Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Introducing Books and Brew with Andrew Huff

Happy Tuesday from Erica! Welcome to a bonus blog today! I'm so pleased to host friend and fellow Kregel Publications author Andrew Huff today. Andrew writes suspense/thrillers, and he's got a new venture he'd like to tell you about. Take it away, Andrew!




Introducing Books & Brew!


My journey to becoming a published novelist was long and arduous. Hours upon hours of reading, writing, and repeating. One of the things that I found indispensable in the process was learning from other authors. I especially enjoy interacting with authors through conferences, workshops, and critique groups.


Along the way, I've also discovered that when I write I love to have a cup of coffee right beside me. As a matter of fact, many, many, many chapters of mine were not only written while drinking coffee but written inside of a coffee shop. As I've gotten to know other authors, I've discovered the same is often true of them as well. We all love to have some beverage at the ready while crafting imaginary worlds.





Recently, I came up with the idea to put those two things together in a brand new video series debuting on my YouTube channel called Books & Brew. I loved getting to chat with other authors, but I also became interested in not only learning about what kind of brew they like to drink while writing but trying their beverage out myself. This series will introduce you to fiction authors you both know and may not know, learn what their favorite writing drink is, and hear about their secrets to writing great fiction.


I'll be launching the series with great guests such as Jaime Jo Wright, Natalie Walters, Betsy St. Amant Haddox, Erica Vetsch, and more. Episodes will premiere on Sundays, but as a special treat for Seekerville readers, you can preview the first episode right now!





Building Platforms As An Author


Part of my desire to launch this series has been to engage with readers across my platforms in new ways. Authors, veterans and first-timers alike, spend just as much time building "platforms" as they do writing. One of the easiest ways to connect and engage with readers is on the social media websites many of us already use. But another way to engage with your followers is through video, and the year 2020 has proven just how easy it can be for anyone to use video as a way to reach a broader audience.





For Books & Brew, the interviews all take place over Zoom with the meeting recorded to a video file on my local hard drive (here's a handy video on how to set this up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZHSAMd89JE). Given my background in multimedia production, I add some flare to the interviews with branded elements, but you don't have to do this in order to launch your own vlog or interview series. I'm also hosting Books & Brew exclusively on my YouTube channel in order to increase traffic to it, but you could just as easily post your own videos to Facebook or even Instagram using IGTV (find out how here: https://www.facebook.com/help/instagram/225190788256708).


The most important thing I would encourage you to do as you consider how you might utilize video in engaging with your followers is to come up with a unique spin on how the content will be presented. I chose to talk with fellow authors over their favorite beverages, so the video series is as much about trying new coffees and teas as it is learning about the craft of fiction writing. And I came up with the idea simply because I really enjoy drinking coffee! What's your unique spin?


Don't Be Shy


It can be intimidating to create video content when writers are often people who are the least interested in speaking publicly, but video offers you a chance to keep trying until you are satisfied with the result. There are many ways in which you can write what you are going to say in advance and even read it from a screen while recording the video (check out any number of available teleprompter apps for your phone or tablet). Another great way to get around the obstacle of appearing on video is to not do it alone. Find a friend or two and simply record yourselves having a conversation you would normally have!


Now, I know I just said the opposite of this, but the final thing I would say is that you should post your video content to your platforms even when you are not completely satisfied with the end result. Take it from someone who's created a lot of video content: you'll never be fully satisfied with the end result. But you should share what you make anyway! Come to think of it, that is often true of us authors as well, isn't it? We feel like there was a better version of the story than we were able to tell, and yet we wanted to share it with readers anyway. It's more important to get your work out to the audience that will be interested than it is waiting until it reaches some (actually unattainable) level of perfection.





I hope you enjoy Books & Brew, and I can't wait to see what creative writing content you create!


For Discussion


What are some of the obstacles you face when creating content to use on your author platforms?
What are some of the podcasts, vlogs, or other types of media content that you engage with as a reader?
Who are some of the authors you would love to hear from about writing and discover what their favorite brew is?


Author Bio



Andrew Huff is the author of the action-packed Shepherd Suspense Series from Kregel Publications. The first book in the series, A Cross to Kill, was a finalist in the Mystery/Thriller categories of both the 2020 Foreword INDIE awards as well as the 2020 ACFW Carol Awards. Huff now works in Christian media and entertainment after spending 10 years as a youth and creative arts pastor. He currently calls North Texas home where he and his beautiful wife Jae raise their two boys and rescue dog.











THE SHEPHERD SUSPENSE SERIES When journalist Christine Lewis and former CIA operative John Cross first met, neither could suspect how the encounter would forever change the course of their lives. From chasing down international terrorists in Washington D.C. to investigating murder in Dallas, the Shepherd Suspense Series promises thrilling action and adventure mixed with faith and values like you’ve never read before. Andrew Huff delivers what readers are calling a “wild ride” that makes you feel like you’ve “jumped into Jack Ryan or Jason Bourne’s life” (Natalie Walters, author of the Harbored Secrets trilogy).

Get your copies of the Shepherd Suspense Series at: 
or wherever fine Christian fiction is sold!

Visit Andrew's website at: https://www.andrewhuffbooks.com/ where you can sign up for his newsletter and get a free sample of the first THREE chapters of A Cross to Kill!



20 comments:

  1. Love this kind of content on Youtube, so I'll definitely be checking out your channel. We can get so much insight into the writing process and pick up great tips from listening to other authors. And you're absolutely right about coffee and writing. I think if I had to give up coffee, writing might be next on the list of the things to go :) Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glynis, thank you! I feel like a lot of what I've learned about writing has come as much from other authors as it has from any other source. And don't even joke about giving up coffee; I couldn't do it! :)

      Delete
  2. Andrew, thanks for being with us today! And good for you launching Books & Brews! I'll be checking out all your good info on creating videos after I get pages written. When the pandemic hit, I needed to reach out to folks and started posting daily videos of encouragement and prayer. They were short but drew a following of Prayer Warriors who joined with me in praying for the sick, the healthcare heroes and our country. Connecting with so many people during the shutdown uplifted me and allowed me to do something positive to counter what was happening in the world.

    That being said, I'm eager to learn more! Thanks for sharing your expertise and your enthusiasm for Books & Brews with us today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a blessing to see your short videos lift not only yourself but others as well. I'm sure there will be a need for that kind of content even after the pandemic wanes. I hope you continue forward!

      Delete
  3. I'll interject here, that even if you're not a coffee drinker, Andrew bravely tries tea, too! :) I had a blast conversing with him, and I think aspiring writers and brew aficionados will enjoy his videos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This tea junkie is applauding Andrew for his willingness to deviate. ;D

      Delete
    2. When he asked what my favorite coffee was, I was...um...any that smells good, because I like the smell, but I don't drink it! :) We went the Earl Grey tea route for our chat.

      Delete
    3. Funny enough, Natalie was also a tea drinker. So far the coffee and tea tastings are running neck and neck!

      Delete
  4. What a super cool idea for a You Tube channel, Andrew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm excited to find out what my author friends like to drink while they write. :)

      Delete
  5. Excellent interview. We drink Black Rifle Coffee, too. Loved listening to Jamie Jo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really liked the Beyond Black and will have to try other Black Rifle roasts in the future.

      Delete
  6. Welcome to Seekerville, Andrew! What a fun idea. I need to check out some more or your interviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And yes, definitely check them out. I plan on releasing new ones on a regular weekly schedule.

      Delete
    2. Can we get on an email list or sign up for the podcasts somehow?

      Delete
  7. Andrew, thanks for the info on doing videos! I most needed the part about letting go the perfectionism. :)

    I look forward to watching the sneak peek of your interview!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this! I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've given some thought to an online podcast but the actuality of doing is, well, it's overwhelming for some reason. I've been listening to Father Mike Schmidz Bible in a year podcast and really loving it.
    It occurred to me I should read the Bible in a year like that, for You Tube. But the more I listen, the more it seems overwhelming, in some ways it's because he has a really nice speaking voice. There's a happiness, a joy to his tone. And then he does commentary afterward, but not much, but it's really thoughtful and really shows a broad knowledge of scripture. So anyway, I'm not doing that.
    But what then? I don't have something new to say every day or even once a week. I guess I could read my posts here on Seekerville aloud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh Mary! You and Ruthy need to do a podcast together. Please, please, please :)

      Delete
    2. Taking other content you've written and turning it into an audio or video series is a great way to get started. Many people who post videos online will start with writing a blog post that they then turn into a script to read. And I'd echo what Carrie suggested: it's sometimes helpful to have another person involved so you can have the natural energy a conversation brings. Give it a try!

      Delete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."