Monday, June 6, 2022

Five Steps to Creating Characters—Step Five


Five Steps to Creating Characters—Step Three

In February I talked about Make a character likeable by making someone like them. Linked below. In March I talked about Character Arcs, linked below. In April it was Give them Quirks. In May I talked about my main character types. Now this month how avoiding backstory dumps enhances you book and your characters

This month I’m talking about making characters quirky.

1.      Make a character likeable by making someone like them

2.      Character arcs

3.      Give them quirks

4.      My main character types

5.      Avoid backstory dumps

Avoid backstory dumps.

One of the great tricks of writing and character development is backstory. It makes her who she is, informs most of her decisions and drives all her relationships. But backstory is tricky. It has to be carefully doled out so it’s not a backstory dump. Those are clunky and boring. Those are story killers.

If you begin your book with your character behind the wheel of a car, driving and thinking about everything that’s brought her to this point. You’re doing it wrong.

Same goes for talking with a friend about all that’s come before. Just because you work it all into a conversation, doesn’t mean it’s not a backstory dump.

Stop that. Her backstory needs to be dealt out in sentences not paragraphs. In reactions.

A line I just wrote about—not about the Lumber Baron’s Daughters Series, those are all done, but my work in progress coming in July 2023…my delicate flower.


This is my WIP. The delicate flower seamstress loves to make dresses and she lives in a town full of men on the foothills of the Wind River Mountain Range in Wyoming which was, interestingly enough, the first state (it was still a territory then) to give woman the right to vote. All these men learned she knew how to make chaps (she didn’t really, she just looked at a pair and figured it out and they were a hit) Now every man in the territory wants a pair. She’s going mad and making a fortune with the stupid boring chaps.

Then she just discovered a homesteader new to the area with three half-grown daughters who are wearing britches and don’t even own dresses. The girls have rebelled against the britches. The dad doesn’t have any money. My heroine, desperate to make a pretty dress for someone had arranged a deal where the girls come in and work off the cost of their dresses for a dime a day, for about two hours work after school which they absolutely refuse to attend wearing britches.

An excerpt from that book, currently titled, Lady Justice. Book #2 of the currently titled Wyoming Sunrise series.

>>>The girls would deserve much more than a dime a day. But she didn’t want to do a single thing that would stomp on their pa’s pride.

            It was a tricky business, but she had learned well how to get past Web, her first husband. The fool had ideas that weren’t always fair or reasonable. And he didn’t like anyone, especially his wife, challenging him. She’d tried a very few times and remembered a stinging slap or two, or seven.

            Web’s attitude about his wife was a big part of her decision to let her brother go on west while she remained in Wyoming. Here she had the right to vote and she was finding it easy to remain safely unmarried. As a matter of fact, the more outspoken she was about women having rights equal to any man, the more she repelled suitors. In a town that was very lopsided toward men, that wasn’t easy.

            But she was proud to say she’d managed it. <<<

This is in chapter five and it’s the second book in a series. The first reference to my sweet, delicate Nell having suffered abuse in her first marriage. Although I have mentioned that she never says much about her first husband.


When you write a three-book series, it's tricky to introduce the characters who will populate the series but keep the main romantic hero and heroine front and center, while developing the secondary characters with an eye toward setting them up for their own story, often before I, as a seat-of-the-pants writer even know anything about them or their stories beyond the broadest strokes.

So toward that end, the future creation of characters, I’ve found it helps me to have the basic character types. To think in terms of quirks. To make them likeable by making people like them and by holding off on heavy backstory dumps, doling it out. That is my basic method for creating characters. And as my 71st book prepares to release, I guess I’ll keep doing it this way.

 


29 comments:

  1. Clearly you're doing something right! Congrats on #71.... you set the bar high, Connealy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a wonder isn't it Ruthy? And you're right there with me if not ahead. Can you believe it???

      Delete
  2. Mary, you don't have to write much about her first husband. The "one slap...or seven" says it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kaybee. I really didn't write much about him. But now I wonder if I UNDER did it??

      Delete
  3. Seventy-one. Same as my age.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't seem to be as verbose as I usually am.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 71st book??!! Oh my gosh! That's amazing. Yeah, I'd say keep doing what you're doing. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle. But I worry I might be getting lazy, predictable, you know? So I try and keep digging.

      Delete
    2. Always good to not get into a rut.

      Delete
  6. 71! Congratulations! I am so glad you wrote about backstory info dumps; that's where I have a big problem. I probably spend more time on un-dumping than I do on any other part of editing! I keep thinking, "the reader needs this info and of course this info," but like Kaybee agreed, one slap or seven said it all. I try to keep remembering to just drop a bit here and there. Now, one slap or seven said it all, will be permanently embedded in my brain. Thanks for all your help and encouragement!
    Here's a question, have you ever found the back story to be so interesting that you went back and wrote a book about it? I am holding back my new series because I found that the back story was the REAL traumatic story needing to be told. Now I have written two prequels. I guess that's a good problem. Should I continue on and have a six book series or should I have my original four book and publish the "Beginning" as a two book, later? Six seems to be such a long series, but my first was six and my readers still kept wanting more. I know Janette Oke did it, but most series are about three books aren't they? (Okay, that's more than one question, sorry!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh! Yes! I was having trouble liking my main characters and didn't really know them, so I've spent the last few months working on a prequel of their backstory that's just for me. It's giving me so much information that I hadn't known before and I'm really starting to love them!

      Delete
    2. Lynne and Michelle...the thing with a backstory dump is, you NEED that info. Your reader needs that info. So write it and cut it out and save it...for yourself. I have this sneaking suspicion that we write the backstory dump AND we salt in all that backstory when it's needed through the story. So you've written it twice. Once in the dump and once correctly and at the right time. I think you could cut the whole backstory dump, save it for yourself and just never use it because you're putting it in correctly without realizing it.

      Delete
  7. Congrats, Mary! Love the premise of your WIP! A strong woman and a strong man pitted against each other with three adorable children in the mix. What's not to love about your stories?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debby! I love strong and honorable characters at odds with each other at the same time they're falling in love. Yep, what's not to love.

      Delete
  8. Oh, those backstory dumps! They are so frustrating when I'm reading a book and run across one. They just throw a pail of cold water on the whole story.

    But you weave in the backstory perfectly, Mary. You said, "Her backstory needs to be dealt out in sentences not paragraphs. In reactions." Perfect! I've learned to do that (probably from reading your 70 books so far) and it works great. When you give a snippet of information your readers have to keep reading.

    And those snippets also round out your characters so well. A hint lets the readers' imaginations go to work and you don't have to fill in any more details. That one sentence, "And he didn’t like anyone, especially his wife, challenging him. She’d tried a very few times and remembered a stinging slap or two, or seven." It tells us all we need to know about Web, and why Nell stayed in Wyoming.

    Can't wait to read this new series!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As a fantasy author I am always fighting a battle against info dumping. Not just for my characters but also my setting, the magic system, the differing species, everything. Thanks for this reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicki I have a WHOLE WORLD of fascination and respect for fantasy authors. You have to build that world! How do you do it without pages of description? IT'S HARD. Fantasy authors have a cool and unique mind!!!!!

      Delete
  10. Hi Mary, it's Audra (still haggling with Google). Back story dumps are so easy to do, yet fatal to the story. Your suggestion is perfect and almost got a snort out of me, LOL. I think the deeper the POV, the easier for the character to just treat it as her past, rather than the author trying to incorporate backstory to justify the character.

    Snippets of the past are great. Let's keep those stories rolling forward!!

    Congrats on your upcoming Book 71!! WooHoo!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somebody do a blog post about deep POV. I think I might do it but I don't really know how to put it into words.

      Delete
  11. Mary, 71 books is amazing! You definitely have it down. This is a great post. Back story dump is a problem for me, I know. I am trying to work on that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sort of confusing to, when I'm writing a three book series, Sandy. Becuase I NEED to tell what happened in books #1 & 2...right? At least give a broad overview? Right? My editor seems to think a recap is in order.
      How is THAT not a backstory dump?

      Delete
  12. You are a master at giving us what we need to know about your characters in just the right amount at just the right time. Which is one of many reasons I adore your writing voice, Mary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You think, MeezCarrie? It's always a balancing act. I remember once, cutting, cutting, cutting backstory. And then like four years later I realized I'd named the first child of the romantic couple after the husband's father. Except I'd cut the father back so far (he's dead before the story starts) that I'd never named him. So the child, Jared with named after grandpa, but only I knew that.

      Delete
  13. If I would have told you, back in the day, that you'd have more than 70 books in print someday, you probably wouldn't have come out from behind that bookstore shelf to talk to me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, as long as you came back behind there and talked to me...I'd've been content! Love you, girl

      Delete
  14. Congratulations on #71. I’d definitely say your advice is working as readers love your books.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! 71 books is amazing! I love your stories, and you do a great job with background info, especially in a series. You put in enough that your books can stand alone (although why someone wouldn't want to read the whole series astounds me!), but not so much that it overwhelms. I love your insights into building characters, even though I doubt I'll ever need to use them, since I'm a reader and not a writer. I'll be sure to notice them when I start the second book in your present series, which should be any day now. Hugs, sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. As a huge fan of your stories, I'd say you've got a great handle on things. I love seeing how your stories unfold.
    Congrats to #71! I've already preordered this book and the next one. Can't wait to binge read this series. Also, this little excerpt from your WIP has me excited for it's release!

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."