Monday, July 26, 2021

How Pre-orders benefit your favorite authors.



Did you know that pre-ordering a book is one of the most helpful things you can do for an author? Here are a few of the benefits, in case you wondered:



  • The publisher is watching to see if there is any pre-publication buzz...and if there is, they are more likely to put even more marketing effort/dollars behind a book to build even more buzz.

  • With so many books coming out all the time, hopping into your local bookstore and asking them to pre-order a book sends them a signal that something good is coming out. They often order two or three in addition to your pre-order to have it in the store on release day. 

  • Pre-order sales are added into the first week sales when the book is published, and all of those pre-orders can be just what is needed to get a book on a bestseller list. That "Bestseller" cache is a big one for authors. Whether it's the NYT, USA Today, ECPA, or Publisher's Weekly, hitting a bestseller list garners attention for the book, which can generate even more sales.

  • Whatever weird math makes up the Internet, when there are pre-orders and buzz about a book, the mystery algorithms pick up on that buzz and spread it farther. Online retailers pick up on those mystery algorithms and promote the book on their sites.  

  • Asking your library to pre-order a book is HUGE! Authors love libraries. Libraries get authors' books into the hands of so many readers, and many true book lovers will investigate a new author via the library, and if they like the stories, will go out and purchase the author's whole backlist.  

  • Pre-ordering has a couple upsides for readers, too. You often get the book before the publication date if you order a print copy. Amazon often ships before the pub date. Also, pre-ordering means you order now, pay when the book ships. And, if you pre-order, you won't miss the release!

As authors, we thank all of you who read our books, whether you pre-order, get it through the library, share books with friends, print, ebook, or audio. We're just glad you're reading our stories and enjoying the bookish life!




Best-selling, award-winning author Erica Vetsch loves Jesus, history, romance, and sports. She’s a transplanted Kansan now living in Minnesota, and she is married to her total opposite and soul mate! When she’s not writing fiction, she’s planning her next trip to a history museum and cheering on her Kansas Jayhawks and New Zealand All Blacks. You can connect with her at her website, www.ericavetsch.com where you can read about her books and sign up for her newsletter, and you can find her online at https://www.facebook.com/EricaVetschAuthor/ where she spends way too much time!






Jane Austen meets Sherlock Holmes in this new Regency mystery series

Newly returned from finishing school, Lady Juliette Thorndike is ready to debut in London society. Due to her years away, she hasn't spent much time with her parents, and sees them only as the flighty, dilettante couple the other nobles love. But when they're lost at sea, she discovers she never really knew them at all. They've been living double lives as government spies--and they're only the latest in a long history of espionage that is the family's legacy.

Now Lady Juliette is determined to continue their work. Mentored by her uncle, she plunges into the dangerous world of spy craft. From the glittering ballrooms of London to the fox hunts, regattas, and soirees of country high society, she must chase down hidden clues, solve the mysterious code her parents left behind, and stay out of danger. All the while, she has to keep her endeavors a secret from her best friend and her suitors--not to mention nosy, irritatingly handsome Bow Street runner Daniel Swann, who suspects her of a daring theft.

Can Lady Juliette outwit her enemies and complete her parents' last mission? Or will it lead her to a terrible end?

Best-selling author Erica Vetsch is back with a rollicking, exciting new series destined to be a hit with Regency readers who enjoy a touch of mystery in their love stories. Fans of Julie Klassen, Sarah Ladd, and Anne Perry will love the wit, action, and romance.

Pre-order your copy here: https://smile.amazon.com/Debutantes-Thorndike-Swann-Regency-Mysteries/dp/0825447135


19 comments:

  1. Hi Erica: What I like best is when a pre-order is at a special 'pre-order' discount until publication date. What I don't like is when thirty days after the publication date such discounts are given. That's like punishing the 'pre-order' buyers. What do authors think of these marketing methods?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Authors often have no control over the pricing if they are traditionally published, I'm afraid. Some retailers will honor price reductions for a period of time.

      Delete
    2. Vince I know Amazon's policy is if you pre-order and the price goes down before the book goes on sale, you get the lower price.

      Delete
    3. Hi Erica:

      Another good thing about pre-sales is that they are most likely going to readers who like your work or at least the book's theme or genre. Having the first readers, and hopefully reviewers, who already like your work can give a good boost to those early and critical sales.

      Delete
  2. I admit that I'm not always very good about pre-ordering books. Now that I understand a little about what's behind that, I'll try to be better about it. Thanks for the info. And that new series sounds like fun. I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Glynis, I am glad amazon lets me know when I've preordered a book, because sometimes I see it again and think "I need to get that book ordered." and I would totally order it twice!

      Delete
    2. I've done this including, just last week, I realized I'd never finished reading a series when I was cleaning out a book shelf, saw the book and wondered why I'd saved it since I could barely remember it, so I want to see about the rest of the series and BAM Amazon tells me I've already ordered them on Kindle like...five years ago. I guess whatever prompted my desire for the book and series was vague because I never followed through and read the books. Unless I did and can't remember.

      Delete
    3. MARY: many readers are attracted to the 'next shiny new thing' and that is often the promise of a new release. Pre-release sales can be very shiny but when they come out there will be new shinny gems to compete with. That's why many readers have huge 'to be read' piles.

      I also truly believe that it is far easier to sell books than the actually get them read. Usually books need to be read in order for them to sell your next book. It is wise to always make your next chapter the brightest new shining thing! :)

      Delete
    4. Vince, :) I'm big into being distracted by shiny things when I have other things to do.

      Delete
  3. Erica, such a great post about pre-orders! Thank you for sharing.

    Your story looks so exciting! Congrats...and it starts a new series...even better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful post, Erica!

    I knew about the magic of pre-orders, but didn't realize how far-reaching it was when you add in the internet algorithms. Like Glynis, I need to up my pre-ordering game.

    And The Debutante's Code! I enjoyed every word of it! Everyone NEEDS to preorder this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Thank you for reading an early copy of TDC! :D

      Delete
  5. Great post, Erica. I did not know all this about pre-orders. Your new book looks good. I am heading to work at the bookstore soon, so I will pre-order it there!

    I look forward to seeing you Saturday at the Reader's Retreat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woohoo! Sandy! I can't wait to meet you on Saturday, too! Come and find me!!

      Delete
    2. Sandy! I can't wait to see you on Saturday, too!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for this post Erica. I like to pre-order from my favorite authors. And if there's a new to me author's book that is getting a lot of buzz, I check my library and reserve my copy so I can discover what the fuss is all about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) Reserving a copy at the library is a brilliant way to try out a new author! :)

      Delete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."