Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Make Them Care

 

by Mindy Obenhaus

A novel is an invitation to embark on the journey that lies within its pages. As the author, our job is to capture the reader’s attention on page one and make them want to keep reading.

How do we do that?

By crafting multidimensional characters readers care enough about to be willing to invest themselves in.

We all know that each character needs a goal, motivation and conflict. In my latest release, A Future to Fight For, my heroine’s goal is to purchase an abandoned castle. Her motivation is that she wants to get back into the wedding planning business, but she lives in a small Texas town so she needs something special to draw interest and a castle will do just that. The problem (conflict) is that someone else (the hero) also wants to purchase the castle.

Those are the basics. But let’s dig a little deeper so we can really get to know our heroine. Because the better we know our characters the more our readers will know them. And the more they know, the more they care what happens to those characters and that will keep them reading.

So if our heroine wants to get back into the wedding planning business, that means she was once a wedding planner. So what happened?

Her husband and son were suddenly taken away in a tragic accident, robbing her of her passion and causing her to walk away from the successful business she’d worked hard to build.

Okay, so why does she want to return to it now?

After running a bed and breakfast and catering weddings and other events for the past five years, her love for creating fairytale weddings has reignited, filling her with a purpose she’d been lacking. However, our heroine isn’t just thinking about herself and her desires. No, no, no. She knows that hosting weddings and other events will also boost the revenue of the tiny town she’s grown to love, which shows that she cares for others. 


As an author, asking “why” forces us to dig deeper. There has to be a reason our characters think/act the way they do. The more we know about them, the more real they become to the reader who, in turn, becomes so invested in the characters they have to keep reading.

Yet while there’s a lot of stuff to make the reader cheer for my heroine, my hero isn’t quite so likeable. He’s a prickly sort and, when the story opens, there’s no love lost between him and the heroine. So how do you make someone likeable when they’re behaving like a jerk?

Give the reader glimpses of their heart. Something that’s easier to do when we’re in their POV. Unfortunately, the first time we meet the hero, we’re in the heroine’s point of view and we know right away that she’s not particularly fond of him and why. So, I had to show him doing something endearing like helping the heroine when she’s about to topple a load of baked goods and buying some lemon cookies because they’re his daughter’s favorite. Little hints that let us know our cranky fellow might have a heart, after all.

Of course, as the story unfolds, we learn that our hero has some deep wounds, too. Throw in a couple of kids he’ll do anything for, and you’ve got a recipe for plenty of push and pull between the hero and heroine.

“Why” can be a writer’s greatest tool to help dig beyond our character’s superficial GMC’s to unearth a treasure trove of details that will not only help you the author know your characters better, but will transcend to the story to capture the reader’s attention and make them care about the characters they often come to think of as friends. 

What tricks or tools do you employ to get to know your characters better?

Award-winning author Mindy Obenhaus is passionate about touching readers with Biblical truths in an entertaining, and sometimes adventurous, manner. She lives on a ranch in Texas with her husband, two sassy pups, countless cattle, deer and the occasional coyote, mountain lion or snake. When she's not writing, she enjoys spending time with her grandchildren, cooking and watching copious amounts of the Hallmark Channel. Learn more at www.MindyObenhaus.com

34 comments:

  1. Well, Mindy, that's probably what's wrong with my WIP. And why I got to the last three chapters and couldn't finish it. Because even I don't care about these people.
    I realized over the last month that I haven't let go of "Western Dreams," my first series, yet. Maybe that's mu problem. I'm still roaming the prairie with Jenny and White Bear when I should be skulking around Lexington and Concord with Clarissa and Will. So much for trying to branch out. I need to take a good hard look at the Revolution book over the next week or so.
    It's been fun around here. I got the edit letter for "Redemption's Hope" and the page proofs for my nonfiction history book in the same week. THAT was a marathon, I stayed at the computer for the greater part of two days. But it got done.
    My Facebook friends will probably remember that our car got smashed up last week, which accelerated a number of things: replacing it, and also sorting through the items from my father's house that were STILL IN THE TRUNK>. So I have to accelerate my fall cleaning to make room for whatever we decide to keep. It has taken on a life of its own.
    My first nonfiction history book with Arcadia comes out Sept. 20 and "Redemption's Hope," the last book in Western Dreams, comes out some time this fall. It could get interesting.
    Great post, Mindy, and I am going to take this one to heart.
    Kathy Bailey
    Your Kaybee
    Slightly frazzled in New Hampshire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, your life does sound hectic! Prayers that you'll get a bit of a breather soon.

      Delete
    2. Kathy, what a busy little bee you are. And I saw that about your car. What a pain. On many levels.

      Yeah, if you don't care about your characters, Kathy, how are we supposed to care about them? You need to fix that. Get to know them better. Sit down and have a cup of Earl Gray with them and just chat. Forget the prairie and concentrate on all those towns and sites you've visited. Imagine your characters there. And ask your characters (or yourself) questions like, I don't know, WHY! ;) Dig for those motivations. Dig to uncover their past. I'm handing you a shiny new shovel, my friend. Now go get it dirty.

      Delete
  2. I have a hard time making my characters unique enough and giving them enough motivation to make myself or others care. If the motivation isn't good, there's not enough risk involved in losing, and it doesn't matter in the end. Asking why--and continuing to ask why--is the perfect antidote to reader apathy. Thands, Mindy! I've got the new book on my pile ready to read soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glynis, you are so right. It's all about motivation -- and goals and conflict.
      KB

      Delete
    2. Glynis, when you keep asking "why," you'll be surprised what you might learn. Then, suddenly, you're more invested in your characters. And when you're invested, readers will be, too. Asking why helps us to find out what makes them tick. What their wounds are. Why they're passionate about certain things. Think on that as you read the first scene in my book and you'll see where I asked why. Now, granted, things have to be sprinkled, not dumped, but you'll have what you need to start putting the pieces of the puzzle together.

      Delete
    3. Kathy, I was obviously in a hurry and phrased that last comment incorrectly. It should say that sprinkling is an art that can be learned. I didn't mean for it to sound as though I was calling you out.

      Delete
  3. A lovely post on this September 1st! I'm off to deepen the character's motives and backstory in my current proposal! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this great post, Mindy. I'm just now getting back into writing. This will help me create characters I love, which will make others love them, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, let me be the first to welcome you back to the wonderful world of writing, Jan. I hope "Why" sparks an array of ideas for you.

      Delete
  5. Dearly Beloved Seekervilllians
    and friends of many years.


    It is with profound sadness that I request your prayers and thank you for the so many blessings I've experienced in this community.

    I've just entered hospice for what is expected to be a short stay. My wife, Linda, is with me 24/7 which is a great comfort. When I was in grade school, 1953, a nun taught us about 'St. Joseph being the patron saint of the Happy Death'. I remember at the time thinking, "I want one of those". It now seems obtainable and indeed much desired.

    Seekerville is a place of faith and one I will forever be thankful for providing me with so many steadfast friendships. God bless you all. May we meet again in glory on the other side.

    With all the love I have left,

    Vince Mooney

    (Please note that Vince may not have the strength to answer posts.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vince, I'm so saddened by this news.
      God bless you my friend.
      I'm so glad I got a chance to meet you and spend time with you. I'll always think of you and Will Rogers together.
      May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

      Delete
    2. Vince, you most definitely have our prayers. You've been such a faithful friend here on Seekerville. You challenge us, sometimes frustrate us, as family often does. You are one of us and you will be missed. That doesn't mean we're giving up hope. And we pray with hopeful hearts. Godspeed.

      Delete
    3. Blessings to you Vince, dear friend.

      "Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his faithful servants." Psalm 116:15

      Keeping you in my prayers as you look forward to the next chapter.

      Delete
    4. Dearest Vince,

      How I have treasured our friendship and your wisdom over the years, even when we laughed, scolded, lamented and sighed over this, that and the other thing. You have encouraged, cheered and occasionally berated, but above all you have been honest and straightforward, two traits you know I love!

      My friend, there is no shadow of the valley for you. For a good man such as yourself, there is only grace, peace and light, the peace of eternal salvation, the grace of Christ's sacrifice for us, and the light of joy, knowing we will all be reunited around that great library table in the sky.

      Or wherever it is.

      Please know that you are loved. Please know that you are cherished and that your support of me and my work has made me proud and happy. What a blessing you've been, my friend.

      Be at peace. Be with God. And wishing God's best blessings on Linda as she mans this final vessel in this journey called life.

      You are loved, my friend.

      Ruthy

      Delete
    5. Vince, you have been such a presence on Seekerville. I am sad to hear your news and will be praying for you and Linda.

      Delete
    6. Dearest Vince,

      You have my prayers, dear friend! I'm asking for the days ahead to be filled with love and comfort and also for a peaceful and joyful transition from this life to the next. I like to think of it as falling asleep here and waking in Eternal Glory. Yes, St. Joseph is the Patron of Happy Deaths, which is what I'm asking the Lord to provide for you. BTW, this is the year of St Joseph so I feel confident he will be guiding you as you journey to his son.

      Praying strength for Linda. Such a good woman and, I know, the love of your life.

      Thank you for your support and encouragment over the years, Vince. You're a treasure, and I'm so glad the Lord allowed our paths to cross through Seekerville.

      Remember my favorite prayer: Jesus, I trust in you!

      With love,
      Debby

      Delete
    7. Ah, Vince. I have walked in Linda's shoes and know how hard it is. She is in my prayers along with you. I am so sorry, my friend. We will greatly feel your loss here in Seekerville, but I am so impressed that you remember that nun's teaching. I will now remember it as well.

      Debby shared her favorite prayer. Mine is Jesus, I surrender to you. Please take care of everything. It sounds like you have surrendered yourself so fully. You are teaching us even now.

      Blessings until we meet again.

      Cate

      Delete
    8. Vince, I'm so sad, but so grateful you took the time to let us know. I can hardly find words. But I do want to say thank you for being such a friend to all of us. Thank you for your thoughtful reviews and for your generous support. Thank you for making us laugh and think. Please know you are loved and will be missed. You and Linda are in my prayers.

      Delete
    9. Love you, buddy. The wisest of the wise. I tell everyone about your RPP whenever I teach. YOU ARE THE MASTER. See you soon. xoxoxox

      Delete
    10. Vince, praying that you will have peace and comfort, and that you will be able to be salt and light to those you meet through this part of the journey.

      Delete
    11. Prayers for you and your family. My you find peace, comfort, and blessings as you continue on this journey. Thank you for your humor and wisdom. God bless you.

      Delete
    12. Vince --You and your dear wife are in my prayers. You have been such a vital part of our "village" for so very long. Thank you for your friendship, your support, your words of encouragement. You will be missed. But we do not grieve as those without hope, for we'll be seeing you again when we gather at the feet of Jesus!

      Delete
  6. Thank you for this great post, Mindy.

    I also ask my characters "Why?" Sometimes it takes a while to get past the surface and find out their true motivations, but it's worth it. Creating unforgettable characters is one thing that makes writing these stories so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, I couldn't help but pause on "unforgettable characters." I know I have several of those. They're like old friends.

      Delete
    2. I have occasionally finished a book, only to be a bit sad that I don't get to know what happened to a particular character after I reach then end of the book. I miss them - a sure sign of good writing.

      Delete
    3. Book friends are the best! I love to think of my characters interacting with some of my favorite literary friends.

      Delete
  7. Great post, Mindy. I need to continue to think what motivates my characters. I will ask them Why?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, you may be surprised how that one little question can change things and give you so much more insight into your characters.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for sharing this post Mindy. I personally like The Story Equation from Susan May Warren to discover more about my characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Lee-Ann. Whatever helps you dig and get to know them better.

      Delete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."