Thursday, September 1, 2022

Retirement, Pt 4 - Health and Exercise

 

Hello everyone, Audra here. Thanks for riding along with me on my journey of retirement discoveries. Being newly minted to the role of retiree, I’m finding there are stumbling blocks in my “life of freedom” that I took for granted as I woke each morning to a work-a-day routine. Today’s topic? 



I don’t know about you, but from a very young age, I knew the good Lord had created me to be a couch potato. Yep, when left to my own devices, you’d find me either engrossed in my box of 64 Crayola crayons and a coloring book (this went on through college - don’t laugh!), reading a book (early habit - timeless in entertainment), selecting one of my 12 all-time favorite movies to watch for the 100th time.

Coloring
Pure Julia at Unsplashed

What do they all have in common? They are sedentary activities. Do they give me great joy? Yes. Do they help my body stay tuned and keep my brain alert? Not so much.

You’d think after inhabiting this planet for many, many, many years, I’d know what was good for me and make those choices automatic. 

Ha! Let me repeat that…HA! Everything is up for grabs in retirement!

Here are a few things to consider in order to help your brain and body be the best they can be:

Eat Healthier

By saying “healthier” I mean think about about what goes into your mouth. I’m a grazer by nature, so the 3 squares are nothing to me but the next time it’s socially acceptable to eat. Since I snack pretty much all day, I’m not a big portion eater at meals. That’s a saving grace! So when I think healthier, I try to grab good choices as I make my way through the kitchen. Grapes, rice crackers, popcorn - anything in bite-sized pieces. If packaged, I try to break up the package before I feel the need to eat it, so I can just taste, rather than consume.

Christian Wiediger Unsplashed

Drink Water

Living in Colorado, “drink more water” is a lifestyle motto. We’re very arid along the Front Range and it’s so easy to mistake hunger for thirst. When I’m out and about, I make sure I have my water bottle with me. At home, I take a quart jar and fill it half way with sparkling water (sweetened) and the rest of the the way with water and ice. It sits beside me at the computer, a constant reminder for me to take a sip. If my pantry is stocked with Wild Cherry, Fuji Apple or Mandarin Orange (those are the Walmart brand flavors), I might refill my jar 3 to 4 times a day! 

Laura Chouette Unsplashed


Exercise

It’s embarrassing to admit, but since leaving my office, I’ve lost muscle tone and fluffed up. The County (my employer) was adamant about healthy living and promoted healthy lifestyle choices in the form of workshops and challenges. Get Up And Move email reminders came from our Health representative all the time. You’d think 15 years of encouragement would create a concrete habit!

It did, sort of. My mind knows what I should do, but the desire is weak, LOL! 10K steps a day was easy when I had to run all over the fairgrounds. At home, I depend on my trusty pups to keep me walking. 10K steps a day is easy with them wanting to go on walks all the time.

Shhhh, don't wake them up! I'm not ready for another walk!!

This summer, I participated a bit more with the yard work. My husband was more than happy to put a weed-whacker in my hands, safety glasses on my face and turn me loose in the back yard. There’s an odd sense of accomplishment to look around the yard and realize I’ve just cleared the area of 18”- 24” high kochia weed and can once again find the Corgis when they roam through it. It’s a rewarding feeling to have muscles, other than hand and fingers, hurt.

I started stretching exercises out of necessity. Since I don’t have many interruptions any more, I noticed my muscles getting stiff when I moved away from the computer after sitting there for a couple of hours. Oh, how embarrassing!! Toe-touches and door jamb stretches have become staples throughout the day. There’s also a series of stretches my 89 year old aunt taught me in order to stay limber. 

Timo Volz Unsplashed


Did you catch that? My-89-year-old-aunt-is-giving-me-exercise-advice. Well, she is my favorite, so I listen and obey, LOL.

I know the tips and tricks I just rattled off are probably common place daily routines for most of you. They were in my structured, working world, too. But on my own, I now must take the advice I used to tell my kids: Make good choices.

Stay active. Eat well. Drink often (water)

Retirement does not mean you get to sit back and rust. Being an author does not have to contribute to “secretarial spread.” What works for you? I’d love to hear ideas to break the monotony of my limited routine!!

Now, I’m off to herd the pups around the back field for the third time today. 


22 comments:

  1. You and I are obviously cut from the same cloth! When I wasn't working I was very sedentary and still any time I'm home from work I almost have to force myself off the couch. Sloth is definitely my "pet" sin. These are not automatic choices for those of us who didn't inherit an athletic gene, but you are right that we need to make good choices or we suffer the consequences. Thanks for another great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you, Glynis, sloths unite! It's great to know I'm not alone in my "couch potato" lifestyle, LOL! My biggest fear when getting up and walking away from the computer is that I'll get sidetracked and forget to come back and finish what I was working on. Argh. I guess each phase of our lives has drawbacks. Maybe I'll add Prevagen to my Amazon subscribe and save list, LOL!

      Audra

      Delete
  2. I am right there with you on being a couch potato. I also have to make myself get up and do things at times. A few years ago I joined a gym called Just For Ladies. I love that only women will be there whenever I want to work out. What I enjoy most is my exercise class called Ageless Warriors for women over 50. It meets three times a week. I can't always go because of work, but when the pandemic shut everything down, the gym went to recording classes for people to do at home. People have long been coming back, but the instructor still records the class for those who can't make it. I am the one member who relies on it the most. Because I know they are counting on me watching, it makes me feel responsible to get on the computer and do the routine when I am home. I also enjoy walking and get lots of writing ideas from the walk, so that also helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandy, good for you! I think if I told my husband I was enrolling in another exercise class or renewing our membership at the rec center, he'd roll his eyes and go "do we think you're going to attend this time?" LOL! I love, absolutely love, the idea of going to exercise classes in person. What I'd really like to do is find a class that concentrates on stretches and building up your core. I've heard a strong core helps with balance. I've always been a klutz so I'll take whatever I can get 😋.

      Keep attending those online classes, Sandy. You are my inspiration!

      Delete
  3. I have "retired" to write full time. But working out has become vital for me. I used to run around a high school campus so steps weren't a problem. Now I do a circuit routine of stretches and weights with a friend every morning. Its a app on her phone and she is a home gym. We walk a mile every morning first. I am getting strong and the brain fog is lifting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo, Jeri yes! Brain fog has been a constant companion for months. And fatigue. I blame all my forgetfulness on narcolepsy, LOL!

      It's terrific to hear that you are writing full-time. That's the dream of every author, right? And good for you having a buddy to exercise with. I think accountability helps maintain any habit or routine. Keep up the good work with weights and cardio. I have some large cans of pinto beans in the pantry. Maybe I'll start hefting those around to jumpstart my "retired" muscles 😉
      Audra

      Delete
  4. Thanks for great reminders, Audra! Funny how I can't go anywhere without my water-filled Yeti! But water is so good for our thirsty bodies. Before heading to this blog, I had decided not to walk and to work at my computer instead. Hmmm? Maybe I should set a timer for 30 minutes at the computer and then take that walk! You're an encourager, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Water is so good for energy, too! My son is an engineer at our Water District. He claims we have the best tasting and healthiest water around! Talk about sounding like a company man, LOL!

      If I skip my morning walk with the pups, they don't let me forget it. In the summer, I won't try to work it into my schedule because the asphalt roads are too hot for their poor paw pads. I don't mind taking them out back in the fields, except Ollie (my daughter's Corgi who is camping out with us until she buys a house in S Dakota) must stay on a leash. What fun is that when a rabbit runs past you and you can't chase it?

      I could use an encourager walking buddy, Debby. Come walk with me!!
      Audra

      Delete
  5. I've been retired from teaching preschool for a bit over a year now and I am certainly not the same as when I was running with those kiddos on the playground! But I do stretches and walk about my yard. It's on a slope, so going up the driveway stretches my legs for sure! And I do drink lots of water. After Covid, soda pop doesn't taste the same! Some balk at retirement and keep working until they drop on the job, some love retirement. I love it. Keep up that walking!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen I'm with you. I love retirement! I completely agree that we should work as we age, but there comes a time when we can enjoy what we do AND be productive and a help to others. That's where I'm at now. I doubt if stress will be the culprit that kills me now, LOL!!

      Keep walking uphill and build those calf muscles; walking downhill works on the thighs. Great combo!!

      Audra

      Delete
  6. You're singing my song, Audra!

    I injured my left knee/leg doing jumping jacks a year ago (don't ask why - just DON'T follow my example if you're over 60!) and have been slowly getting back into shape. The injury has healed, so now I'm doing physical therapy and chiropractor treatments once a week to get my back and hip back into the shape they should be in. So it's 2 times a day of exercises prescribed by my PT, plus walking. I can tell I'm making progress, but I'm not back to walking 2 miles a day yet. (But we are still hiking in the Hills on a regular basis!)

    Water is another thing - we're semi-arid here in the Black Hills and I carry my water everywhere. My goal is 4 quarts a day, plus non-plain-water drinks.

    And healthy eating? I had to change my diet last year, too. The idea is to avoid Type 2 diabetes. So it's low-carb and no sugar (or very little sugar.) And no convenient snacks. No regular bread. I go a little crazy if I'm too busy to prep my snacks and meals, but when I eat right I feel better, so it's worth it.

    Retirement and aging go hand in hand, don't they? My goal is to keep healthy and active, even though most of favorite activities are sedentary. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The term fluffed up is so true! I have to really force myself to move when I'm on deadline! I will admit that I can finally say I drink enough water. At the age of 49 I dropped pop completely. I hardly miss it now, but it was hard!

      Delete
    2. Jan, Jumping Jacks? Really? I'm NOT going to ask what or how anything happened, I'm just confirming the activity so I can cross it off my list, LOL!

      I need to stretch before I can try anything more aggressive. The thought of tearing muscles or wrenching joints just isn't my idea of fun. Besides, I love walking - and plan to do much more once the temp goes down. I'm such a pansy when it comes to heat.

      I'm slowly changing my diet, as well. I'll always be a carnivore, and protein is great for the body. My downfall is bread. If I breakdown and buy fresh baked Italian bread, half of it is gone by the time I get home. Nothing makes me smile more than gluten :)

      Audra

      Delete
    3. My taste buds changed a bit with COVID, too. I've always been a sugar-free kinda gal when it comes to sodas, I have other things to splurge my calories on, LOL. The biggest taste difference I notice now is Chinese food. I used to be a wimp with the spice palate, but now, unless I bite into those deadly red peppers, I don't seem to notice the heat in dishes. It's a nice change, really :)

      Audra

      Delete
    4. Yes, jumping jacks. *eyeroll* I should have known better!

      Delete
  7. Ha, welcome to the unstructured world of retirement, if you let it be :) You're still an infant in the retirement game, so I have complete faith in you. I've had to create a schedule...of sorts...to keep me to my game of writing, producing, narrating and all the hats those things make wear. No hourly schedule, except to know I have to get up, drink water (yes, you taught me that) and then fit in a real exercise session. As I said, you're a baby in the retirement game :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, LA, I must say I've learned A LOT from you, so if nagging you to drink water has contributed to any part of a healthy retirement, I'll take it, LOL!!

      I thought maintaining a schedule would be a simple task. Just continue on as I had done with day job, only replacing admin work with author stuff. Not that easy. I have fallen into a routine of taking care of chores in the morning and then writing in the afternoons. That's how I started writing back when my kids were still taking naps. The groove is there, I just need to find it.

      Thanks for stopping in and saying hi!!!

      Audra

      Delete
    2. My schedule of sorts is simply that I **try** to write or do something in that pile of to-do’s every day except the weekend. Some days I look up and hours have passed, other days excruciating minutes ❤️

      Delete
    3. Odd that last reply to your reply was me...haha, Anonymous strikes again.

      Delete
    4. I'm permanently stuck in Anonymous-land. I don't wish it on anyone!!

      Audra

      Delete
  8. I was beginning to fear I may never get to retire from my bookkeeping job, but recent developments give me hope! :) I'm glad you finally got to bid adieu to your job and that you can now write and weed whack and walk dogs whenever you want! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. May I know what the stretches are that your aunt taught you. I'm 30 and still live at home and don't work, so I mean am I retired? No. Writing will be my work. I tried calisthenics today and it was fine, but I much prefer more gentle exercise. Maybe walking, dancing, and stretching will work for me. I am blind so I can't learn from pictures. Oh, this is Kayla James by the way.

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."