Friday, September 3, 2021

One of THOSE weeks....fun but crazy

 


LOOK AT THESE THREE COVERS!!!

 THEY CREATE ONE PICTURE! 

I DIDN'T KNOW THAT UNTIL SOMEONE 

POINTED IT OUT TO ME ON FACEBOOK! 

I REMEMBER DISCUSSING SUCH A THING 

WITH MY PUBLISHER BETHANY HOUSE 

BUT I DIDN'T KNOW THEY DID IT!!!

 I THINK IT'S SO COOL!

Okay, on to today's topic.


So on August 31, I turned in a revised book.

I am wrapping up my book due October 1st.

I also got notes about the book BEFORE the revised book, a few changes, before the book is sent to the (searching in my fevered mind for the phrase) I think it's the page designer.

So I'll soon get that back and get one more read-through and have to get it back.

And I'm also working on a proposal. I need to pitch my next series!!!

I also have a beta reader (okay a daughter) who goes through my revised books and finds THE MOST RIDICULOUS MISTAKES!!! 

God bless that girl. I told her when last I talked to her, in the middle of me fixing all the junk she'd found to never, ever again in her life, when I offered to buy her a meal, lunch, coffee, whatever, say no. She's earned it.

I seem to have some finger twitch that makes be type built when I mean build. Sent when I mean send. Think when I mean thing. I just do it so much it's a little scary. I have tried to pay my daughter but she sort of gives me a scary look and refuses. I get the feeling this qualifies as one of those things she'll do for love that she would NOT do for money.

Oh, and WOMEN when I mean WOMAN. That happens so often it's almost a compulsive thing at this point. What am I thinking? Occasionally men when I mean man, but not near as often as the woman/women thing.

So the trick with all this piling on at the same time is just the pure juggling of ideas. 

Uh, which book is this again?

Anyway, this week I've finally got the revisions turned in and am writing the grand finale, the black moment, the final explosive ending of my book. And I try to challenge myself. I remember a few books back thinking, "You know, I've never just written a flat out fist fight before. Sure a punch now and then, but a fist fight that goes on a while."

So I can face these things I've never done before and feel myself shying away from them because I am a coward and a colossal loser. So these days when I feel that shying reflex I think, okay, this is good, this is something I'm afraid to do because it's TRICKY. And then I force myself to do it.

The grand finale is a fight on top of a rushing train. How many times have we seen that in a movie? Men running along on top of a train, dangling over the edge of a speeding passenger car. So I'm doing that. I've got TWO fights going on the opposite ends of the train and the hero is trying to shake off the man trying to kill him so he can rush to save the heroine. Anyway, my heart is pumping a little just telling about it.

TRAIN FIGHT!!!!

Think about historical trains. Steam engines right? Wood burning? Coal burning? Where does the water come in? Where is the steam being boiled. In the engine right? It has to be, that's where they're stoking the fire, but does that water tank alongside the train station pour into the engine? Or is there a water tank feeding water into the engine?


Hey, I'm busy with fist fighting, running and dangling. Why do I have to figure out where the water is? I just do, I found out. So... research. Which is fun but time consuming.

I'm having a good time with it but as is my way, I'm writing it BADLY, then I'll need to go back and fix it. And no doubt loading it down with typos. Which I will take out when I'm revising, then add new ones in just because that seems to be an uncontrollable reflex on my part.


And all of it needs to be done FAST. 

Faster than a speeding train.

So action scenes...do you write them? Are they hard for you? Tell me your favorite action scene in a book, either one you've read or one you've written.

And NEXT MONTH I'll have a new book releasing

Love on the Range

Book #3 of the Brothers in Arms series.

Wyatt and Molly's story. (hint...there's a serial killer...no way! YES WAY!!!)

Buy from Amazon

Buy from Baker Book House

Wyatt Hunt is temporarily bedridden and completely miserable. Somehow Molly Garner's limited skills have made her the most qualified in their circle to care for Wyatt. But by the time he's healed, she's fed up with him and the whole ungrateful family. For even worse than his grumpiness were the few unguarded moments when he pulled at her heartstrings, and she has long determined to never marry.

Molly gets a job as the housekeeper at Oliver Hawkins's ranch. But really she's with the Pinkertons, spying to find out if Hawkins has abused women and if he's guilty of murder.

Wyatt refuses to let her risk it alone, convincing Hawkins that he's abandoning his own ranch, angered by his two brothers' coming to claim a big chunk of it.

But when another Pinkerton agent gets shot, they realize Hawkins isn't the only danger. The Hunt brothers will have to band together to face all the troubles of life and love that suddenly surround them.

17 comments:

  1. Action scenes! I love reading them!

    Writing them? Two minutes of action takes me forever to write. I go through it once, describing the action. Then the next time I come back to that scene, I find out that what was so clear in my mind isn't so clear in words. So the tweaking and revising begin. Then I have my husband read it - does it say what I wanted it to say? Boy howdy. It's work!

    And the typos - they happen more often the older I get. And there are those sneaky ones that always happen. Poor Mindy! Every time I type her name it comes out "Minday." And I find myself leaving off letters at the ends of words (and often comes out a) - or just leaving words out altogether. They take some careful proofreading.

    But those covers. I love what the Bethany House team did! One cool picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. they are so much work, Jan. I usually do about ten passes through to get them right. (Hopefully get them right) The movements, the feelings, the action and reaction, the sounds the smells the feel of it. Dialogue if there is any. So so so many details.

      Delete
    2. Jan, for what it's worth, my name comes out spelled that way when I'm typing, too. ;)

      Delete
  2. I agree that those covers are fantastic!! I've only written a few action scenes in a manuscript that probably won't ever see the light of day. It was fun, but it's a bit exhausting. Like Jan said, what's clear in your own mind may not translate onto the page.

    And hope you get a breather, Mary. Your month sounded crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no breather. I'm afraid to stop. What if I couldn't start up again!!! Disaster!
      Yes with the action. I can SEE it but you have to make sure everyone else can see it. Tons of work.

      Delete
  3. Mary, I love how they did the covers. I've never seen that before. Very cool. And action scenes are exhausting, but exhilarating at the same time. I can usually see them in my head, but my fingers just can't type fast enough. Many a dinner has gone unprepared at my house because of action scenes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't those cool!? Elizabeth Camden did a series called Hope and Glory with a cover like that and I loved it. I suggested it to Bethany, only of course mine is WESTERN. But I didn't know they did it. I LOVE IT!

      Delete
  4. The covers look amazing! And I can't wait to read the TRAIN FIGHT! How fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to pull it off, Erica. All I can do it try and hope it reads right. Gotta keep the locomotive roaring, the wind whipping by. Smoke stack steaming, wheels chugging.

      Delete
  5. I love how the covers connect!!! That is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That cover pic is the coolest! I think it would be a good one to get a physical copy made then have it framed for your office. I thought I had already ordered (and received) the first two books in this series, but I can't find them in my TBR pile. So, I just ordered all three. How much you want to bet the first two turn up in a book bag that got tucked here or there for a trip or something haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the tri-cover, Mary!

    Your train fight scene sounds exciting. Those action packed scenes are always a challenge and always take a lot of time. I wrote a chase scene last week for my next story, and then had to go back time and again to make it better. It's the little details as well as the pacing that make or break those actions scenes, IMHO. Tough to write, but fun to read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pacing, that's a good word. TO NOT stop the action in it's tracks with side bits about emotion and yet that emotion has to be there.

      Delete
  8. Great covers. Your train fight sounds amazing. I'm not very good at writing action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's not done yet but hopefully I can pull it off!!

      Delete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."