Wednesday, July 28, 2021

Cate's Favorite Craft Books #6 and some vacation photos

 It's the end of July, and I've spent the last three weeks in Maine, so it seems only appropriate that I choose a book written by an author from my new home state as this month's favorite craft book. 


Ask writers to list their top ten craft favorite books on writing and inevitably their lists will include Stephen King's On Writing





 I first read On Writing in the early 2000s, shortly after it was released. I remembered really enjoying the book. I'd never read Stephen King before - not a fan of the horror genre - but I was immediately impressed with his storytelling ability. 

As I prepared to write this post, I borrowed a copy from the library because my old copy was unavailable due to being in the middle of a move. I have to admit, although I remembered liking it a lot, I had no idea what it was about (other than the obvious - writing), so when I began to look through it for a refresher, I immediately got caught up in reading it. The book begins with an irreverent look back at King's childhood which left me somewhat aghast but also hanging on every word. As I was rereading it  I was struck by similarities to Roald Dahl's Boy: Tales of Childhood. Both books really make you see just how the experiences of their early lives fueled their imaginations and provided fodder for their stories. 

Because I'm A) in the midst of a move, and B) helping my daughter who just got out of the hospital, I didn't have time to finish rereading the book, so August's post will go more into the actual writing advice part. 

In the meantime, I'll leave you with some photos of Maine, the state that inspired much of King's writing.  It's rained almost every day of the three plus weeks I've been here, and when it wasn't raining, the fog settled it. But I love this kind of weather, so I'm happy. 

We have had some bursts of sun, and Fenway seems happy with his new home.





My daughter and I recently "hiked" up the mountain (in our car). This was the view from the top.


The harbor is gorgeous on a sunny day...




There has been so much rain, that toadstool villages have emerged! 




The webs spun by grass spiders have totally intrigued me. If I was a children's book author, I'd just have to spin a tale of tiny creatures living under the toadstools and leaving sparkling webs on the dew-laden grass.



Good thing I love the foggy days because there have been a lot of them this summer.



Somewhere at the end of the breakwater is the lighthouse. We could hear the foghorn, but the lighthouse wasn't visible, and if we turned and looked back toward shore, this was the view.




So back to writing, have you read On Writing? Does it top your list of favorites? We'll talk more about it in August, but please share your thoughts or tell me about how your summer has been going.

17 comments:

  1. I read the book a few years ago and loved it. I've read one Stephen King book and couldn't finish it because of the content (although I did skim the rest of the pages and read the end because I had to find out how it ended!), but I really enjoyed his style of writing and can absolutely see why he's a bestseller over and over. It's a very worthwhile read, if for no other reason than a reminder that even a gifted writer and storyteller like King has been rejected, so it's okay if we get rejections too.

    That's exciting news about your move! I've never been to Maine, but have always wanted to go. It looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glynis, my daughter started reading The Stand, but 1400+ pages of pandemic was too much for her right now so she set it aside. I've seen some of his books made into movies or miniseries - I remember Storm of the Century captivating me.

      Delete
  2. Maine is a beautiful state. How exciting that you are moving there. I have read On Writing. It was easy to see how he developed some of his stories from his childhood. I have read Misery but I believe that is the only Stephen King book I have read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, when I used to teach Roald Dahl to my 4th grade, it was so obvious where some of his stories came from. I haven't read much King, so I couldn't make specific connections, but the overall mood was clear.

      Delete
  3. Mary Cate, what lovely pictures! How blessed you are to live in such a beautiful place.

    As for On Writing, I bought it, started to read it, but never finished it. While I admit that he's a gifted writer, some of content kind of put me off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mindy, I did wonder if I should include a warning that some might be put off by the language in his memoir section.

      Delete
  4. Hi Cate:

    If I made a list of writing books that I liked the least, "On Writing" would be at the top of the list. So I am glad that you mentioned it here. I bought the book when it came out with high hopes, King sells a lot of books, but could only get about 30 pages into it. I just put it aside.

    My objection is I seek craft books about how to write fiction. I do not want to read biographies or essays on 'the writing life'. I don't think I've finished any of those writing books that are about the writing life…especially if they get into Zen! :)

    However, I may have given up too soon on King's writing book. Does he eventually get into how to write selling fiction? That is something I would like to know about.

    I'd love to see two categories: 1) on the writing life and 2) on the nuts and bolts of writing fiction. I'd really like to see a top 10 list of books in each category.

    Top of the Nuts and Bolts List:
    1. GMC
    2. Elements of Style
    3. The Power of POV by Alicia Rasley

    That's a start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vince, in his second forward to the book, King recommends The Elements of Style as THE book every aspiring writer should read.
      The first half of On Writing is the memoir part. The second half is called The Toolbox and that's where he gets into the writing advice. I'll focus on that in August.

      I remember studying with Alicia Rasley aeons ago.

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed On Writing, although I've never read any of Stephen King's fiction. I did read the first page of Cujo, but couldn't go on. Horror is definitely NOT my genre!

    I love the Maine pictures! I'm so excited for this new chapter in your life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jan. I give you credit for even opening Cujo. The idea of it terrifies me.

      Delete
  6. Hi Cate:

    We used to visit Maine when I was a child growing up. Always loved Maine but it seemed to be cold even in July. My wife likes a mystery writer who has a character who is a game warden in Maine. The series is: Mike Bowditch Mysteries by Paul Doiron. His books make me think of Nevada Barr's National Park series. You might find him of interest. I believe all the stories are set in Maine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should mention him, Vince. My daughter was renting a house right down the street from him all winter.

      This July has not been particularly cold. Most days are in the 70s but the sun is hot!

      Delete
    2. Vince I'm a huge Nevada Barr fan. I'm going to look up Mike Bowditch.

      Delete
  7. On Writing is sitting on my desk shelf waiting to be packed away for our upcoming move. :) our summer has been filled with househunting trips and purging while packing. Trips down memory lane too.I am looking forward to settling in and finding time to read On Writing and Bird by Bird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like we're having similar summers, Lee-Ann. Good luck with your move.

      Delete
  8. I am in love with these pictures! What a lovely and rugged place Maine must be, the ideal place to kick back and write great stories! Go you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have read On Writing. It was a look at a strange mind. Part auto-biography, part How To book. I'm not a big Stephen King fan just because I don't like horror. But he's very talented. I read On Writing really late in my writing journey and mostly I'd read his advice and think, Yep, that's right.

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."