christmas traditions. I’ve enjoyed learning about the various ways many of the Seekers and Villagers celebrate the holiday. In keeping with our December theme, I’ll share a few of the international treats that have meaning for my family at this time of year.

Some of you know that I’m an Army brat and an Army wife. My father was part of the Greatest Generation and spent thirty-two years on active duty. My husband and son are now retired, but they too had successful military careers. As you’ve probably guessed, we traveled the world and especially enjoyed our time in Germany.

Our three-year tour of duty in Deutschland was a wonderful opportunity to learn the German language and to get to know the people and their culture. The children counted down to Christmas on chocolate Advent Calendars. Since then, the calendars have become readily available in the US, and I’m sure many of you, like me, get them for your grandchildren.

My grown children still fondly remember the Feast of Saint Nicholas. We would take our three little ones to the neighborhood bakery in the early evening of December 6th and gather outside with German families and their children. The boys and girls cheered with glee when a beautifully decorated wagon, drawn by a matched team of horses, rode into sight. Saint Nicholas was at the reins, wearing a flowing robe and miter hat and sporting a long white beard. He stopped at the bakery and distributed bags of candy and cookies and little toys to all the children.

Throughout December, we would visit various outdoor Christkindlesmarkts—Nuremberg being one of the best—where hand-carved ornaments were for sale along with wonderful baked goods.

On Saturdays when we weren't traveling, we’d bundle up in wool coats, hats and gloves, and with our youngest child tucked in the stroller, we’d walk to our town’s marktplatz, or market place, located near the beautiful Aschaffenburg castle on the Main River. We’d drink hot chocolate, sometimes enjoy a paper cone of French fries (the Germans eat theirs with mayonnaise) or perhaps a wurst or sausage. Our breath would cloud the frigid air and mix with the laughter and excitement around us as we shopped for Christmas gifts. Along with the gifts, we’d come home with farm fresh produce, cut flowers, and bakery items made only in December.

Stollen remains a favorite treat. The bread is filled with nuts, spices and candied fruit and is coated with powdered sugar and eaten during the Christmas season.

German cookies are another family tradition. Lebkuchen is a type of gingerbread first baked by medieval monks. A blend of hazelnuts, walnuts and almonds along with a mix of spices give it a distinctive taste that’s loved by all.


Pfeffernusse is a type of lebkuchen rolled into small balls and glazed with powdered sugar that are also popular at Christmas.

My father-in-law was first generation Italian. We traveled to Italy with the children when we lived in Germany, and my husband and I have returned to Italy a number of times. A favorite Italian Christmas treat is panettone. The sweet, yeasty cake is filled with raisins and candied fruit, and was first made In Milan and dates back to the Roman Empire.

Biscotti is another favorite. A monastery in the Atlanta area bakes a delicious variety of the almond flavored cake that always signals the approach of Christmas.

I hope you’ll share any special family foods that give meaning to your holiday celebrations. The coffee’s hot, and I’ve filled the breakfast bar with stollen, panettone and biscotti. There’s also hot chocolate and tea. Enjoy a special treat as we continue our discussion on holiday traditions.

Wishing you a very Merry Christmas,

Debby Giusti

www.DebbyGiusti.com


Amish Christmas Search

Oct 2020

An Amish girl’s disappearance is a mystery…

and the clues lead straight into danger at Christmas.

Convinced her friend didn’t run away as the police

believe, Lizzie Kauffman searches for the truth—but

someone will kill to keep it hidden. Now the Amish

housekeeper and her friend Caleb Zook are on the

run for their lives. And if they want to find their

missing friend, Lizzie and Caleb must figure out

a way to survive the holiday.

 Order HERE!


30 comments:

  1. Debby, what an amazing opportunity for you and your family to experience this immersion into a culture with so many roots of American history. I used to make lebkuchen for my dad when I was young... there was a recipe in the Betty Crocker cookbook (1950 edition) and it was a tough dough to handle... but he loved it.

    Thank you for this glimpse. I love hearing the origin of some of these holiday favorites I've tried, and those I haven't. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruth, you're an amazing baker! I'm sure your lebkuchen were delicious! We lived in Bavaria, in the southern part of the country. The people there are so friendly and welcoming, and we loved living there. So many wonderful memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christmas in Germany sounds wonderful! I may have said this before, but I am an Air Force brat who has still never been out of the country! My dad did several remote tours, so we stayed in the US, but growing up almost all of my friends had been stationed in Germany at one time or another. I would love to eat my way across Europe at Christmas. Thanks for the tour, Debby :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm laughing, Glynis, because I've often said I ate my way across Europe! I'm a foodie, and I love to sample food from various countries. Evidently, we think alike!

      :)

      God bless your Air Force dad!

      Delete
  4. Debby, thanks for sharing this. We enrich ourselves by pulling from other cultures, don't we? Always wanted to to go to a European Christmas market, and the desserts sound yummy. KB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can still get to one of those delightful markets, KB! After COVID, right?

      Delete
  5. What an interesting post, Debby! Thanks for sharing; Merry Christmas to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post, Debby. How fortunate you are to have experienced so many wonderful places overseas. What great memories you have and it is fun you can still incorporate some of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Sandy. So many wonderful memories! :)

      Delete
  7. Debby, you've made me so hungry! I'm already doing some shopping looking for the gingerbread. :)

    What wonderful holiday memories for your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fresh Market has the best selection in my area, Missy! Home Goods has a few items, as well.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for sharing Debby. My high school German teacher was born in Germany and would occasionally share German treats with us if we had her during the Christmas season - so all of your pictures bring back the memories! :)
    I'm not fond of the Christmas tradition my Ukrainian dad keeps - eating pickled herring on Christmas Eve. But I do head to the Polish market and pick up some keilbasa and honey cake instead.
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Poland, Lee-Ann! Such a beautiful country and wonderful people. A good friend in my local area often hosts our church book club and fixes wonderful Polish treats! Oh my! I always eat too much and love every bite! :)

      The keilbasa and honey cake you mentioned sound good. I'll pass on the herring too! :)

      Delete
  9. Hi Debby:

    I loved reading your post about Germany. I was stationed in Italy for three years but did a few months TDY in Wiesbaden. I went to the same Sentry Dog School that the Germans used during the war. We even had two local German instructor/helpers who had the same job during the war. This was not long after the war and yet the Germans were very friendly.

    I didn't get to spend a Christmas in Germany but I did make every Oktoberfest in Munich, more drunks per square mile than anywhere else on earth, and when the Germans at the same extended picnic table as me, discovered I was American, they would not let me buy my own drinks! The smallest glass of beer was a liter and it was the best beer in the world. Each brewer had a big tent, about as big as a football field, and there were many brewers! When I finally left, I gave each of the Germans at the table a brand new Kennedy half dollar coin. They loved Kennedy. I was so glad I was told to bring a lot of the newly minted coins with me to Germany. BTW: other nice Germans helped me get on the right bus after I showed them my hotel key!!! What a time that was! :)

    I really loved Germany.

    Thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet your German Oktoberfest friends are still talking about the nice young American who gave them a Kennedy half-dollar! What a great story, Vince. The Germans are wonderful folks, especially the Bavarians. I'm glad you could spend time there. Italy is beautiful. We were there in 2019 again and loved every minute.

      BTW, Wiesbaden wasn't far from Aschaffenburg. In fact, we attended a few social events there.

      Merry Christmas! Frohliche Weihnachten!

      Delete
    2. Hi Debby:

      I didn't mention it but my first Oktoberfest was in 1964, the year they introduced the JFK half-dollar and it was 90% pure silver. The next year they debased it down to only 40% silver. I think our AF bank was the first to get the coins in Europe. I hope some of those nice Germans sill have some of them. They are worth a lot more today than two marks.


      One night trucks took us dog handles with dogs to the Air Base, the dog school was near Mintz,and we watched the Army do a night parachute drop. I guess they wanted the dogs to witness the drop. Jumping out of perfectly good planes was not something I wanted to do. I have a lot of respect for those Airborne guys. I bet this is something of which your husband has knowledge

      Delete
    3. Vince, my husband was an Armor officer and rode around in tanks. :) Our son, however, for an Airborne Ranger who jumped many, many times. :)

      Delete
    4. Hi Debby:

      About Christmas in Italy, other than people saying, 'buon Natale,' I did not see much difference. Where I was in Italy, Christmas did not seem to be very noticeable. It just was not commercial. It may have changed by now but it was very much observed as a religious holiday. This actually made it easier for the guys away from home for the first time. Of course, there were always those guys who took leave over Christmas who would sing, "I'll be home for Christmas" as they walked down to hall to their rooms. Just mean. 

      Whenever I was on a cargo plane, I had to wear a parachute. I remember thinking that it would be fun to jump, without 80 pounds of equipment, no war going on, and a nice static line for safety. I could visualize myself coming down near Vienna with newspaper photographers taking my picture as I landed with my dog in my arms. I think I was meant to write fiction. :)

      Delete
    5. I'm laughing, Vince! Those photos would have been fantastic! But I'm glad you didn't have to jump!

      Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  10. Germans certainly know how to celebrate Christmas!

    A special food tradition our family has is Belgian waffles for breakfast on Christmas Day. I'm not even certain how the tradition got started, but we've been doing it for years. It wouldn't quite feel like Christmas Day without it now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a nice Christmas tradition. We always have Sister Shubert's Sausage Rolls. Other things too, but always Sister Shubert's! :)

      Delete
  11. I love Panettone. I make a delicious white fruit cake that my mom always made that came from a lady who ran the local store when I was a little girl. My daughter also makes it. Merry Christmas 🎁🎄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucy, what makes it a white fruit cake? The cake part is like a white cake? I hope you'll stop by and provide more information. I'm intrigued! Plus, it sounds yummy!

      Delete
  12. Thank you for the glimpse of your German years, Debby! What a great experience!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My cowboy loves biscotti...but he's Gluten Free now and that changes EVERYTHING.

    I saw that Pannetone in a boxed mix, just like the one you pictures, at a store today. What a huge coincidence!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gluten free is not fun! Hugs to your cowboy!!!

      Merry Christmas, Mary!

      Delete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."