Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Writing Reflections in the New Year

By Debby Giusti

Today, I'm sharing my reflections on the writing life along with a few patriotic memes.

Each of us started our writing journey for a reason. Some of us wanted to see our names in print. Others may have yearned for fame and fortune. But most of us probably put pen to paper because we had a tale to tell. That initial “story of our heart” propelled us forward and gave us the wherewithal to not only begin writing but to keep working until we typed “The End.” The process of taking an idea and developing it into full-length fiction exhilarated us, and before long we were creating the next story and the one following.

We worked long hours, often in less that comfortable conditions. Our stories were sometimes maligned or misunderstood, and we learned the hard truth that rejection was part of the writing process. Yet we forged on, honing our craft in hopes of creating the best possible story so we could attract an editor and land a contract.

No matter the reason we began to write, we soon discovered new reasons to continue writing.


Most of us sit alone at our computers, usually in small work spaces in our homes. In the past, conferences and writing events provided opportunities to meet other writers face-to-face. Now we interact on FaceTime, Zoom or other video conferencing sites.

It doesn’t take long for anyone who attended RWA National or ACFW in the past to realize that writers are creative and motivated. We’re life-long learners who strive for excellence. We’re also a warm and welcoming group that forms friendships quickly.

We’ve seen that in Seekerville. What started as a handful of women on the road to publication has turned into a blog community, a family of writers and readers, who share a common love for the written word.

Writers on this blog—and indeed the majority of writers I know—support and encourage one another. We find opportunities to share what we’ve learned in hopes of smoothing the path for those who come after us. We post blogs or teach workshops to pass on tips and techniques. A few of us lead writing classes, others publish how-to books or host mentoring groups and brainstorming sessions. All of us are focused on the same destination, yet the journey never ends because there’s always something new to learn.

Some folks write for their own personal satisfaction, but most of us create stories for our readers…for the high school graduate applying for his or her first job, for the single mom struggling to pay the rent or the guy who works two jobs to send his kids to college or the mother of five who finds a few minutes to read at the end of her busy day. Whether reader or writer, we speak the common language of story that breaks down barriers and makes us kindred spirits, sharing the same love for the written word. Connecting through email or letters or personal contact makes us work all the harder to create stories that uplift and inspire and touch our readers’ hearts. 


Looking back on my writing journey, it’s not the books I’ve written that bring me joy; rather, it’s the people I’ve met because of those books. 

As always, I thank God for the writer and reader friendships that I wouldn’t have if I hadn’t started on the road to publication years ago.


I also thank God for Seekerville, a cyber home that stretches around the world. Each of you are at the top of my list of blessings. Thank you for bringing joy to my life and for giving me a reason to write. 

The past year has been topsy-turvy to say the least and the future is filled with question, especially with the recent attacks on free speech. In the days ahead, I hope we’ll continue to publish our stories and be able to maintain our connections online. No matter what happens, God is in charge and His Will shall prevail. 

Today, as our government changes leadership, I offer the following prayer that has been meaningful to me.

Written by Pedro de la Cruz

God bless you, dear friends, and God bless America.

Share the blessings you’ve discovered on your own writing journey. What motivates you to keep moving forward as you work toward publication and beyond? 

Wishing you abundant blessings,

Debby Giusti

www.DebbyGiusti.com

 HIDDEN AMISH SECRETS

Her temporary Amish homecoming

could get her killed.

Julianne Graber left her Amish life behind after a family tragedy, but now she’s back to sell the family home— and someone’s dead set on getting rid of her. With her neighbor William Lavy by her side, Julianne must uncover dangerous secrets to make sense of the past and present. Can she find justice for her family—and a future with Will—before the killer hits his target?

Pre-Order on Amazon!


25 comments:

  1. Good morning Debby,
    Thanks for an insightful post. SO much to think about here. I've been studying the American Revolution for a possible new series and I am as always deeply moved by what the Colonists managed to accomplish. They didn't only create a country, they created THIS country. Something that had never been done before. The Founding Fathers weren't perfect, but they made something that will stand the test of time and even stand the test of 2020-2021.
    People had to sacrifice for those ideals -- in the Revolution, War Between the States, World wars I and II and the Civil Rights movement. We kept trying till we got it right. We'll keep trying.
    I write to tell stories, and now to tell the Old Old Story. I love being published and came to publication late (I was 68!), so it's all a grand adventure and dream fulfilled. Ruthy is right, it is a business, and I strive to be as professional and goal-oriented as I can. But the greatest joy is still when I'm alone with my computer and I Get Something Right, or one of my characters does something even I didn't see coming.
    I do enjoy Seekerville, the closeness and all the little in-jokes that have grown up over the years, Ruthy being bossy, Julie being a "caffeinated drama queen," and Mary and Ruthy's pretend sniping at each other. Helen making the coffee (yes, I go back that far). And the place where I became, ever and always, Kaybee.
    Working at home today, may be back later.
    Kathy Bailey
    Your Kaybee
    Ready for another round in New Hampshire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your memories of Seekerville in years past, KB! Your mention of Helen making coffee made me smile!

      I'm so proud of your determination and where you are now! Published and doing so well with your stories. Congrats on your success! Age doesn't matter. Really. Perhaps I should say that writing knows no age.

      Again, congrats and hugs!

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Debby. Writing is one of the things we CAN do even as we age. Not like being a boat show model or NFL quarterback.

      Delete
  2. Good morning, Debby. I love reading your encouraging words and as I read the prayer for our nation my spirit was moved. Thank you for your books and for your light that shines brightly. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucy, thank you for your sweet comment. I love how we've connected and made a strong friendship through Seekerville and FB. You and yours remain in my prayers!

      Delete
  3. I love stories and I love others who love stories as well. This community has given me so much. Thank you all, and thank you, Debby, for those beautiful words today. That prayer, especially, is so important. God bless America (and the rest of the world, too)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debby does good prayers. I have her "Writer's Prayer" on my desk.

      Delete
    2. Glynis, I'm so glad we can come together in prayer! That's the blessing of sharing our Christian faith! Bless you, dear friend!

      Delete
    3. KB, thank you for mentioning The Writer's Prayer. As you probably know, the Lord gave me that prayer after my first book sold. He knew I needed the prayer more than anyone, but I'm always touched to hear that it is meaningful for others as well.

      Delete
  4. Debby, I loved this post, and that prayer at the end . . . powerful. I am so very thankful for Seekerville! I began visiting here when both of my boys were in elementary school. And now, in five months, I'll be watching one don his cap and gown and launch into the world. It's crazy. In this time, I've written four books (none published), and God has done so much healing in me on this journey. And the best thing is He's given me amazing friends! I am so thankful for each of you Seeker Ladies, and for the the family that connects here each week. Thank you for your heart for writers and for our country!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanne, aren't they great? It IS like a family.

      Delete
    2. Jeanne, I remember when your boys were young and always enjoyed hearing about your beautiful family. Graduation in five months! It's hard to believe. Children grow up too quickly. Thankfully their mothers age more slowly. :)

      I believe in you and your writing, Jeanne. Don't get discouraged and never stop writing.

      Delete
  5. Excellent post, Debby! The writing journey is most definitely a long and winding road. There are twists and turns and unexpected interludes along the way. For me, the best part has been in knowing that God is my constant companion and that has strengthened my relationship with Him. He's brought many wonderful people into my life, strengthened me when I'm weary, guided me, lifted me up when I've stumbled and carried me when I thought I couldn't go on. Even at its worst, it's the best journey ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful words, Mindy! I still treasure the time we spent together at the Denver RWA! I hope we can again attend conferences in person in the not-too-distant future. I miss the hugs, the laughter, the sharing and the sisterhood.

      Love you!

      Delete
  6. Mindy, you are so right. Honestly, I can't imagine doing anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Debby:

    When I went to my first big writer conference what surprised me the most was that I couldn't tell the writers from the fans. I'd approach a group unable to pick the writer out and this was somewhat embracing. In a way, they are us and we are them. There is something wonderful about that. Something that should inspire hope in all of us.

    Just for fun…

    I'm reading Ruth's, "A Hopeful Harvest" and she ends the first chapter with this cliffhanging three word paragraph:

    "End of story."

    I found that extremely funny.

    And then in Ruth's, "Deceiving Death," the big mobster guy who ordered a hit on the hero is named: "Giudicci". Somehow in Italian that name sounds quite familiar. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're Ruthie's biggest fan! She's a wonderful writer. I'm a big fan too!

      Yes, writers conferences are a mix of writers and readers. We're all together...one big happy family! :)

      Delete
  8. Hi Debby! Thank you for this inspiring post!

    Writing is a business, of course, but you've pointed out all the blessings that come in this crazy way of life.

    As writers, we live among people we love - and they love us - but our conversations often end with a lame, "You know, Jan, those are book people, not real people."

    But when we get together in person or in the cyber-world, we are with kindred spirits. Other writers don't look at you funny when you start talking about your imaginary friends. :-) I love hanging out with people who "get" me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Jan! We are a bit different, right?

      Hugs!

      Delete
  9. Thank you, Debby for the encouragement and the wonderful prayers and Bible verses. Seekerville has become my favorite 'Go To' place. All of you are so helpful and wonderful.
    I am in a room of gloom and despair today, yes-full blown pity party, as I watch this country I love so dearly, change before my eyes. I am grasping for every promise God has made. Without Him, we are nothing. Thank you for reminding me, He is still, and always will be in control.
    Now, I am going to put my writing away for today, and pick up my Bible. Then I will eat chocolate and later kick myself for eating the chocolate. Tomorrow I will feel much better...as long as I leave the TV off.
    Remember to pray for the leaders of our country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've been through so much this past year. Thankfully God is in control. I agree, prayer is the answer. We need to pray for our country and our world. I'm worried about foreign enemies who might try to flex their muscles. It's a precarious time no matter who is president.

      God bless the USA!

      Delete
  10. Debby, you are such a treasure. What a blessing you are to the writing community and to the Seekerville community!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so sweet, Erica! I'm sending hugs and love to you at this very moment! :)

      Delete
  11. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I always find inspiration from your beautiful words!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."