Monday, November 28, 2022

It's the Beginning of Advent Season

 Erica here: I'm so thankful that Advent season is here. It's my favorite time of the year. This year, the Seekers wanted to share this special time with our readers, and gift you some of our favorite recipes and a favorite Christmas book or movie.




My recipe is for Microwave Peanut Brittle and here's what you'll need:

1/2 c Corn Syrup

1 c Raw Spanish Peanuts

1 tsp. Baking Soda

1 c. Sugar

pinch of salt

1 tsp Butter

1 tsp. Vanilla


Instructions: Mix corn syrup, sugar, and peanuts, and stir well in a microwave safe glass bowl. Cook on high for 3 minutes and 45 seconds. Stir well and cook for 4 minutes. Add butter and vanilla and cook again for 2 minutes. Add baking soda last and stir well. Pour out onto a greased cookie sheet. Allow to cool and break into pieces and serve. Microwave times may vary, and be careful because the mixture gets VERY hot. Hint: Don't try to make a double batch.



As for my favorite Christmas movie, it is hands down the 1951 version of A Christmas Carol called Scrooge starring Alistair Sim. I cannot celebrate Christmas until I have watched it. A close second is The Man who Invented Christmas, another story of A Christmas Carol.

I'm wishing you and yours a blessed Advent season as you prepare to celebrate the birth of our Savior.


Erica

14 comments:

  1. Erica, that brittle sounds yummy, and I'm in favor of ANYTHING you can do in a microwave. My favorite Christmas movie is "It's A Wonderful Life." It's not theologically sound (honestly, we don't KNOW how angels get their wings), but I love the message of restoration and redemption. My other favorite is the modern classic "Elf." Whatever else Will Ferrell has done, he gave us this.
    Tying up some loose ends on one of my nonfiction projects and expect to be starting a new fiction project in January. It's an exciting time to be a writer.
    Kathy Bailey
    Your Kaybee
    Decking the halls in New Hampshire

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a Wonderful Life is one of my favorites, too! You're right, "not theologically sound" is a understatement, but the message is loud and clear!

      Delete
    2. I love It's a Wonderful Life, and Elf is a crack up! Yay for new projects in the New Year!

      Delete
  2. I love A Christmas Carol! I have to admit, the original version was a bit scary to watch the first time, but so was the Wizard of Oz! The classic story lines and messages encouraged me to watch them again and again (and again!).

    Your peanut brittle recipe is now on my "try it" list!

    Audra, the Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't know how scary Wizard is until you watch it for the first time with a five year old and find them in your lap looking for reassurance! :)

      Delete
  3. And now I want peanut brittle. While I'm watching While You Were Sleeping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While You Were Sleeping is an EXCELLENT Christmas movie to watch while eating peanut brittle! :)

      Delete
    2. Mindy, you're watching a sweet movie in the morning? Oh, how my day would be shot (productively) if I started it that way, LOL! -audra

      Delete
  4. The Alistair Sims Christmas Carol is my favorite version of the story, hands down! Although I also like the 1984 version where George C. Scott plays Scrooge. The Ghost of Christmas Present (played by Edward Woodward) is priceless in his disdain for the unredeemed Scrooge.

    And thanks for the recipe! I recently found a similar microwave peanut brittle recipe, but the amount of ingredients was larger. A smaller batch is just what we need around our house. Enough to enjoy, but not enough to tire of!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind the Muppet Christmas Carol version either! :D

      Delete
  5. Great recipe, Erica! Thanks. It sounds easy. Advent blessings to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easy, and we make several batches each Christmas and give them as gifts!

      Delete
  6. I may have to try this recipe, Erica. Maybe this is strange, but my favorite version of A Christmas Carol is the Magoo version. That was probably the first one I ever saw.

    ReplyDelete

If you have trouble leaving a comment, please "clear your internet cache" and try again. You can find this in your browser settings under "clear history."