Monday, January 18, 2021

Facing Turmoil? Write!


I don’t have to tell you that we are in the midst of a tumultuous time. The last eleven months have been anywhere from disruptive to horrendous, depending on where you live.

But depending on how old you are, this isn’t your first go-round with pandemics and political turmoil.

Today, January 18, 2021, is Martin Luther King Day. 


His rise to public prominence, his famous “I Have a Dream Speech,” and his shocking assassination all took place during the 1960’s – a time of political turmoil.

Just think of the nation-shattering events that took place during that decade –

Wait, let’s narrow this down to one year: 1968.

On January 23, North Korea seized the USS Pueblo, initiating an eleven-month standoff between the US and North Korea

On January 30, the Tet Offensive was launched (part of the Vietnam War) and continued into September.

On April 4, Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated in Memphis, sparking riots in more than one hundred cities across the country.

In April, student protests at Columbia University in New York sparked similar campus protests across the country.

On June 4, Robert Kennedy (John F. Kennedy’s brother) was shot in Los Angeles while campaigning for president.

On August 28, anti-war protests outside the Democratic National Convention in Chicago turned violent, now known as the Chicago Riots.


It was a year filled with violence, division, and hatred. It was the capstone of the 60’s – a decade that changed America. 

What other events shaped that decade? Sputnik, the Cuban Missile crisis, the construction of the Berlin Wall, the US involvement in the Vietnam War exploded, Woodstock happened in the midst of the 1969 “Hong Kong Flu” pandemic, Malcolm X was assassinated in 1965 sparking riots in Los Angeles that left more than thirty people dead, and John F. Kennedy was assassinated in 1963.

Is this beginning to sound familiar?


We aren’t the first generation of writers to be telling our stories in the midst of great upheaval and change – or even a pandemic.

Here is a smattering of the books that were published during the tumultuous 1960’s (there were hundreds):

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Alexander Solzhenitsyn

The Godfather by Mario Puzo

The Spy Who Came in From the Cold by John Le Carre

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou

Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss

Do you see my point?

Writers write. In spite of what is going on outside their writing cave. 


So, have the events of the past eleven months affected your writing life?

Have you spent days staring at your computer, feeling unable to put two words together?

Do you feel like the well of ideas has gone dry?

I’m not surprised if you said yes to every one of these! 


Writing is hard (as if I have to tell you that!) 

My theory (completely untested and based only on my own observations) is that our bodies and brains can only handle one major project at a time. So, while we’re being distracted by pandemics and politics, our minds are looking at our work-in-progress and saying, “I can’t handle that right now.”

What is a writer to do?

Well, we could ignore the news.

Or we could unplug from everyone or anything.

But neither of those are realistic. 

Writers write, remember?

Maybe this is the time to put all that “fight or flight” energy into putting our reaction to the world’s events into our stories.

When historical romance wasn’t working for me back in April, I started writing a cozy mystery. Believe me, thinking and plotting how my bad guy is going to meet his doom (in the form of police handcuffs) is a great outlet for my 2020 emotional roller coaster!

Or when I need a break from my cozy, I go back to my historical romance. There is nothing like escaping to the Old West where the deer and the antelope play. Living in another world for a while is a great way to handle the 2020 stress.

Still don’t feel like you can write? I’m sure authors sixty years ago felt the same way.

But think of this: Where would our culture be without the books I listed above? There would never be an offer we couldn’t refuse, Scout would only exist in Harper Lee’s imagination, and Sam I Am would still be trying to get someone – anyone – to try green eggs and ham.

Where will our culture be if you never wrote the story God has laid on your heart? 



The comments are open and waiting for you! Have you had trouble writing during the past year? Or has it been a year of great inspiration and productivity for you?

Where do you see your writing going in 2021?

One commenter will win an audio copy of "The Sound of Distant Thunder," book one in The Amish of Weaver's Creek series!




 

 

 


23 comments:

  1. You know I saw editors handing out absolution to authors on social media, knowing that creativity might be stymied by all that was going on and you know the creative mind can be sensitive.

    (This line is probably not assigned to me because I am not particularly sensitive... I'm more of a Let's Fix This type, and we just get mad and get going)

    But knowing folks with sensitivities I actually had to try and be nice.

    Comforting.

    Supportive.

    IT WAS EXHAUSTING!!!!!

    What I did notice was that my characters were angry.... :) I had to go back and tone them down, so that was me channeling my frustration.

    OH MY STARS, that was a funny wake-up call.

    I find that if I plug away in the wee smalls before the thoughts of the day interfere, I can get the job done... Even if I have to go back and lessen the characters' frustration. :)

    Writers write.

    My family that worked in the grocery business throughout the pandemic (and still is) had to show up for work every day.

    Why not us?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthy, I'm more of a let's-fix-it type too. I had to be to survive. When I thought someone was whining too much I just stepped back unless they specifically asked me for advice, because each of us processed 2020 in different ways. But I agree with your principle of Just Doing It. Love the example of the grocery business. My secular job is in print journalism, what's left of it, and we are definitely not allowed to wait for inspiration, there's a little thing called deadlines, right? Anyway that's what I think...

      Delete
    2. Oh, you're so right, Ruthy!

      My characters have become quite angry, too, so I gave them a reason to be. I can hardly wait until I reach the end of my cozy where I plan to let a secondary character tell the bad guy exactly what she thinks of him!

      I may have to tone that conversation down in editing...

      Delete
  2. Some day I'll get on here earlier than Ruthy. That would mean I should get up with the chickens. That would mean I had to GET chickens.
    Writing was my refuge during the early days of the pandemic. I went deep with my characters and WIP, possibly deeper than I'd ever gone before. I didn't write ABOUT the pandemic and probably never will, but I channeled those feelings into my work. I hope I did it right.
    I remember the Sixties. All of it. Was Beatlemania on your list? The Later SIxties were definitely a time of turmoil and division, though we didn't have tech or social media to "help" it along. It was a world gone mad, which is why I'm more sanguine than many about the current distress. God got us through the Sixties and He'll get us through this. I wish I could tell young people not to commit suicide, they will get through this. Or they could.
    Good post for King Day.
    Jan, I think what we do is two-fold. We do escape to simpler times, especially with historical romance, but we also use the simpler times to highlight universal truths. My Caroline in "Westward Hope" longed for love in the same way as a computer programmer in a high-rise, and needed Christ in the same way. We are, well, us.
    I have a lot of Monday brouhaha to do including Bible study and setting up things for my secular work, so hope to be back later but if not, see you Wednesday.
    Kathy Bailey
    Your Kaybee
    Working it all out in New Hampshire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gave up trying to get here before Ruthy YEARS ago! Try living in a time zone two hours later than her! For a while, I'd stay up late to be one of the first commenters (midnight Eastern Time, ten o'clock for me,) but I don't want to stay up that late.

      And yes, remembering the Sixties and knowing we got through that upheaval is a great help these days. I've learned to wait and see what God has planned. But that never means it hasn't been hard.

      I'm glad you were able to get a lot of writing done during 2020! And books published! You go, girl!

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Jan. I'm thrilled at where the Lord has brought me.

      Delete
  3. What a super post!
    I was in my teen years during the 60s. I remember all of that and the tension of watching the news every day. Yes, we got through it! I am not a write ( except for reviews of Christian Fiction) but I live your quote about where would our culture be! And we need to be encouragers . Somebody out there needs to hear what we have to say. Excellent post! Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Paula. And thank you for being a reviewer! Where would writers be without you!

      And I believe this with all my heart: "Somebody out there needs to hear what we have to say." Exactly. That's why we need to tell our stories.

      Delete
  4. Jan, this is so perfect for me right now. To be perfectly open and honest, I'm doing a little soul-searching at this moment about whether or not I am called to write or if I even have a story to share. This gives me some things to add to that list to think about.

    My daughter and I had a conversation somewhat like this just last night. She is outspoken about her faith on TikTok and apparently her latest video got a lot of views, and about half of the comments were kind of hateful. I reminded her that she's just supposed to speak the Truth if that's what God has asked her to do, then stand behind those words. We aren't in charge of how other people receive them. The Lord puts us where He wants us and when He wants us to do His work and share His message. That reminder is so reassuring to me as I determine what I'm meant to say as well. Thanks for the good words, Jan. And no need to put my name in the drawing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glynis, you gave your daughter some very sound advice. Just like in our writing, God has a message He wants us to share, a message He laid on our hearts that only that person can share in their own unique way. Something to think about in the midst soul-searching. Does God have a message He wants YOU to share?

      Delete
    2. What Mindy said. :-)

      And kudos to your daughter. It takes guts to put the Truth our there, especially on social media. But our God - to quote one of my favorite movies - is bigger than the boogie-man. We speak the Truth, then rely on Him. Let the negative comments slide off like water off a duck's back.

      Keeping you in my prayers, Glynis!

      Delete
  5. Wonderful post, Jan! With all the chaos of the past year, getting sidetracked has never been easier. I have to say, though, that it's actually made me more productive. Writing allows me to escape reality and feel as though I'm in control. Honestly, there are times I wonder how I would have gotten through the past year had it not been for writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit that the past year has found me much less than productive. Many things have happened to distract me, and not having a contract right now makes it hard to get motivated.

      But I've learned a LOT about myself and how I need to approach writing, and I have a plan for 2021.

      Delete
    2. I agree with Mindy. Writing has been MY refuge.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the post Jan. It caused me to search myself some. Although I like to be a "fixer", these past few months have been much more than I could even reason through, let alone try to fix. It left me with feelings of desperation, and I don't like being in that place. It is good to think back on other tumultuous times and see that there really has been light at the end of the tunnel, it gives us hope for the future.

    But, it hasn't been all bad...I have grown closer to God, made new Christian friends(although I haven't met most of you in person), I took a giant step towards my long desired writing passion...and when you mix all of that together, I have found my place of peace in this world. I pray, I write, and I stay close to likeminded Christian friends. What could be better! Oh, and I must add, I found and know how to use the power "off" button on the TV remote, and when that fails I have earbuds!

    I would love to be in the drawing for the audio book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lynne!

      I think a lot of us have found the 2020 served to bring us closer to God. It has been that kind of year.

      And I've been enjoying life without television. When we moved from the city into the mountains in 2019, we no longer had antenna reception for our TV. We never signed up for a cable service, so we watch movies or old TV shows. No news, no prime time television, and the television is off much more than it's turned on. Peace reigns!

      Delete
  7. "If humans can land a man on the moon, there is nothing they can't do!"

    Talk about optimism!
    Talk about all the great discoveries that came out of the space program!
    Talk about July 20, 1969!

    I remember the quote about 'interesting times' when I hear it from RFK. I found a report on that speech below:

    "In 1966 Robert F. Kennedy delivered a speech that included an instance: There is a Chinese curse which says 'May he live in interesting times.' Like it or not, we live in interesting times. They are times of danger and uncertainty; but they are also the most creative of any time in the history of mankind."

    Many times over the decades since I have thought about that quote. Of course, in China back then, 'interesting times' often meant revolutions in which the losers were usually executed.


    If conflict is the engine of story, then these are great times for fiction writers. Harness that energy. Don't let it dissipate like beautiful summer lighting displays -- often as silent as a whisper in outer space.

    It's not a matter of the glass being half full, it is a cup that is creatively overflowing.

    "Live long and prosper."
    Star Trek, 1960s

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I left out a LOT of events that happened in the 1960's! There were many stellar moments, including the moon landing! It was a century of change packed into ten short years.

      For many people, creativity is energized by change. For some of us, it's only after the tumultuous time that we can gain some perspective and consider how it has affected us. That's when our creativity kicks in - kind of a delayed reaction.

      Delete
    2. Hi Jan:

      Oh, yes, 'time release creativity' -- I think they invented that in the '60's, too.

      I just heard a commercial for Tacovas Boots which ran: "We'll treat you right and shoot you straight." That's one of those lines that the writer should check for alternate meanings. It might also have lost something in the translation.

      BTW: I already have a copy of "Distant Thunder". Good luck to the winner. They are going to enjoy it.

      Delete
  8. Great post, Jan. Yes, 1968 was probably one of the worst years in modern times. But the year ended with Apollo 8 orbiting the moon on Christmas Eve and the astronauts showing pictures of the earth and reading from Genesis. I remember watching it at my grandparents' house where we were celebrating Christmas. It was such a wonderful ending to a tumultuous year. I saw a bit of a parallel this year when we ending 2020 with the "Christmas Star." My hubby and I drove out to the country to get a good view. So many people were out and about doing the same thing. It felt like such a coming together of something good as people looked to the heavens for a little bit of peace.

    As for writing, I have had a hard time of it this year. But I have hope for this next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of the parallel of the famous Apollo 8 earthrise picture and the Christmas Star of 2020! Cool. :-)

      Delete
  9. There was a writer, although I can't recall her name, who said she was on deadline when her husband died. She finished that book and, I believe, completed it on time. I doubt I could have separated my grief from my work.

    This past year has been challenging to say the least, just as 1968 was. My energy in 2020 focused on uplifting my family, creating a safe home environment and, most important, covering every need with prayer. Yes, I wrote, but not with my usual enthusiasm. I'm still watching events unfold and wondering what the future will hold. And I continue to pray.

    You may remember the Bob Dylan song: "For the times they are a-changin!"

    ReplyDelete
  10. "For the times they are a-changin!"


    On May 9, 1960, the FDA approved the pill igniting the sexual revolution while allowing for free love, mini-skirts, bra-burning, and California dreaming. It was a great time to be a young guy.

    Yet, I was in cold, rainy, New Jersey when I first heard the Beach Boys. That night I asked my father if we could move to California. Shockingly he said, "Yes we'll be moving after school gets out in a few weeks." And we did.

    While I lived in the LA area for years, I never got the see the Beach boys. However, they came twice to Tulsa in 2020 and I saw them both times!

    Sometimes it is true: the more things change, the more they stay the same.

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."