Monday, May 17, 2021

Revamping: strategies for success in a changing world

 



It’s been fourteen months since our world slammed into a brick wall.



Ouch!  

I don’t know about you, but for me the past year and a little more has been a lesson in digging deep into my character and finding out what I’m really made of.

There’s nothing like social and political upheaval to bring out the best…and worst…in us.

Sometimes I was appalled by what came out of my heart. Terrible things. I yelled at people (while I was in the shower,) and stomped my foot hard (when I was alone,) and even committed murder (okay, characters, not people, but the killing part was quirkily satisfying.)

But once I got past the idea that two weeks would bring us back to normal (about four months into our current situation,) I started pulling out the good stuff. Digging deep into my heart and tapping into the creative part of me that needed to pull up my big-girl panties and get on with life and my career.


 
So, what did I do?

First of all, I took a fresh look at my writing. In January and February 2020, I had two proposals rejected. It was time to reevaluate what I was doing.

Since I am in that miniscule minority that sold the first book I ever wrote and had steady contracts for the next nine years, I had never taken the time to explore different genres and different writing styles. So, I decided to write a mystery.

What did I know about writing a mystery? Nothing. Nada. Zip. Zero.

So in May 2020 I started learning. I read every cozy mystery I could get my hands on. I searched the internet for blog posts on writing mysteries. I sat down with that information and outlined a course of study. I spent three months developing my story, my characters, and a series idea.

In the summer I started writing. Fits and spurts. Do you remember the stereotype of the author typing a few words, ripping the paper from the typewriter in disgust, only to do the same thing with the next sheet of paper? That was me. So many false starts.

But slowly and surely the pieces fell into place, and now the story is almost finished.

Will I write another cozy mystery? I plan to, Lord willing. But I also want to continue writing historical romance (my first love!)

The biggest take-away from this experience is that I love writing again. Love it. It is no longer work, but a joy.


 
The other thing I’ve done to revamp my career is to analyze what was working and not working in my marketing strategies.

When I first started writing, everyone needed to have a blog. Remember those days?

And a website.

And then everyone had to have an author page on Facebook.

But time moves on. Facebook has changed (again – they’re always changing!) And Amazon changed (again!) And my new, big-girl-panties-wearing-self decided I had had enough.

After doing more research, I decided that I needed to quit relying on Mark Zuckerberg or Jeff Bezos to do my marketing for me. It was too expensive – not in cash, but in my sanity. Those two don’t know me, and they wouldn’t care if they did. They are looking out for their best interests, not mine.

I knew I needed to control my own marketing rather than relying on someone else.

So, I revamped my website, which is something I actually own and have control over (unlike social media,) and I started putting more content on my blog to make a visit to www.JanDrexler.com  worthwhile.


Instead of being the dog whose tail was being wagged by tech giants, I’m in control.

Now I use Facebook, MeWe, and my soon-to-be-revamped newsletter to market my website and books and to bring people to fresh and (hopefully!) entertaining content. Instead of being at the mercy of big tech companies, I’m using them to my advantage. It feels good.


All in all, the past year has been a hard one, but a good one. I will be reaping the benefits of my revamping strategies for years to come. Or at least until it is time to revamp again!



What changes have you made in your writing or in your life in the past year? Tell us about them!

One commenter will win a e-book copy of “A Home for His Family,” an historical romance set in the gold rush days of Deadwood.


About the story:

Nate Colby came to the Dakota Territory to start over, not to look for a wife. He'll raise his orphaned nieces and nephew on his own, even if pretty schoolteacher Sarah MacFarland's help is a blessing. But Nate resists getting too close—Sarah deserves better than a man who only brings trouble to those around him.
 
Sarah can't deny she cares for the children, but she can't let herself fall for Nate. Her childhood as an orphan taught her that opening her heart to love only ends in hurt. Yet helping this ready-made family set up their ranch only makes her long to be a part of it—whatever the risk.



 

 

18 comments:

  1. Jan, this is brilliant. Thank you.
    This has been a year of change for me, and, I like to think, growth. Like everyone else, my writing life was affected by COVID. I had more time to write because I couldn't go anywhere, and I was able to finish "Redemption's Hope," the last book in Western Dreams, and get it out to the publisher. But I had to do that around a newly-retired husband who broke his shoulder in September and had a pacemaker put in in February. So it was a balancing act, I also had to take care of him--and get used to having him around. But he's my biggest cheerleader, so when I say I need to write, he'll go off and do something else.
    I think my biggest challenge this year was Learning To Wait. Yeah, yeah, I know, we should all do that, but the pandemic made things run even more slowly. My second Western Dreams came out in July 2020 and I'm still waiting for the paper copies thanks to COVID slowdowns. My nonfiction local history book is also running behind due to slowdowns at the publisher and slowdowns or even closing of the places I need to contact.
    What do we do? We hope. We stand on the promises, or rest in them. We hang on to our calling. And we write.
    Jan, so exciting that you're mastering another whole genre! I've got a cozy in me somewhere, I just know it. I didn't change genres during the shutdown, I'm still doing historical romance, but I changed periods and am now wrestling my way through the American Revolution.
    Can't wait to read your mystery!
    Best,
    KB
    Your Kaybee
    Making it work in New Hampshire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, Kaybee!

      I'm right there with you in the newly-retired husband gig! I didn't mention it in my post, but that was also a big change that 2020 brought. I think it was a bigger adjustment than either of us anticipated, but we eased into it. He went from working full-time+ to part-time to full retirement. I treasure the extra time we have together, but I have had to adjust my writing time to get things done. :-)

      And the Revolutionary War period is one of my favorites! I have an Amish historical series idea for that period waiting in the wings.

      Delete
    2. I treasure the time also. I'd rather have a retired husband to work around than no husband, or to have him still working. It was Time.

      Delete
  2. Jan, I think God wanted rekindle your love for writing and walk through that process with you. And, since life as we know it had changed, it was the perfect opportunity to hunker down and explore what He had for you. Good for you for digging in and being willing to follow His lead.

    Writing has been more of an escape for me this past year than ever before. I mean, when I'm writing, I'm in control (with God's help, of course), unlike real life. So it was empowering to have that control over my characters and their lives. Not to mention it kept me productive. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mindy, isn't it great? Writing really didn't seem like "work," or not as much, with everything else that was going on. I think I fell in love with writing all over again.

      Delete
    2. I think a lot of us felt (feel) that loss of control in our lives. Having some measure of control over our characters and their stories provided a little bit of sanity, didn't it?

      And I love your productivity! More Mindy books is always a good thing!

      Delete
  3. Jan, for what it's worth, I'm so proud of you! Switching genres and taking ownership of your platform is a lot of stretching! I look forward to hearing what God does with your mystery.

    Last year, I started a newsletter and created my website. And, I wrote a short novel, which I absolutely love. now to get the story revised and edited. It feels good to know I can do these things . . . with help from God and those who know more than I do. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jeanne!

      It sounds like you were super productive, too! Congratulations!

      Delete
  4. Jan, I love this. Wow, so encouraging.
    And I have to add...YOU'RE ONE OF THOSE WHO SOLD THE FIRST BOOK YOU EVER WROTE??? I feel like I've just spotted a unicorn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read your comments while I was at the car dealership waiting for the paperwork to be finished on our new-to-us vehicle, and almost laughed out loud!

      Impressive is writing three full length books in one year. And then doing it again the next year.

      It's my turn to be jealous! And impressed!

      Delete
  5. This! I feel it! I've revamped a few things this last year, too, including reviving my love of writing. The lockdown seemed to lock down my brain. It was a hard slog to get the words on the page, for sure. Things are better now, and I'm excited about where I'm headed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We weren't even locked down and I had that locked down brain!

      But there were several high points last year, weren't there? Our kids creating the wedding they wanted in spite of the virus was one of them!

      Delete
  6. Jan, I am looking forward to reading your cozy mystery. I love cozies. My writing really didn't change. I just found it hard to work even when I had all the time in the world. Please put me in the drawing for the book. It looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It is so hard to work when you don't have a schedule. Without being able to go outside the home to work, many people have faced that dilemma in the past year!

      It always seems like we should be more productive in those times, but that's never been the case for me. I have to have a schedule (even if I create it myself,) and I have to discipline myself to stick to it! :-)

      Delete
  7. Jan, I'm so proud of you for taking steps to change with the changing times--something I'm not really good at. Last year was so hard, but I am finally starting feel the fog lift and am excited to get started writing again. I'm not sure what I'll write, but I've also put my notice in at work, so am hoping for extra time this summer to write while I figure out what I'll do. The times are chainging and with God's help I'm ready to change with it. Like usual, these posts are always just what I need to hear, just when I need it! Hope to see you soon, friend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last year was extremely hard.

      So sorry about your job, but I'm happy dancing for the extra writing time!

      And yes! Hope to see you soon!

      Delete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."