Thursday, May 20, 2021

Indie Doesn't Mean You're Alone

 


By Kathy Geary Anderson

One month ago today, I launched my first book baby into the world. Nine months before that (yes, I’m aware of the irony of that time frame) after lots of prayer, some prodding from my husband, as well as a couple of deep conversations with my agent, I made the decision to pursue indie publishing. COVID may have had a voice in that decision, but honestly, I’d been toying with the idea for some time.

One of the biggest reasons I was balking was the thought of having to do everything on my own. Taking on all those tasks and responsibilities alone seemed almost insurmountable. So much to do. So much to learn. Well, it’s ten months later, and guess what? The biggest lesson I learned throughout this whole process was indie publishing is by no means a solo endeavor.

If, like me, you are considering indie publishing, here are some of the people you’ll want on your team:

1.       The Experts. Very few people are experts at everything. If you decide to indie publish, you are taking on a lot of roles. Not only do you need to write your book, but you’ll also need to see that it’s edited, published and marketed well. Like a general contractor on a building project, be willing to hire experts for the jobs you don’t do well. And, even if you consider yourself a pretty good editor, don’t try to edit your own book. Find a good developmental editor. Then, find a copy editor and proofreader. The money spent on their services is well worth it. Don’t know any experts? Ask around. Look at the front matter of indie published books you admire. You’ll often find the names of editors and cover artists there. Then, do your research.  Professionals will usually have lists of references of other books they’ve edited or portfolios of covers they’ve created. Choose more than one name you’d like to work with and be prepared to be flexible with your publishing timeline because the best experts are also often the busiest.

2.       The Teachers. The writing community is one of the best communities I know for sharing knowledge. If you want to learn something, chances are you can find a blog, a YouTube video, or a writing community (like The Seekers) that will be glad to supply the answers. Mark Dawson’s Self-Publishing Formula is one of the most comprehensive sites I know for the indie publisher. If the cost of his entire Self-Publishing 101 is too prohibitive, be aware he has plenty of podcasts and free resources as well. He also offers mini courses at much cheaper prices. Another gold mine of information is the blog at  Reedsy.com. Their easy-to-understand articles helped me wrangle MetaData, ISBNs and BISACS into manageable bites. Also, KDP University, IngramSpark Academy and Draft2Digital all provide tutorials to help navigate publication on their sites. With the wealth of information out there, you’ll be sure to find a teaching style that works best for you.

3.       The Encouragers. This group is a must for any writer, traditionally or indie pubbed. For me, many in this group are fellow authors--friends I’ve met at writers’ conferences, local writers’ groups, and online communities. Shortly after I made the decision to indie publish, God placed me in an online prayer group with a group of authors, the majority of which were all indie published. Their support has been invaluable, not only for the advice and direction they provide, but for their ability to pray me down off the ledge on those days when frustration and anxiety sought to get the better of me. Cultivate your author friendships, but also surround yourself with close friends and family members who, though they may not fully understand your writing journey, are willing and eager to celebrate each milestone you reach along the way. Celebrations are key.

Who are the most important team members in your publishing journey? Leave a comment below to be eligible for a drawing for a free signed print copy of The Trouble with Jenny. Also, drop by my website kathygearyanderson.com and sign up for my newsletter to receive a free prequel to Jenny’s story.

 A south-Texas transplant to the good life of Nebraska, Kathy Geary Anderson has a passion for story and all things historical. Over the years, she has been an English teacher, a newsletter and ad writer, and a stay-at-home mom. When she’s not reading or writing novels, she can be found cheering (far too loudly) for her favorite football team, traveling the country with her husband, or spending time with her adult children. Connect with her at www.kathygearyanderson.com.

 

Click to Buy

She’s always getting into trouble. He’s always getting hurt.

At the turn of the 20th century, New York socialite Jenny Westraven is in trouble . . . again. An orphaned heiress from a large banking family, she’s expected to follow the rules of society and marry according to her wealth and status. But Jenny craves adventure and anything BUT the ordinary. So, when her guardian aunt and uncle return from a European vacation to find Jenny working as a typewriter girl in a Newark law office, they are appalled. Worse yet, they interrupt a kiss between her and her young boss Mr. “Ben” Bennett.

Jenny has been getting Ben in trouble since he was ten, so he’s secretly relieved when her guardians reject him as a suitor. He has other plans for his life, and they don’t include his troublesome childhood friend. When Jenny uses outrageous methods to reject the suitors her family does approve for her, her aunt and uncle decide to send her to her brother in Wyoming.

Then, a family tragedy takes Ben out west as well, and his path crosses with Jenny’s once again. As they work together to end an injustice, what was merely an attraction between them develops into something more. Unfortunately, Jenny’s involvement with another man comes between them and puts her in the worst trouble of her life.

Now Ben must decide whether to risk his heart to rescue her once again or cut his losses and let her go.

Hi, I’m Kathy—a south-Texas transplant to the good life of Nebraska with a passion for story and all things historical. A life-time ago, I earned a Master’s degree in education and over the years that followed have taught school, raised children and written a plethora of ads, newsletters, blogs and stories. Most recently, I retired from my longest, hardest, but most rewarding job as stay-at-home mom. Now an empty-nester, I’m diving full time into my dream of turning the stories in my head into novels. When I’m not reading or writing novels, you can probably find me cheering (far too loudly) for my favorite football team, striking out on traveling adventures with my husband, or spending time with my young adult children.

Kathy's Website

Find Kathy on Facebook

 

19 comments:

  1. I love this! The idea of taking on all the roles myself is the most daunting part of indie pubbing for me. This helps break it down into manageable bites! :)

    Also, loved hanging with you down in Iowa! Your book is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that a pretty cover? I just love it. Excellent, Kathy. Did you hire this done? Do it yourself?

      Delete
    2. It's gorgeous and I had the same question!,

      Delete
    3. I Hired it done. Evelyn at Carpe Librum Book Design is excellent!

      Delete
    4. Thanks Erica. It was fun hanging with you in Iowa also.

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for being with us and sharing your experience, Kathy. I've done some Indie in anthologies with other authors, but I've been timid about doing it on my own since I'm used to my publisher donning most of those hats. I appreciate your encouragement and tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cate this is me, too. Indie pub, which I've just a little of, well, it's all on me. It makes me realize how much a publisher does.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Kate. I've enjoyed being here. All the roles seemed daunting at first, but I was surprised at how simple some of the processes were.

      Delete
    3. Sorry to misspell your name Cate. I should have known better than to rely on voice texting when it comes to names. Believe me, I'm very familiar with the "with-a-K, with-a-C" distinction.

      Delete
  3. This is a great round up of resources! Self-publishing does sound intimidating, but like anything else, learning in small chunks can make the whole process a lot more manageable. I love my Seekerville community as well as my real-life and online AFCW friendships. Writing can be lonely, so having people around who understand is a MUST! Thanks so much for stopping by.

    And I agree with Erica, Mary, and Cate--that cover is so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy, great info and advice. Just as others have mentioned, I've been hesitant to branch out on my own. But you're saying I just need to hire the right team of experts! Thanks for the tip...and for mentioning a number of resources.

    Your story sounds delightful! So glad you could be with us today in Seekerville!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on the book, Kathy. It is a beautiful cover. Thanks for sharing your tips with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful cover. Congratulations, Kathy! And thank you for sharing your wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, there are lots of sources who'll help you publish but where's the discussion on the costs involved? This is something that's rarely talked about. I know many indie authors with beautiful books who've yet to cover their $2,000 and more "investment" costs to bring their book to reality.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're right, Christine. Editors and cover artist's don't work for free, nor should they. As a first-time indie author, I don't expect to cover my costs with only one book. I look at it as an investment in my business. The profits from indie publishing most likely won't come until after I've published several books. I've known many authors who do make a success in the indie world. I'm enjoying the freedom this option gives me but I realize it's not for everyone.

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."