Wednesday, March 16, 2022

THE WRITE ATTITUDE REVISITED

By Debby Giusti

Dear Friends, I wrote this blog in 2008 and recently found it as I was scrolling through an old file on my computer. In this time of uncertainty, I thought it might bolster our determination, reaffirm our sense of purpose and help us to focus on the positive in spite of the military aggression against the Ukraine, talk of Resetting the World Order, the threat of nuclear attack and escalating inflation. Two years since the lockdowns began, Covid seems to be waning, but the globe is awash with discord, and conflict abounds.

When the world is in a state of flux, sometimes looking within can bring peace and harmony. So today, I offer this short reflection that, hopefully, will help us focus on our writing journey, whether we’ve only begun our pilgrimage to publication or whether we’re established authors with a sizeable backlist. The Write Attitude can apply to other areas of our lives, as well. Perhaps we’re raising children and need affirmation, or struggling with a new job, or going back to school for an advanced degree, or overcoming a physical challenge or medical disability—whatever the situation, our attitude can make the difference between success and failure. So today, no matter what road we’re on, let’s strive to do our best and leave the world a better place because of our Write/Right Attitude.

What makes the difference between a person who moves forward with their writing despite rejection and those who give up and forsake their dream?

 Attitude.

Hymen’s is a restaurant located on Meeting Street in Charleston, South Carolina’s historic district.  It’s a no-frills type of place that specializes in great seafood and quality service.  Everyone who’s employed there—from the Hymen brothers who own the business to the busboys and dishwashers—work hard to uphold the excellent reputation that keeps customers coming back year after year.  Attitude is so important at Hymen’s that the company policy, a short piece written by Chuck Swindoll, is given out to everyone who comes through the door. 

The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life.  Attitude, to me, is more important than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than success, than what other people think or say or do.  It is more important than appearance, giftedness, or skill.  It will make or break a company. . . a church. . . a home.  The remarkable thing is we have a choice everyday regarding the attitude we embrace for that day.  We cannot change our past. . . we cannot change the fact that people act in a certain way.  We cannot change the inevitable.  The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. . .  I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.  And so it is with you . . . we are in charge of our attitudes. ~Chuck Swindoll~

I keep my copy of Swindoll’s words near my computer as a reminder of the importance of having the right mindset in this industry. 

Yes, even published writers worry.  Will the editors like the next story idea?  Will I finish my current work in progress on deadline?  Is my writing improving? 



In her book, THE ARTIST’S WAY, Julia Cameron talks about the negative voices that bubble up when we reach for the stars.  “Why do you think you can write a book?” that voice taunts.  “You’ve written one book, but can you write a second?”         

Cameron advises countering the negative by writing positive phrases over and over again on a sheet of notebook paper, just as a child would do who’s been disruptive and has to copy I will not talk in class fifty times.  The repetition arms us with ammunition to shoot down the negative inner rhetoric so positive progress can be made.  

A Nike advertisement provides the following words of encouragement:

All your life you are told the things you cannot do. All your life they will say you're not good enough or strong enough or talented enough; they will say you're the wrong height or the wrong weight or the wrong type to play this or be this or achieve this. They will tell you no, a thousand times no, until all the no's become meaningless. All your life they will tell you no, quite firmly and very quickly.  And you will tell them yes! ~Nike ad~

Frank Soldovere was a great man and good friend who worked hard to make this world a better place.  Everyone who attended his funeral was given a card with the following passage by Theodore Roosevelt:

It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by the dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who, at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly; so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat. ~Theodore Roosevelt~ 



Attitude is a choice we make every day that gives us the courage to move forward with our writing career.  People will tell us we’re crazy.  The inner voice calls us a fool.  Editors may reject our stories, but we remain focused on our dream. When we believe in ourselves and in our work, we can overcome the odds and succeed. 

Attitude—the Write Attitude—makes the difference between someone who wants to write and someone who does. 

Does the world situation have bearing on your motivation and determination? Do you struggle to keep a positive attitude in these days of global strife? As Christians, we trust in the Lord and know that He is in control, but in addition to prayer, what other steps can be taken to improve our attitude? Leave a comment to be entered in a drawing for a digital copy of SMUGGLERS IN AMISH COUNTRY, a Publishers Weekly Bestseller for two weeks in a row! 

Wishing you abundant blessings! 

Debby Giusti 

www.DebbyGiusti.com


 SMUGGLERS IN AMISH COUNTRY

Uncovering secrets in this Amish town

could deliver deadly consequences.

When the robbery suspect she’s tracking begins attacking delivery girls in Amish country, officer Marti Sommers must go undercover as bait. With ex-cop Luke Lehman’s niece as one of the targets, this case is personal. After all, Marti’s rookie mistake ended with Luke injured and another officer dead. But can the two former colleagues stop a deadly smuggling ring…before Marti becomes the next victim?

Order on Amazon!



Still Available: THE AMISH SPRING ROMANCE COLLECTION. Order your copy HERE!

 


      


14 comments:

  1. Thank you for bringing this post back to us, Debby!

    The negative voices are so powerful at times! And most of the time they come from our own hearts and minds, not from others.

    I have to admit, those voices have been even louder over the past two years as I've been working to revamp my writing career. Things like, "you're too old for this," and "what makes you think you can write?" Even after thirteen published books, those voices are loud and clear.

    But my attitude is so important, just like you said. Another important piece that affects our attitude is our motivation. Who am I writing for? My own glory? I hope not - that's some stinkin' thinkin' that never gets me anywhere except wallowing in my own procrastination. My motivation comes from God - He called me to this, and He is why I tell these stories.

    Thanks again for the great thoughts this morning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, thanks for mentioning who we're writing for! If I were writing for myself, I would have given up long ago. To me, writing is a ministry that God has called me to do...so I keep working. Every year, I ask him if he wants me to continue, and he always says yes. That does provide motivation!

      I'm laughing that you mentioned being too old for this! I often have that thought, and in spite of my age, I keep writing. :) I guess we think alike!

      Delete
  2. This is truly a post worth bringing back....how we all need it! I always loved the quote by Chuck Swindoll!
    I would love to be entered for your book (IF it is a download w/Amazon; other types are too techy for me!).
    Keep on inspiring us all, Deb!! Blessings~~~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jackie, you're in the drawing! The Swindoll quote is so good, IMHO. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, this is something I needed so much today. How did you know?????

    Thank you, Debby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Saint Patrick's Day, Ruthy! You have such motivation, dear friend, and an amazing attitude. You're an inspiration to so many, including me!

      Delete
  6. What a timely post! Our attitude truly controls everything we do! I pray that I am always aware of my attitude and that I stop and think before I say or do anything to make sure I am saying it or doing it with the right attitude.
    Thanks for this great reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Edwina,
      You've had so much to juggle in the last few years, yet you always seem so positive. Bless you for how you handle the difficulties with grace! Hugs and Happy St Patrick's Day!

      Delete
  7. I needed this reminder, Debby. Thank you! Please put me in the drawing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, you're in the drawing! I see you as a very positive person, and I know you've had great heartache. Bless you for enduring and for inspiring others!

      Delete
  8. Great post. You are so insightful into what helps others. I admire you. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so sweet, Lucy! Thank you! Blessings to you, dear friend!

      Delete
  9. Thanks for the post. I think this applies to so many things.

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."